ADVERTISEMENT

From What I Gathered On Musselman

shadow force

Jun 8, 2010
Did some reading on Eric Musselman. These might be the reasons he hasn't been more seriously considered here but have no idea.

2006 DUI

Current contract has a clause that states that no buyout is mandated if Musselman leaves Arkansas to coach San Diego after April 2024.

From many accounts, he is difficult to work with and not well liked by many. He has erratic behavior under pressure and walks out of press conferences on occasion.

Lost the Arkansas locker room this season

Had a romantic love triangle between 3 players on this year's team.

He is reported to be looking to leave Arkansas, with many Hawg boosters ready to see him go. Maybe a new place would be what he needs to blossom into the best he can be. Maybe he would just be trying to fly from his own issues that he can never escape.

He is reported to be looking to leave Arkansas, with many Hawg boosters ready to see him go. Maybe a new place would be what he needs to blossom into the best he can be. Maybe he would just be trying to fly from his own issues that he can never escape.
What reasons have you heard that they would want him gone after one bad season? He took them to to 2 Elite 8s and a Sweet 16.

Did some reading on Eric Musselman. These might be the reasons he hasn't been more seriously considered here but have no idea.

2006 DUI

Current contract has a clause that states that no buyout is mandated if Musselman leaves Arkansas to coach San Diego after April 2024.

From many accounts, he is difficult to work with and not well liked by many. He has erratic behavior under pressure and walks out of pressure conferences on occasion.

Lost the Arkansas locker room this season

Had a romantic love triangle between 3 players on this year's team.
He’s definitely a hothead. Erratic behavior under pressure describes him pretty well. Not exactly an endearing quality when you absolutely have to get this hire right.

What reasons have you heard that they would want him gone after one bad season? He took them to to 2 Elite 8s and a Sweet 16.
One of my best friends isn AR native and Arkansas grad - and, oddly, at least as big a basketball fans as football. He agrees with the group of Hawg boosters that see Musselman as an odd duck in the Ozarks because they see him as an NBA guy in a large part of his heart. His problems this past season with college age egos and selfishness may mean he is pondering a move back to the Pro game. He seems to be on the edge of just 'losing it.'

In short, Hawg fans are wondering how much Musselman wants to remain there as a college coach.

Reactions: shadow force
He kind of reminds me of when Dana Holgerson was coaching football at WVU. He wanted out of there badly and was viewed by WVU admin as a bit of an untethered boozy, gambling partier.

I understand wanting to make sure you’re hiring someone who is going to be a good rep of the university. But I don’t agree with tossing out candidates because of prior mishaps from 18 years ago and supposed personality. The basketball program is going to be dead as we know it if we’re settling for lesser candidates because they have a “squeaky clean” record. If Musselman is hired, you lecture him on how things are going to go in the athletic department, and then let him go to work on the program.

Reactions: KozmasAgain
I understand wanting to make sure you’re hiring someone who is going to be a good rep of the university. But I don’t agree with tossing out candidates because of prior mishaps from 18 years ago and supposed personality. The basketball program is going to be dead as we know it if we’re settling for lesser candidates because they have a “squeaky clean” record. If Musselman is hired, you lecture him on how things are going to go in the athletic department, and then let him go to work on the program.
I don't necessarily disagree and even said Muss would be our best candidate for a quick turnaround in another thread. He's already shown he can recruit, use NIL, navigate the portal and has 2 Elite 8s and a Sweet 16 out of 5 years at Arkansas.

Even if you get him here for 5 years he could provide stability, some fan buzz, recruit, and WIN. Then UofL would be in a much better position when the next coaching carousel happens.

I would rather have a coach who was here after 4 years had a good season. It is not that attractive that he is having a down season since he’s been there long enough to establish his program.

Reactions: J_Lewis0117
This new era makes it easier to have immediate success but also easier to have a down year.

Cronin, Muss, Tang, and Pitino all had down years and didn't make the tournament.

Why hasn’t Arkansas extended him? His buyout is low, on the surface, he would be a great hire. Almost every coach that was mentioned in this search had gotten an extension. SMU has been mentioned with him as well and still no extension.

That doesn’t mean he wouldn’t be great here but it is a red flag.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT