ADVERTISEMENT

I'll take Mangok over Skal...

zipp

Elite Member
Jun 26, 2001
No points, no rebounds, and five fouls. Not sure Mangok's ever had that bad a stat line.

"Seven feet of suck", to quote one of their great leaders.

"Elite program", my a$$...

I'm a UK fan and there aren't many people I WOULDN'T take over Skal at this point. Hugely disappointing thus far.

I wonder if the talking heads will stop making excuses for him. I watched the UCLA game and all I heard was basically "Even though he didn't do great on that play, he's still good". He would make a hook shot or something and then they would drool all over that. During commentary elsewhere it's the same thing. "He didn't do so great tonight/last night but he is still good".

He's just like any other freshman with potential. No one else gets that treatment. It's only because they want to be right about making him a top recruit and a top draft pick. He isn't first round draft pick good until he shows he is that good.

What will be interesting is how Cal plays him. Without a doubt Lee should be starting over him. This kid was the rivals #1 player, and looks like he doesn't belong in the top 100

Kentucky has already signed next years rentals, if he doesn't improve then he'll be Willis part II. Why would any kid that isn't physically ready for the NBA choose UK?

I'm a UK fan and there aren't many people I WOULDN'T take over Skal at this point. Hugely disappointing thus far.
I thought I heard the announcers at the UCLA game say UK has another 6' 10" guy becoming eligible at the end of this semester.

I thought I heard the announcers at the UCLA game say UK has another 6' 10" guy becoming eligible at the end of this semester.
That's the plan. Tai Wynyard. Australian kid. About 6'9", 240 pounds, I've seen him ranked in the 40–60 range. He's young but some are hoping he'll give us the rebounding presence we need inside. I'm hopeful but skeptical, seeing that he will be starting cold in the middle of the season.

Kentucky has already signed next years rentals, if he doesn't improve then he'll be Willis part II. Why would any kid that isn't physically ready for the NBA choose UK?

They have 3 bigs coming in next year Skal is gone regardless IMO. This year is his chance to show what he can do, or he will be on the bench next season

Good question, ask WillieCS or maybe Lee later.
Remember, WCS did not have another major offer.
After 3 years (major injury included), he is a multi-millionaire, Just saying. He's probably pleased with his lot in life as of today.

Not sure that if I was the freshman, I wouldn't consider quitting the team and sit out the rest of the season waiting on the Draft. He's not playing himself into a higher draft position, and he stands the very real chance of doing the opposite.

The only problem with that plan is squaring it with the pro scouts and managers. Nobody likes a quitter esp. under these circumstances. Maybe need to contrive some sort of disagreement with the coach...

I do expect him to be much better by the end of the season. Even with Davis & Towns, they Head games early in the season that had us thinking "I'm not so sure about this guy". Mind you, I'm pretty sure Skal won't reach the level of either of those guys. But I do think by the time the season is over, he will at least be a decent contributor. We have to remember he set out all of last year with an injury.

Good question, ask WillieCS or maybe Lee later.
Remember, WCS did not have another major offer.
After 3 years (major injury included), he is a multi-millionaire, Just saying. He's probably pleased with his lot in life as of today.

WCS was ranked 40th and had offers from Kansas St. and Florida among others. Lee was the 19th ranked player in his class.

So Skal will come back with Humphries, the new Vunderkind and Willis as the next wave of new names UK fans have to memorize come in and laugh at them for being bench warmers, lol.

Let's call it the way it is. UK has a secure and truly bizarre relationship with the desperate network which owns the SEC and wants to market UK - their flagship - as somehow compelling watching. Most wonder why we would want to watch a highly-publicized conference tour of second rate teams. But ESPN doesn't care - they are committed. The furor of last year's streak, lol - the publicized practices, the unnecessary publicity for - of all people - Calipari, a fundamentally Trump-like and fairly repulsive character to the general public....with a really nasty record to match.

UK risks overexposure and a hard landing in all this automatic relevance jazz. ESPN muddies the ability to actually assess the team's prospects because of the vested interest. In a way, it's kind of hilarious. In another way, it laughs at a sport we all care for. Whether or not this favoritism allowed them to aggravate and widen the censure relating to our scandal, we may never know, but as the entire affair winds down and more comes out, their breathless reportage may get them in as much trouble as they found with Duke or Maryland, including lawsuits. My only question which is shared by others who also think we will never know the answer, is how much influence did UK figures have over any aspect of it. It is not the least bit paranoid to ask, considering the past.

We're used to it, ironically enough. UK fans have been delighting in every Louisville stumble ever since they realized they might have to take us seriously. Meanwhile, they give no credit whatsoever to what we have to overcome on any regular day in dealing with consistently delusional, mean-spirited, semi-illiterate fellow Kentuckians whom we generally completely support with our own large tax base. They relish biting the hand that feeds them, no doubt with some shame attached which they would never admit to.

To me, it's become just another pageant of sports, something less than what it was because of the debasing it suffers made more legal and presentable by a TV or cable interest. Lipstick on the old pig.

Of the two, between Louisville and UK this season, UofL seems much closer to having actual National Championship aspirations in reality. I would be more than willing to discuss why if I thought a UK fan was capable of speaking about anything but themselves.

WCS was ranked 40th and had offers from Kansas St. and Florida among others. Lee was the 19th ranked player in his class.
We may be saying the same thing. In the last 4/5 yrs (Willis & Lee time in cbb), you could hardly consider Fla or Kan St a major contender or even a top 25 rated team. Neither would I consider the 40th or 19th rated player a player physical ready for NBA player or OAD.
From #40 to lottery in 3 yrs not so bad. My take is that Lee's lack of pt has hindered his development, but he has not complained. Would he have done better elsewhere???
Maybe at KU, Duke, UL, UNC, MSU????? Too often, our expectations are based on media ratings.

Let no one kid himself... The only reason Lee and Poythress are playing this year is there's no other option for LPT. All of their other front court players bolted, and the one replacement and subject of this thread looks to be a bust, at least as a freshman.

The last place an overrated freshman needs to be is a sophomore on the LPT basketball team. Not when all of next year's freshmen were promised playing time.

Let no one kid himself... The only reason Lee and Poythress are playing this year is there's no other option for LPT. All of their other front court players bolted, and the one replacement and subject of this thread looks to be a bust, at least as a freshman.

The last place an overrated freshman needs to be is a sophomore on the LPT basketball team. Not when all of next year's freshmen were promised playing time.

Most (or all) coaches play the best players available. Not really an oddity. You will probably see each of those 2 receive more pt and Skal less. Also look for Willis to get more time. You seem to know much more about UK rooster and coming rooster than I or most other UK fans. Would be kind of you to share in more detail.

Question: You being a UL fan, why are more of your posts about UK?. I rarely if ever post about UL (good or bad)

I haven't seen UofK play yet but this kid is a freshman so I really think it's way too early to throw him to the end of the bench. His over the top hype coming out of High School had to have some merit, I think.

We were told how special this young man was and will be. We were all told the feel good story about how he survived hardship only to be rescued by his handler who shopped him around to the highest bidder. Surely Calipari isn't going to destroy this young man's dreams 8 games deep in his freshman season after winning the Skai sweepstakes! Is he? Not even Calipari is that heartless.

The young man will be fine. He'll probably have his breakout game against the Cardinals. After all, that game is Calipari's Super Bowl. Coaching against a true Hall of Fame coach who didn't have to buy the award is always his Super Bowl.

Last edited:
Many UK fans expect Skal to continue to start at least for a while. He was doing well until the defense figure it out. Now, it's up to coaching to redefine his role for effective use. (Maybe use him away from the basket) He has a decent j and a tall release.

As compared to other elite FR's experience, due to his "handlers" Skal Jr & Sr. year in hs was more like a (short) church league schedule. He'has not experience against top hs teams.

As far as Skal's future, many feel that his handlers will push him to pro (somewhere) after this year regardless. (what he needs is weight and an attitude)

P.S. I try to discuss bb on different sites without repeating the negatives I hear or read about the host board I am visiting. It's just seem to me that some boards would not exist if not for posting negatively about other teams or coaches.

As of this posting, there are at least 12 threads with UK in the title or opening remark, ranging from a 65 year old scandal to being critical of (homer) announcers on SEC network during UL vs UK women's game.

In about 2 weeks, one board will be flooded with "I TOLD YOU SO" and the other will argue "you can beat 8 on 5"..........Well, that's just the way it is in today's bb world.

I try not to offend anyone, if I do just say so. I try to be a good guest, if I'm not welcome, just say so.. It won't ruin my life.

Thanks
Poppy

Many UK fans expect Skal to continue to start at least for a while. He was doing well until the defense figure it out. Now, it's up to coaching to redefine his role for effective use. (Maybe use him away from the basket) He has a decent j and a tall release.

As compared to other elite FR's experience, due to his "handlers" Skal Jr & Sr. year in hs was more like a (short) church league schedule. He'has not experience against top hs teams.

As far as Skal's future, many feel that his handlers will push him to pro (somewhere) after this year regardless. (what he needs is weight and an attitude)

P.S. I try to discuss bb on different sites without repeating the negatives I hear or read about the host board I am visiting. It's just seem to me that some boards would not exist if not for posting negatively about other teams or coaches.

As of this posting, there are at least 12 threads with UK in the title or opening remark, ranging from a 65 year old scandal to being critical of (homer) announcers on SEC network during UL vs UK women's game.

In about 2 weeks, one board will be flooded with "I TOLD YOU SO" and the other will argue "you can beat 8 on 5"..........Well, that's just the way it is in today's bb world.

I try not to offend anyone, if I do just say so. I try to be a good guest, if I'm not welcome, just say so.. It won't ruin my life.

Thanks
Poppy
That's fine. I don't really care if I offend anyone including you but to each his own. A message board is no place for thin skin.

Regarding the posts about UofK on this board, it sure looks to me it's in the spirit of the rivalry, but who am I to complain about non UofL related posts on this board? The mods allow it so there is that which also suggests the word RIVALS isn't just a punch line. I would GUESS there are plenty of UofL related topics on UofK's board too but that's all it would be on my part since unlike you, I don't visit a rivals message board, only to complain about what I find while trying to be "civilized" about it. Seems kind of two faced to me so I just try to avoid that scene. I sure hope you understand.

Back on topic, Mathiang was an un-hyped no star athlete who couldn't walk and chew chewing gum at the same time when he first got to UofL. He has grown into a decent ball player who is much better than he used to be and the person who opened THIS thread was simply pointing that out.

Thanks to you too.

Most (or all) coaches play the best players available. Not really an oddity. You will probably see each of those 2 receive more pt and Skal less. Also look for Willis to get more time. You seem to know much more about UK rooster and coming rooster than I or most other UK fans. Would be kind of you to share in more detail.

Question: You being a UL fan, why are more of your posts about UK?. I rarely if ever post about UL (good or bad)
Your attempt at simple naivete won't wash here. Do you actually believe Zipp knows half as much as any UK knows about their own team? Ha ha, man, how typical. Your insincerity might become a recognizable trait, rendering you completely useless, lol. At least, that's the standard course for UK fans here.

Plus your knowledge of roosters is hands down better than his, I wager. The humor writes itself sometimes.

Thanks
Poppy
There is a thread on the UK site which currently boasts over 11,000 comments, seen by more than 600,000 people. I don't believe I have seen anything remotely equivalent in my internet life. Guess who it relates to.

UK fans exist in a reactionary world - shifting the responsibility for their numerous transgressions onto the shoulders of their more literate posters who relish being named message board captains and who perform the necessary triage at chosen sites elsewhere such as Duke, UNC, Kansas or national boards. They are not received well, either, are they?

UK fans love rhetoric. It goes well with an interest in redesigning the past. Counting the numbers of threads here is a long term pastime, supposedly legitimizing your agenda, when, in terms of real numbers of participants, the quality and quantity of hatred in the thread I refer to outdoes anything we could even think of doing here by a factor of roughly 20 times the obsession.

Good luck reinventing the wheel and acting like the sport's ambassadors to a naive God. Nothing, actually, is funnier or more lame and ironic.

...Question: You being a UL fan, why are more of your posts about UK?. I rarely if ever post about UL (good or bad)
It's the same answer I give when an arena fan or anyone else arguing with me gets... With 25 thousand posts, I can cover a lotta ground.

All I need to know is/was that Lee and Poythress were mostly busts themselves until this year. Coincidence?

That's the plan. Tai Wynyard. Australian kid. About 6'9", 240 pounds, I've seen him ranked in the 40–60 range. He's young but some are hoping he'll give us the rebounding presence we need inside. I'm hopeful but skeptical, seeing that he will be starting cold in the middle of the season.

He is actually 260 LBS and has been playing with a pro team team in Austrailia but in an unpaid status. He joins the team on Dec. 18th.

So Skal will come back with Humphries, the new Vunderkind and Willis as the next wave of new names UK fans have to memorize come in and laugh at them for being bench warmers, lol.

Let's call it the way it is. UK has a secure and truly bizarre relationship with the desperate network which owns the SEC and wants to market UK - their flagship - as somehow compelling watching. Most wonder why we would want to watch a highly-publicized conference tour of second rate teams. But ESPN doesn't care - they are committed. The furor of last year's streak, lol - the publicized practices, the unnecessary publicity for - of all people - Calipari, a fundamentally Trump-like and fairly repulsive character to the general public....with a really nasty record to match.

UK risks overexposure and a hard landing in all this automatic relevance jazz. ESPN muddies the ability to actually assess the team's prospects because of the vested interest. In a way, it's kind of hilarious. In another way, it laughs at a sport we all care for. Whether or not this favoritism allowed them to aggravate and widen the censure relating to our scandal, we may never know, but as the entire affair winds down and more comes out, their breathless reportage may get them in as much trouble as they found with Duke or Maryland, including lawsuits. My only question which is shared by others who also think we will never know the answer, is how much influence did UK figures have over any aspect of it. It is not the least bit paranoid to ask, considering the past.

We're used to it, ironically enough. UK fans have been delighting in every Louisville stumble ever since they realized they might have to take us seriously. Meanwhile, they give no credit whatsoever to what we have to overcome on any regular day in dealing with consistently delusional, mean-spirited, semi-illiterate fellow Kentuckians whom we generally completely support with our own large tax base. They relish biting the hand that feeds them, no doubt with some shame attached which they would never admit to.

To me, it's become just another pageant of sports, something less than what it was because of the debasing it suffers made more legal and presentable by a TV or cable interest. Lipstick on the old pig.

Of the two, between Louisville and UK this season, UofL seems much closer to having actual National Championship aspirations in reality. I would be more than willing to discuss why if I thought a UK fan was capable of speaking about anything but themselves.

That is quite a rant. I would be interested in your analysis of UK vs. UL this year. Would it be along the lines of your prediction that Duke would beat UK by 12 or so points this year?

No points, no rebounds, and five fouls. Not sure Mangok's ever had that bad a stat line.

"Seven feet of suck", to quote one of their great leaders.

Kentucky fans hyped him up so much and look where he has landed

Kentucky fans hyped him up so much and look where he has landed
I think you would have at least a little more cache in your posts if UK was not 7 and 1 under Cal vs Pitino. But maybe you can explain how your "Elite program...my ass" comment re UK fits with that record. It could be fun to read.

Last edited:
I think you would have at least a little more cache in your posts if UK was not 7 and 1 under Cal vs Pitino. But maybe you can explain how your "Elite program...my ass" comment fits with that record. it could be fun.

Reading and using rivals is not that hard, I'm not sure why it is difficult for you.

The "Elite program... my ass" comment is the signature in Zipp's signature line, not a part of BBN's response.

You're calling out the wrong poster.

It is a lot of fun watching trolls swing through and fail to keep up with elementary conversations.

Good job!

I think you would have at least a little more cache in your posts if UK was not 7 and 1 under Cal vs Pitino. But maybe you can explain how your "Elite program...my ass" comment fits with that record. it could be fun.
I don't recall myself saying that comment nor do i deny the fact the Cal owns us in basketball. But i do recall Kentucky fans hyping him up all year long

Reading and using rivals is not that hard, I'm not sure why it is difficult for you.

The "Elite program... my ass" comment is the signature in Zipp's signature line, not a part of BBN's response.

It is a lot of fun watching trolls swing through and fail to keep up with elementary conversations.

Good job!
Please don't forget the I HATE part it's the most important ;)

Reactions: Ipartiedwithhopgood

Good job!

Thanks! It is my first day on this site but I would say to you that BBN is actually I HATE BBN isn't it? I took that to mean BBN as you refer to him in that truncated fashion was at least REPEATING that criticism. As far as the Trolls comment this is a RIVALS site and not a protected little Cardinal fans only site. Most fans of both teams actually enjoy a little back and forth but it I scratched your little feathers I apologize. Moreover I am a graduate of UL so I can claim a little leeway can't I?

Your attempt at simple naivete won't wash here. Do you actually believe Zipp knows half as much as any UK knows about their own team?........Well, no I don't, but he thinks he does........ Ha ha, man, how typical. Your insincerity might become a recognizable trait, rendering you completely useless, lol. At least, that's the standard course for UK fans here............. Would you prefer that I talk trash and berate everything UL? I just don't do that, I'm old school and actually pulled for UL in the Crum years.

Plus your knowledge of roosters is hands down better than his, I wager. The humor writes itself sometimes.

My knowledge of UK rooster is better than most UK posters..........
I suppose that I should talk trash and dis everything UL and post under scandal headings to gain respect on this board. When I'm visiting in your house, I try to act as accordingly. I know that ZIPP's zingers are an attempt to bait people and as I replied to him, I don't believe I have read any original material submitted by him.

As I said earlier, If I'm not welcome, just ask me to leave.

It's the same answer I give when an arena fan or anyone else arguing with me gets... With 25 thousand posts, I can cover a lotta ground.

All I need to know is/was that Lee and Poythress were mostly busts themselves until this year. Coincidence?

If you knew anything about them, you would know the answer.
But to humor you, Lee player 2 years behind 5 lottery picks.
Same for Poythress plus missing last year due to injury.
But you already knew that. didn't you?

My knowledge of UK rooster is better than most UK posters..........
I suppose that I should talk trash and dis everything UL and post under scandal headings to gain respect on this board. When I'm visiting in your house, I try to act as accordingly. I know that ZIPP's zingers are an attempt to bait people and as I replied to him, I don't believe I have read any original material submitted by him.

As I said earlier, If I'm not welcome, just ask me to leave.
LEAVE!

That is quite a rant. I would be interested in your analysis of UK vs. UL this year. Would it be along the lines of your prediction that Duke would beat UK by 12 or so points this year?
So far, not one UK poster has addressed our players. Even in a thread dedicated to Mangok, your inability to see past your own navel maintains.....not one comment about one single Louisville player.

This is not hard. Discussing the two teams requires not only an ability to assess their talents, but a little interest as well. No UK fan shows the slightest interest. WTF do you want my analysis when all you use it for is to store it in your massive set of resentments to pull out at some super cool time you saved it for, lol. Selective memory - when someone else owns the space in your brain.

You guys are pitiful. And whoever in God's name you might be are the worst, catwalking over here with some fresh new handle to hide who you are. I can't even understand that logic. I post on your board under my own long time handle, knowing the knives are out with every word I type. Here's a suggestion - simple human manners....if you want to talk about the UK/UofL game, you begin, like people with souls do. You act like I owe you your addiction, simple boy.

Truthfully Mangok has had 21 games, 7 his freshman year and 14 his soph year where he scored Zipp, playing in some games 20 minutes, but often collecting at least 1 rebound or foul. Not something to really brag about.

Why the panic over Skol? He's playing for the greatest coach of all time. The squid takes no talent players and builds them into lottery picks in a single season. Just ask Hawkins and Willis how much he has improved their play. Or the twins. He coached them up really well, didn't he?

The issue is Mangok this season, not last year or the year prior to that. For that matter, he sat on our bench the year we brought home the Championship. He has had a long learning curve but his athleticism has helped him. Right now he is right in the mix and is a total keeper. He continually surprises us all with these new little wrinkles in his offense, but his speed and willingness to run the court he has shown from the very first.

Reactions: zipp and Cue Card
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT