ADVERTISEMENT

Kara Lawson

Congratulations to Kara and seems like a good hire for the Blue Devils.

But I’m not worried. Each year we will Walz all over them.

Reactions: KozmasAgain
She would have had hvl and other top recruits if she was the head coach

Last edited:
I know how close she is to her...she coaches USA national 3 on 3. She knows aNd works with a lot of the top Talent. So does waltz too. He is great. Not knocking him at all

It is not an official hire yet. She IS in talks with Duke and they have confirmed she is their top candidate.

As far as saying Hailey Van Lith would have gone there...that's a statement with no basis or fact. Maybe Paige Bueckers would have come to Louisville if Geno had replaced Jeff Walz.

Also, Calboy, our coach is Jeff Walz. I have no idea who "Waltz" is. Maybe it was just a typo on your part. I've got to wonder, with a user name of Calboy -- are you a big fan of Coach Cal, or the Cal Golden Bears? If that's the case, I'm just not sure how much of an informed source you are on Hailey Van Lith.

If it turns out to be Lawson at Duke, it'd be a great move for the ACC and Lawson.

We'll see.

--sonja--

Last edited:
Reactions: KozmasAgain
I imagine it may be a Christian Academy reference maybe???

Lol everyone there is no way to prove. I know she is good and connected. I do know Walz is top 4 if not best coach in basketball. I initially was just saying acc got a lot better. She is going there. Trust me

Lol everyone there is no way to prove. I know she is good and connected. I do know Walz is top 4 if not best coach in basketball. I initially was just saying acc got a lot better. She is going there. Trust me
Good for Duke. Last time I checked CJW coached Team USA and Hailey. He offers a father figure that will continue to build on her work ethic which was instilled by her dad. Love Kara, but she has’t won game #1 yet!

And calboy refers living in California. I have been a member of this board since 2000 or 2001. When cal was at Memphis and we beat him Denny’s last regular season game.

And calboy refers living in California. I have been a member of this board since 2000 or 2001. When cal was at Memphis and we beat him Denny’s last regular season game.
Be safe and careful out there in a Corona-19 "hotspot" currently.

Kara has been a great ESPN commentator. How that translates out into coaching and winning in the ACC is anyone's guess. Nell Fortner, another broadcaster turned coach, went 20-11 and 10-8 in her first year at Georgia Tech. That's an improvement for the Yellow Jackets. I would imagine the die-hard Tennessee Vols WBB fans are perturbed by the move, Lawson was a star for Pat Summitt.

The Lawson to Duke dialogue might well be about the money. Can the Blue Devils successfully negotiate an agreeable salary with her when they failed to with Jo Anne P.?

--sonja--

There are some things I wonder and worry about with Duke making a new hire right now. I would have thought that an NBA team like Boston would have been paying Kara quite a handsome salary. In this time of the pandemic and with universities losing money right now can Duke afford to compete with Boston? The thing that does concern me with the possibility of this hire is Payton Verhulst and her commitment to Louisville.
I really like Payton’s game and know how much of an asset she would be to our program. She could be the final piece for our chances at a Title. Payton has made a verbal commitment to Louisville but not signed and I can guarantee you who ever is hired at Duke they will make a strong run at Payton. I hope she is true to her word and stays committed.

There are some things I wonder and worry about with Duke making a new hire right now. I would have thought that an NBA team like Boston would have been paying Kara quite a handsome salary. In this time of the pandemic and with universities losing money right now can Duke afford to compete with Boston? The thing that does concern me with the possibility of this hire is Payton Verhulst and her commitment to Louisville.
I really like Payton’s game and know how much of an asset she would be to our program. She could be the final piece for our chances at a Title. Payton has made a verbal commitment to Louisville but not signed and I can guarantee you who ever is hired at Duke they will make a strong run at Payton. I hope she is true to her word and stays committed.
I think you are underestimating what CJW and staff have built here.

I am not underestimating our staff, obviously they are very good at what they do. I think we are so close to getting that title with the classes we have coming in back to back we can get there. Payton will be a big part of our future success I just want to make sure we keep her.
In regards to Duke it is going to take Kara Lawson 3 to 4 years or longer to build a strong contender. She’ll be able to offer playing time but she won’t be able to offer title opportunities for awhile.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT