ADVERTISEMENT

Louisville WBB vs. NC State

I think Cochran is the real deal, don’t forget she’s only a freshman and she went toe to toe with Cunane.

We lost that game because we played me ball not team ball in the last 3 minutes. Dana didn’t do us any favors in the last 90 seconds. Two mental mistakes cost us big time
I felt like Dana tried to will the team to a win but her mistakes cost us the win.

Last edited:
We’re in all likelihood a three seed after today and I’m fine with that. No big wins so we earned it. I’ve said it before and it honestly is surprising to me, but we’re just not a good shooting team. We have the potential, but not there yet. NCST has officially knocked us off the power team in the ACC.

Feels like there’s nothing more we could’ve done on the inside there to avoid fouls. Hate to see soft calls in big games.

Reactions: Deeva
State assisted on 13 of 22 baskets. We had a lousy 7. Team ball verses hero ball!! Dana had a bad week. Need her to step up or we are a sweet sixteen team at best.

Good game. Only negative i have with Jeff he needs too find some true bigs . Watching his teams over the years this seems to be the issue that hurts them most often.
Don't get this opinion when there's three post players on the team. All 6'4 and taller. Cochran and Dixon are a above average center duo in the game. Parker needs some strength but she's tall.

The problem is at wing forward. Balagun is the only true wing player as the rest of the Cards that play are small guards. Balagun has been a bit of a disappointment as she barely played today.

Reactions: rh62531
Feels like there’s nothing more we could’ve done on the inside there to avoid fouls. Hate to see soft calls in big games.
I think our bigs did a pretty good job with Cunane, she’s a handful. What let’s us down was everyone else. Just not playing up to their potential, which was bad today, but great for our future. Balugon and K. Smith our the most disappointing. Dana will snap back hopefully for the NCAA tournament

Reactions: Sab3rs and Deeva
He has two quality bigs right now and a reasonable third option. Cunane, who is 6’5”, is one of the best post players in the country.

Last edited:
Reactions: CardsFirst
Don't get this opinion when there's three post players on the team. All 6'4 and taller. Cochran and Dixon are a above average center duo in the game. Parker needs some strength but she's tall.

The problem is at wing forward. Balagun is the only true wing player as the rest of the Cards that play are small guards. Balagun has been a bit of a disappointment as she barely played today.
You guys are the women BB experts more so than i. I follow the team not anywhere like you folks do. Just my observation which according to you guys is wrong which is cool by me. What i saw today was a team that did not get rebounds when it counted.

You guys are the women BB experts more so than i. I follow the team not anywhere like you folks do. Just my observation which according to you guys is wrong which is cool by me. What i saw today was a team that did not get rebounds when it counted.
We got out rebounded by 4 against one of if not the best bigs in the game. Your comment was that Jeff needs to go out and get true bigs. Well he has true bigs, three of them. Cunane is a sophomore Cochran is a Freshman. Cochran is developing right on schedule. I don’t know that Cunane will want to deal with Cochran next year. Dixon is junior and I’ll be honest I’m not a big fan. She’s not very athletic and has slippery hands. And can’t make a layup consistently. Our third big Parker in my opinion is the most athletic of the three and reminds me Kylee Shook. She I believe will be great in time. So I think we’re in great shape with Cochran and Parker.

Our game today was lost by our guards and forwards, they just don’t shoot consistently and made some pretty bad decisions. Me ball not team ball will get you beat almost every time. Dana on her last drive made a terrible decision and then she backs it up with a horrible defensive decision. Leaves Perez to triple cover Cunane leaving Perez wide open for the 3. She just tried to do to much. Me ball not team ball.

Cunane had scored 29 and 27 in the last two games she scored 20 today and that came late. Also Cunane had 9 rebounds Cochran had 8. Pretty darn even. Nope this wasn’t on our bigs.

I think our bigs did a pretty good job with Cunane, she’s a handful. What let’s us down was everyone else. Just not playing up to their potential, which was bad today, but great for our future. Balugon and K. Smith our the most disappointing. Dana will snap back hopefully for the NCAA tournament
I agree, I think the refs just messed up some calls on the interior, that’s just part of women’s college basketball currently. Our program will be a championship contender next season for sure, and after that as well. Just a tough year, the 6’5” big we are getting should help a lot with interior size. I think we will have a very deep rotation going forward, it’s fun to watch the women when they’re clicking.

That one hurt. 0-2 against NC State and the games have been on our court and a "neutral" NC court. I really thought their earlier win was a bit flukish and we would get a nice win today.

I expected a really big effort out of the team to day. The effort was there but the play was not. We were out-assisted 13-7 and out-rebounded 35-31, but we did out foul them 15-7.

In retrospect we simply were not as good as I once thought we would be. It used to be you could build a good team around 1 great player (usually a back court type) but much harder to do now.

I don't know much about organized basketball but I got uneasy when I saw Coach go with this 4 guard line up early this year. I have followed girls college basketball fairly closely and the biggest change in the game I have seen over the past 5 years or so is the emergence of big girls (i.e., 6'4" and up). I thought we had the bigs this year to make a difference but we were still pretty much a backcourt/wing oriented offense.

Van Lith is a fine replacement for Evans but until Coach sees the need to find and develop a good inside game I think there is a glass ceiling on our overall success. Hope for a nice tournament run. All JMO

Peace

Reactions: Deeva
I’ve waited to respond. First, Cunane is an All ACC player and as a Junior, a hell of a player. NC State has now beaten us twice and South Carolina and if it wasn’t for the love affair the Basketball world has for Dawn Staley, they would and should be a 1 seed. Secondly, I get so tired of the bashing CJW’s gets from our so called experts except Sonja, here and on other sites about his lack of a 6’5” stud. You think he doesn’t try and recruit them? Finding tall athletic girls that can play his style is a challenge. Sure, we have one on the way but don’t loose the fact that Volleyball is her first sport but we will be glad to have her. Another off season in the gym and weightroom will do wonders for Cochran, Dixon and Parker if she buys in. As far as Dana is concerned, enjoy her last games. She’s a special player and overall person and will use this game to refocus and get even better. I have no doubt she will bring it in the tournament. The ACC with NC State, UofL, Syracuse, Ga Tech and Va Tech are going to be matchup nightmares. I can’t wait!

I’ve waited to respond. First, Cunane is an All ACC player and as a Junior, a hell of a player. NC State has now beaten us twice and South Carolina and if it wasn’t for the love affair the Basketball world has for Dawn Staley, they would and should be a 1 seed. Secondly, I get so tired of the bashing CJW’s gets from our so called experts except Sonja, here and on other sites about his lack of a 6’5” stud. You think he doesn’t try and recruit them? Finding tall athletic girls that can play his style is a challenge. Sure, we have one on the way but don’t loose the fact that Volleyball is her first sport but we will be glad to have her. Another off season in the gym and weightroom will do wonders for Cochran, Dixon and Parker if she buys in. As far as Dana is concerned, enjoy her last games. She’s a special player and overall person and will use this game to refocus and get even better. I have no doubt she will bring it in the tournament. The ACC with NC State, UofL, Syracuse, Ga Tech and Va Tech are going to be matchup nightmares. I can’t wait!
Apparently you haven’t read the threads because no where have I bashed CJW. I have pointed out that we have 3 valid bigs and that they went up again the top big in the country and Cochran as a freshman did damn well. Read above I wasn’t alone and I’m talking besides Sonja

Dana, in the last three possessions prior to last second shot, either threw it away or shot a contested shot by three defenders.
The Lady Cards had the ball for the last shot in three of the four quarters, and did not score. NC State HD the ball for one last possession n the third, and Dana fouled with one second on the clock, and made two shots. Left too many points on the floor.

I also thought we played me ball today and on the last drive Dana was covered by multiple players. She should have driven the lane and kicked it to HVL for a wide open mid range shot. This might be a good loss, the players feel the sting of losing a tournament game but the season is not over. Hopefully they have learned from this and use this to our advantage.

Dana is the leader of this team and everyone is counting on her. I really thought Kono should have played a little more towards the end. I also think the ACC is a whole lot better than what everyone is giving them credit for. As far as Sydni Schetnan she will be on basketball scholarship so her main focus will be basketball.

The players coming in next year will be a 6’5” center ( who jumps), a 6’1 1/2” guard ( who jumps ) and a 6’ 3” forward. The future is bright but this season is not over yet. If we get back to our game of passing the ball around and looking for the good shot I think we have a good run in the tournament.

Dana, in the last three possessions prior to last second shot, either threw it away or shot a contested shot by three defenders.
The Lady Cards had the ball for the last shot in three of the four quarters, and did not score. NC State HD the ball for one last possession n the third, and Dana fouled with one second on the clock, and made two shots. Left too many points on the floor.

Dana has had a great career here. See had a wilted performance ACC tournament this year. That cannot be denied. Hopefully she will have a great NCAA tournament this year. Odds are. She is due.

Cunane went over the back of HVL on a rebound that literally forced Hailey close to the end line; it would have been the 4th foul on Cunane and affected the NCST half court game ...... but the officials refused to call the obvious foul.

It was not just the NCST game, which the audio portion on the radio made evident this was a home game for the Lady Wolfpack. The officials set the tone the entire tournament where the Cards were whistled on the defensive end, but were not treated the same when on the offensive end. The disparity in free throws was criminal.

Admittedly, Dana definitely struggled the last part of the regular season, as well as this ACC tournament. With that said, the officials refused to whistle the number of times that Dana was fouled on her drives to the basket. There is one photo taken late in the 4th quarter where Dana drove into the paint and was met by three defenders, one of which shows hitting Dana’s arm resulting in a turnover........ no call. This would have been automatic at the opposite end of the court.

This is not to say that we would have won, as frankly I believe NCST is the best 4th quarter team in the country. I just wish the Lady Cards were treated fairly by the officials, something that did not happen the entire tournament.

They were so physical on Dana in the WF game and no calls were made I think that completely threw her out of rhythm. I hope CJW addressed the foul disparity with the ACC office.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT