ADVERTISEMENT

I’m hearing Scotty D as HC and DP as Assoc HC for 5 yrs

davecmc

Two-Star Poster
Sep 12, 2006
This is the second time I’ve heard this conversation with other alumni in the know:

Going to name Scotty Davenport the HC and David Padgett the Associate HC. Make it a 4-5 year deal, then sunset Scotty and elevate DP after he has more recruiting experience and all the FBI bull has cleared. Advantages are: you don’t know who’s clean now anyway in your search if you go for a new HC this year. DP needs a little more seasoning, but he’s close. Scotty would run it gracefully and with class in the down years before the true rebuild happens. Saves some money over the next 5 years.

I’ve heard this twice in the last week. Rumor, or legit?

This is the second time I’ve heard this conversation with other alumni in the know:

Going to name Scotty Davenport the HC and David Padgett the Associate HC. Make it a 4-5 year deal, then sunset Scotty and elevate DP after he has more recruiting experience and all the FBI bull has cleared. Advantages are: you don’t know who’s clean now anyway in your search if you go for a new HC this year. DP needs a little more seasoning, but he’s close. Scotty would run it gracefully and with class in the down years before the true rebuild happens. Saves some money over the next 5 years.

Would have been a great plan....5 months ago. Now?

Not so much.

I'm not buying it as factual, but I would have no problem with that scenario. I've always liked Scotty as a coach, and I think the pair would take us through the dark days as gracefully as possible. Having said all that, I DO still prefer a "name" coach who could minimize the program slippage in terms of recruiting and national profile through this uncertain period.

Davenport would have been perfect this year. I can't see him as the coach who can rebuild the brand and make a big splash with recruits however. If the idea is to de-emphasize sports then this would confirm that plan.

Reactions: genowe and wilkie01
Not gonna happen. Tyra actually wants the job. Just like Crawford said on twitter, a well known coach was willing to come here before the season started...

Last edited:
I actually love this idea and hope it comes true. Scotty has proven his skill as a head coach, and David is going to be an outstanding coach with more experience.

Best option available IMO. The main concern I have is Scotty turning the job down to stay with Bellarmine.

Scotty is all Card and has coached under both Crum and Pitino. He has been successful and he’s as clean as they come. My only concern would be recruiting, but he does that now and has at UofL.

Might be the easy way out but it could work. I really don’t have a real feel what’s going to happen with the FBI investigation. They could hammer us or slap us on the wrist know they may have to hammer other hard if they his us.

So do we gamble with Scotty or gamble with someone we can’t prove is 100% clean? I just don’t know.

I seriously cannot believe that some think that we won't have some good coaches wanting to come here. Settling for the coach of Bellarmine. Don't get me wrong, I like Davenport and wouldve been good for THIS YEAR, just sad to see that we're settling for the COACH OF BELLARMINE for the future of our program. Hilarious!

I seriously cannot believe that some think that we won't have some good coaches wanting to come here. Settling for the coach of Bellarmine. Don't get me wrong, I like Davenport and wouldve been good for THIS YEAR, just sad to see that we're settling for the COACH OF BELLARMINE for the future of our program. Hilarious!
It is strange. Now it is something I would consider if we had brought him in this year as a trial run and he took the team to the Final Four or something but just handing him the job at this point seems ludicrous. I think many of our fans are now so beaten down they have lost all perspective.

Davenport is not settling....hes a legit coach. Id take him in a second. It would be a good, clean face for our program and its needed.

Davenport is not settling....hes a legit coach. Id take him in a second. It would be a good, clean face for our program and its needed.
It’s like Apples to Oranges, both are fruits, but clearly there’s a big difference. DI and DII, both are basketball, but there’s a huge difference in the game and talent. Especially with us being in the ACC.

Scotty should have been hired at the onset but that train has left the station. When this job opens their is not going to be a problem getting a proven D1 coach . Nothing less than Mack(1A),Keats(1B) .

So the idea of 60+ year old D2 coach who hasn't been at the D1 level in nearly 15 years and we keep the coach who just went 19-12 with a top 15 roster in his first year...this the hire that some want to make right now? I get that people like both of these guys in the city of Louisville...but come on people.

This is the splashy, program saving hire for this stage in the program? This is the hire thats going to get the donations flowing and fans back in the seats? An elderly, stop gap coach? I mean this hire might be the most important one ever...its going to impact the next 10 years of Louisville basketball.

Sorry but your info is wrong.

Reactions: REDFISTFURY3

If true I won't even bother to watch on TV let alone renew my tix.

I suggested this 5 months ago and think Scotty would’ve been a great coach this season. In fact I was told he definitely wanted the job and had made plans for his son to take over at BU. All that being said I’ve been told Mack is the guy and that hasn’t changed.

Reactions: HRTheCard
We’re about an arrogant bunch. Almost as bad as the bunch up the road.

Karma’s a bich.

NOBODY knows who can “recruit”’anymore with the FBI watching. I’d venture SD can recruit as well as ANYBODY if all he’s selling is the dream. He’s been doing that for years. A lot more than VT has been ADing come to think of it.

Any “name” we get could very well have as much, or more, baggage as Pitino.

But, I digress. After all, we’ll be fine I’m told.

We’re about an arrogant bunch. Almost as bad as the bunch up the road.

Karma’s a bich.

NOBODY knows who can “recruit”’anymore with the FBI watching. I’d venture SD can recruit as well as ANYBODY if all he’s selling is the dream. He’s been doing that for years. A lot more than VT has been ADing come to think of it.

Any “name” we get could very well have as much, or more, baggage as Pitino.

But, I digress. After all, we’ll be fine I’m told.
As we should be. #1 viewing market, #3 attendance #1 in making money #1 facilities. Tyra's sissy,uk, yes man's azz in on the clock. D2 60 something coach????GMAFB! We deserve a proven D1 coach.

Davenport would have been perfect this year. I can't see him as the coach who can rebuild the brand and make a big splash with recruits however. If the idea is to de-emphasize sports then this would confirm that plan.
"De-emphasize" is too weak of a word. It would kill it !

Last edited:
Reactions: brookstreet
The fact you have to question if they are realistic or not at a program like UofL is absurd.
At one time in the recent past, I would have stood beside you ready to fight anyone who dared disagree.

Now though, after what has happened with strippergate, Pitino and Jurich getting fired, the Govenor stepping in and replacing the BOT with his asshats who seems to be hell bent on destroying UofL sports in general, I am beat down and I am submissive. UofL has been thrown back to the Peck Hickman days when we were a proud up and coming mid major trying to mix it up with the big boys. This year will most likely be one of the better ones over the next decade. I just hope I can live long enough to see the Cardinals fully recover.

Reactions: awf
At one time in the recent past, I would have stood beside you ready to fight anyone who dared disagree.

Now though, after what has happened with strippergate, Pitino and Jurich getting fired, the Govenor stepping in and replacing the BOT with his asshats who seems to be hell bent on destroying UofL sports in general, I am beat down and I am submissive. UofL has been thrown back to the Peck Hickman days when we were a proud up and coming mid major trying to mix it up with the big boys. This year will most likely be one of the better ones over the next decade. I just hope I can live long enough to see the Cardinals fully recover.
Good point. My take is I refuse to support a mid major here. I will let my wallet do my talking.

I am always amazed by how low of an opinion our die hard fans have about our program when we are in a situation like this. We will never get Denny Crum or Rick Pitino or Howard Schnellenberger but we did. Over the years I have heard sportscasters refer to Louisville as one of the blue bloods of college basketball.
Unfortunately some of our fans still think of us as a mid-major back in CUSA or even the MVC. I think we would be able to get a top notch coach if we want. The only thing that concerns me is the people pulling the strings. Since they screwed up the Jurich contract and are going to lose a bunch of money are they going to go for a top notch coach?

I am always amazed by how low of an opinion our die hard fans have about our program when we are in a situation like this. We will never get Denny Crum or Rick Pitino or Howard Schnellenberger but we did. Over the years I have heard sportscasters refer to Louisville as one of the blue bloods of college basketball.
Unfortunately some of our fans still think of us as a mid-major back in CUSA or even the MVC. I think we would be able to get a top notch coach if we want. The only thing that concerns me is the people pulling the strings. Since they screwed up the Jurich contract and are going to lose a bunch of money are they going to go for a top notch coach?
AGREE 100%! A poster on another board said many in our fan base suffer 'Stockholm syndrome' he is right.

Rollem is correct. No one is taking stock of whether any of these coaching candidates are clean. And that's a huge issue in 2018. I wouldn't touch some of these guys that are thought of as great candidates...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT