ADVERTISEMENT

Lance to transfer.

So I gotta wait 20 years for Mack to be as good as Beinlein?

If my choice is between those two, absolutely, I would have hired Beinlein. He's earned that credibility at more than one place. Beinlein's proven he can coach up talent, and odds are high he would have been successful here. Mack is just another Xavier ex-coach--we have a lotta those examples...

That is not what I said. Beilein has more years coaching so he will have better total stats like wins. He has been doing it for more years than Mack. The other part I said was that I think that Mack is part of the next wave of great coaches. The current guys are getting on the backsides of their careers and I think in 15-20 seasons that we will be talking about Mack like we will the current top guys.

Matta made a title game just like Beilein did and Miller has been to just as many elite 8s in less seasons. Miller has better consistency than Beilein honestly. That really doesn't matter though since all coaches who come from the same school aren't the same person and therefore don't all have the same ability.

Last edited:
I'm not arguing with you just clarifying and learning here.

I don't understand the idea of trying to bring in someone like Scotty Davenport (or Belien for that matter but lets focus on Davenport). Why go after an old coach ESPECIALLY one like Davenport who has no name recognition and no connection to big time college recruiting just to put a patch on the program for 3-4 years and then have to hire a whole new staff and rebrand the program and start all over?

This is just my opinion it isn't right or wrong but it seems way, way better to me ESPECIALLY if you can get an established "name" like Chris Mack - no he isn't superstar known coach thats been in the game for a long time or has a long resume but he's being linked to every elite opening and widely regarded as the next "it" guy in coaching. To me it makes so much more sense to lock someone like that up, let him wade through the murky waters of the first 2-3 years and then by the time all of this has passed he emerges with a full staff, recruiting connections and relationships and is a known commodity at UL thats been there for a few years and there's no turnover or "interim" period with an old coach that everyone knows is being replaced. I was adamant that it was really, really stupid to go after Scotty Davenport and I'm glad that wasn't a serious consideration for the program.
I didn’t advocate for Scotty but based on what we people were saying, i.e problems with recruiting, FBI investigation, etc. you wanted someone with the ability to stabilize the program if the ceiling fell in. Scotty met that qualification by having previous ties to the school and the Louisville community (not just his wife, sorry couldn’t resist). As far as Mack being established, so were quite a few other coaches not named Donovan or Wright. Guys like Musselman, Cronin, Williard, Keatts, Marshall, Hurley, etc. Far as we know none of these guys were reached out to.

Reactions: zipp
The process is you look for a coach in the short term and hope he turns out to be a DC or CRP. You don’t hire a coach with the mindset he’s going to last 20 years. There’s no history to say that CCM is going to retire at U of L. Here’s a guy that pretty much told Xavier that this was his dream job... Oops. Who’s to say he doesn’t have a ego to coach in the NBA one day. His word? Yeah, he’s a great guy. He might want to retire at U of L based on what we are paying him but he’s got to fulfill his end of the bargain. 7 years is too long a contract. He needs to deliver way sooner than that. I do hope that he’s our savior but like Zipp, I’m on the fence for now.

Why we would look at Beilein was the same reason people advocated for Scotty Davenport. Immediate stability through the short term mess and who knows Beilein could have turned this program around pretty quickly. Just think of former players who now have sons in high school. It’s going to be awhile before CCM has any of those.

Zipp isn't complaining about the length of Mack's contract though. If you want to say he got to many years then I would not argue with you. That still does not make me think he is a poor hire though. I can't predict the future and I know all coaches are hired guns. I don't care what Mack said about this being his dream job, its not a negative and I would rather have a guy who has a chance of staying long term and being successful long term then having someone who I know has a low ceiling and a short ticking clock (Davenport)

Davenport is riskier hire than Mack. He has basically no D1 record. He basically coaches in an entirely different world than the league we are in. How would he be stable? He has no proven recruiting ability and 90% of recruits don't even know who he is. I like Beilein and can't knock him but I don't want a who is that close to the end of his career. While Beilein is proven its not like Mack is just some guy we pulled from a HS. He has done well at high level bball for awhile. Why does it matter how many former players who have sons? Is that really a sound recruiting base? You recruit guys and hope they end up with children you can also recruit. That isn't that big of a pool and I would not hire a coaching whose recruiting strategy is to try pray their former players have talented children.

I didn’t advocate for Scotty but based on what we people were saying, i.e problems with recruiting, FBI investigation, etc. you wanted someone with the ability to stabilize the program if the ceiling fell in. Scotty met that qualification by having previous ties to the school and the Louisville community (not just his wife, sorry couldn’t resist). As far as Mack being established, so were quite a few other coaches not named Donovan or Wright. Guys like Musselman, Cronin, Williard, Keatts, Marshall, Hurley, etc. Far as we know none of these guys were reached out to.

Mack has more success than all of them except Marshall. If you are criticizing Mack for not being stable enough then none of them should even be mentioned. I think some of them will be good/great coaches fwiw.

I'm not arguing with you just clarifying and learning here.

I don't understand the idea of trying to bring in someone like Scotty Davenport (or Belien for that matter but lets focus on Davenport). Why go after an old coach ESPECIALLY one like Davenport who has no name recognition and no connection to big time college recruiting just to put a patch on the program for 3-4 years and then have to hire a whole new staff and rebrand the program and start all over?

This is just my opinion it isn't right or wrong but it seems way, way better to me ESPECIALLY if you can get an established "name" like Chris Mack - no he isn't superstar known coach thats been in the game for a long time or has a long resume but he's being linked to every elite opening and widely regarded as the next "it" guy in coaching. To me it makes so much more sense to lock someone like that up, let him wade through the murky waters of the first 2-3 years and then by the time all of this has passed he emerges with a full staff, recruiting connections and relationships and is a known commodity at UL thats been there for a few years and there's no turnover or "interim" period with an old coach that everyone knows is being replaced. I was adamant that it was really, really stupid to go after Scotty Davenport and I'm glad that wasn't a serious consideration for the program.

.....and as far as we know they WERE reached out to.

See how that works?

Cronin and Willard are big time Pitino guys...Keatts was here during the time period the NCAA violations occurred so those 3 are a hard pass....and do you really want any of those 3 guys over Mack? Absolutely no way would I take any of those 3 over Mack. That leaves Hurley - Mack is a more established, better option and knows the recruiting area better, Marshall - a known complete a$$hole who everyone hates and Musselman - a guy I liked and would have been my choice if Mack turned us down.

I mean no offense, I get the point you're trying to make but none of the realistic options you threw out are better than Chris Mack in any way shape or form.

Cronin and Willard are big time Pitino guys...Keatts was here during the time period the NCAA violations occurred so those 3 are a hard pass....and do you really want any of those 3 guys over Mack? Absolutely no way would I take any of those 3 over Mack. That leaves Hurley - Mack is a more established, better option and knows the recruiting area better, Marshall - a known complete a$$hole who everyone hates and Musselman - a guy I liked and would have been my choice if Mack turned us down.

I mean no offense, I get the point you're trying to make but none of the realistic options you threw out are better than Chris Mack in any way shape or form.
How do you know for certain? Where’s your crystal ball? Based on what, performance in the Atlantic 10? Nobody knows for sure yet, only time will tell.

Zipp isn't complaining about the length of Mack's contract though. If you want to say he got to many years then I would not argue with you. That still does not make me think he is a poor hire though. I can't predict the future and I know all coaches are hired guns. I don't care what Mack said about this being his dream job, its not a negative and I would rather have a guy who has a chance of staying long term and being successful long term then having someone who I know has a low ceiling and a short ticking clock (Davenport)

Davenport is riskier hire than Mack. He has basically no D1 record. He basically coaches in an entirely different world than the league we are in. How would he be stable? He has no proven recruiting ability and 90% of recruits don't even know who he is. I like Beilein and can't knock him but I don't want a who is that close to the end of his career. While Beilein is proven its not like Mack is just some guy we pulled from a HS. He has done well at high level bball for awhile. Why does it matter how many former players who have sons? Is that really a sound recruiting base? You recruit guys and hope they end up with children you can also recruit. That isn't that big of a pool and I would not hire a coaching whose recruiting strategy is to try pray their former players have talented children.
Look, you’re missing the point. It’s not Mack vs this guy or that guy. It’s the fact that Mack was the target and nobody else. Who was on the search committee? When were interviews held? We all know CBP slipped out in the middle of the night to meet with the Falcons. Why in this day of Wikileaks is there no rumors, nada about coaches being interviewed, even phone calls?

Also if you’re saying that certain coaches weren’t even consider because they had relationships with CRP then how can you legitimately say that you did a thorough search and that you didn’t settle?

Mack's grad transfers are a lot like him personally, neither poor nor great, just grad transfers. Mack's not a poor hire or a great hire, just a hire. He's being paid $30 million which also didn't make him too hard to get. You can BELIEVE he's going to be better than comparable coaches, but that's all you're basing your opinion on.

None of that makes me a Mack or Tyra hater--although I'm closer to the latter. It means these guys are proving themselves everyday in my eyes. And if you don't like that "proving" process being discussed here, I don't have much to offer in the way of relief. Take a vacation, don't click on my posts, or put me on ignore...

Reactions: Mayoman
According to Ranker.com’s list of top college coaches, here’s part of the list. Don’t shoot the messenger.

8 - Mark Few
11- Gregg Marshall
12 - Tony Bennett
13 - Shaka Smart
14 - Greg McDermott
15 - Brey
16 - Buzz Williams
18 - Archie Miller
19 - Ed Cooley???
20 - Frank Martin
21 - Dana Altman
22 - Sean Miller
23 - Chris Mack

Yep, looks like we got one of the best coaches in the country.

According to Ranker.com’s list of top college coaches, here’s part of the list. Don’t shoot the messenger.

8 - Mark Few
11- Gregg Marshall
12 - Tony Bennett
13 - Shaka Smart
14 - Greg McDermott
15 - Brey
16 - Buzz Williams
18 - Archie Miller
19 - Ed Cooley???
20 - Frank Martin
21 - Dana Altman
22 - Sean Miller
23 - Chris Mack

I would take Chris Mack over all those guys on that list for one reason or another.

8 - Mark Few
11- Gregg Marshall
12 - Tony Bennett
13 - Shaka Smart
14 - Greg McDermott
15 - Brey
16 - Buzz Williams
18 - Archie Miller
19 - Ed Cooley???
20 - Frank Martin
21 - Dana Altman
22 - Sean Miller
23 - Chris Mack

Well David Padgett beat Brey in South Bend and beat Buzz at The Yum and then on the road. Archie hasn’t done anything at IU. Dana Altman has baggage as does Sean Miller.

Well David Padgett beat Brey in South Bend and beat Buzz at The Yum and then on the road. Archie hasn’t done anything at IU. Dana Altman has baggage as does Sean Miller.

Yep.

Mark Few is a pure West Coast guy.
I'm not a fan of Tony Bennett's system or recruiting
Greg McDermott is a career mid-major coach
Ed Cooley ? - No idea why he's on the list

Every person on that list is either someone I would rank on the same level as Mack or someone I would rank below Mack as far their fit for Louisville.

Reactions: Sultan__of__Swine
Oops Xavier lost to Leonard Hamilton while being a #1 seed? See how that works? Good luck basing your opinions on the outcome of one game. Want a good read? Look up the article written by Jason Whitlock about the crosstown rivalry between UC and Xavier. Apparently Mack condones his players to berate opposing coaches. He’s not perfect just because we hired him.

Yep.

Every person on that list is either someone I would rank on the same level as Mack or someone I would rank below Mack as far their fit for Louisville.
So you agree he’s considered one of the best along with 10-15 other coaches? And way behind the top 8, which includes Beilein?

Yep.

It’s also funny how you cherry pick. McDermott a career mid-major coach. So was Mack until Xavier joined the BE. Oops last I looked Creighton is now in the BE.

So you agree he’s considered one of the best along with 10-15 other coaches? And way behind the top 8, which includes Beilein?

I don't really understand what you're asking here.

I think Chris Mack is in that group of coaches that are the next lineup of great coaches for the next 20 years. Based on his personality and the way he handles the media and the press, the reports from NBA scouts about his practices and player development, his age, etc. Sure, he'd done good at Xavier but not great. He's won a bunch of games and gotten some kids drafted. I don't have any Final Fours to quote or anything. He's won roughly 70% of his games, 3 conference titles and appears to be very well liked.

All I'm saying is that he has all the desirable traits that you would want in a coach in our situation. Louisville is coming off an era where we've been the face of NCAA sanctions and the FBI probe for the last 3 years and yet we just got a coach who's team was just a #1 seed in the tournament and has been linked to jobs at Ohio State and Indiana and turned them all down. For anyone to think that UL could lure an elite coach with an established resume that would be a sure fire homerun hire to the school right now is awfully arrogant in my opinion.

I'm not trying to change anyone's mind and I may be proven wrong. This isn't a science....but all I'm saying is that we don't need to be arguing amongst each other right now. Fans should be either extremely happy or at worst cautiously optimistic for the Chris Mack era. He doesn't have the established HOF resume but in my opinion he checks every box for the next up and coming coach that we need right now to lead us into the post-sanctions-Jurich-Pitino era of Louisville Basketball.

Reactions: HRTheCard

8 - Mark Few
11- Gregg Marshall
12 - Tony Bennett
13 - Shaka Smart
14 - Greg McDermott
15 - Brey
16 - Buzz Williams
18 - Archie Miller
19 - Ed Cooley???
20 - Frank Martin
21 - Dana Altman
22 - Sean Miller
23 - Chris Mack

Whatever that site is a fan voting site you go on there and vote for a coach .yourself flawed data it's just like the allstar game voting.

https://www.ranker.com/list/best-current-college-basketball-coaches/ranker-ncaa-basketball

Reactions: HRTheCard
Oops Xavier lost to Leonard Hamilton while being a #1 seed? See how that works? Good luck basing your opinions on the outcome of one game. Want a good read? Look up the article written by Jason Whitlock about the crosstown rivalry between UC and Xavier. Apparently Mack condones his players to berate opposing coaches. He’s not perfect just because we hired him.

Please show me where I said Mack was perfect.

I and others have said we BELIEVE he was the best AVAILABLE coach that Louisville COULD hire, given the damage that was done to the program.

Sure you would but it’s not based on any factual data that says he’s a better coach.

Oh so because Ranker’s says it that means he’s not as good as all the sports analysts say...oh well I guess we’ll pack up and empty the YUM and revolt by standing in front of the Grawemeyer with Picket Sticks and TJ Penny shirts

Public voting > Actual Sports Analysts

Reactions: Sultan__of__Swine
Oh so because Ranker’s says it that means he’s not as good as all the sports analysts say...oh well I guess we’ll pack up and empty the YUM and revolt by standing in front of the Grawemeyer with Picket Sticks and TJ Penny shirts

Public voting > Actual Sports Analysts
Sure beats the hell out of HRtheCard’s proven basketball IQ

That's because you don't understand--or refuse to understand--the difference between Jurich and the clown show.

Jurich has the best credentials to make a decision. If he targets one guy, that's the best guy. And he's wasting time second guessing himself.

Fanboy has zero credentials in his present job. I have as much insight into targeting one coach as he does, and yes, that's damning each of us by faint praise. For the time being, everything this guy does should be questioned.

Which is what exactly what clown show apologists REFUSE to do ('cuz you all ain't that stupid...)

Impeccable%20Standards_zpszp4kdswz.jpg

You are attacking Tyra's credentials for hiring a basketball coach.....So what were Tom Jurich's credentials in hiring a replacement men's basketball coach prior to arriving at UofL?

He was at Colorado State from 1994 - 1997. The head basketball coach was Stew Morrill who was hired in 1992 and ceased being the head coach the year after Jurich left. During the time TJ was at Colorado State the basketball program had zero NCAA or NIT appearances.

He was at Northern Arizona from 1986 - 1993. NAU made the NIT one time (1986) and never saw post season again while Jurich was AD.

Anyone with half a brain would have identified (unemployed) Rick Pitino as a top candidate.

Reactions: EKYCard643
This article sums up the take on Chris Macks hire plain and simple anybody says diffrent is just trying to be argumentative and
ill informed period.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-b...hing-moves-2018-ranking-the-top-new-hires-of-

Louisville: Chris Mack

Previously: Head coach at Xavier
Career record: 215-97
NCAA Tournament record: 11-8
Regular-season conference championships: 3

Evaluation: Simple eval here. Mack was Louisville's top target; the school landed said target. Given Mack's profile on the market in the past three years (he was viewed as an A-level candidate), Louisville did the best it possibly could have done. That's a slam dunk. Mack, 48, brings not just a big name and buzz to the hire, but a track record to back up the noise. He went to the NCAA Tournament in eight of his nine seasons at Xavier, plus took X to the Elite Eight and got the school to its first 1 seed in history. He's outgoing, good with the media and built to handle all that comes with the Louisville job.

After the Pitino predicament set the program back -- and still might do so, given the NCAA is yet to investigate the transgressions uncovered by the FBI -- the Cardinals might come out of this OK. Outside factors could still hinder the school going forward, but judging his hire based on who was available and who was attainable, Louisville was splendid.

This article sums up the take on Chris Macks hire plain and simple anybody says diffrent is just trying to be argumentative and
ill informed period.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-b...hing-moves-2018-ranking-the-top-new-hires-of-

Louisville: Chris Mack

Previously: Head coach at Xavier
Career record: 215-97
NCAA Tournament record: 11-8
Regular-season conference championships: 3

Evaluation: Simple eval here. Mack was Louisville's top target; the school landed said target. Given Mack's profile on the market in the past three years (he was viewed as an A-level candidate), Louisville did the best it possibly could have done. That's a slam dunk. Mack, 48, brings not just a big name and buzz to the hire, but a track record to back up the noise. He went to the NCAA Tournament in eight of his nine seasons at Xavier, plus took X to the Elite Eight and got the school to its first 1 seed in history. He's outgoing, good with the media and built to handle all that comes with the Louisville job.

After the Pitino predicament set the program back -- and still might do so, given the NCAA is yet to investigate the transgressions uncovered by the FBI -- the Cardinals might come out of this OK. Outside factors could still hinder the school going forward, but judging his hire based on who was available and who was attainable, Louisville was splendid.
Good statement but the first and last sentence does tell it all. He was their only target and in their minds of the powers at hand, they decided that because of Louisville’s current situation, Mack was the best attainable, which clearly says they did not pursue certain other coaches, not because they weren’t better coaches but because they didn’t think they could get them. End of story. Confirms what I have said all along.

I love the double standards in our fan base.

For years people lauded the fact that Tom Jurich had full control of coaching searches and replacements (We all remember how the Ron Cooper hire went down....that was a search committee hire). Jurich coaching searches was kept secret, there was no public interview panels or lists of candidates shared with the fan base. Jurich had his list and he worked it and hired the person he wanted.

Now, when Tyra is in the AD role and he follows the same format of hiring a head coach and does not publicize every candidate he may have or hadn't called certain fans question his transparency.
Double standards? Not really. Jurich had a great track record when it came to hiring coaches, with one bad mistake. Most of us were in the "In Tom We Trust" category. Tyra has no track record. He may turn out to be a very good AD. I certainly hope so. IMO CCM will turn out to be a good hire, but I like many others felt other candidates should have been approached. Maybe they were, but the evidence doesn't suggest so.

Reactions: nccardfan and zipp
So I gotta wait 20 years for Mack to be as good as Beinlein?

If my choice is between those two, absolutely, I would have hired Beinlein. He's earned that credibility at more than one place. Beinlein's proven he can coach up talent, and odds are high he would have been successful here. Mack is just another Xavier ex-coach--we have a lotta those examples...

Just FYI. Despite being intrigued for a long time about the NBA, Beilein not leaving for the Pistons.

You are attacking Tyra's credentials for hiring a basketball coach.....So what were Tom Jurich's credentials in hiring a replacement men's basketball coach prior to arriving at UofL?

He was at Colorado State from 1994 - 1997. The head basketball coach was Stew Morrill who was hired in 1992 and ceased being the head coach the year after Jurich left. During the time TJ was at Colorado State the basketball program had zero NCAA or NIT appearances.

He was at Northern Arizona from 1986 - 1993. NAU made the NIT one time (1986) and never saw post season again while Jurich was AD.

Anyone with half a brain would have identified (unemployed) Rick Pitino as a top candidate.
Jurich was an AD at two different schools before coming to U of L. One was D1. Tyra boiled eggs and made ham sandwiches when he was a marginal D1 baseball player thirty years ago.

Jurich probably never hired a rowing coach before his gig here either. I guess that underlies what clown show apologists call "transferable skills". It's just that the "transfer" for Jurich was shorter than ham-sandwiches-to-hiring-coaches.

And as I've asked before--with the understanding that clowns don't like answering questions--how many AD jobs was Fanboy in line for when he crawled to take the U of L job? I've googled and googled but can't find any...

Whatever that site is a fan voting site you go on there and vote for a coach .yourself flawed data it's just like the allstar game voting.

https://www.ranker.com/list/best-current-college-basketball-coaches/ranker-ncaa-basketball
I'm not speaking for nccardfan. But his data--which is more than most people are bringing to the table--indicate that Mack is just one of a number of good coaching candidates. He's not extraordinary or "best". He could turn out to be a great coach. but he ain't that close yet.

You can like Mack, that's fine. Just don't work too hard trying to justify your opinion with facts...

Reactions: nccardfan
Jurich was an AD at two different schools before coming to U of L. One was D1. Tyra boiled eggs and made ham sandwiches when he was a marginal D1 baseball player thirty years ago.

Jurich probably never hired a rowing coach before his gig here either. I guess that underlies what clown show apologists call "transferable skills". It's just that the "transfer" for Jurich was shorter than ham-sandwiches-to-hiring-coaches.

And as I've asked before--with the understanding that clowns don't like answering questions--how many AD jobs was Fanboy in line for when he crawled to take the U of L job? I've googled and googled but can't find any...

.....and at both prior schools their basketball program was bad while he was in charge. He had no experience in hiring a basketball coach because he never did so when he arrived at UofL. Had Rick Pitino not fallen into his lap, it would have really been interesting to see which way he would have gone.

Comparing the hiring of a Men's basketball coach to that of rowing is laughable. Nice try.

I love how the Weeds continue to dismiss Tyra's executive leadership experience and his ability to evaluate talent in the prior organization/companies he led. The Weeds have elevated the complexity and status of an Athletic Director to that of a brain surgeon. How hard is it really to identify top tier coaching candidates with all of the data that is available these days? You or I could probably in the course of few days have identified 8 to 9 of the top 10 coaches on Jurich's short list to replace Rick.

Getting the coaches to sign on the dotted line is where the skill lies, not identifying/selecting finalists....not anymore in this day and age of data/agents.

.....and at both prior schools their basketball program was bad while he was in charge. He had no experience in hiring a basketball coach because he never did so when he arrived at UofL. Had Rick Pitino not fallen into his lap, it would have really been interesting to see which way he would have gone.

I believe it would have been Larry Eustachy - which would have been very interesting for the campus co-eds and keg parties.

Reactions: Mayoman

Comparing the hiring of a Men's basketball coach to that of rowing is laughable. Nice try.

I love how the Weeds continue to dismiss Tyra's executive leadership experience and his ability to evaluate talent in the prior organization/companies he led. The Weeds have elevated the complexity and status of an Athletic Director to that of a brain surgeon. How hard is it really to identify top tier coaching candidates with all of the data that is available these days? You or I could probably in the course of few days have identified 8 to 9 of the top 10 coaches on Jurich's short list to replace Rick.

Getting the coaches to sign on the dotted line is where the skill lies, not identifying/selecting finalists....not anymore in this day and age of data/agents.
If being a good AD is that easy, why are all of the top guys paid in excess of a million a year? (We know that Tyra set his own salary, so he's excluded from the discussion.)

Jurich had to recruit a guy who had just walked away from a $70 million contract with the Celtics, a big time coach with options nationally. Tyra had to pay $30 million to attract the coaching interest of maybe the 4th best sports "franchise" in Cincinnati.

I love how the clown show apologists can't promote their clowns without tearing down their predecessors. And when that hate spills over to Jurich, it's freaking comical and why I hope it continues. Keep up the good work...

pigs-1507208-1-e1513681909339-1280x640.jpg

If you search the internet, you can find information that covers all sides.

Here's Mack @ #13.

https://thebiglead.com/2018/04/10/top-college-basketball-coaches-rankings/
Gosh you guys just don’t see the whole picture. Wow we got the 13th best coach according to... Doesn’t matter where they are ranked from about 8 to 25. Means they are all in the same category of good, not great. Mack can be great but so can any of the rest. What you want is some scrutiny, some evaluation, not who’s willing to accept $4 million or whose wife is from here...

Reactions: BooneCo_Card
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT