ADVERTISEMENT

Justin Rowland Ranks UK's 2016 football opponents

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Louisville of 10 years ago were playing in the Orange Bowl. UK can't even get to 6 wins to make a crappy bowl , which is the minimum a school from a P5 conference should be able to do.
Ok, 9 yrs ago...
I don't know man, he has NFL size, a big arm, and decent mobility. If his receivers catch a few of his deep passes last year he wins games against Fl and Auburn and his stats are a lot better. I think he can play well enough to slide into the 7th round.
I will definitely give you that his receivers did him no favors, he has the right size and arm, but he was extremely erratic with his accuracy. I think it's mostly an issue with mental toughness, and intelligence with PT.

2007 was K-thorpe's first year
The year after the Orange Bowl, which makes LPT football nothing like U of L football in recent memory.

It is true that K-rag stacks up pretty well alongside Pappaw, Joker, and Stupes.

LPT Football: Coaching graveyard...

Reactions: American Male
Yep. That's a fact. We're UofL 10 years ago... Guess there is hope for everyone.

Actually, what you are is more like Louisville's 1980-1984 team under Bob Weber. Weber finished 5-6 three straight years before falling to 3-8 then 2-9. I'm not saying Stoops will follow in Weber's footsteps exactly, but UK under Stoops does fit the general mold of Louisville's program at the time.

Using Louisville as your measuring stick is nice, but really, it's apples and oranges. We are two different kinds of programs.

In 1985, we hired a visionary that said "Louisville is on a collision course with the National Championship, the only variable is time." He said it and it became the mission. It's still the mission to this day.

Who knows if we'll ever get there, but I believe Jurich and UofL are building to reach that lofty goal. Trying very hard.

What's UK doing?

No one in that program is bellowing that UK is on a collision course with anything but a lukewarm recruiting Yahtzee. Everyone looks at Barnhart and that program, and you can just tell he's not really trying to win big. He shrank the stadium so he could better control ticket prices. He wants to go to a Bowl, sure, but that's the limit of his ambition. Getting back to a bowl is the mission at UK.

So, you can pick out a season from 9-10 years ago and say UofL and UK had the same record, but it's just a statistic. As programs they are headed in different directions.

Actually, what you are is more like Louisville's 1980-1984 team under Bob Weber. Weber finished 5-6 three straight years before falling to 3-8 then 2-9. I'm not saying Stoops will follow in Weber's footsteps exactly, but UK under Stoops does fit the general mold of Louisville's program at the time.

Using Louisville as your measuring stick is nice, but really, it's apples and oranges. We are two different kinds of programs.

In 1985, we hired a visionary that said "Louisville is on a collision course with the National Championship, the only variable is time." He said it and it became the mission. It's still the mission to this day.

Who knows if we'll ever get there, but I believe Jurich and UofL are building to reach that lofty goal. Trying very hard.

What's UK doing?

No one in that program is bellowing that UK is on a collision course with anything but a lukewarm recruiting Yahtzee. Everyone looks at Barnhart and that program, and you can just tell he's not really trying to win big. He shrank the stadium so he could better control ticket prices. He wants to go to a Bowl, sure, but that's the limit of his ambition. Getting back to a bowl is the mission at UK.

So, you can pick out a season from 9-10 years ago and say UofL and UK had the same record, but it's just a statistic. As programs they are headed in different directions.
Don't disagree, for the most part. I do think, given recent investment in both facilities and coaching, that UK is an uptick from where it has been in recent memory, regardless of on the field results. And I'm satisfied with that.

Don't disagree, for the most part. I do think, given recent investment in both facilities and coaching, that UK is an uptick from where it has been in recent memory, regardless of on the field results. And I'm satisfied with that.
Translation. My team sucks and can't compete, but the lines to take a whiz and get nachos are shorter than they used to be.

Translation. My team sucks and can't compete, but the lines to take a whiz and get nachos are shorter than they used to be.
LOL, no, those are not my words, or a sufficient translation of my words. I'm fully content with having a football program that is trying to make strides in a monster football conference, but may never get there, and a basketball team that dominates a weak basketball conference, but competes for NC's each year. My fandom for each sport is not dependent upon its success or lack thereof, although I would love to see a few more W's from the pigskin team this year.

LOL, no, those are not my words, or a sufficient translation of my words. I'm fully content with having a football program that is trying to make strides in a monster football conference, but may never get there, and a basketball team that dominates a weak basketball conference, but competes for NC's each year. My fandom for each sport is not dependent upon its success or lack thereof, although I would love to see a few more W's from the pigskin team this year.
This is coming from someone who is familiar with Mark Stoops since he was our Defensive Coordinator from 2010-2012. Some guys are good Coordinators but aren't meant to be Head Coaches. Just take a look at Will Muschamp for example. Stoops did a good job for us. And he has recruited pretty good for a job like Kentucky. But the jury is out on his Gameday coaching. Petrino is a proven HC. At least what Stoops has shown so far is that he is a good Defensive Coordinator who is struggling as a Head Coach.

For everyone below the elite programs, hiring an assistant as a head coach is kind of a crapshoot. It tends to have extreme results--very good or very bad--and you usually know pretty quick.

The premier programs have recruiting, facilities, and fan support that mask bad performance for awhile. The rest of us rely more heavily on what the new coach brings to the table.

LPT Football: We'd rather look forward...

So this thread seems to be analyzing UK's prospects for football. I'll take the red glasses off and try to give an honest assessment and not just throw out a bunch of put downs UK's way.

I'd say the outlook looks a little dim based on what Stoops has shown for three seasons. We've seen enough to get the vibe he might not be a successful guy there but it is still early enough to leave the possibility that there is still time for him to make an impact.

Recruiting wise their recruiting has gone up some...on paper. We all now, you have to check them all out when they are graduating to see how accurate their paper ranking ended up being in reality. There are some good players here or there, mainly RB Williams but overall there doesn't seem to be a lot of development of the players.

Stoops has made several coaching blunders the last couple of years so once again, there is that vibe that he might not be a great HC fit. There is still time to change that but it needs to happen soon.

Many say they are young and they do have a lot of young players still but not a lot of them are looking like stars of the future yet. Strong rebuilt the Krag disaster and talent deficit and in his 3rd year knocked off 3rd ranked, 1-loss Florida and had a future NFL QB. UK's third year they still looked really shaky and their QB situation is also very shaky.

The QB slot is the most crucial aspect of them having a good year. We don't know enough about Barker to know if he can get it done or not. If he's special he could boost UK's chances, if he's average and/or gets injured UK will most likely still struggle. We have no idea how good or bad he'll be yet.

Reactions: Mike'sMarbles
I don't know man, he has NFL size, a big arm, and decent mobility. If his receivers catch a few of his deep passes last year he wins games against Fl and Auburn and his stats are a lot better. I think he can play well enough to slide into the 7th round.
He isn't starting for BC. He quarterbacked the 2nd team who lost 3-0 in their spring game. He could be the first guy to lose us 5 times.

So this thread seems to be analyzing UK's prospects for football. I'll take the red glasses off and try to give an honest assessment and not just throw out a bunch of put downs UK's way.

I'd say the outlook looks a little dim based on what Stoops has shown for three seasons. We've seen enough to get the vibe he might not be a successful guy there but it is still early enough to leave the possibility that there is still time for him to make an impact.

Recruiting wise their recruiting has gone up some...on paper. We all now, you have to check them all out when they are graduating to see how accurate their paper ranking ended up being in reality. There are some good players here or there, mainly RB Williams but overall there doesn't seem to be a lot of development of the players.

Stoops has made several coaching blunders the last couple of years so once again, there is that vibe that he might not be a great HC fit. There is still time to change that but it needs to happen soon.

Many say they are young and they do have a lot of young players still but not a lot of them are looking like stars of the future yet. Strong rebuilt the Krag disaster and talent deficit and in his 3rd year knocked off 3rd ranked, 1-loss Florida and had a future NFL QB. UK's third year they still looked really shaky and their QB situation is also very shaky.

The QB slot is the most crucial aspect of them having a good year. We don't know enough about Barker to know if he can get it done or not. If he's special he could boost UK's chances, if he's average and/or gets injured UK will most likely still struggle. We have no idea how good or bad he'll be yet.
I think he went 1for 11 for minus 1yard in the second half against UL in his last game. He looked fair in their spring game. I think he has a long way to go if he even holds on to the job. He is not an unknown. They need to pound the ball running and eat up some clock because their d couldn't stop their number 2 offense in their spring game. Another bowl winner in the summer and misery in the fall.

You may have heard of a guy named Mac Jones. He's a QB that committed to UK as a two star when he was a sophomore and is now on the path of achieving Rivals top 100 status and a possible 5th star after winning MVP of the Orlando and Atlanta RCS stops and going on to win MVP of the Rivals Quarterback Challenge matching the top QBs nationally from the 2017 and 2018 classes.

Gunnar Hoak and Stephen Johnson aren't chopped liver either. Hoak was an ESPN 4 star and Johnson was a point short of 4 star status on ESPN as well.

Matter of fact I have heard of Mac Jones. Let me guess: after he flipped to Bama, you "didn't want him anyway."

He isn't starting for BC. He quarterbacked the 2nd team who lost 3-0 in their spring game. He could be the first guy to lose us 5 times.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but the spring game isn't going to be the end all be all for a guy that transferred into the program. Everett Golson wasn't even on FSU's campus last season for the SG but he wound up starting (before ceding) for FSU game one.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but the spring game isn't going to be the end all be all for a guy that transferred into the program. Everett Golson wasn't even on FSU's campus last season for the SG but he wound up starting (before ceding) for FSU game one.

Comparing a former uakay qb with Everett Golson, a former NOTRE DAME qb, is like comparing a piss ant with a grizzly bear. Period. Please go away until you acquire an understanding of real football. And, by the way, UofL whipped Notre Dame with Golson at qb. Maybe you ought to think about that. Oh and the young man that is now at BC may have had a chance if he'd gone to a school that knew ANYTHING about the qb position.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

You may have heard of a guy named Mac Jones. He's a QB that committed to UK as a two star

You may have heard of a football program named Alabama.

I do think it's really great that the UK coach can recognize the talent that ends up deciding to go to Alabama and tries to get those players to no avail. That's why he gets paid the big bucks yo.

Normally these threads take a little more time to create the "look back" laughs.

But your thoughts on Jones are really good here. I'm sure if you go to the Alabama board they will appreciate your well wishes!

Comparing a former uakay qb with Everett Golson, a former NOTRE DAME qb, is like comparing a piss ant with a grizzly bear. Period. Please go away until you acquire an understanding of real football. And, by the way, UofL whipped Notre Dame with Golson at qb. Maybe you ought to think about that. Oh and the young man that is now at BC may have had a chance if he'd gone to a school that knew ANYTHING about the qb position.

First, I've forgotten more about football than you've ever known. Check yourself slugger.

Second, how are you going to call Golson a "grizzly bear" for being a NOTRE DAME quarterback? Sure, UL beat Golson at ND, and he ended up losing his job. So he transferred to FSU and destroyed Louisville for 376 yards and 3 TDs while completing 68% of his passes. Further, he put up his best passing rating against a P5 opponent vs y'all.

FSU whipped Louisville with Golson, who ended up losing his job the next week against GT in a loss, maybe you should think about that, Skip. I've thought about it, and I wish UL would have played better against UL because then maybe Smag would have started against GT, FSU would only have had one loss, and they may have snuck into the playoffs.

The point is, Golson was in a new system, but the coaching staff thought he was better than the QB's (SMag, JJ, and true Freshman Francois) that were on the roster. While Golson didn't even compete in the Spring game, he still ended up starting for FSU, a team with way better options at QB then, than BC currently has. Now, I will repeat this again for you because you seem slow to grasp basic concepts, I'm not saying that Towles is going to be the next coming of Matt Ryan, but it's not far fetched to think that he takes the QB job in Chestnut Hill and has a more productive season there than he had playing for a UK team with arguably the worst receivers in the P5, let alone the SEC.

BC plays the likes of GT, Umass, Wagner, Buffalo, Syracuse, NC State, UL (who Golson shredded without even knowing his head from his ass in the FSU Offense), and Uconn. That is a much easier level of competition than what he faced last year in Florida, Mizz, Auburn, Tennessee, Miss State, and Vandy.

Next time you want to pop off, do the knowledge before running your mouth.

Last edited:

He only played against UL twice so far and against UL last year he only attempted 4 passes.

First, Mr. Lackford you don't know me so don't indicate how much football you know. You ARE a uahkay fan so it is very obvious that you don't know anything about football. I was in attendance at the FSU game last year and we were ahead 7-6 at the half while playing horrible. Plus we hadn't even made a real decision about the qb position yet. Yes, FSU was the superior team that day and it was such before the game was ever played. If you know so much then why don't you compare the pussycats vs our schedule. uahkay was about the ninth or tenth worst team on our schedule and the vast majority of the real experts agree with that. And, by the way, I've been around for 72+ years and played, coached and officiated football so please don't tell me how much you know and how much I don't know about football. Again, you are a uahkay fan and that speaks for itself.

I've forgotten more about football than you've ever known. Second, how are you going to say that Golson is a supreme talent based on the fact he played at ND and lost to UL there but had his
First, Mr. Lackford you don't know me so don't indicate how much football you know. You ARE a uahkay fan so it is very obvious that you don't know anything about football. I was in attendance at the FSU game last year and we were ahead 7-6 at the half while playing horrible. Plus we hadn't even made a real decision about the qb position yet. Yes, FSU was the superior team that day and it was such before the game was ever played. If you know so much then why don't you compare the pussycats vs our schedule. uahkay was about the ninth or tenth worst team on our schedule and the vast majority of the real experts agree with that. And, by the way, I've been around for 72+ years and played, coached and officiated football so please don't tell me how much you know and how much I don't know about football. Again, you are a uahkay fan and that speaks for itself.

I'm an FSU fan, didn't get past your first sentence. I'm done here.

I've forgotten more about football than you've ever known. Second, how are you going to say that Golson is a supreme talent based on the fact he played at ND and lost to UL there but had his

Then you are not the typical FSU fan because most of them are intelligent and great football fans. Your ignorance belies your "claim" of being an FSU fan. Damn you sure sound like a uahkay fan so maybe you are missing that boat.

Then you are not the typical FSU fan because most of them are intelligent and great football fans. Your ignorance belies your "claim" of being an FSU fan. Damn you sure sound like a uahkay fan so maybe you are missing that boat.

Look here, I'm at Meyzeek coaching every M-F from 6-8. If you want to come out and impart some of your infinite wisdom to the kids and give something back to the community come through and you will be welcome.
If you want to sit here and take petty, unsubstantiated shots at strangers, while you're cloaked in anonymity, via the Internet then carry on.

You tell them Mr. Lackford- Your football wisdom comes through loud and clear in your posts. QB's like Towles don't come along every day. It was just unfortunate for him that he had to compete against Drew Barker.

You tell them Mr. Lackford- Your football wisdom comes through loud and clear in your posts. QB's like Towles don't come along every day. It was just unfortunate for him that he had to compete against Drew Barker.

That's a lazy oversimplification of what I said. Let me break down my point to you Blue's Clues style:

Towles has a chance to improve his draft stock at BC next year.

If anything, that is a dig at how bad UK is when I'm saying going to Boston College puts a QB in a better position to succeed. Why so many of you are so deep in your bag of feelings over that take is beyond me.

That's a lazy oversimplification of what I said. Let me break down my point to you Blue's Clues style:

Towles has a chance to improve his draft stock at BC next year.

If anything, that is a dig at how bad UK is when I'm saying going to Boston College puts a QB in a better position to succeed. Why so many of you are so deep in your bag of feelings over that take is beyond me.
The boys in Blue did whip up and take some Seminole scalps last time they played so UK fans do know about taking down the big boys. Of course playing in the ACC will be a lot easier for Towles than the SEC was. In the SEC you are playing against a top 5 defense for 8 straight weeks- Look how Peyton Manning struggled.

The boys in Blue did whip up and take some Seminole scalps last time they played so UK fans do know about taking down the big boys. Of course playing in the ACC will be a lot easier for Towles. than the SEC was. In the SEC you are playing against a top 5 defense for 8 straight weeks- Look how Peyton Manning struggled.

Lol, UK beat FSU when they had half of their team suspended.

Did you just compare Towles to Peyton Manning?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT