ADVERTISEMENT

It's official. FSU/Michigan Orange Bowl

Not sure, but just saw the entire top 25 and now I have no idea who we'll be playing. Sugar Bowl took Auburn over Florida.

Citrus is a bowl where they can pick, but it's ACC vs SEC. Next highest ranked SEC team in Florida. Then LSU. Then Tenn.

So it will basically come down to which of those three does the Citrus want to see against UofL. Florida is going to create the biggest ticket sales.

Gonna be interesting to see how that all shakes out. There's also the possibility (very slight) that the citrus could take VT over us, but I don't see it. We're ranked #13, VT is 22 I think.

Reactions: L'ville posse
Yep. We had 4 teams to beat this year for sure and we were 1-4. A lot of hype this year but could not FINISH the job.

Reactions: Deeva
Yep. We had 4 teams to beat this year for sure and we were 1-4. A lot of hype this year but could not FINISH the job.
How could we go 1-4 against those teams this year but only have 3 losses?? I still say it's bs that when finished just behind FSU when we beat them by 43.

Reactions: BPGhost
The Kentucky loss was a very expensive loss for Louisville. The Orange bowl pays $18 million while the Belk Bowl pays $1.7 million. On the other hand, Kentucky was projected to go the Independence Bowl before Louisville game. The Independence Bowl only pays about $1.2 million. Now it looks like they are going to the TaxSlayer (Gator) Bowl, which pays about $2.75 million. By my math the UK loss cost UofL $16.3 million and made UK $1.55 million. Of course, some of this money would have been shared with their respective conferences.
???. UL still get its cut of the Orange Bowl payout.

You're right. They also are going to the Citrus instead of the Belk.

How could we go 1-4 against those teams this year but only have 3 losses?? I still say it's bs that when finished just behind FSU when we beat them by 43.

You mean Louisville goes 7-1 in conference including beating them, and finished behind them?

Reverse that, and FSU still goes to the Orange bowl.
Theyre one of the big boys. Louisville isnt.

It's complete bullsh!t. Should've handled their business and it wouldn't have been an issue but, there's no justification for FSU being ranked ahead of UofL

Our Football Program has made good progress!

To be considered one of the Big Boys:

You have to be a member of one of the Power Conferences. Check

You have to win consistently. Half Check

You beat ranked opponents. Check

You don't lose to un-ranked opponents at home. Failed.

Win the post season Bowl and start 2017 in the top 15.

Go Cards and thanks for an exciting season.

It's complete bullsh!t. Should've handled their business and it wouldn't have been an issue but, there's no justification for FSU being ranked ahead of UofL
But there is. Otherwise I could argue that Houston should be ranked ahead of Louisville since they both have 3 losses and Houston has the head to head. I am not saying he is right or wrong but the committee chair said FSU ranks ahead of Louisville based on where the teams are at today and due to having a stronger strength of schedule. FSU had three wins over teams with 8 or more wins while Louisville had one. Again I am not saying I agree or disagree with it but that was the justification he used.

But there is. Otherwise I could argue that Houston should be ranked ahead of Louisville since they both have 3 losses and Houston has the head to head. I am not saying he is right or wrong but the committee chair said FSU ranks ahead of Louisville based on where the teams are at today and due to having a stronger strength of schedule. FSU had three wins over teams with 8 or more wins while Louisville had one. Again I am not saying I agree or disagree with it but that was the justification he used.

If you rank Houston ahead of Louisville, because of the head to head, then you HAVE to rank Louisville ahead of FSU period.

If you rank Houston ahead of Louisville, because of the head to head, then you HAVE to rank Louisville ahead of FSU period.
I'm not saying Houston should be ahead of Louisville. My point is they shouldn't. I'm saying they looked at more things than just head to head. I just made a point of saying Houston shouldn't be ahead of Louisville but if you were basing it only on head to head they should. The committee looked at the quality of each team's wins and how they were playing in the last month of the season.

Instead of "Whning" about the Citrus Bowl-(which in August we all would have taken)...should have handled business against Houston and Kentucky....this is what we deserve..period....

Since this is an ACC bid, the Cards handled their ACC business by going 7-1 in the conference INCLUDING beating FSU.

If the Cards had beat UH and SuCkS, but finished 5-3 in conference including a loss to FSU, who would have got it ? UofL or FSU ?

Instead of "Whning" about the Citrus Bowl-(which in August we all would have taken)...should have handled business against Houston and Kentucky....this is what we deserve..period....

I think you're right. Obviously you're going to be disappointed being two weeks away from making the college football playoff (Who knows what the voters do if Cards only lose to Clemson) but if someone told you that you're going to have a Heisman trophy winner and rock FSU, who wouldn't take that?

Truth is, no one will remember anything about the college football season outside of who won the national championship and who won the Heisman.

Since this is an ACC bid, the Cards handled their ACC business by going 7-1 in the conference INCLUDING beating FSU.

If the Cards had beat UH and SuCkS, but finished 5-3 in conference including a loss to FSU, who would have got it ? UofL or FSU ?

And the ACC handles it by going with the highest rated CFP ACC School if the ACC Champ in the CFP...Win the last two or simply don't fumble it the Orange Bowl.

And really I'm more than ok with the Citrus Bowl...the Top Bowl that is not a NYD Six Bowl...beats the days of the GMAC Bowl.

Disagree. FSU beat several ranked teams. We beat one. We lost to two unranked teams.

By your logic, Houston should be in a better bowl than either because Houston beat us and we beat FSU.

If we would have taken care of business against UK, this conversation wouldnt be happening. Houston would have been considered the fluke loss where nothing went right just like FSU's loss to us.

FSU finished with a win over a ranked team. We finished with 2 straight losses to unranked teams

We got what we earned.

Reactions: The Public Enemy
I don't think there is. And that's the problem with a non-transparent process where individual biases and subjectivity (can) come into play.

All the things that you mention should come into play when trying to compare teams from different conferences because there is a lack of commonality between the two - NOT between two teams from the same damn division of the same damn conference. Then, one team finishing 2 games ahead of the other in the conference and the H2H matchup should take precedence. As KRhodes accurately noted, switch the circumstances completely and FSU still goes to the OB.

The only thing positive that could come out of BS situations like this, is hastening the playoff to include 8 teams. And before anyone says that 8 teams wouldn't have helped UofL this year - Duh.

And the ACC handles it by going with the highest rated CFP ACC School if the ACC Champ in the CFP...Win the last two or simply don't fumble it the Orange Bowl.

And really I'm more than ok with the Citrus Bowl...the Top Bowl that is not a NYD Six Bowl...beats the days of the GMAC Bowl.

Im well aware how the ACC handles it.
They go for ratings and money.

If it was between UofL and Nc state, would this be a topic?
The Orange bowl would trip over themselves to get a Michigan vs Lamar matchup.

Just go to a 2 game season since the other 10 dont count.

Disagree. FSU beat several ranked teams. We beat one. We lost to two unranked teams.

By your logic, Houston should be in a better bowl than either because Houston beat us and we beat FSU.

If we would have taken care of business against UK, this conversation wouldnt be happening. Houston would have been considered the fluke loss where nothing went right just like FSU's loss to us.

FSU finished with a win over a ranked team. We finished with 2 straight losses to unranked teams

We got what we earned.
You're just one little letter away from having your point regarding Houston mean something - and that letter is 'A' - as in AAC. When Houston becomes a member of the ACC and finishes two games ahead of us as well as winning the H2H - then you might be onto something.

Reactions: KerryRhodes
I don't think there is. And that's the problem with a non-transparent process where individual biases and subjectivity (can) come into play.

All the things that you mention should come into play when trying to compare teams from different conferences because there is a lack of commonality between the two - NOT between two teams from the same damn division of the same damn conference. Then, one team finishing 2 games ahead of the other in the conference and the H2H matchup should take precedence. As KRhodes accurately noted, switch the circumstances completely and FSU still goes to the OB.

The only thing positive that could come out of BS situations like this, is hastening the playoff to include 8 teams. And before anyone says that 8 teams wouldn't have helped UofL this year - Duh.
Not all conference schedules are created equal. We played Miami and UNC in the crossover, both of which are 8-4 teams. You played Duke and Virginia, two teams that didn't make a Bowl. That isn't your fault but the committee looks at the entire 12 game season when making their rankings. This isn't a situation where the committee is only basing it on the Conference Record. If that's the case, why not schedule four FCS game since those wouldn't count.

Point is Louisville has the head to head on us but their losses are worse than ours and they didn't have as many quality wins as we did. And if they beat Kentucky this wouldn't be an issue because Louisville would have rightfully gotten the Orange Bowl invite.

Not all conference schedules are created equal. We played Miami and UNC in the crossover, both of which are 8-4 teams. You played Duke and Virginia, two teams that didn't make a Bowl. That isn't your fault but the committee looks at the entire 12 game season when making their rankings. This isn't a situation where the committee is only basing it on the Conference Record. If that's the case, why not schedule four FCS game since those wouldn't count.

Point is Louisville has the head to head on us but their losses are worse than ours and they didn't have as many quality wins as we did. And if they beat Kentucky this wouldn't be an issue because Louisville would have rightfully gotten the Orange Bowl invite.

Louisville deserved ACC Orange bowl invite by finishing 7-1.
FSU finished 5-3.

This was a ratings grab. Nothing else.

Ive asked you and several other FSU fans to switch the teams under the exact same circumstances. Now who gets the bid ?

Ive asked you and other FSU fans if this was between UofL and Nc state under the exact same circumstances, who gets the invite ?

No answers from any of you. Point made.

Of course we know that if the roles were reversed, FSU would be going to the Orange Bowl. At that point in the season beating Houston and UK mean nothing in the ACC. What kept us in the discussion was our early season ranking. That wouldn't have been the case if the roles were reversed, we would have already been in FSU's rear view mirror.

Louisville deserved ACC Orange bowl invite by finishing 7-1.
FSU finished 5-3.

This was a ratings grab. Nothing else.

Ive asked you and several other FSU fans to switch the teams under the exact same circumstances. Now who gets the bid ?

Ive asked you and other FSU fans if this was between UofL and Nc state under the exact same circumstances, who gets the invite ?

No answers from any of you. Point made.
I have no idea what the committee would do if the roles were reversed because that is a hypothetical. You cited the 7-1 ACC record. Do your other games count? We beat South Florida, Florida and Ole Miss before they lost a lot of their team to injury. We finished 4-0 in Non Conference. Louisville finished 2-2. Are those game not supposed to factor into the rankings?

I have no idea what the committee would do if the roles were reversed because that is a hypothetical. You cited the 7-1 ACC record. Do your other games count? We beat South Florida, Florida and Ole Miss before they lost a lot of their team to injury. We finished 4-0 in Non Conference. Louisville finished 2-2. Are those game not supposed to factor into the rankings?

Schmidty...win the Orange Bowl....to me you earned it because we didn't finish...some want to whine about this...we are going to a great Bowl in the Citrus Bowl with a historic ranked opponent...

Its supposed to go to the BEST ACC team thats not in the playoffs, since its guaranteed to go to an ACC team.

We all know if the hypothetical was true, FSU gets it, no discussion.

I'm not saying Houston should be ahead of Louisville. My point is they shouldn't. I'm saying they looked at more things than just head to head. I just made a point of saying Houston shouldn't be ahead of Louisville but if you were basing it only on head to head they should. The committee looked at the quality of each team's wins and how they were playing in the last month of the season.
Actually Schmidty, Houston beat you guys too. Maybe they should be ahead of us both.

Schmidty...win the Orange Bowl....to me you earned it because we didn't finish...some want to whine about this...we are going to a great Bowl in the Citrus Bowl with a historic ranked opponent...
I'm pretty sure no one is saying that they want FSU to do anything besides kick the crap out of Michigan.

For the record though, a UofL fan expressing their displeasure with a system that is non-transparent and appears to use subjective criteria to favor more established programs isn't whining anymore than a UofL fan who thinks FSU should have gotten the OB bid is laying down.

I'm pretty sure no one is saying that they want FSU to do anything besides kick the crap out of Michigan.

For the record though, a UofL fan expressing their displeasure with a system that is non-transparent and appears to use subjective criteria to favor more established programs isn't whining anymore than a UofL fan who thinks FSU should have gotten the OB bid is laying down.

My thing is they should not even left it up for debate....they stay focused it is Louisville in the Orange Bowl

Its supposed to go to the BEST ACC team thats not in the playoffs, since its guaranteed to go to an ACC team.

We all know if the hypothetical was true, FSU gets it, no discussion.

If you don't think FSU is playing better football than UL at this point in the season, it's just your blind homerism.

Reactions: Rollem Cards
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT