ADVERTISEMENT

Orange Bowl Scenarios

MDCardsFan

500+
Sep 21, 2015
Does Louisville need to beat FSU in the ACC Championship Game in order to go to the Orange Bowl and if not, what’s the scenario for us to make it?

I think we do. Otherwise, OB is problematic, though I think if we get some help we could go as ACC runners up if FSU is in the CFP.

So long as FSU is in CFP then we would go to Orange Bowl (only caveat is if somehow NC State bypassed us in CFP rankings). Of course if we beat FSU we will go to Orange Bowl. Very, very likely we are in Orange Bowl.

Knucklehank has it right. If we beat FSU then we are in the Orange Bowl guaranteed. If we lose to FSU, then a couple of scenarios are possible:

First, FSU is selected for the CFP. The next highest ranked ACC team goes to the Orange Bowl. There is very little chance that team would be anyone other than Louisville, because the only other team who would he considered is NC State, who would have a worse record (9-3) and lost to us head-to-head on their home field.

Second, FSU is snubbed by the CFP as an undefeated ACC champion. Extremely unlikely, but if it were to happen, FSU would then go to the Orange Bowl, and UofL would likely be selected for the Pop Tarts Bowl in Orlando.

The only scenario where I could possibly see FSU getting snubbed at 13-0 would possibly be: Washington beats Oregon, Texas beats OKSt, Alabama beats Georgia, and Michigan beats Iowa.

Michigan would almost certainly be a lock as the #1 seed. The committee then has to decide between 13-0 FSU, 13-0 Washington, 12-1 Alabama, 12-1 Texas, and 12-1 Georgia for the last three spots.

Reactions: Mayoman
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT