ADVERTISEMENT

Lance to transfer.

'
Then why chastised CDP for the same reasons .

I haven't chastised Padgett. I didn't fire him.

Padgett and Mack both inherited a scandal situation - but Padgett inherited a top 15 preseason team with 4 upperclassmen that had spent their entire careers within the program, and he inherited a top 10 recruiting class to support the veterans. And the team made the NIT. That's not chastising the guy - that's simply revisiting his performance.

Mack didn't inherit close to that kind of roster, and he hasn't even coached a game yet.

If the team completely sucks - i.e. - bottom tier ACC .500 or losing record nightmare he'll catch some criticism.

The team ain't supposed to be good though. Last year's team was.

'I haven't chastised Padgett. I didn't fire him.

Padgett and Mack both inherited a scandal situation - but Padgett inherited a top 15 preseason team with 4 upperclassmen that had spent their entire careers within the program, and he inherited a top 10 recruiting class to support the veterans. And the team made the NIT. That's not chastising the guy - that's simply revisiting his performance...
That's not revisiting, that's skewing.

That preseason ranking was Pitino's team, not Padgett's. No one except the flaming optimists said Padgett = Pitino. And obviously Padgett didn't equal Pitino.

Padgett also had no opportunity to go out and get any players that were suited to his coaching. Pitino and Padgett are worlds apart in coaching style. Padgett actually referred to himself as a "player's coach" early in the season.

Padgett also made 20% of the salary that Mack does. Call me crazy, but I expect people paid far less to accomplish less and vice versa...

Last edited:
Reactions: nccardfan
That's not revisiting, that's skewing.

That preseason ranking was Pitino's team, not Padgett's. .

Inherited. I stated he inherited the team, I did not state he cultivated the team.

DP inherited a top 15 preseason team and made the NIT with it. That's not skewing, that's a fact.

As far as opinions go I expected him to struggle and was just hoping for an NCAA berth, because I knew he was over his head and the situation was too much for a rookie coach.

If last year's team wasn't DP's team this year's team isn't Mack's team, no matter how hard you try to skew the pool of "players" (insert laugh sound track as you try to spin that pool as being useful for next year) that were available for Mack to get in the short period of time he's been here.

Padgett inherited a much better team. The upcoming preseason poll will confirm that. Neither situation was ideal. There's nothing really to argue about anything I've said.

Being preseason top 15 means nothing. I ask you to go back and look at the preseason top 15 the last ten years and see how many were very accurate? Also U of L was in a myriad of turmoil. It didn’t just start when DP was asked to take over. Why would you expect any coach placed in that situation to be successful?

Inherited. I stated he inherited the team, I did not state he cultivated the team.

DP inherited a top 15 preseason team and made the NIT with it. That's not skewing, that's a fact.

As far as opinions go I expected him to struggle and was just hoping for an NCAA berth, because I knew he was over his head and the situation was too much for a rookie coach.

If last year's team wasn't DP's team this year's team isn't Mack's team, no matter how hard you try to skew the pool of "players" (insert laugh sound track as you try to spin that pool as being useful for next year) that were available for Mack to get in the short period of time he's been here.

Padgett inherited a much better team. The upcoming preseason poll will confirm that. Neither situation was ideal. There's nothing really to argue about anything I've said.
"Inherited" implies Padgett was presented with something of great value. It was of great value to the person who built it.

And despite their huge difference in pay, we don't actually know that Mack would have done any better with the same opportunity. I could just as easily have described that opportunity for Padgett as "foisted".

Padgett also was thrown the keys to the car the same week he was supposed to drive it. Mack will have had about six months to get it tuned up and in good condition. He was expected to perform those repairs...

"Inherited" implies Padgett was presented with something of great value. It was of great value to the person who built it.

And despite their huge difference in pay, we don't actually know that Mack would have done any better with the same opportunity. I could just as easily have described that opportunity for Padgett as "foisted".

Padgett also was thrown the keys to the car the same week he was supposed to drive it. Mack will have had about six months to get it tuned up and in good condition. He was expected to perform those repairs...

Sounds like we have some agreement. Due to Pitino’s horrible management of his staff and program, he left David Padgett holding the keys to something he was ill prepared to drive and to personnel that may not have fit what he wanted to do. While we all know that Chris Mack’s resume speaks to someone that is very prepared to handle and flourish as our coach, we also recognize that Pitino left the car in a ditch so it’s going to take some service to get it back into shape. The important thing is that we have someone in the head coaching position that has the skills to get this thing back on the track in due time. Glad you are coming around on this Zipp!

Reactions: sk73
Sounds like we have some agreement. Due to Pitino’s horrible management of his staff and program, he left David Padgett holding the keys to something he was ill prepared to drive and to personnel that may not have fit what he wanted to do. While we all know that Chris Mack’s resume speaks to someone that is very prepared to handle and flourish as our coach, we also recognize that Pitino left the car in a ditch so it’s going to take some service to get it back into shape. The important thing is that we have someone in the head coaching position that has the skills to get this thing back on the track in due time. Glad you are coming around on this Zipp!
That’s what you got? No wonder they call you knucklehead...

Reactions: Senore2006 and zipp
That’s what you got? No wonder they call you knucklehead...

Actually it’s you and one other guy who call me that. Based on the lack of depth to your posts, I’d say your opinion of me or my posts matters little. And the other guy is just a curmudgeon.

"Inherited" implies Padgett was presented with something of great value.

Mack and DP both inherited a situation. Situations they both agreed to take on.

It's possible to inherit items of great value, moderate value, or even little to no value.

In terms of competing for wins and losses, I'm implying DP inherited a basketball team with more value than the roster Mack inherited.

It's a pointless discussion. DP is gone. Mack is here.

Time to move on, I say. But I do support people that prefer to move on at their own pace. Take your time with it.

Last edited:

What we do know is that DP was either not offered one head coaching job or decided none of them were worth taking. On the other hand Chris Mack was offered multiple high profile head coaching positions and accepted one of them paying $4M. The free market carries a lot more weight than your slanted negative viewpoints.

What we do know is that DP was either not offered one head coaching job or decided none of them were worth taking. On the other hand Chris Mack was offered multiple high profile head coaching positions and accepted one of them paying $4M. The free market carries a lot more weight than your slanted negative viewpoints.
Identifying other stupid people means they're not unique...

Mack and DP both inherited a situation. Situations they both agreed to take on.

It's possible to inherit items of great value, moderate value, or even little to no value.

In terms of competing for wins and losses, I'm implying DP inherited a basketball team with more value than the roster Mack inherited.

It's a pointless discussion. DP is gone. Mack is here.

Time to move on, I say. But I do support people that prefer to move on at their own pace. Take your time with it.
Padgett was foisted with a roster of guys who couldn't motivate themselves. That's why they signed on with Pitino.

I didn't bring up the names of other coaches. Mack's defenders did; they need your advice...

...And the other guy is just a curmudgeon.
I'm happy every time I read "knucklehead"...

parade%20of%20fools%202_zpsdkfvdkfu.jpg

Padgett was foisted with a roster of guys who couldn't motivate themselves. That's why they signed on with Pitino.

I didn't bring up the names of other coaches. Mack's defenders did; they need your advice...

Mack defenders don't need my advice to move on - anybody defending Mack has already moved on, or is at the very least trying to move on.

Reactions: REDFISTFURY3
And here I thought you were making progress. Smile and relax!
Fat chance of that happening. Yahoo Sports reported that the Pistons interviewed John Beilein for their HC position, proving he was available. Just one more piece of ammunition in Zipp's arsenal.

Fat chance of that happening. Yahoo Sports reported that the Pistons interviewed John Beilein for their HC position, proving he was available. Just one more piece of ammunition in Zipp's arsenal.

Not sure what John Beilein interviewing with the Pistons has to do with UofL or Zipp’s arsenal for that matter. What it does prove is that Beilein has been intrigued by the NBA (per the report) and is exploring that interest. Unless of course Louisville suddenly gets an NBA team and then maybe John will come here.

As I have stated previously though, I have tremendous respect for Beilein as a coach. Since he is 65 years old, he probably figures this would be his last chance to pursue his dream to coach in the NBA. We shall see.

I wouldn't consider Beilein (Who I think is truly one of the best coaches in the country and one of the few actual good guys) interviewing for the Pistons job as "being available" I think thats more of "I'm available for this job" I would bet a large sum of money that he wouldn't switch to a different college at this point in his career.

Also, is 65 year old John Beilein really the guy you want to bring in for this rebuild and rebranding?

Also "Zipps arsenal" is anything and everything anti-Tyra. I don't think Zipp wants Mack to fail because he loves the program but still, you can put just about anything in his arsenal in hindsight.

For the life of me can't figure out how anyone could be remotely displeased with the hiring of Chris Mack, to each their own.

For the life of me can't figure out how anyone could be remotely displeased with the hiring of Chris Mack, to each their own.

People that don't know a dam thing about BB.

Reactions: EKYCard643

People that don't know a dam thing about BB.
LOL...

Fist = my basketball authority

I wouldn't consider Beilein (Who I think is truly one of the best coaches in the country and one of the few actual good guys) interviewing for the Pistons job as "being available" I think thats more of "I'm available for this job" I would bet a large sum of money that he wouldn't switch to a different college at this point in his career.

Also, is 65 year old John Beilein really the guy you want to bring in for this rebuild and rebranding?

Also "Zipps arsenal" is anything and everything anti-Tyra. I don't think Zipp wants Mack to fail because he loves the program but still, you can put just about anything in his arsenal in hindsight.

The haters try to polarize the debate... You either love Mack or you hate him, as an example. And outside the Christian context, there are damn few people you should love or hate.

I'm "displeased" that the hiring process focused too much on a guy we COULD get and not guys we SHOULD get. That doesn't mean I hate Mack; if anything, it would mean I hated Tyra. Mack's simply a hired gun like all highly paid coaches are. He doesn't give two $hits about U of L, at least not yet. He had 30 million other reasons. And you're right, we all benefit if Mack does well.

My skepticism of Tyra is higher because he's not just a hired gun. He's a clown show recruit, and only the delusional in this space like the clown show. Will he be different?...The optimists hope. I can tell you if he comes anywhere close to Jurich, he will have my support. If he doesn't, he won't. Nothing is automatic.

The haters don't like that position because they don't want their new guys put to the test. They're afraid of something which should make you even more skeptical...

Not sure what John Beilein interviewing with the Pistons has to do with UofL or Zipp’s arsenal for that matter. What it does prove is that Beilein has been intrigued by the NBA (per the report) and is exploring that interest. Unless of course Louisville suddenly gets an NBA team and then maybe John will come here.

As I have stated previously though, I have tremendous respect for Beilein as a coach. Since he is 65 years old, he probably figures this would be his last chance to pursue his dream to coach in the NBA. We shall see.
My point was Beilein was among the name coaches (Wright, Donovan, et al)not pursued by Vince Tyra which drew the ire of a few posters. Just a misguided attempt on my part to stir the pot. As if it needed further stirring. I am fully on board with CCM. Loved his work at X.

My point was Beilein was among the name coaches (Wright, Donovan, et al)not pursued by Vince Tyra which drew the ire of a few posters. Just a misguided attempt on my part to stir the pot. As if it needed further stirring. I am fully on board with CCM. Loved his work at X.
Nothing misguided about your comparison. Beinlein had twice the resume of Chris Mack...Did he get a Tyra phone call, and if not, why not?

Clown show apologists like knucklehead just don't like those questions...

Nothing misguided about your comparison. Beinlein had twice the resume of Chris Mack...Did he get a Tyra phone call, and if not, why not?

Serious question, how do any of you know who was called and turned UL down? I'm just a regular fan and honestly have no clue who Tyra had conversations with. Maybe some of you do .

I have no problem with the question. The simple answer is that I think Mack is a better fit than Beilein for a variety of reasons. Had Pitino been fired after the Sypher stuff, then Beilein would’ve been a strong candidate at that time.

Reactions: Chapman123

I felt Beilein deserved a call. Whether or not one was made, we have no clue. And that is a sticking point with many. I know you and I are on opposite sides of the fence regarding the CCM hire, but time will tell. I also remember a "Can't miss" hire as a FB coach who completely bombed.

I felt Beilein deserved a call. Whether or not one was made, we have no clue. And that is a sticking point with many. I know you and I are on opposite sides of the fence regarding the CCM hire, but time will tell. I also remember a "Can't miss" hire as a FB coach who completely bombed.

I love the double standards in our fan base.

For years people lauded the fact that Tom Jurich had full control of coaching searches and replacements (We all remember how the Ron Cooper hire went down....that was a search committee hire). Jurich coaching searches was kept secret, there was no public interview panels or lists of candidates shared with the fan base. Jurich had his list and he worked it and hired the person he wanted.

Now, when Tyra is in the AD role and he follows the same format of hiring a head coach and does not publicize every candidate he may have or hadn't called certain fans question his transparency.

Not sure how any of us can weigh in on the search when we don't know who was and was not contacted.

Hiring is a slippery slope. Got to be careful to not turn it into a fiasco like TN football or Kragthorpe UofL football.

Reactions: Mayoman
We know because of the timing of things. We know when it was reasonable to assume that CDP started off fairly strong in ACC play, that in a normal situation that DP be extended or given a vote of confidence. It was clear he wasn’t even being considered and the powers to be had someone already in mind. That person was Mack who reportedly met with U of L in NY while his own team was in the throes of the BE tournament. We know because the decision on Mack was relatively quick before NBA season was over and other coaching possibilities became available. End of story. Time to move on with Mack.

PS - the stories about CM’s wife wanting to be in Louisville surfaces almost immediately after CRP was fired.

He also coached twice the time Mack has and is almost 20 years old than Mack. If I'm trying to find a coach I'm going to look long term and a 65 year old Beilein is not that IMO. I can understand him not getting the call. I personally think that Mack is one of the young coaches who will replace Pitino, coach K, Williams, and Self as the top guys. Why call Beilein if you think Mack is a better option and Mack said yes.

Would you have hired Beilein over Mack? If so, why, and if not why does it matter that he wasn't called?

I love the double standards in our fan base.

For years people lauded the fact that Tom Jurich had full control of coaching searches and replacements (We all remember how the Ron Cooper hire went down....that was a search committee hire). Jurich coaching searches was kept secret, there was no public interview panels or lists of candidates shared with the fan base. Jurich had his list and he worked it and hired the person he wanted.

Now, when Tyra is in the AD role and he follows the same format of hiring a head coach and does not publicize every candidate he may have or hadn't called certain fans question his transparency.
That's because you don't understand--or refuse to understand--the difference between Jurich and the clown show.

Jurich has the best credentials to make a decision. If he targets one guy, that's the best guy. And he's wasting time second guessing himself.

Fanboy has zero credentials in his present job. I have as much insight into targeting one coach as he does, and yes, that's damning each of us by faint praise. For the time being, everything this guy does should be questioned.

Which is what exactly what clown show apologists REFUSE to do ('cuz you all ain't that stupid...)

Impeccable%20Standards_zpszp4kdswz.jpg

He also coached twice the time Mack has and is almost 20 years old than Mack. If I'm trying to find a coach I'm going to look long term and a 65 year old Beilein is not that IMO. I can understand him not getting the call. I personally think that Mack is one of the young coaches who will replace Pitino, coach K, Williams, and Self as the top guys. Why call Beilein if you think Mack is a better option and Mack said yes.

Would you have hired Beilein over Mack? If so, why, and if not why does it matter that he wasn't called?
So I gotta wait 20 years for Mack to be as good as Beinlein?

If my choice is between those two, absolutely, I would have hired Beinlein. He's earned that credibility at more than one place. Beinlein's proven he can coach up talent, and odds are high he would have been successful here. Mack is just another Xavier ex-coach--we have a lotta those examples...

The only other guy there was any indication U of L was interested in was Kenny Payne. In the information age, that info could/would have leaked out.

How do we know MSU is after Dan McDonnell?...

...I know you and I are on opposite sides of the fence regarding the CCM hire...
I don't think that's true. I'm not on either side...I'm officially ON the fence, and I have a nice seat there where I can see everything...

The process is you look for a coach in the short term and hope he turns out to be a DC or CRP. You don’t hire a coach with the mindset he’s going to last 20 years. There’s no history to say that CCM is going to retire at U of L. Here’s a guy that pretty much told Xavier that this was his dream job... Oops. Who’s to say he doesn’t have a ego to coach in the NBA one day. His word? Yeah, he’s a great guy. He might want to retire at U of L based on what we are paying him but he’s got to fulfill his end of the bargain. 7 years is too long a contract. He needs to deliver way sooner than that. I do hope that he’s our savior but like Zipp, I’m on the fence for now.

Why we would look at Beilein was the same reason people advocated for Scotty Davenport. Immediate stability through the short term mess and who knows Beilein could have turned this program around pretty quickly. Just think of former players who now have sons in high school. It’s going to be awhile before CCM has any of those.

The process is you look for a coach in the short term and hope he turns out to be a DC or CRP. You don’t hire a coach with the mindset he’s going to last 20 years. There’s no history to say that CCM is going to retire at U of L. Here’s a guy that pretty much told Xavier that this was his dream job... Oops. Who’s to say he doesn’t have a ego to coach in the NBA one day. His word? Yeah, he’s a great guy. He might want to retire at U of L based on what we are paying him but he’s got to fulfill his end of the bargain. 7 years is too long a contract. He needs to deliver way sooner than that. I do hope that he’s our savior but like Zipp, I’m on the fence for now.

Why we would look at Beilein was the same reason people advocated for Scotty Davenport. Immediate stability through the short term mess and who knows Beilein could have turned this program around pretty quickly. Just think of former players who now have sons in high school. It’s going to be awhile before CCM has any of those.

I'm not arguing with you just clarifying and learning here.

I don't understand the idea of trying to bring in someone like Scotty Davenport (or Belien for that matter but lets focus on Davenport). Why go after an old coach ESPECIALLY one like Davenport who has no name recognition and no connection to big time college recruiting just to put a patch on the program for 3-4 years and then have to hire a whole new staff and rebrand the program and start all over?

This is just my opinion it isn't right or wrong but it seems way, way better to me ESPECIALLY if you can get an established "name" like Chris Mack - no he isn't superstar known coach thats been in the game for a long time or has a long resume but he's being linked to every elite opening and widely regarded as the next "it" guy in coaching. To me it makes so much more sense to lock someone like that up, let him wade through the murky waters of the first 2-3 years and then by the time all of this has passed he emerges with a full staff, recruiting connections and relationships and is a known commodity at UL thats been there for a few years and there's no turnover or "interim" period with an old coach that everyone knows is being replaced. I was adamant that it was really, really stupid to go after Scotty Davenport and I'm glad that wasn't a serious consideration for the program.

Reactions: shadow force
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT