ADVERTISEMENT

I’m hearing Scotty D as HC and DP as Assoc HC for 5 yrs

"Would I take this job" if I was a good coach elsewhere?... Probably not if I have to sign a contract giving the clown show the option to fire me even if I didn't know what went on with a former player. IOW fire me using the NCAA standard of "should have known". No thanks, that's illogical. And it's why I think Tyra will in the end scare off a good coach who's clean with that kinda contract language. Not to mention, I'd have to work for the clown show! All of that factors into my analysis about retaining Padgett.

Why do you say this part? Your whole stance is making sure people are clean, but basically saying that it's okay "if I didn't know."

Clearly they are going to vet the new coach. If Mack is hired, I'm not going to sit here and worry about anything. Especially when 30 other schools did something. And just because his players name is on there, doesn't mean he was involved or had knowledge. The same can be said probably about the other 90% that were on there.

..."Would I take this job" if I was a good coach elsewhere?... Probably not if I have to sign a contract giving the clown show the option to fire me even if I didn't know what went on with a former player. IOW fire me using the NCAA standard of "should have known". No thanks, that's illogical. And it's why I think Tyra will in the end scare off a good coach who's clean with that kinda contract language. Not to mention, I'd have to work for the clown show! All of that factors into my analysis about retaining Padgett...
Why do you say this part? Your whole stance is making sure people are clean, but basically saying that it's okay "if I didn't know."

Clearly they are going to vet the new coach. If Mack is hired, I'm not going to sit here and worry about anything. Especially when 30 other schools did something. And just because his players name is on there, doesn't mean he was involved or had knowledge. The same can be said probably about the other 90% that were on there.
"Clean" is not knowing. If Tyra's contract gives U of L the option of firing the coach anyway, signing it is a huge risk for that coach.

It wouldn't necessarily matter to me if one or more of Xavier's players were found linked to pay-for-play as long as Mack didn't know. But you and I aren't the only evaluators involved. How's that gonna look to do-gooders on the national stage? And how does that distinguish your new coach from someone like Calipari who also may "not know"? Your new guy's no better than the LPT coach.

You're trying to hire a coach under a huge cloud of controversy in his profession. Those are not normal circumstances. And you've got a greenhorn AD who's supposed to do that job. He's at a big disadvantage even under normal circumstances. You're foolish to simply look past those issues...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT