ADVERTISEMENT

Jackson's Trajectory...

Status
Not open for further replies.
hop, I don't recall Guardman presenting an analysis of OTHER coaches, but you raise a good point. I'm making this point not to indict Petrino, but as a gauge of what may motivate him.

Quite simply, he's probably not satisfied with the results of other coaches...

...I'm not a fan of two quarterback systems but this could work. Its devastating in the third quarter to contain a guy like Lamar when the D Line gets tired, and he can throw it some, and you cant predict when he is coming in the game. No way Bobby can bench Bolin next year if we win out and he keeps moving the ball and making good decisions like he has. I actually think Bolin had an off night last week with his throws, and I bet he would say the same, so there is still much more upside to Bolin. Lots of guys can run and throw the ball but not everyone can be a real quarterback. Lamars a real talent but yet to be seen if he can read what he is seeing and be a real quarterback. Its not time to hand him the torch. No way in my mind Bolin sits for two years, no way. Too good to sit. I bet they both play, for the next two years. Bobby will have to sell it to both guys. Pass is two years away if he is not moved to a new position sooner. Just never know. Now if Lamar made a huge learning curve next year, its hard to keep that athleticism off the field. Lets see how our last three games play out.
I agree with most of that. When you say you're "not a fan of two quarterback systems", presumably that means because you've never seen them run effectively. But when Bolin and Jackson have come into our games underway, they've both performed. I can't be against a system when that's the result, and I think it may indeed be our best way to man the QB job in the near term.

A warning though... The Bolin crowd wants their guy getting 98% of the snaps and for damn sure starting the game. And they'll tear you down for presenting evidence or expressing an opinion to the contrary. Not that that should discourage you in any way...

IIRC Petrino historically has pounded inferior teams, beaten teams consistently that he's on par with, and struggled to beat better teams. The rest of your post is irrelevant to that...
Which makes him statistically similar to all other well regarded coaches.

Your contention is that it is Petrino's lack of ability to beat consistently or "light good teams up" that has him searching - ever searching for a "better" offense to fix that. It's a ridiculous assertion on its face, and though you've tried mightily to seem as though you have some special insight - we all know that you completely pulled it out of your azz.

And now that common sense and 10 minutes of research have COMPLETELY DISCREDITED your nonsense, you are still doubling down! Are you a county clerk by chance?

Reactions: CardsDan
Which makes him statistically similar to all other well regarded coaches.

Your contention is that it is Petrino's lack of ability to beat consistently or "light good teams up" that has him searching - ever searching for a "better" offense to fix that...
Two questions:
  1. What kind of teams does he need to beat to win a championship?
  2. Why is he trying to change the offense?
And fewer insults tend to make your answers more credible...

A warning though... The Bolin crowd wants their guy getting 98% of the snaps and for damn sure starting the game. And they'll tear you down for presenting evidence or expressing an opinion to the contrary. Not that that should discourage you in any way...
Wrong again.

LOUISVILLE fans want their team to do well first and foremost.

LOUISVILLE fans like myself believe that can be best accomplished through Petrino running the offense that he's been successful with for two decades - and mind you, the offense that keeps getting him hired.

LOUISVILLE fans take a look at the roster and say with no WG, Bolin is the next best choice to run that offense right now.

LOUISVILLE fans hope all of the roster improves and would be happy if LJ got coached up and came back as the starter next year - in this offense.

You are a "Zipp" fan, as you continue to prove, with your petulance and refusal to understand basic concepts that weren't first posted by you. I'm going to again suggest that you get back to insulting yut fans; it's more in your wheelhouse.

Two questions:
  1. What kind of teams does he need to beat to win a championship?
  2. Why is he trying to change the offense?
And fewer insults tend to make your answers more credible...
1. Umm, let me guess - I know this one... I'll go with "What are good teams"?
2. He's not trying to change the offense - he's trying to adapt things to fit the playmakers that he currently has on the roster.

Two questions for you.
1. If he was trying to change the offense, why didn't he simply install the pistol last year from the start with RB?
2. If he's trying to change the offense, why has he gone back to Bolin, even though Jackson is healthy?

Fine - less insults from me - more common sense and listening from you. Deal?

1. Umm, let me guess - I know this one... I'll go with "What are good teams"?
2. He's not trying to change the offense - he's trying to adapt things to fit the playmakers that he currently has on the roster.

Two questions for you.
1. If he was trying to change the offense, why didn't he simply install the pistol last year from the start with RB?
2. If he's trying to change the offense, why has he gone back to Bolin, even though Jackson is healthy?

Fine - less insults from me - more common sense and listening from you. Deal?
"Common sense and listening"... I'll bet you have a definition for that.

Examples of good teams are FSU and Clemson. We're 0-4 against them the last two years and 10-1 against the rest of the ACC. Wanna argue that?

If he's simply trying to "adapt the offense to current playmakers", why is he now recruiting dual threat QBs? Not my descriptor, that's how Rivals lists all three of them that Petrino has recruited.

My understanding is it's important that a QB can take a snap under center. The "pistol" is not under center and doesn't use a fullback.

Bolin and Jackson are about equal on balance, just different strengths and weaknesses. Absent injury, the only reason to change is to attack the defense differently. And that IMO is a great reason...

"Common sense and listening"... I'll bet you have a definition for that.

Examples of good teams are FSU and Clemson. We're 0-4 against them the last two years and 10-1 against the rest of the ACC. Wanna argue that?

If he's simply trying to "adapt the offense to current playmakers", why is he now recruiting dual threat QBs? Not my descriptor, that's how Rivals lists all three of them that Petrino has recruited.

My understanding is it's important that a QB can take a snap under center. The "pistol" is not under center and doesn't use a fullback.

Bolin and Jackson are about equal on balance, just different strengths and weaknesses. Absent injury, the only reason to change is to attack the defense differently. And that IMO is a great reason...
So I guess the answer is no then? Lol, you are the only one that would need those terms defined...

I absolutely don't want to argue fact with you - it's actually nice to get some in your posts. Let's look at those games shall we.

1. FSU - 2014 - lost to them 42-31 after being up on them by 21. More of a defensive failing but hey, it's a team game. They ended 13-1. In 2015 - poor showing on both sides of the ball but most characterized by lack of defensive effort and tackling. Hmmm, wonder why the read option didn't keep us in that game?

2. Clemson - 2014 lost 23-17 - poor clock management did us in at the end knocking on the door with the chance to win. 2015 - we lose 20-17 to the #1 team in the country - shocking result - and one that clearly led to Petrino offering Jawon Pass a scholarship.

Never mind that these are in the first two years of the new regime, and completely discount the fact that Petrino and the staff will recruit guys that fit their systems. No, we lost each of those ball games and that means that we can never beat them with Petrino's antiquated sh!tstorm of an offense. It must be changed immediately!

Petrino is recruiting dual threat QBs as well as pro style QBs - check out the complete offer sheet of the last two years and you'll see for yourself. Is it good that QBs are mobile? Of course it is - no one is saying that it isn't. But if they can't go thru their progressions, read the secondary, know when and who to throw the ball to, my guess is that they won't be much more than 3rd down situational players - if at QB at all.

Of course the pistol isn't under center - my question was, if Petrino so clearly realized the need for a better offense - then why didn't he simply bypass Gardner and install a read option type with RB? Reggie was btw, recruited by Strong - not Petrino, but I've posted and you've ignored that previously.

Pass will not be a read option guy. For heavens sake, Bridgewater was listed as a dual threat QB - do you think that was accurate?

So I guess the answer is no then? Lol, you are the only one that would need those terms defined...
Well, humor me then, and I'll give you an answer.

...1. FSU - 2014 - lost to them 42-31 after being up on them by 21. More of a defensive failing but hey, it's a team game. They ended 13-1. In 2015 - poor showing on both sides of the ball but most characterized by lack of defensive effort and tackling. Hmmm, wonder why the read option didn't keep us in that game?

2. Clemson - 2014 lost 23-17 - poor clock management did us in at the end knocking on the door with the chance to win. 2015 - we lose 20-17 to the #1 team in the country - shocking result - and one that clearly led to Petrino offering Jawon Pass a scholarship...
I don't recall anyone running a read option play against FSU last year. And Bonnafon was a true freshman then and probably isn't the pure talent that Jackson is. Pass had his scholly and committed long before the Clemson game. Not sure how you're connecting the dots there anyway.

...Never mind that these are in the first two years of the new regime, and completely discount the fact that Petrino and the staff will recruit guys that fit their systems. No, we lost each of those ball games and that means that we can never beat them with Petrino's antiquated sh!tstorm of an offense. It must be changed immediately!...
If you're saying I'm demanding a change, you're offbase. I like Petrino as the de facto OC and trust him to make the right decisions on offense. However, there's no question that he wants to experiment with his own offense, presumably to be more successful. And since it's actually the good teams we can't beat consistently, it's no leap of faith to reason that's why. You tell me the flaw in that logic.

...Petrino is recruiting dual threat QBs as well as pro style QBs - check out the complete offer sheet of the last two years and you'll see for yourself. Is it good that QBs are mobile? Of course it is - no one is saying that it isn't. But if they can't go thru their progressions, read the secondary, know when and who to throw the ball to, my guess is that they won't be much more than 3rd down situational players - if at QB at all...
The offer sheet argument is a cop out. After years of running the old dropback passing "power spread" stuff, you telling me that he now can only get commitments from dual threat QBs? No, that's the QB type he wants, and that fact alone is a marked departure from Petrino 1.0. You're in denial arguing otherwise. And he believes he can teach them that other stuff.

...Of course the pistol isn't under center - my question was, if Petrino so clearly realized the need for a better offense - then why didn't he simply bypass Gardner and install a read option type with RB? Reggie was btw, recruited by Strong - not Petrino, but I've posted and you've ignored that previously.

Pass will not be a read option guy. For heavens sake, Bridgewater was listed as a dual threat QB - do you think that was accurate?
Gardner was clearly the more polished QB. Bonnafon didn't have any college experience at QB and somewhat limited experience in high school. And what's the issue with who recruited him? Petrino obviously liked what Bonnafon was bringing to the QB picture, talent/mobility, maturity, and intelligence. I may in fact ignore an issue that I consider irrelevant, not because I don't have an answer.

I'll also just about guarantee you that Petrino, given the opportunity, would have had Teddy running read option plays. Maybe not a lot, but some...

1. I don't recall anyone running a read option play against FSU last year. And Bonnafon was a true freshman then and probably isn't the pure talent that Jackson is. Pass had his scholly and committed long before the Clemson game. Not sure how you're connecting the dots there anyway.

2. The offer sheet argument is a cop out. After years of running the old dropback passing "power spread" stuff, you telling me that he now can only get commitments from dual threat QBs? No, that's the QB type he wants, and that fact alone is a marked departure from Petrino 1.0. You're in denial arguing otherwise. And he believes he can teach them that other stuff.

3. I'll also just about guarantee you that Petrino, given the opportunity, would have had Teddy running read option plays. Maybe not a lot, but some...

1. Never said anyone ran read option in the 2014 FSU game - wondered why they didn't in the 2015. Try talking softer when you read. Not comparing RB and LJ - certainly not in the completely subjective "pure talent" conversation. They both have a wealth of it - it's a shame that neither it translates to what is needed to be the QB in the Petrino offense at this point in time.

No dots being connected with the Pass comment - it was all sarcasm, as if it was that moment in time that Petrino realized his offense was a dumpster fire.

2. Your cop out comment is itself a cop out, because you simply don't understand the landscape of high school football and scouting services. If a HS QB runs at all, for any reason - he's gonna be labeled a "dual threat" guy. It's the quickest way to get the designation - well that and being African American. Pass will NOT be a dual threat QB here - Petrino didn't recruit him to be that player, he's not coming here to be that player, and he said he wasn't coming here to be that type of player. I'm not sure what further evidence you want?

3. If you truly believe this, there really is no help for you.

Gentlemen,

I am grateful that we have four quality QB's on the team. None of them Heisman candidates, but each of them have helped us win games against good competition. I can not remember a time UofL ever had this much talent at QB and I have been a fan for over 35 years. Each of them seem to be quality young men and team first. If they can get along, we as fans should do the same.

BEAT Pitt and stump the Kitties for their behavior last year at OUR house.

1. Never said anyone ran read option in the 2014 FSU game - wondered why they didn't in the 2015...
The offense bagged 50 more yards against FSU this year than they are allowing per game on average. Evidently, that's improvement from--what was the word?--a "$hitstorm...

...2. Your cop out comment is itself a cop out, because you simply don't understand the landscape of high school football and scouting services. If a HS QB runs at all, for any reason - he's gonna be labeled a "dual threat" guy. It's the quickest way to get the designation - well that and being African American. Pass will NOT be a dual threat QB here - Petrino didn't recruit him to be that player, he's not coming here to be that player, and he said he wasn't coming here to be that type of player. I'm not sure what further evidence you want?...
That answer doesn't address the fundamental question... If pro-style vs. dual threat is all circumstantial, why aren't we accepting commitments from ANY dropback guys anymore?...

The offense bagged 50 more yards against FSU this year than they are allowing per game on average. Evidently, that's improvement from--what was the word?--a "$hitstorm...

That answer doesn't address the fundamental question... If pro-style vs. dual threat is all circumstantial, why aren't we accepting commitments from ANY dropback guys anymore?...
Offense bagged 50 more yards in a loss - remember? Remember - we can't beat those good teams? I guess based on your theory - next time we play them BP will go to the Wing-T.

Just because it's an answer you don't like and doesn't fit your narrative, doesn't mean I've not answered the "fundamental question". So you know - there are 10 listed currently as QBs that Louisville has interest in for 2016 - 6 of them are listed as drop back / pro set Qbs.

Does that answer it for you - Mr. "Teddy Bridgewater should have been a read option QB" - lol.

Gentlemen,

I am grateful that we have four quality QB's on the team. None of them Heisman candidates, but each of them have helped us win games against good competition. I can not remember a time UofL ever had this much talent at QB and I have been a fan for over 35 years. Each of them seem to be quality young men and team first. If they can get along, we as fans should do the same.

BEAT Pitt and stump the Kitties for their behavior last year at OUR house.
I agree. The good news is - all but one of us do get along but, we'll keep trying to bring him back into the L1C4 fold with the rest of us.

it's apparent that your pissing contest has gotten personal but to the rest of us it's getting old . . . fast. I'd suggest you agree to disagree and then let it go. Plus let's support the team in it's ENTIRETY, not just your qb of choice and I do understand the "whys" of your support.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

Reactions: SoulSr
I agree to move on but let's get the record straight, you will never get a resolution or apology from Zipp. He prides himself on reflecting, deflecting and just plain avoidance. Given that, in conclusion, the majority of us in this thread are behind the Cards no matter who is QB, while one hangs on to the hope that KB fails against Pitt while either LJ or RB saves the day and therefore makes it able for that person to say I told you so, and not so much for the Cards winning but for that person (Zipp) to claim he is right for a change.

Go Cards!!! Beat Pitt!

Last edited:
Offense bagged 50 more yards in a loss - remember? Remember - we can't beat those good teams?...
The FSU loss was on the defense. The worst that unit has played this year.

Remember?...

Stats don't cover circumstance, they just can't capture "everything" in a game.

Wouldn't it seem likely, given the fact that FSU was up 14-21 pts throughout the 4th Q against UofL, that they would probably play some form of prevent defense and allow yards gradually the entire 4th Q to play out the clock, or maybe use a few reserves late in the game, kind of like UofL did when hosting Syracuse and gave up the garbage time TD?

Last edited:

Remember?...

The FSU game was a team loss. The defense gave up 6 points in the first half, and the offense only scored 7 pts with one sustained drive out of six possessions.

The offense also fumbled deep in our own territory early in the 3rd Q setting FSU up for a quick TD to really swing the game to a 13 pt lead for FSU, and then the offense got intercepted the very first play after the TD to completely deflate the entire team after getting set up with great field position at our own 40.

Once the game became a 3 TD game, the FSU defense changed philosophies and started allowing short gains to eat clock, something teams do with commanding leads against teams that have home run hitters like James Quick, Lamar Jackson, and Staples, etc.

The defense was shredded, and effort was questioned, but it still looked like a team loss.

Wait a minute Zipp. You started another thread that said our defense was great all year and our offense not so much. In this thread you're blaming the loss to FSU on the D? So tell me, grantham is doing his job, who's not? Is it McGee or BP?

Remember?...
Perfect example of the deflection and avoidance that Nccardfan referenced.

1. You opine that Petrino is looking for a new offense due to his inability to beat good teams, then tout the offense (led by LJ) as having put up 50 more yards (big whoop-dee sh!t) in the FSU game as evidence supporting your theory. Meanwhile, I remind you that it was still a loss and therefore not in line with your overall (ridiculous) theory.

What do you come back with? "Uh - it was the defense's fault". DEFLECTION

2. You ask me to answer the fundamental QB recruiting question and when I give you the information that Petrino has offered more drop back QBs than read option guys (another point where you were wrong) - you completely drop it. AVOIDANCE

Give it up Zipp - you don't know what you're talking about and yet you keep talking. How many people have to tell you that your wrong before you stop making a fool of yourself?

...Wouldn't it seem likely, given the fact that FSU was up 14-21 pts throughout the 4th Q against UofL, that they would probably play some form of prevent defense and allow yards gradually the entire 4th Q to play out the clock, or maybe use a few reserves late in the game, kind of like UofL did when hosting Syracuse and gave up the garbage time TD?
The issue is the defense, not the offense. Clearly, the FSU game was our poorest defensive performance of the year...
Defense_zpsnlvvrste.jpg

And you don't have to take my word for it...

Steve%20Jones%20tweet_zpsertikmsl.jpg

There were numerous posts here in the aftermath of that game about the defense. Offbase in retrospect as to the quality of our defense, but perhaps not about the effort. Some of you guys have short memories.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wait a minute Zipp. You started another thread that said our defense was great all year and our offense not so much. In this thread you're blaming the loss to FSU on the D? So tell me, grantham is doing his job, who's not? Is it McGee or BP?
Our defense is very good and Because the FSU game was a loss, he alleges the offense was poor, or maybe Jackson was the problem. We gained nearly 100 yards more offense in that game than FSU normally allows, and Jackson's QB rating was 153, better than Bolin is averaging this year and against a respectable defense nationally.

The offense may not have won the game, but it sure didn't lose it. That was on the defense...

Perfect example of the deflection and avoidance that Nccardfan referenced.

1. You opine that Petrino is looking for a new offense due to his inability to beat good teams, then tout the offense (led by LJ) as having put up 50 more yards (big whoop-dee sh!t) in the FSU game as evidence supporting your theory. Meanwhile, I remind you that it was still a loss and therefore not in line with your overall (ridiculous) theory.

What do you come back with? "Uh - it was the defense's fault". DEFLECTION

2. You ask me to answer the fundamental QB recruiting question and when I give you the information that Petrino has offered more drop back QBs than read option guys (another point where you were wrong) - you completely drop it. AVOIDANCE

Give it up Zipp - you don't know what you're talking about and yet you keep talking. How many people have to tell you that your wrong before you stop making a fool of yourself?
Your problem is that the majority of your questions are irrelevant. Who gives an ish who we offer, it's who we SIGN.

And why would good dropback passing QBs--listed as such on Rivals--turn us down if the Petrino offense features dropback passers? Your logic makes no sense. Only the guys listed "dual threat" are interested in a dropback passing offense? Right.

Nobody ever said we have arrived offensively. You pick one loss and say arbitrarily that's on the offense. Well, Clemson then and a 100% dropback passing offense. Does that make us even?

Some people say I like to argue.

Zipp - You quoted one of my posts but you just walked me to a graph that had nothing to do with my two specific points in either of my posts, a blogger's twitter that had nothing to do with my two specific points, and walked me back to message board posts made by other people during the UofL/FSU game a month ago that had nothing to do with my two specific points.

My posts stated...

1) The offense is an issue when the offense fumbles deep in it's own territory, and turns it over again the very next possession in the 2nd half of what at the time was a one possession game. That happened during the 2nd half of the FSU game/meltdown.

2) The offense can put up meaningless yards against a prevent D down multiple scores midway through a 4th Q. That too, happened during the 4th Q of the FSU game/meltdown.

By ignoring my first point, are you suggesting it's the defense's fault when the offense turns it over?

Or are you saying it's ok for the offense to turn it over?

You keep asking if people remember. Do you remember the offense producing back to back critical turnovers in the 2nd half that played a role in the loss?

Last edited:
Reactions: BPGhost
Zipp... My posts stated...

1) The offense is an issue when the offense fumbles deep in it's own territory, and turns it over again the very next possession in the 2nd half of what at the time was a one possession game. That happened during the 2nd half of the FSU game/meltdown.

2) The offense can put up meaningless yards against a prevent D down multiple scores midway through a 4th Q. That too, happened during the 4th Q of the FSU game/meltdown.

By ignoring my first point, are you suggesting it's the defense's fault when the offense turns it over?

Or are you saying it's ok for the offense to turn it over?

You keep asking if people remember. Do you remember the offense producing back to back critical turnovers in the 2nd half that played a role in the loss?
hop, I don't remember anything remarkable about that game besides the defense laying down in the 2nd half. But I don't mind dissecting the results a little more, if nothing else, to see after-the-fact if we were all wrong about who or what was at fault...

We had two turnovers in the FSU game and ended up -2 in that stat which ain't good. But if you look at our season overall, that's actually better than we've been averaging. We have 12 fumbles lost on the year which is tied for 124th nationally, and 11 interceptions which it tied for 100th. So, we're not too good at protecting the ball. Again, the Bolin guy was singling out the offense in the FSU game (loss) compared to other games we won. As far as TOs, that game doesn't stand out. A lot of TOs are at inopportune times, maybe most if you're the football coach!

So, take off 100 yards due to the "prevent defense". We still hit close to what the average team does against FSU offensively. And I might argue a big deficit forced our freshman, dual threat QB to try to read the defense and pass the ball more, which many are claiming is not exactly his strength.

Can't resolve a debate by ignoring data and looking at subjective factors. And the data clearly show the FSU game result was on the defense...

Are we no longer recruiting Tanner Morgan, Pro-Style QB Ryle HS (2017)?? I thought he was recruited and offered by Coach Petrino, himself.

I wonder if Tanner knows that his commitment is no longer being honored ???

hop, I don't remember anything remarkable about that game besides the defense laying down in the 2nd half. - That's ok that's why I'm refreshing your memory. We fumbled deep in our own territory in the 3rd Q down 6 and immediately fell behind 13. We then turned it over the very next play with a deep pass and they got another TD off that turnover and there we are down 20....those were crucial turns of events that contributed to the loss. Poor defense, and untimely turnovers.

We had two turnovers in the FSU game and ended up -2 in that stat which ain't good. - That's half the story. The other half is those turnovers happened when the game was essentially lost - those turnovers were converted into 14 pts and the score went from -6 to -20 in a hurry.

But if you look at our season overall, - That's where we break down, I'm not looking at the season overall, I'm locked in on the FSU game because that is the game in question.

So, take off 100 yards due to the "prevent defense". We still hit close to what the average team does against FSU offensively. - We only had 7 pts at halftime. The defense held FSU in check and gave us an opportunity to get a substantial lead, but the offense was only capable of producing one sustained scoring drive out of six possessions.

And I might argue a big deficit forced our freshman, dual threat QB to try - In this particular game it was our freshman dual threat QB that turned the ball over on both occasions in the 2nd half - he was part of the problem.

And that is all I'm really trying to say here - it was a team loss. You continue to lay it on the defense's feet, and point to some prevent defense inflated statistics when we got yards when it didn't matter. The D did not come through, and unfortunately LJ made two critical turnovers while the game was still winnable and it was over real fast. You can't just forgive the crucial turnovers because "that's what we do" - that's no excuse. Turnovers lead to ..... big deficits - which is what you eluded to above. I just don't understand why our offense would get a "pass" for making mistakes simply because they "always make mistakes"... does not make the mistakes tolerable.

...And that is all I'm really trying to say here - it was a team loss...
Well, then try this... We both have a bias in the debate. I found you a quote by an objective third party who described the defense as in "total meltdown". And I didn't really look that hard.

Find me a similar quote by a 3rd party concluding the same about the offense against FSU. No, it doesn't have to be the same wording, but it needs to be extreme like the game was defensively.

This thread is titled "Jackson's trajectory" which is (or was) a season to date perspective. A Bolin guy challenged anything good to say about Jackson by pointing out a single game, the FSU loss. Typical diversionary tactic. But this ain't a a thread about the FSU game. IMO all I have to do is prove there wasn't anything remarkable offensively about the FSU game to defeat the Bolin guy's point. And I've done that...

I get a kick outta folks in denial--like LPT fans on most subjects. If that also describes you in the type-of-QB debate, I'm gonna ask you to take the podium. Tell me that there's nothing much different about this group of QBs...

former%20qbs_zpsv0gczfty.jpg

from this group...

current%20qbs_zpsnzuyfyir.jpg

These are either guys on scholarship or guys from whom we have commitments. I haven't heard anyone's at risk of losing their scholly/offer so that a true dropback guy can take that slot. And keep in mind that the first two guys in this 2nd group were already on scholarship when Petrino came here. He would've had to kick Gardner or Bolin off the team. The last four guys are the ones he had a real decision about.

Ok, let the spinnin' and 'splainin' commence!..

Last edited:
Tanner Morgan (2017) Pro-Style QB Ryle HS.

Recruited / offered by Coach Petrino, himself, last May.

"...I love their offense: pro-style, get under center, get in the shotgun sometimes, wing it around. It definitely suits my interests, and the history they've had in having successful quarterbacks and getting them to the next level is crazy. And I don't see that success stopping anytime soon."
(Tanner Morgan, as quoted by Steve Jones, Courier-Journal June 23, 2015)

Another excerpt from Steve Jones' June 23, 2015 article about the recruitment of Tanner Morgan:

When Petrino made the offer to Morgan last month, the coach told him he believes the Cards' offense is well-suited for his abilities.

"And I have to agree with that wholeheartedly," Morgan said. "I do I think I would fit like a glove into that offense."

Why does he view it as potentially a good fit?

"I'd say I'm more of a pocket passer," Morgan said. "I love to get under center and take five-step drops and just wing it. I can run, too, if I have to, but I'm the type of quarterback who would rather pick you apart and throw it all over you."

(Steve Jones, Courier Journal June 23, 2015)

Why did Coach Petrino offer this young man a scholarship ?????

...Why did Coach Petrino offer this young man a scholarship ?????
Don't know. Maybe he's the world's best pro-style QB. All I know is what I see and hear. In this case, dual threat QBs as far as the eye can see...

I absolutely don't want to argue fact with you - it's actually nice to get some in your posts. Let's look at those games shall we.

1. FSU - 2014 - lost to them 42-31 after being up on them by 21. More of a defensive failing but hey, it's a team game. They ended 13-1. In 2015 - poor showing on both sides of the ball but most characterized by lack of defensive effort and tackling. Hmmm, wonder why the read option didn't keep us in that game?

2. Clemson - 2014 lost 23-17 - poor clock management did us in at the end knocking on the door with the chance to win. 2015 - we lose 20-17 to the #1 team in the country - shocking result - and one that clearly led to Petrino offering Jawon Pass a scholarship.

Never mind that these are in the first two years of the new regime, and completely discount the fact that Petrino and the staff will recruit guys that fit their systems. No, we lost each of those ball games and that means that we can never beat them with Petrino's antiquated sh!tstorm of an offense. It must be changed immediately!

Petrino is recruiting dual threat QBs as well as pro style QBs - check out the complete offer sheet of the last two years and you'll see for yourself. Is it good that QBs are mobile? Of course it is - no one is saying that it isn't. But if they can't go thru their progressions, read the secondary, know when and who to throw the ball to, my guess is that they won't be much more than 3rd down situational players - if at QB at all.

Of course the pistol isn't under center - my question was, if Petrino so clearly realized the need for a better offense - then why didn't he simply bypass Gardner and install a read option type with RB? Reggie was btw, recruited by Strong - not Petrino, but I've posted and you've ignored that previously.

Great post ghost. Zipp's problem is that he can't deal with reality. He was all about trusting the coaches right up until the coaches decided Bolin was the guy. He's butt hurt now, evidenced by his obsession with trying to prove ANY quarterback should start over Bolin. Instead of enjoying the turn around, he's morphed into this 'I know I'm right' guy. So sad.

I love LJ, but until he can take snaps under center and learn to read defenses Bolin will be our starter, and zip will continue to piss in the wind. Thanks for your input. It's refreshing.

So, no one takes the "describe those quarterbacks" challenge? I've got my popcorn popped and everything!

:D

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, then try this... We both have a bias in the debate. - My only bias is I find football to be a team sport with countless players that have an impact in all phases, O, D, and ST.

I found you a quote by an objective third party who described the defense as in "total meltdown". And I didn't really look that hard. - Steve is a blogger, he is a dialed up insider of course but when it comes to evaluating action on the field that we all see he holds no upper hand on any other fan that watches a lot of games.

Find me a similar quote by a 3rd party concluding the same about the offense against FSU. No, it doesn't have to be the same wording, but it needs to be extreme like the game was defensively. - Now this is odd. You're asking me to go find "opinions" of other people, after all we've talked about the last couple weeks in regards to facts vs opinions - you are now asking for opinions.

But since you asked for it, here it is, straight from the game recap.
No opinion piece. Just the facts. I didn't have to look hard for this.

http://espn.go.com/ncf/recap?gameId=400756954

"Louisville (2-4, 1-2 ACC) was able to stay with the Seminoles for two-and-a-half quarters, but two turnovers in the third quarter derailed any momentum."

Your problem is that the majority of your questions are irrelevant. Who gives an ish who we offer, it's who we SIGN.

And why would good dropback passing QBs--listed as such on Rivals--turn us down if the Petrino offense features dropback passers? Your logic makes no sense. Only the guys listed "dual threat" are interested in a dropback passing offense? Right.

Nobody ever said we have arrived offensively. You pick one loss and say arbitrarily that's on the offense. Well, Clemson then and a 100% dropback passing offense. Does that make us even?

Some people say I like to argue.
Any "irrelevancy" you find in the questions posed are the result of two circumstances.
1. The questions and their resulting answers don't fit your inane and irrelevant narrative.
2. The questions are an extension of your inane and irrelevant narrative, intended to lead you by the nose if necessary to the society of common sense.

Case in point - you blather on about what types of QBs Petrino is recruiting - I (and others) point out that the majority of those QBs being recruited are drop back guys. Your responses?

1. "Your logic makes no sense". I'm simply telling you who Petrino is recruiting - if you don't like it, well it's not my logic you have a problem with.

2. "Who cares who he's recruiting - it only matters who he's signed". Well then shut up about who's he's recruiting because you're the one that opened that can of worms - only to be wrong again.

I didn't "pick one loss", and I certainly didn't put the blame on any personnel group - football is a team sport and you win or lose together. I highlighted how the games (from 2014 & 2015) played out against the teams that you say we can't beat. The games that you use as the basis for your ridiculous assertion that Petrino is looking to change his system. You got caught up on the 2015 FSU game because you thought those extra 50 yards somehow proved your point.

For the last time - Petrino is doing his best to adapt to the personnel that he has now - not changing his system.

Zipp - Z1Z4

Last edited:
A Bolin guy challenged anything good to say about Jackson by pointing out a single game, the FSU loss. Typical diversionary tactic. But this ain't a a thread about the FSU game. IMO all I have to do is prove there wasn't anything remarkable offensively about the FSU game to defeat the Bolin guy's point. And I've done that...
LOL! For the record (again) I think LJ is awesome and look forward to him being an integral part of Louisville for as long as he's here - and in whatever position he's in. I've already stated that I hope he gets coached up and is able to come in next year and combine being able to run Petrino's system with his athleticism. I'm not sure how I (and others) could be anymore clear.

The problem Zipp is that in top of being myopic, you're blind as well. I'm going to guess that's the result of staring in the mirror and telling yourself how wonderful you are 25 hours a day.

Zipp - L(ikes)1-C(omments)32

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT