ADVERTISEMENT

I’m hearing Scotty D as HC and DP as Assoc HC for 5 yrs

I am always amazed by how low of an opinion our die hard fans have about our program when we are in a situation like this. We will never get Denny Crum or Rick Pitino or Howard Schnellenberger but we did. Over the years I have heard sportscasters refer to Louisville as one of the blue bloods of college basketball.
Unfortunately some of our fans still think of us as a mid-major back in CUSA or even the MVC. I think we would be able to get a top notch coach if we want. The only thing that concerns me is the people pulling the strings. Since they screwed up the Jurich contract and are going to lose a bunch of money are they going to go for a top notch coach?
Agree, I think everyone will be pleasantly surprised. I think we land a name coach.

At one time in the recent past, I would have stood beside you ready to fight anyone who dared disagree.

Now though, after what has happened with strippergate, Pitino and Jurich getting fired, the Govenor stepping in and replacing the BOT with his asshats who seems to be hell bent on destroying UofL sports in general, I am beat down and I am submissive. UofL has been thrown back to the Peck Hickman days when we were a proud up and coming mid major trying to mix it up with the big boys. This year will most likely be one of the better ones over the next decade. I just hope I can live long enough to see the Cardinals fully recover.
Cue, no doubt we could be in for some lean years. However, one silver lining is that programs can recover in basketball much quicker than football (see SMU). Hopefully, we’ll land a coach that can make it a quick turnaround. This season has been tough, I thank DP for his effort but it’s time to move on.

I stick with DP over Davenport any and every day of the week. If you can land a bigger name coach then go for it, but replacing DP with Davenport would be retarded.

Our recruiting is going to blow until this shoe thing is settled. Might as well let DP cut his teeth during this time and if he makes a deep run in the NCAA then you get the Brad Stevens effect.

I think we all agree this is clearly typically a destination job for a big name. It was nearly 20 years ago when we landed the biggest name in available coaches after the Denny Crum era, and it is even moreso now as a member of the ACC, and the leader in CBB TV ratings with a huge fan base.

However, these aren't typical times. As Zipp said, you have to stand down on 2018 hires until you see how the FBI scandal shakes out across the landscape. Couple that with the stated "sports de-emphasizing" announced from leadership/budget crunching and I think the rumor has merit.

Rollem is correct. No one is taking stock of whether any of these coaching candidates are clean. And that's a huge issue in 2018. I wouldn't touch some of these guys that are thought of as great candidates...
Well it is one thing to say a coach is dirty based on whether they have been caught or even accused but maybe we can get your expert advice as to how to determine that a coach is dirty when he hasn't been accused or caught doing shady activities. If you can do that, you need to volunteer your services to Tyra.

What’s absurd is you thinking that Mack is walking away from possibly #1 seed in the NCAA and his first Big East regular season championship to coach a team on probation.
Not so sure. If Pitino was willing to leave the Knicks to take over the UK train wreck in 1989, is it that far fetched for Mack to leave a mid major program for one of the top college coaching jobs? The issue for me is do we have an AD and administration that cares about getting a top coach, getting the money together to do it, and the ability to sell it. These guys have a lot to prove. They have proven they can fire people but can they hire people?

The better question is do they want to hire a top notch coach? Getting a top notch coach to coach Louisville would not be a problem so we will find out a lot about the current administration.

What’s absurd is you thinking that Mack is walking away from possibly #1 seed in the NCAA and his first Big East regular season championship to coach a team on probation.

He’s losing his 3 best players after this season. Now’s the perfect time to jump

That’s exactly the time that you move to a bigger, better job - when you’re at your most marketable.

What’s absurd is that you think that Xavier is somehow a better long term fit than Louisville.

Reactions: HRTheCard
Here’s a question that hasn’t been (to my knowledge) asked and I think throws a monkey wrench into the OP’s premise.

Why would anyone think that Padgett would be ok with / stick around for that scenario? I mean maybe last summer but, after he’s been the HC this year?

It’s ridiculous.

Reactions: clearthebases
That’s exactly the time that you move to a bigger, better job - when you’re at your most marketable.

What’s absurd is that you think that Xavier is somehow a better long term fit than Louisville.
Maybe not but Xavier is not a mid major anymore or at least they are playing in a basketball power conference now with one team coming off a NC. He appears to be recruiting very well at Xavier and assuming we don’t have the money to throw around like we used to, who’s to say that Xavier can’t match an offer.

Who specifically wouldn't you touch ?
Here are my red flag parameters...
  • Anyone who's signed a 5-star kid in the last ten years
  • Anyone whose recruiting has improved recently (last 3-4 years)
  • Anyone whose recruiting is falling off in 2018
  • Anyone at a school whose recruiting improved significantly when that coach signed
  • Anyone under 40 years old and currently making under $1.5 million annually at a P5 school
Off the top of my head, any of those would give me reason to investigate the coach further. More than one would cause me greater concern. If you think there aren't many coaches who would satisfy all of these, you're right. It's a small pool, and there aren't any sharks in it...

• Anyone at a school whose recruiting improved significantly when that coach signed
  • Anyone under 40 years old and currently making under $1.5 million annually at a P5 school
Off the top of my head, any of those would give me reason to investigate the coach further. More than one would cause me greater concern. If you think there aren't many coaches who would satisfy all of these, you're right. It's a small pool, and there aren't any sharks in it...

This isn't a big deal. The contract will have something that discusses if anything ever comes about, they will be fired or some type of clause. Idk how you can say "Anyone at a school whose recruiting improved significantly when that coach signed." There can be more reasons for that other than money, aka, the COACH. "Anyone who's signed a 5-star kid in the last ten years." Not everyone is getting paid.

All of your points are pure speculation, which goes back to my point that there will be a clause in the contract. This is not as big of a deal as you're making it out to be. The NCAA has already shown and said pretty much that no school is going to get punished. If true that it comes to be where there are a ton of schools involved, which came to fruition a little bit a few weeks ago, then there's literally no point in worrying about it or saying those are red flags.

Sure we want a clean program, but that's not something you have to worry about as much when it comes down to everyone being involved. Especially with there most likely being changes to the rules and regulations in the future.

Reactions: Kentucky31
Under the current situation it would be hard for me to believe that a 5 star kid is not being paid. The way they are networking kids, parents and shoe companies if you are not being paid you're probably considered a fool.

Under the current situation it would be hard for me to believe that a 5 star kid is not being paid. The way they are networking kids, parents and shoe companies if you are not being paid you're probably considered a fool.

Then I can't wait to vacate every single game that King and Williams have played in.

Would you be on board with a Davenport hire?

So put in a clause in the contract that is retroactive to past, alleged, or pending FBI/NCAA violations, and go get someone else if that plays out. Otherwise, you get the biggest fish you can and don't look back!

Reactions: Chapman123
So put in a clause in the contract that is retroactive to past, alleged, or pending FBI/NCAA violations, and go get someone else if that plays out. Otherwise, you get the biggest fish you can and don't look back!
Yes, anything can be remedied with the right wording in the contract.

I guess you can find a service that will rank them a 5* if you look hard enough.

I mean it took me 2 seconds. The same amount of time it takes you to hit the quote button. Whether you like it or not, VJ King was a 5* McDonald's All-American. Sheesh this board hates the truth.

So matter of fact....cause we all know, you are doing the hiring.

A 60+ year old coach who just signed an agreement to Bellarmine that sets him up for retirement soon plans to take a 10 year job at UofL. No. He's not going to be hired. This rumor is bogus.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kentucky31
HRTheCard, I you are right and I have all the respect in the world for coach Davenport but I think it would be a temporary fix. I think the rumor was floated to test opinions of the idea.

So, in the next 30 days, what good coach ready for U of L to hire is gonna find out what's in the FBI evidence? Who's gonna sign a contract that U of L can get out of for free even if he didn't know anything? Why would anyone in a secure contract elsewhere agree to that?

That type of contract only protects U of L. It offers no protection for the coach. Nor does it address the national fallout if U of L is AGAIN connected to a coach that cheats. It's just something Tyra thought up--I'm not sure current contracts don't offer the same protection--and as usual, it's inadequate.

(And under the circumstances, I'm OK with Davenport although I wasn't originally when Pitino was fired...)

Beginnings_zpspill7bd2.jpg

So, in the next 30 days, what good coach ready for U of L to hire is gonna find out what's in the FBI evidence? Who's gonna sign a contract that U of L can get out of for free even if he didn't know anything? Why would anyone in a secure contract elsewhere agree to that?

That type of contract only protects U of L. It offers no protection for the coach. Nor does it address the national fallout if U of L is AGAIN connected to a coach that cheats. It's just something Tyra thought up--I'm not sure current contracts don't offer the same protection--and as usual, it's inadequate.

(And under the circumstances, I'm OK with Davenport although I wasn't originally when Pitino was fired...)

Beginnings_zpspill7bd2.jpg
We’ll get a great coach. We will not settle for Scotty. It will work out.

Reactions: HRTheCard
I don't worry about anything except what people define as "great"...

parade%20of%20fools_zpskpipxzq5.jpg

You tell me what AD would be able to pull Wright or Donovan away from their home BESIDES Jurich. IF there are any, it's maybe 1-2 people. That's why a reasonable, yet great coach for the next 15-20 years is Mack. He's still a young up and comer and has proved himself worthy of a job like Louisville.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT