ADVERTISEMENT

Lance to transfer.

Can't wait till this BB season gonna be interesting reading the post from certain Mack haters. Told you when he loses gonna be silence when he wins. How the hell can you say you are Cards fans and hating on a coach whom all national media says is a dam good coach and get for any program?

Good statement but the first and last sentence does tell it all. He was their only target and in their minds of the powers at hand, they decided that because of Louisville’s current situation, Mack was the best attainable, which clearly says they did not pursue certain other coaches, not because they weren’t better coaches but because they didn’t think they could get them. End of story. Confirms what I have said all along.
but judging his hire based on who was available and who was attainable, Louisville was splendid.
Narrative of the statement is ones conjecture of the way they view said statement!

Can't wait till this BB season gonna be interesting reading the post from certain Mack haters. Told you when he loses gonna be silence when he wins. How the hell can you say you are Cards fans and hating on a coach whom all national media says is a dam good coach and get for any program?
You've got a Mack hard on. That doesn't mean the rest of us hate him. We just don't walk around with a hard on for a basketball coach.

And you're really gonna be disappointed expecting silence from me under any circumstances... :p

According to Ranker.com’s list of top college coaches, here’s part of the list. Don’t shoot the messenger.

8 - Mark Few
11- Gregg Marshall
12 - Tony Bennett
13 - Shaka Smart
14 - Greg McDermott
15 - Brey
16 - Buzz Williams
18 - Archie Miller
19 - Ed Cooley???
20 - Frank Martin
21 - Dana Altman
22 - Sean Miller
23 - Chris Mack

Yep, looks like we got one of the best coaches in the country.

This was a fan list and not that many people even voted on it.

You've got a Mack hard on. That doesn't mean the rest of us hate him. We just don't walk around with a hard on for a basketball coach.

And you're really gonna be disappointed expecting silence from me under any circumstances... :p
Hard on you the one still writing about a AD that is no longer here. Mack is the present and future of this university . So just get with the program and stop all the negativity towards this admin. Move the **** on then

Hard on you the one still writing about a AD that is no longer here. Mack is the present and future of this university . So just get with the program and stop all the negativity towards this admin. Move the **** on then
It's clown show apologists and the "move on" crowd who keep bringing up the past. I enjoy talking about Tyra and Mack...

Look, you’re missing the point. It’s not Mack vs this guy or that guy. It’s the fact that Mack was the target and nobody else. Who was on the search committee? When were interviews held? We all know CBP slipped out in the middle of the night to meet with the Falcons. Why in this day of Wikileaks is there no rumors, nada about coaches being interviewed, even phone calls?

Also if you’re saying that certain coaches weren’t even consider because they had relationships with CRP then how can you legitimately say that you did a thorough search and that you didn’t settle?

I think that process would have still ended up with Mack. Its not like you can't look at coach's resumes beforehand formally contacting them. My question for you is who do you think we should have taken besides Mack? When you see a bunch of guys being contacted its usually because the 1st options said no. Look at the UT football search, a bunch of names where rumored but not because they were doing their due diligence, they were whiffing on their original candidates.

I can say why I think Mack is the guy but other than the fact that a lot of other names weren't rumored, what makes you think that Mack isn't.

Gosh you guys just don’t see the whole picture. Wow we got the 13th best coach according to... Doesn’t matter where they are ranked from about 8 to 25. Means they are all in the same category of good, not great. Mack can be great but so can any of the rest. What you want is some scrutiny, some evaluation, not who’s willing to accept $4 million or whose wife is from here...

Are you really arguing that Mack got the job cause his wife is from here? Mack is considered one if not the best young coaches. Now all of a sudden some of you act like he is just some guy we hired after we pulled a name out of a hat. He is one of the most accomplished young coaches around. If I'm in our ADs spot I hire the young guy that is good rather than trying get a guys whose career closing in on retiring.

When you look at lists like that you have to remember its shaded toward older coaches. Mack has a lesser overall record than Beilein but he has also been coaching half the time. You are looking at Beilein's entire record vs a small part of what will be Mack's.

Last edited:
I think that process would have still ended up with Mack. Its not like you can't look at coach's resumes beforehand formally contacting them. My question for you is who do you think we should have taken besides Mack? When you see a bunch of guys being contacted its usually because the 1st options said no. Look at the UT football search, a bunch of names where rumored but not because they were doing their due diligence, they were whiffing on their original candidates.

I can say why I think Mack is the guy but other than the fact that a lot of other names weren't rumored, what makes you think that Mack isn't.
Funny that you bring the UT football topic up. Yes, coaches names were being thrown around because the board and the boosters were frantic about finding the best coach available. You didn’t hear those same rumors around the U of L coaching search because there wasn’t a search conducted. As it has been said, we had our target and we got him.

As I said, there are several “lists” out there. Not much difference between them, but the point is CM is in a group of good coaches, not great coaches.

I don't put that much stock these types of lists cause they change year to year based on the last season's results but the one you used was really bad.
Funny that you bring the UT football topic up. Yes, coaches names were being thrown around because the board and the boosters were frantic about finding the best coach available. You didn’t hear those same rumors around the U of L coaching search because there wasn’t a search conducted. As it has been said, we had our target and we got him.

Names were thrown around cause the board was frantic, that is all. Jon Gruden wasn't going to coach UT football. Did it help anyone to go after him considering he was certainly going to turn the job down? Would it helped us waste time going after Brad Stevens if he was going to turn down the job. Would you have excepted Mack more if we had made him the 7th choice after Stevens, Wright, Donovan, Phil Jackson, Coach K, Self, and Steve Kerr? The argument at that point would be that Tyra can't get the coach he originally wanted and the media would have a field day with stories about how far we'd fallen. UTs coaching search did nothing but cause stress for the fans and they ended up with the guy they probably should have gone after in the first place with Pruitt.

Reactions: Sultan__of__Swine
I don't put that much stock these types of lists cause they change year to year based on the last season's results but the one you used was really bad.

Names were thrown around cause the board was frantic, that is all. Jon Gruden wasn't going to coach UT football. Did it help anyone to go after him considering he was certainly going to turn the job down? Would it helped us waste time going after Brad Stevens if he was going to turn down the job. Would you have excepted Mack more if we had made him the 7th choice after Stevens, Wright, Donovan, Phil Jackson, Coach K, Self, and Steve Kerr? The argument at that point would be that Tyra can't get the coach he originally wanted and the media would have a field day with stories about how far we'd fallen. UTs coaching search did nothing but cause stress for the fans and they ended up with the guy they probably should have gone after in the first place with Pruitt.
Don’t know about any of the guys you listed but if we interviewed at least 3-4 of those guys from 8 through 21 and even a few more would make me believe that we were interested in hiring the best coach available and not that we already had someone in mind.

but judging his hire based on who was available and who was attainable, Louisville was splendid.
Narrative of the statement is ones conjecture of the way they view said statement!
Enlighten me on your list who was attainable and who was available? Splendid? Are you British? That’s pretty sad if that is the word you use to describe a coaching hire. Oooh, he’s a splendid coach!!

The Tenn football coaching search was an abomination. Wash. Rinse. Repeat.
Most of this just goes over your heads. Not comparing the UT coaching search fiasco. Just saying in this day of social media and even the President has media leaks, why wasn’t there just one rumor that Vince Tyra reached out to anybody else than Mack? Because the answer is we didn’t look beyond CCM because he let be known he was interested in the job before his own season reached a conclusion. The only one I heard was U of L officials met with Coach Mack while his team was playing in the BE tournament.

Most of this just goes over your heads. Not comparing the UT coaching search fiasco. Just saying in this day of social media and even the President has media leaks, why wasn’t there just one rumor that Vince Tyra reached out to anybody else than Mack? Because the answer is we didn’t look beyond CCM because he let be known he was interested in the job before his own season reached a conclusion. The only one I heard was U of L officials met with Coach Mack while his team was playing in the BE tournament.
Kenny Payne??? And thank God they didnt hire him

Enlighten me on your list who was attainable and who was available? Splendid? Are you British? That’s pretty sad if that is the word you use to describe a coaching hire. Oooh, he’s a splendid coach!!
It's obvious you didn't read or was able to comprehend the article in which that line was written by someone else!

Would you have excepted Mack more if we had made him the 7th choice after Stevens, Wright, Donovan, Phil Jackson, Coach K, Self, and Steve Kerr? The argument at that point would be that Tyra can't get the coach he originally wanted and the media would have a field day with stories about how far we'd fallen. UTs coaching search did nothing but cause stress for the fans and they ended up with the guy they probably should have gone after in the first place with Pruitt.

Exactly. Their search made them look silly.

I wasn't responding to you. If I was responding to you, I would have quote posted you.

Your point didn't fly over my head - I didn't read your post. I saw another poster mention UT football and it reminded me of their atrocious hiring charade. That's it.

But since you responded to me I went ahead and read your work.

Yeah, it is more than likely Tyra honed in on Mack during early winter and didn't make many, or any other outreaches. Can't say for sure. It wasn't a decision I had control over, so I roll with it.

If the guy ends up sucking then Tyra will own it. If the guy does great Tyra will own that.

Last edited:
Don’t know about any of the guys you listed but if we interviewed at least 3-4 of those guys from 8 through 21 and even a few more would make me believe that we were interested in hiring the best coach available and not that we already had someone in mind.

Does it matter that we already had someone in mind? Is that a negative? When Jurich hired Strong its who he had and mind and when he hired Petrino he gave a courtesy interview to Vance Bedford. In both instances it was pretty obvious we targetted one person and went after them. We had an entire season to think about what bball coach we wanted. Its not surprising in that entire time that we could manage to figure which person we wanted go after them. If I think that Mack is better than the other 3 or 4 guys why am I wasting my time with them if I can get Mack?

Does it matter that we already had someone in mind? Is that a negative? When Jurich hired Strong its who he had and mind and when he hired Petrino he gave a courtesy interview to Vance Bedford. In both instances it was pretty obvious we targetted one person and went after them. We had an entire season to think about what bball coach we wanted. Its not surprising in that entire time that we could manage to figure which person we wanted go after them. If I think that Mack is better than the other 3 or 4 guys why am I wasting my time with them if I can get Mack?

Plus lets be honest here...Chris Mack would be nearly every major school's top choice if they were in Louisville's position this year. Indiana and OSU already made a run at him. Its not like UL zeroing in on Chris Mack was an outside the box idea or something. He was the hottest name in coaching and the "next big thing" that everyone knew was going to get a major job sooner rather than later. It would have been way, way more controversial for Louisville to have went after Dan Hurley or Eric Mussellman or someone other than Chris Mack. So when people say they zeroed in too much on Chris Mack the only thing that tells me is that they wanted UL to get someone unrealistic like Jay Wright or Billy Donovan.

Is that how you got your job? Why have resumes? Why have job interviews? Just go out and hire whoever? I think Tom was a great AD but the one issue I had is he made decisions seemingly on his own. That wasn’t his fault. The board gave him that authority or at least Ramsey gave it to him. Where Tom was questioned was when he made questionable hires like Krap and the asst AD from Colorado. Haven’t we learned anything from type of hires? NBA makes you look at least minorities. I know I guess the university doesn’t do that when it comes to hiring coaches but I bet they do when they consider professors. I know why there is a difference, it’s $$$.

Kenny Payne??? And thank God they didnt hire him
They didn’t hire him because he wasn’t even considered. It was only after Mack was named, people questioned (not me) why KP wasn’t even interviewed.

Look, if you have that much confidence in your guy that he’s the best candidate, what does it hurt to at least listen and compare. This happens in the real world a lot where the 1st candidate doesn’t work out or whatever and then they go to the 2nd guy. I hope Mack’s the guy but what’s the plan if he’s not? Oh, not worried about that, he’s got a 7 year contract. That’s good for him but not good business for U of L, only if it ends up with a banner.

Again, you're comparing Jurich and Tyra. The first guy had the demonstrated credibility to follow that approach. The guy now doesn't...

Plus lets be honest here...Chris Mack would be nearly every major school's top choice if they were in Louisville's position this year. Indiana and OSU already made a run at him. Its not like UL zeroing in on Chris Mack was an outside the box idea or something. He was the hottest name in coaching and the "next big thing" that everyone knew was going to get a major job sooner rather than later. It would have been way, way more controversial for Louisville to have went after Dan Hurley or Eric Mussellman or someone other than Chris Mack. So when people say they zeroed in too much on Chris Mack the only thing that tells me is that they wanted UL to get someone unrealistic like Jay Wright or Billy Donovan.
Chris Mack was the best guy in YOUR mind and the minds of his defenders. That didn't make him clearly the best candidate objectively. As nccardfan and others like me have pointed out, Mack's resume didn't stand above all others.

Mack's a good coach but not a great coach. If he is great, that will have to be proven here. WE are the program making that bet...

Chris Mack was the best guy in YOUR mind and the minds of his defenders. That didn't make him clearly the best candidate objectively. As nccardfan and others like me have pointed out, Mack's resume didn't stand above all others.

Mack's a good coach but not a great coach. If he is great, that will have to be proven here. WE are the program making that bet...

No, not just in my mind. That was sort of the point of my post. He was W-I-D-E-L-Y considered the best young, up and coming coach available and the coach most likely to be "the next big thing" and get the next big time program job.

As I said, what Tyra did was the obvious thing. It would have been downright shocking for him to go after anyone else until he spoke with Chris Mack and that doesn't even take into account his location and wife's history with Louisville.

Now, will Chris Mack live up to the hype? Nobody knows...nobody can see the future. If you want to hate on Tyra for anything during his basketball coach search, hate on him for doing the obvious thing and picking the obvious choice, picking the coach that everyone in the media as far back as before the season started told us would be Louisville's next head coach.

This circular conversation (which I've contributed to) has gone round and round for weeks.

Zipp: I'm not convinced until he shows me.

Everyone else: I think he'll show me.

The difference there is pretty small.

Reactions: Rockfly78
No, not just in my mind. That was sort of the point of my post. He was W-I-D-E-L-Y considered the best young, up and coming coach available and the coach most likely to be "the next big thing" and get the next big time program job...
Well, "widely" can mean anything down to he was "mentioned". In my mind, widely means by clear majority, and that isn't true. In fact, you've been presented with evidence in this thread proving that...

Well, "widely" can mean anything down to he was "mentioned". In my mind, widely means by clear majority, and that isn't true. In fact, you've been presented with evidence in this thread proving that...

No, no the definition of "widely" literally doesn't mean anything. Chris Mack was WIDELY considered one of the best young coaches in the country and I've been hearing for 2 years that he was the front runner for the job and was told back in before the season started after Rick was let go that Mack would be the next head coach.

Is that how you got your job? Why have resumes? Why have job interviews? Just go out and hire whoever? I think Tom was a great AD but the one issue I had is he made decisions seemingly on his own. That wasn’t his fault. The board gave him that authority or at least Ramsey gave it to him. Where Tom was questioned was when he made questionable hires like Krap and the asst AD from Colorado. Haven’t we learned anything from type of hires? NBA makes you look at least minorities. I know I guess the university doesn’t do that when it comes to hiring coaches but I bet they do when they consider professors. I know why there is a difference, it’s $$$.

At my job sometimes people have to interview for promotions but there have been times where we have seen someone who is ready and they are basically just waiting for a spot to open so they can take it. In those instances open interviews aren't held for the spot.

Coaching hires aren't like most jobs though. A coach's resume is there record which is available for the world to see. In most jobs the interviewer can't see everything you've done on espn already. If you have a problem with the hiring process thats fine, but can you really argue that we got the wrong candidate out of it? I guess we could have scared a few more fanbases into thinking we might take their coach but otherwise I don't think much would have changed in the end.

I criticized Tyra for the way he handled the process of interviewing a minority candidate. He patted himself on the back for doing so while making the process a sham. Payne's name was brought out who wasn't even close to being good enough. Those who threw Payne's name out would have complained that he wasn't interviewed no matter how many other people were. They were crum era people who wanted to see one of their own get the job regardless of what the end result would have been.

Reactions: HRTheCard
No, no the definition of "widely" literally doesn't mean anything. Chris Mack was WIDELY considered one of the best young coaches in the country and I've been hearing for 2 years that he was the front runner for the job and was told back in before the season started after Rick was let go that Mack would be the next head coach.
You're watering down your own argument...now it's "ONE of the best YOUNG coaches in the country." Is "bald from Cincinnati" next?

At my job sometimes people have to interview for promotions but there have been times where we have seen someone who is ready and they are basically just waiting for a spot to open so they can take it. In those instances open interviews aren't held for the spot.

Coaching hires aren't like most jobs though. A coach's resume is there record which is available for the world to see. In most jobs the interviewer can't see everything you've done on espn already. If you have a problem with the hiring process thats fine, but can you really argue that we got the wrong candidate out of it? I guess we could have scared a few more fanbases into thinking we might take their coach but otherwise I don't think much would have changed in the end.

I criticized Tyra for the way he handled the process of interviewing a minority candidate. He patted himself on the back for doing so while making the process a sham. Payne's name was brought out who wasn't even close to being good enough. Those who threw Payne's name out would have complained that he wasn't interviewed no matter how many other people were. They were crum era people who wanted to see one of their own get the job regardless of what the end result would have been.
Tyra talks outta both sides of his mouth. You can't say you're interviewing the best candidates out there and then come up with Kenny Payne as a serious candidate...

Reactions: nccardfan
You're watering down your own argument...now it's "ONE of the best YOUNG coaches in the country." Is "bald from Cincinnati" next?

I get it Zipp. Nothing anyone on here can show you is going to change anything with you.

https://sports.yahoo.com/20-head-co...-coaching-carousel-starts-spin-232821867.html

#1 on this list.^

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/21251683/college-basketball-coaches-rise

^ From ESPN "The Musketeers went to the Elite Eight last season, and Mack likely won't leave unless it's for an elite job. But the school to keep an eye on with him is Louisville. It might depend on guaranteed money, and whether the program gets hit with major sanctions, but Louisville is a top-10 (maybe even top-5) program, and Mack's wife happens to hail from Louisville."

He's in the "ELITE" level with Greg Marshall, Buzz Williams and Chris Collins in that article titled Level up: College basketball coaches on the rise.

https://thebiglead.com/2018/04/10/top-college-basketball-coaches-rankings/

^He's ranked as the #13th best overall coach in the country on that list.

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/news/louisville-basketball-chris-mack-coaching-rumors-top-replacement-scott-padgett-xavier/jl3k7dc494qv1dtzyu1wrf8fj

The list consists of one name — Chris Mack — and nobody else's. The Xavier coach is the best fit for Louisville, and Louisville is the best fit for Mack. That's the end of this search. The Cardinals reportedly are targeting Mack, and with good reason.

But Mack has proven he's ready for this job for the last nine seasons. He hasn't yet reached a Final Four, but he will have at least the same opportunity to get there with Louisville, especially given the resources he'd have available. If there are any reservations about not reaching the Final Four, then name a coach right now who makes more sense.

There's a few reference points for you though.

As I've said Zipp...I have nothing against you and I'm assuming that like me, you know this little back and forth isn't personal. I'm just surprised that there is a Louisville fan out there that at the absolute worst isn't just cautiously optomostic about the Mack hire. I've had to hear all year from my UK/Duke/UNC fan friends how Louisville was never going to get a coach as good as Chris Mack to leave Xavier with everything Louisville has going on and I got to rub that in their faces and I'll admit, I'm obviously a Mack apologist. I'll go down with that shit and eat crow should I have to. But to not acknowledge that getting Chris Mack to take over this program at this point in Louisville history isn't a great success just seems crazy to me.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT