ADVERTISEMENT

I'll take Mangok over Skal...

Why the panic over Skol? He's playing for the greatest coach of all time. The squid takes no talent players and builds them into lottery picks in a single season. Just ask Hawkins and Willis how much he has improved their play. Or the twins. He coached them up really well, didn't he?

Tell me all the players Rick has coached up that are now in the Pro's?

Louisville isn't near as dependent on Mathiangs production as UK is with Skai. I've stated that Kentucky will probably win this game, but I think Louisville is the better team. I'm not talking about NBA potential, I'm talking college basketball.
I definitely won't deny that Louisville is a good team this year. I'm really impressed with Lee and Mitchell. Those two are going to win a lot of games for the Cards this year and they worry me a little bit for our game. I think if the 12/26 game was on a neutral court you guys might take it, UK has some holes to plug in a couple of areas right now, beginning with Skal, but by March I think UK will be one of only a few legit teams that will be capable of winning it all.

You mean because I'm living in the present? And there's no "next year" for Skal except in the NBA?

I already posted normalized stats. If anything, they probably favor Mangok (with no stars).

You're at home with SIX more 5-star kids than U of L has. Even though we have Mangok and not Skal, that still sounds like a pretty significant advantage for the slapd!cks.

"Elite program", my a$$...
Yup and UL has 2 fifth year senior guards, one of which led the NCAA in scoring last year (if I heard that correctly) and your coach is on record as saying that THIS is the best team he has ever coached. That means it's better than the famed 96 Cats and 13 Cards. If that's the case you guys should be able to come into Rupp and roll over a very young Kentucky team that has, as you claim, 2 veterans that have stunk it up for years and now are leaders on this team. I say advantage UL by a mile. Especially since you claim RP is by far the better coach. You guys can't possibly lose this year. It's in the bag. Remember now, no excuses this year.

I went ahead and went back 3+ years.
Kentucky at rupp
62-4
Kentucky in true road games
19-16
I would think that would be very close to the same record for all decent teams don't you? Everybody plays better at home than on the road. So what's your point? Is Louisville better in true road games than they should be? Do they get beat a lot at home?
No and no.

I would think that would be very close to the same record for all decent teams don't you? Everybody plays better at home than on the road. So what's your point? Is Louisville better in true road games than they should be? Do they get beat a lot at home?
No and no.

I was giving you my reason as to why I think Kentucky wins.

I was giving you my reason as to why I think Kentucky wins.
Yeah but you made it seem like UK has a bigger advantage than everyone else does. UK doesn't have a problem winning @UL so why should UL have a problem winning @ Rupp with a more talented team, a more veteran team and a, so called, "better coach"?

...UL has 2 fifth year senior guards, one of which led the NCAA in scoring last year (if I heard that correctly) and your coach is on record as saying that THIS is the best team he has ever coached...
You need to get your hearing checked... Lee was not the top scoring player in the NCAA last year. He was a 3-star kid in 2011 who received offers from Drexel, Hofstra, Northeastern, and St. Bonaventure. Lewis was a 2-star recruit with offers from Cleveland State and other various mid-majors. That's why they play like they value being at Louisville. And Pitino said this was one of his MOST ENJOYABLE teams coaching. I think that includes 7-8 teams he had at LPT.

...That means it's better than the famed 96 Cats and 13 Cards...
Not even close. Yet.

...you guys should be able to come into Rupp and roll over a very young Kentucky team that has, as you claim, 2 veterans that have stunk it up for years and now are leaders on this team. I say advantage UL by a mile...
Can't play that "young" card like Pitino Lite does... If you rely on OAD kids, you're always gonna be young. That's the life you've chosen. But in exchange, you have SIX MORE 5-star kids than U of L does--since Pitino has zero. That's a huge advantage even with a few disappointments. And you're playing in Co-Rupp-t Arena in front of a fans who think they're at the Super Bowl. How can the good guys possibly beat those odds?

...Especially since you claim RP is by far the better coach. You guys can't possibly lose this year. It's in the bag. Remember now, no excuses this year.
No question that Pitino is the better coach. Give him 27 five-star recruits the last six years, and let's see how many titles he would have.

Pitino flat out said this is his most talented team top to bottom that he's ever coached. He also made comment that he had 7-8 pro's on this team.

Pitino flat out said this is his most talented team top to bottom that he's ever coached.
No he didn't lol.

You guys are probably running with some comments that he said about the team from an attitude standpoint. He said all summer that it doesn't mean that it will translate to wins.

That said, I love this team and it may end up being my favorite Pitino team ever.

How many here believe that the 96 KY team would have lost to the MS team that recently beat this UL team? For that matter how many here believe this current UL team would beat the UL team of the 2013 championship run?

Pitino flat out said this is his most talented team top to bottom that he's ever coached. He also made comment that he had 7-8 pro's on this team.
Not that it matters what he SAID, but link a reference to the quote.

Trey Lewis was quoted during the ACC Media days that Rick Pitino has told his team that this 2015 squad is his best team he's coached in his 40 years of coaching. Those are his exact quotes. All you have to do is Google that quote and you will see all kinds of feeds talking about it. Nothing was quoted about it being attitude of the team.

Trey Lewis was quoted during the ACC Media days that Rick Pitino has told his team that this 2015 squad is his best team he's coached in his 40 years of coaching. Those are his exact quotes. All you have to do is Google that quote and you will see all kinds of feeds talking about it. Nothing was quoted about it being attitude of the team.

"I will say this, and it’s been said many times, and our media will find out this, it’s probably the finest collection of people I’ll ever coach. And that’s quite a statement because I’ve coached some outstanding teams with outstanding people. So they’re going to be a great group for you to watch." - Rick Pitino

http://www.wdrb.com/story/30251493/transcript-rick-pitinos-louisville-tip-off-luncheon-speech

This is what Rick means when he says it's the best team he's ever coached.

I'm guessing you're probably getting your quotes from KSR.

Just heard Pitino live on the radio say that this year's U of L team couldn't beat last year's. Maybe THAT team was also his best team in forty years.

:rolleyes:

My experience is that LPT fans have a hard time keeping ish straight.

Reactions: earsky
No he didn't lol.

You guys are probably running with some comments that he said about the team from an attitude standpoint. He said all summer that it doesn't mean that it will translate to wins.

That said, I love this team and it may end up being my favorite Pitino team ever.
Yeah,running like it's a 400 meter relay.

You need to get your hearing checked... Lee was not the top scoring player in the NCAA last year. He was a 3-star kid in 2011 who received offers from Drexel, Hofstra, Northeastern, and St. Bonaventure. Lewis was a 2-star recruit with offers from Cleveland State and other various mid-majors. That's why they play like they value being at Louisville. And Pitino said this was one of his MOST ENJOYABLE teams coaching. I think that includes 7-8 teams he had at LPT.

Not even close. Yet.

Can't play that "young" card like Pitino Lite does... If you rely on OAD kids, you're always gonna be young. That's the life you've chosen. But in exchange, you have SIX MORE 5-star kids than U of L does--since Pitino has zero. That's a huge advantage even with a few disappointments. And you're playing in Co-Rupp-t Arena in front of a fans who think they're at the Super Bowl. How can the good guys possibly beat those odds?

No question that Pitino is the better coach. Give him 27 five-star recruits the last six years, and let's see how many titles he would have.

Here is your link to the Pitino comments:
http://www.allkyhoops.com/2015/10/trey-lewis-says-rick-pitino-tells-cards.html

And here's your link on Lee's scoring stats but excuse me while I correct myself and the color commentator that said he averaged the most points in the NCAA last year. He ranked 4th in the country at 21+ per game but it's not like I was far off and don't give me that crap about being a 3* in 2011, what the heck does that matter? 3+ years of college ball makes you much more than a HS 3* player, he ain't no 3* anymore:
http://www.courier-journal.com/stor...e-to-play-for-Louisville-basketball/26235159/
So, you have a coach that said this is the best team he has coached in 40 years and you have a wing player that had the 4th highest scoring average in all of CBB last year and a host of veterans so you should have no problem winning in Rupp this year.
Also, the numbers say different, please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Calipari owns RP head to head, do you need me to get you a link to that stat? If Pitino is the better coach than explain to me why Calipari has the better head to head record?
And if we gave Pitino 27 one and done kids you can forget about seeing UL in the FF or even the E8, it takes a certain type of coach to manage that style, you actually have to teach kids the game at this level at hyper speed, there's a big difference between HS and college and if Pitino though he could win with One and Done kids he would be doing it so don't act like Cal has it easier. If you think for one second that it is an easy transition from HS to College and it's easy for a coach to get HS kids, regardless of their skill level, to perform at a high level in their first season in college than you really don't know much about the game and you are just baiting. Nothing is easy about CBB as a player or a coach but the jump from HS to College has to bet he toughest part.
Oh yeah, if you want to deny RP said this is the best team he has coached in his 40 years you might want to supply a link that says he denies what Lewis said. If not you have nothing. :) Have a good night Zipp.

Maybe because it has nothing to do with a rivalry record. Sure it's gonna be "fun to read"?

You have it wrong...not elite program...it is THE ELITE PROGRAM OF ALL TIME...no comparisons to be made with the programs

You have it wrong...not elite program...it is THE ELITE PROGRAM OF ALL TIME...no comparisons to be made with the programs
As long as you take ownership for this as well...
  • A one-trick pony for a coach
  • Wasted talent
  • Players first
  • Coaches systematically fired, run off, or leaving for greener pastures
  • Inflated results in a $hit conference where no one gives a damn about basketball
...Just off the top of my head. Doesn't sound too "elite".

Last edited:
"Best" as in most enjoyable, not performance. Like I said, Pitino was heard today saying this year's team wouldn't beat last year's. You want me to link the podcast?

...don't give me that crap about being a 3* in 2011, what the heck does that matter? 3+ years of college ball makes you much more than a HS 3* player, he ain't no 3* anymore...
Lee's nothing but a high scorer from a small, northeastern school. His high school ranking is the only way to make a valid comparison to your guys. And he only cracks the second round on some of the NBA mock drafts. No comparison to the 5-star slapd!cks.

...So, you have a coach that said this is the best team he has coached in 40 years and you have a wing player that had the 4th highest scoring average in all of CBB last year and a host of veterans so you should have no problem winning in Rupp this year...
"Host of veterans"?? You mean two transfer seniors and a junior who doesn't start?

...Also, the numbers say different, please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Calipari owns RP head to head, do you need me to get you a link to that stat? If Pitino is the better coach than explain to me why Calipari has the better head to head record?...
Pitino Lite has had way more talent and a fanbase that treats this game like a Super Bowl. Add that to the fact that it will be played at home this year, and there's no reason to expect anything but an LPT blowout.

...And if we gave Pitino 27 one and done kids you can forget about seeing UL in the FF or even the E8, it takes a certain type of coach to manage that style...
I think Pitino could adapt. You just relax most of your expectations around defense, discipline, team goals, competing for playing time, etc. And you recruit assistants who can do most of the in-game coaching.

Last edited:
This us vs. them as an elite program is arguable when each side cherry picks the underlying bases for their claims. For example, if winning NCs is the criteria then UK fans could argue UL has virtually no chance of ever catching them. If you choose the "modern era" whatever that seems to be, then UL has 3 since 1980 and UK has 3. Even. But UK has 2 2nd Place finishes vs 0 for UL. So if UK is not elite then neither is UL.

Can anyone cite a reliable panel of coaches, sportswriters, etc, that rank teams so we have an independent source of who are the most elite?

Does any of this matter? Isn't it really just the enjoyment of the games for those without ego issues? Of course all os us want our team to win, It is baked in by evolution. Our tribe our team.

...So if UK is not elite then neither is UL...
Most U of L fans--certainly not this one--make no proud claims about elite-ness. That characteristic is pretty much the exclusive domain of one local fanbase.

Nobody's busted. Like I said in my last post, RP waited all this time and never disputed Lewis' claims until now…. After he's seen them play 10 games. Hilarious .
Yeah, you're busted because you've forgotten the point... Whether Pitino ever said it is irrelevant. You used his assessment as a basis for your argument about who should win on the 26th. The argument is TODAY, and he's not saying anything close to that--not that it really matters.

Way too much talent, playing at home, lofty rating... All of that spells doom for the good guys.

Mathiang plays on average 18.9 minutes a game. He is averaging 7.5 ppg, 5.9 rpg, and 1.3 bpg.

Your phenom is playing 21.6 minutes a game. He is averaging 10.6 ppg, 3.5 rpg, and 2.1 bpg.

Overall production might slightly go to the phenom but it's pretty clear he doesn't rebound very well which would indicate he's a bit soft. I'll agree with the OP that Mathiang is the better option of the two simply because he's tougher. Rebounding takes will and determination. Your phenom is more concerned about looking good for the cameras than mixing it up.

hard to really compare the stats when you look at the competition each team has played. This is a better discussion for the end of the year.

Jeff Sagarin ranks LPT's schedule as 197th nationally and U of L's as 315th.

I don't think either school needs to brag about its schedule to this point.

I think you would have at least a little more cache in your posts if UK was not 7 and 1 under Cal vs Pitino. But maybe you can explain how your "Elite program...my ass" comment re UK fits with that record. It could be fun to read.
Try "cachet". LOL, UK fans deliver.

A cache is where you stick weapons. You know, in your case, water pistols.

Reactions: Cue Card
Most (or all) coaches play the best players available. Not really an oddity. You will probably see each of those 2 receive more pt and Skal less. Also look for Willis to get more time. You seem to know much more about UK rooster and coming rooster than I or most other UK fans. Would be kind of you to share in more detail.

Question: You being a UL fan, why are more of your posts about UK?. I rarely if ever post about UL (good or bad)

Irony at its best. Whya re you posting about uk? Are you on a U of L site?

As for most coaches, you are talking about Coach Calipari who has already said he plays players promised over the good of the team. No a good example to bring to the table.

Well, if that's true that's pretty dam exciting, lol. Thanks!! I didn't realize he had said that.

My knowledge of UK rooster is better than most UK posters..........
The uk rooster:
Blue-Langshan-Hen-photo-courtesy-of-Matt-Stillman.jpg

Jeff Sagarin ranks LPT's schedule as 197th nationally and U of L's as 315th.

I don't think either school needs to brag about its schedule to this point.

That was my point.

Yeah, you're busted because you've forgotten the point... Whether Pitino ever said it is irrelevant. You used his assessment as a basis for your argument about who should win on the 26th. The argument is TODAY, and he's not saying anything close to that--not that it really matters.

Way too much talent, playing at home, lofty rating... All of that spells doom for the good guys.

Half the time you're posting about how bad UK is snd how they only win because the refs are crooked but then you post this crap when it fits your agenda.
Never change Zipp, just never change. You make me laugh.

Um, that's quite a difference there, Don't try to compare the 2 schedule ranks. UK's is at least respectable, the 315th ranked SOS is pathetic but at least RP is consistent.
By the end of the season, UofL will have a top 10 SOS and UK's will be mid 30's. Same old song, year after year. That. my logic-avoiding friend, is consistent. Without fan rhetoric and useless ejaculations over dominance over something - anything at all - where the hell would a UK fan like you be?

By the end of the season, UofL will have a top 10 SOS and UK's will be mid 30's. Same old song, year after year. That. my logic-avoiding friend, is consistent. Without fan rhetoric and useless ejaculations over dominance over something - anything at all - where the hell would a UK fan like you be?
Why because UL plays in the 2nd best conference in the country?
There are plenty of stinkers in the ACC, it's got some good teams at the top but UL'S SOS will not get to top ten status from the 300+ level. You're kidding yourself.

Half the time you're posting about how bad UK is snd how they only win because the refs are crooked but then you post this crap when it fits your agenda.
Never change Zipp, just never change. You make me laugh.
Nice try, but not quite...

The "bad" part of LPT is its fans. Life's losers. Slapd!cks. I never, NEVER say anything otherwise.

What I say about LPT players, coaches, etc. typically is that they're all overrated. However, most of that is just to get at slapd!cks. I don't really give a damn about your athletic programs; I just like irritating the hell outta your fanbase.

It can't be debated that LPT basketball has more raw talent. THAT isn't overrated. This year's game is also gonna be played in front of a bunch of Super Bowl slapd!cks. We're the last good team on your schedule for three months.

And the good guys haven't yet beaten anyone. THAT's why the outcome of the game on the 26th is easy to predict.

Glad that makes you laugh.

Irony at its best. Whya re you posting about uk? Are you on a U of L site?

As for most coaches, you are talking about Coach Calipari who has already said he plays players promised over the good of the team. No a good example to bring to the table.
Oh I would love to see a link that proves those comments.

Nice try, but not quite...

The "bad" part of LPT is its fans. Life's losers. Slapd!cks. I never, NEVER say anything otherwise.

What I say about LPT players, coaches, etc. typically is that they're all overrated. However, most of that is just to get at slapd!cks. I don't really give a damn about your athletic programs; I just like irritating the hell outta your fanbase.

It can't be debated that LPT basketball has more raw talent. THAT isn't overrated. This year's game is also gonna be played in front of a bunch of Super Bowl slapd!cks. We're the last good team on your schedule for three months.

And the good guys haven't yet beaten anyone. THAT's why the outcome of the game on the 26th is easy to predict.

Glad that makes you laugh.

I have to admit, the nickname "slapd!ck's is pretty funny.

lol. This guy goes from Pitino "flat out said" to somebody quoted something that Trey Lewis said that Pitino said.

Reactions: shadow force
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT