ADVERTISEMENT

SEC Commish, "One Thing is not like the Other" BS line on Gameday...

Mayoman

6000+
Gold Member
Sep 13, 2001
building the case of having both UGA and Bama in the CFP if the Tide rolls the Dawgs. Have 5 of the T15 BS.

Herbie with his "one of the best vs most deserving" BS...dissing FSU for their weak schedule only beating LSU and FL etc. and glossing over the Cards facing the 3rd string QB as if the rest of the FSU team is chopped liver.

Desmond with his "BIG with the most best teams" BS

They all concede undefeated UW punched their ticket as an unbeaten conference champion last night yet downgrade FSU whether they win and also become an unbeaten conference champion b/c as McAfee chimed in "the two weakest leagues are the ACC and B12" etc"

Gameday might as well be the playoff committee in absentia and just declare its the SEC vs the BIG no matter what.

Even when they attempt to be impartial their biases surface to the top when they discuss who the F4 will and should be.

Go Cards beat FSU!

building the case of having both UGA and Bama in the CFP if the Tide rolls the Dawgs. Have 5 of the T15 BS.

Herbie with his "one of the best vs most deserving" BS...dissing FSU for their weak schedule only beating LSU and FL etc. and glossing over the Cards facing the 3rd string QB as if the rest of the FSU team is chopped liver.

Desmond with his "BIG with the most best teams" BS

They all concede undefeated UW punched their ticket as an unbeaten conference champion last night yet downgrade FSU whether they win and also become an unbeaten conference champion b/c as McAfee chimed in "the two weakest leagues are the ACC and B12" etc"

Gameday might as well be the playoff committee in absentia and just declare its the SEC vs the BIG no matter what.

Even when they attempt to be impartial their biases surface to the top when they discuss who the F4 will and should be.

Go Cards beat FSU!
Herbie's "best" vs the "deserving" appears to have not been considered when they showed the 12 team CFB bracket for this season. Would #12 seed Tulane currently ranked @ 22 be the best or most deserving?

Halftime georgia/alabama was entertaining as hell. Announcers and halftime crew are panicking big time. They sure were talking about UofL needing to win if Georgia loses. What a bunch of tools.

Reactions: CardsFirst
They definitely need to expand the playoffs but like you posted if they do they will claim more of their teams in it. I think that TCU’s performance in the title game hurt.

In a 12 team playoff no one should be initially eligible for the playoff if they didn’t finish 1st or 2nd in the their league. If any power conference 2nd place teams have 3 losses or more then open it up. I am good going deeper into conferences. Even if Louisville finished 2nd in ACC if they lost 3 games they shouldn’t get a spot.

Going by rankings when the SEC and Big Ten get all the advantages is a flaw in the playoff. The best win by the SEC in out of conference games was UK beating Louisville. We are only evaluating the SEC on conference games. Ranking are too easy to manipulate.

LSU has 1 win in conference that mattered yet they are in top 15 with 3 losses. That kind of ranking artificially inflated other SEC teams.

That doesn’t mean Alabama and Georgia aren’t elite. That doesn’t mean doesn’t mean Mississippi and LSU are elite. Same with Penn State they went 0-2 against Michigan and Ohio State why should they be rewarded?

Reactions: KozmasAgain
Especially corso. FWIW - he sounds like he’s eating a bag of d*cks when he mumbles his comments.
Why you want to pick on an old man who battled back from a severe stroke that affected his speech? Get a grip.

Regardless of his take on UofL now, he was one of us and provided some good FB times for us. I admire the man for having the courage to still put himself out there to do what he does.

That being said...He has Herbie in his ear and they are sick about their darling OSU and punish UofL for it. Go figure.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2330859
Corso left a long time ago for the Indiana job his contribution was only for a few years. He has not been very complimentary towards Louisville since he left. I put him in the same category as Butch Beard and Jerry Eaves who gave 4 years each to our programs success. I have no desire to recognize any of them for their achievements at Louisville since they have only made negative comments towards our program. All 3 of them do not deserve our respect.

Why you want to pick on an old man who battled back from a severe stroke that affected his speech? Get a grip.

Regardless of his take on UofL now, he was one of us and provided some good FB times for us. I admire the man for having the courage to still put himself out there to do what he does.

That being said...He has Herbie in his ear and they are sick about their darling OSU and punish UofL for it. Go figure.
The comment was probably over the top with respect to what he’s been through recently but to be fair, he’s been a Vitale like buffoon for a number of years now and he’s currently embarrassing himself weekly.

Also, just because he coached UofL for a couple of years - that in no way makes him one of us.

I remember years ago when Lee Corso left Louisville for Indiana and it wasn’t going well for Lee at Indiana. I was watching the Tonight Show and Burt REYNOLDS was hosting the show for Johnny Carson. Burt REYNOLDS introduced Lee Corso as his former teammate and roommate from FSU. Then Burt REYNOLDS said “ Lee you should have stayed at Louisville “.

I listen to a lot of podcast and shows on college football no one is great at predictions. At least gamblers use data to frame their predictions. They may still be wrong but at least it involves actual game data.Data isn’t everything because things happen in games that are random. Stop watching Gameday I have I just listen to gambling shows that analyze games.

College football has never been about on the field performance it has become a political event which is ridiculous. Money and PR is all that matters. I am for the 12 team playoff but it is going to be the same. SEC and Big Ten are going to grab all the at large spots.

Last edited:
Reactions: Guardman
I agree with you but the thing that hurts other schools is when a team like TCU gets in and then gets blown out. The thing that will change the system is when teams outside the big boy club wins in the playoffs. With the expansion of the playoffs that will more than likely happen sooner than later.

I agree with you but the thing that hurts other schools is when a team like TCU gets in and then gets blown out. The thing that will change the system is when teams outside the big boy club wins in the playoffs. With the expansion of the playoffs that will more than likely happen sooner than later.
Kozmas, you are a positive person. IMHO, New CFP will help only SEC/B1G.

Reactions: Mayoman
I agree with you that 6 to 8 of the slots will go to SEC and B1G teams but I think at least 4 slots will go to teams not affiliated with those 2 conferences. Like I posted earlier that if one of those 4 teams that makes it in the bottom can win the title or make it to the Championship game that will help change the big boy culture.

The comment was probably over the top with respect to what he’s been through recently but to be fair, he’s been a Vitale like buffoon for a number of years now and he’s currently embarrassing himself weekly.

Also, just because he coached UofL for a couple of years - that in no way makes him one of us.
We can agree to disagree on this.

He did get us to a bowl game during his short time here though so he is in the record book for that. Sorry you have issues with that and him.

I agree with you that 6 to 8 of the slots will go to SEC and B1G teams but I think at least 4 slots will go to teams not affiliated with those 2 conferences. Like I posted earlier that if one of those 4 teams that makes it in the bottom can win the title or make it to the Championship game that will help change the big boy culture.
Kozmas, I know you know this. There will be 12 total slots. At least 8 or 9 will go to SEC/B1G . IMHO.

They definitely need to expand the playoffs but like you posted if they do they will claim more of their teams in it. I think that TCU’s performance in the title game hurt.
Sure it did for the G5 but FSU is a P5 whose won a NC recently

We can agree to disagree on this.

He did get us to a bowl game during his short time here though so he is in the record book for that. Sorry you have issues with that and him.
No need to be sorry - I don’t have any “issues” with that or him other than the observations that I expressed.

FTR, I don’t consider kragthorpe to be “one of us” either.

It’s all about TV money, and ESPN and ABC are driving most all of these decisions.

To me it is real simple set specific criteria for at large teams. Number 1 being you have to be 2nd in your conference. Ten spots equally distributed, Power 5 conference 2 spots and non power 5 2 spots. In years where the conference doesn’t produce a worthy 2nd place team then go to then go to the pool. Then use a BCS like formula to determine which teams to fill those spots.

We all know initially the 12 team playoff won’t produce a different champion. However let teams earn it on the field if they don’t that is OK.

In this scenario Louisville is in the playoff not Miss. Resume doesn’t matter Louisville finished 2nd. Now let’s say Louisville lost 3 regular season games still finished 2nd then Miss would replace. I have no issue with that Miss earned that spot by only having 2 losses. The non power 5. Think about the year UCF and Louisville were both really good. They get in that year.

This isn’t hard. It needs to be framed more like the NFL. It can’t be framed in opinions or eye test.

Last edited:
They aren't going to set specific criteria that fans want.

It's tied to $ and most years they don't have to pull shenanigans to get what they want.

Just follow the $.

As we see, there are no repercussions for them they can do and do what they want.

Next year when they have the 12 team playoff can’t wait to see the pairings. They will pair teams like they do in basketball and the lowest ranked team will play the highest ranked team. The only thing that will prevent this is iff they pair teams for the higher TV rating like they do in basketball.

The sickening reality is that this is a monopoly. Not much different than NFL/NBA/Amazon/Walmart/Apple/Microsoft.

Fox and ABC/ESPN control 98% of what we can watch. And they want us to watch the traditional fan favorites in the SEC and Big Ten. Because they make absolutely the most amounts of money by doing that. If they could show tOSU, Michigan, Alabama, Georgia, Texas, Oklahoma and Penn State every day of the week, they would do it.

Eyeballs. Eyeballs.

Money. Money.

Nothing to do about it. The government won't break up Amazon. They sure as heck are not going to break up the College Football Monopoly held by Disney and Murdoch.

It's a potential jump the shark thing. If access is officially taken away it will be interesting to see if the product can sustain.

Even half of your teams in power leagues are just fillers and have no real shot at playing for championships.

How would this fanbase handle what happened to FSU? Or any other non traditional program?

FSU is a traditional power!

It's a potential jump the shark thing. If access is officially taken away it will be interesting to see if the product can sustain.

Even half of your teams in power leagues are just fillers and have no real shot at playing for championships.

How would this fanbase handle what happened to FSU? Or any other non traditional program?

FSU is a traditional power!
fsu just “othered” by the big boys. Question is - are they too egotistical and stupid to realize that is their future if they join the sec or, will they see the writing on the wall and work together with the rest of the conference to strengthen where they’re at?

I’m betting on the ego and stupidity…

fsu just “othered” by the big boys. Question is - are they too egotistical and stupid to realize that is their future if they join the sec or, will they see the writing on the wall and work together with the rest of the conference to strengthen where they’re at?

I’m betting on the ego and stupidity…

That would be a safe bet. When you combine tens of millions of dollars per year less TV money with reduced opportunities to qualify for the playoffs as an at large team (due to the same “eye test” that cost them the fourth spot this year), that’s going to make it even more likely that they make a deal to join the SEC or Big Ten as soon as they can.

FSU joining the SEC or B1G makes it more likely they won’t make the playoffs. They are better off staying in the ACC and winning the conference. I think they got screwed this year and it will be more believable if they beat Georgia in the Orange Bowl. There is a lot of people nationwide talking about this and everyone is talking about ESPN being the problem.
ESPN wants certain teams in and they have the money to sway the committee to do what they want. ESPN sucks and so does the people on the committee. There is more money involved then what I realized. Not making the playoff is going to cost FSU 30 million dollars. This has become a rigged system and the Congress needs to get involved and reel ESPN in.

They also need to make sure the makeup of the committee is fair and unbiased. Make sure the committee is not overloaded with SEC or B1G officials. I read an article tonight that there are more changes coming to college sport. I firmly believe that ESPN and the NCAA Will totally ruin college athletics.

Reactions: 2330859 and Mayoman
Look money isn’t going to continue to climb for sports. NFL is consuming everything and is the exception. As more TV money pours into the NFL it is impacting other sports value. Mark Cuban didn’t sell because he saw a bright future with TV for the NBA.

It doesn’t take much to turn people against a product especially in the entertainment space. College football is unique and gambling has helped create a new level of viewership. But the transition to streaming has been rocky and the next go around of TV deals not be as favorable. If they keep playing this political game of using conferences affiliation to determine playoff spots it will eventually impact viewership. The games have to matter.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT