ADVERTISEMENT

HVL and LSU struggles

Four-Star Poster
Nov 28, 2002
I am not fixated on either HVL, or LSU; however, my interest in both Women’s Basketball and specifically UL draws my attention to any related players and quite honestly the departure of HVL from UL remains a bit of a mystery.

I only caught the last portion of the 3rd quarter, and the last 7 minutes of the 4th quarter, as TX A&M upset LSU yesterday, but it was sufficient to see why the Lady Tigers lost their second game of the year. I would not blame the loss entirely on HVL, but her 1-9 shooting performance along with her 3 TOs in 28 minutes was clearly the most obvious contributing factor. With that said, an even greater observation was how much time HVL spends dribbling around the perimeter looking for her own shot. Mulkey played her at point guard, but it was evident that Mulkey was disappointed with HVL‘s performance, as their half court offense stagnated when HVL was on the court.

LSU has a lot of talent on that roster, and I would not minimize their success come March tournament time, but I would say thus far that HVL‘s transfer has not advanced either her career or LSU‘s chances for another NC.

I am glad you posted this because I was thinking about doing the same. I thought they lost to Auburn not Texas A&M though. HVL made a huge mistake transferring to LSU and she will probably pay the price. I have only seen LSU play once and HVL was open plenty of times clapping her hands shouting for the ball and they never passed her the ball.

She has to realize she is on a team that has superior talent and she is not the main show. Her desire to be a point guard is looking like a mistake because she is not doing very good in that position. She is getting beat on defense almost every time. I can see her minutes decline if she continues to struggle.

Not shocking, tigers (Pardon the pun) don’t lose their strips. HVL is doing the same as she did here. Unfortunately for her LSU is loaded and if she doesn’t fall in line she’ll be riding the pine. LSU most certainly will be a contender and I would love the Cards to sink Mulkey’s ship.

UL WBB team is quietly moving up in the rankings, while at the same time the transferees are gaining an understanding of Jeff's defensive strategy, his offensive half court spacing and accepting the rotation. All of the pundits are pointing out to the balance and the depth .......... all true, but I believe this team's greatest strength is the overall experience and maturity they will have come tournament time.

HVL probably came to the realization that a 5"7 not particularily explosive 2nd guard has a short shelf life in the WNBA. She basically has two years to monetize her social media presence and I'm guessing thought going to LSU did that and probably got an NIL bump.

I don't think it had as much to do with anything at UofL or Coach Walz as some have convinced themselves; HVL realizes her earning potential is only what she can wrangle out of NIL for two years and LSU is at the top of the game there in the sport right now. But I think she may have miscalculated one thing....I suspect her stay in Baton Rouge won't last beyond this year. She doesn't fit them and it's clear she is frosted out of their offense and that is from watching very small snippets of them live. It stands out.

If I recall she, and her daddy, stated UofL wasn’t going to have to players around her to win a championship. So, she ran to L$U.

^^^^^ That is my understanding as well; HVL has always followed her father’s direction whenever it came to her basketball career, and “the word around campus” was her father questioned whether the 2024 roster was going to measure up to CJW expectations. The real irony here, is that once HVL announced plans to enter the Portal, the openings at UL became much more attractive than it was with HVL.

It’s funny but more bad publicity for LSU as Mullkey makes negative comments about Caitlin Clarke. Mullkey said that Clarke shoots the ball too much and she wouldn’t do it on her team. The media quickly pointed out that she shouldn’t be worried about other players on other teams. She has too many issues with her own team she needs to deal with. On the flip side Clarke responded to the comments but she took the high ride.

HVL probably came to the realization that a 5"7 not particularily explosive 2nd guard has a short shelf life in the WNBA. She basically has two years to monetize her social media presence and I'm guessing thought going to LSU did that and probably got an NIL bump.

I don't think it had as much to do with anything at UofL or Coach Walz as some have convinced themselves; HVL realizes her earning potential is only what she can wrangle out of NIL for two years and LSU is at the top of the game there in the sport right now. But I think she may have miscalculated one thing....I suspect her stay in Baton Rouge won't last beyond this year. She doesn't fit them and it's clear she is frosted out of their offense and that is from watching very small snippets of them live. It stands out.
HVL can always follow the Cavender twins from Miami and go to the WWE!

Mulkey called out her guards after their second straight loss. Said her guards aren’t quick enough to defend well. And although she didn’t name a player according to the article I read everyone else is pointing out HVL. No kidding? Is anyone shocked? She’s never played defense…..at least well. Her dad made sure she was good on offense it failed to focus on D and now it continues to rear its ugly head.

Reactions: Deeva
I watched the LSU vs South Carolina game last week. Reese fouled out of the game and the play by play announcer said that 3 of Reese’s fouls were caused by bad passes from HVL. LSU has a lot of problems right now on and off the court.

They have a talented team but they all play me ball. They also have a coach that can’t keep her mouth shut. She always has something negative to say about her own players and everybody else’s players and coaches. There was also a recent article that said LSU women’s basketball is currently running a 10 million dollar deficit.

HVL played her first game yesterday, where she contributed in much the same manner that she had performed at UL; it was during a 40 point win over a very bad UF team. I believe Mulkey recognizes that HVL is the one player who has failed to perform up to the lofty expectations as the LSU point guard, and intentionally used the blowout win as the opportunity to keep possession of the ball in the offensive half court. 9 of her 21 points were at the FT line, a result of continually dribbling around the court until she could drive to the basket.

I only saw brief parts of the game but it didn’t look like she was running the point. She was playing the shooting guard but like I said I only saw a small part of the game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT