ADVERTISEMENT

I’m hearing Scotty D as HC and DP as Assoc HC for 5 yrs

You tell me what AD would be able to pull Wright or Donovan away from their home BESIDES Jurich. IF there are any, it's maybe 1-2 people. That's why a reasonable, yet great coach for the next 15-20 years is Mack. He's still a young up and comer and has proved himself worthy of a job like Louisville.
Well, the clown show has said they're not compromising on coaches, and that money is not an issue. I don't know any better way for them to prove themselves than landing a big time basketball coach. They at least need to TRY for that kind of coach.

Mack is not a big name outside the college basketball community. Jurich referred to Pitino as "Elvis". That's someone who brings in people to see him as much as the product he puts on the floor. This program will see major attrition in season ticket holders next year. And the recruits and wins will return slowly. Even if he's clean, Mack ain't gonna move the needle with most season ticket holders.

Jay Wright is a risk from the pay-for-play angle. Billy D is the guy IMO that Tyra needs to go all in to pursue. Bennett at Virginia is also probably clean. Those are names who will bring back fans...

Idk if I can forgive Tony Bennett for what he’s done to us the last 4 years...

Idk if I can forgive Tony Bennett for what he’s done to us the last 4 years...
Bennett didn't do anything last Thursday but accept a humongous gift. Blaming anyone besides our own guys for that debacle is looking for a scapegoat...

Reactions: Rollem Cards
Donovan would be the home run hire but I dont think he would come here after the way the current admin treated his mentor.

Let DP have 3yrs at least and see how he does. It would be a shame to lose him and then he turns out to be a great coach. As I said before, our recruiting is going to blow the next few years anyway, so we really have nothing to lose with DP.

Reactions: Cue Card
Bennett didn't do anything last Thursday but accept a humongous gift. Blaming anyone besides our own guys for that debacle is looking for a scapegoat...
Yeah I’m just not a big UVA guy. They are my least favorite ACC opponent. Beautiful campus, but their teams always frustrate me to no end.

Well, the clown show has said they're not compromising on coaches, and that money is not an issue. I don't know any better way for them to prove themselves than landing a big time basketball coach. They at least need to TRY for that kind of coach.

Mack is not a big name outside the college basketball community. Jurich referred to Pitino as "Elvis". That's someone who brings in people to see him as much as the product he puts on the floor. This program will see major attrition in season ticket holders next year. And the recruits and wins will return slowly. Even if he's clean, Mack ain't gonna move the needle with most season ticket holders.

Jay Wright is a risk from the pay-for-play angle. Billy D is the guy IMO that Tyra needs to go all in to pursue. Bennett at Virginia is also probably clean. Those are names who will bring back fans...

People will buy into Mack. They know who he is. Tyra said today he "wants to bring closure" before April 11th (late signing period). Seems to me like he has his guy in his mind.

The problem with Bennett is he does great during the regular season, teams he is familiar with. When he gets in the tournament and has to prepare for teams he's not familiar with he flames out. That has to be frustrating for his fan base.

Reactions: Rollem Cards
Donovan would be the home run hire but I dont think he would come here after the way the current admin treated his mentor.

Let DP have 3yrs at least and see how he does. It would be a shame to lose him and then he turns out to be a great coach. As I said before, our recruiting is going to blow the next few years anyway, so we really have nothing to lose with DP.
You’ve gotta at least make Donovan turn you down. Of course, that predisposes that the offer would be in the 5-8 year at 6M per - all guaranteed.

They get that done and I guarantee the fan base stops thinking about the last 2 years.

No to Bennett
No to Padgett

I would love to get Billy D but that ain't happening.

Make Jay Wright say No...then hire Chris Mack.

Chris Mack may not be a "name" that everyone is familiar with outside of college athletics but I think it would generate positive buzz for the program and limit attendance decline as well as give UL a little recruiting help during this down time.

Bringing Padgett back would be a disaster and only further kill attendance numbers and any level of "hope" or excitement that a new coach might generate. DP would basically have to prove people wrong right out of the gate or lose the fan base. If you bring DP back and he goes 18-12 or whatever next year and misses the dance again, then how bad is it going to be the next year? How does he recruit? At least with Mack or another coach you have some history and recruiting cache'....

No to Bennett
No to Padgett

I would love to get Billy D but that ain't happening.

Make Jay Wright say No...then hire Chris Mack.

Chris Mack may not be a "name" that everyone is familiar with outside of college athletics but I think it would generate positive buzz for the program and limit attendance decline as well as give UL a little recruiting help during this down time.

Bringing Padgett back would be a disaster and only further kill attendance numbers and any level of "hope" or excitement that a new coach might generate. DP would basically have to prove people wrong right out of the gate or lose the fan base. If you bring DP back and he goes 18-12 or whatever next year and misses the dance again, then how bad is it going to be the next year? How does he recruit? At least with Mack or another coach you have some history and recruiting cache'....
Please explain how Donovan is out of our reach but Wright is not?

Bennett is never coming - he’s not going to switch jobs within the ACC. I wouldn’t want him from a playing style either but, he might still be preferable to Mack.

Reactions: zipp
Please explain how Donovan is out of our reach but Wright is not?

Bennett is never coming - he’s not going to switch jobs within the ACC. I wouldn’t want him from a playing style either but, he might still be preferable to Mack.

I don't want Bennett either.

I don't think Jay Wright will come either, I just think you have to ask him. I mean you can ask Billy D too but I'd bet he isn't leaving an NBA job like OKC to come to Louisville and rebuild a program surrounded by a cloud of NCAA stink.

If the money is there Donovan might want to leave OKC so he could spend more time with his family.

I don't want Bennett either.

I don't think Jay Wright will come either, I just think you have to ask him. I mean you can ask Billy D too but I'd bet he isn't leaving an NBA job like OKC to come to Louisville and rebuild a program surrounded by a cloud of NCAA stink.
Wright is not getting fired - Donovan is. Wright seems like a guy that would take less to stay at Nova - Donovan I think would take the increase and the guarantee. Plus - I don’t think Donovan loves the pros - I think he just was tired of playing second fiddle and not selling out a 14K arena after 2 NCs.

Wright is not getting fired - Donovan is. Wright seems like a guy that would take less to stay at Nova - Donovan I think would take the increase and the guarantee. Plus - I don’t think Donovan loves the pros - I think he just was tired of playing second fiddle and not selling out a 14K arena after 2 NCs.

If Billy D is fired...sure, you 1,000% have to go after him with an open checkbook. I think you still ask him even if he isn't fired. My stance was that Billy D likely isn't going to be fired and probably won't leave OKC to coach UL.

I fully hope I'm wrong. Billy D is the absolutely best, homerun, grandslam, touchdown, absolute epic of all best case scenario hires that UL could make. I'm just skeptical it will happen.

Bennett at Virginia is also probably clean.

Since he recruits nearly all 3 star players, I would say almost certainly clean. The risky ones are the coaches who sign the elite 5* guys. Ain't nobody got time for paying 3 stars any cash.

aint-nobody-got-time-fo-that-pay-a-3-star-recruit-aint-nobody-got-time-fo-dat

Why isn't anyone talking about Eric Musselman? Talk about a fiery, charismatic guy who has turned a non-traditional program around in a short time.

I think just because its not a very "fun" option. He's been a coach for 3 years and done well at Nevada and he might be a great hire for Louisville but he's not going to move the needle in the slightest. If we strike out with Mack and Billy D then I would have no problem with giving him a call.

Reactions: shadow force
I'm still curious as to why no one mentions Bobby Hurley. Hes done a helluva job at Arizona State. He has the name and the pedigree.

I'm still curious as to why no one mentions Bobby Hurley. Hes done a helluva job at Arizona State. He has the name and the pedigree.
Because as soon as coach K retires, he would run back to Cameron Indoor Stadium on all fours. Hurley will be the next full time coach at Duke IMO.

Several have mentioned Hurley, but it’s my opinion that he will stay at ASU until Coach K retires and then return home to Duke.

I watched an interview with Coach K and that asked him if he getting close to retire because he is in his 70's. He said he wasn't even thinking about retiring at this time.

And everyone said Crum would run back to UCLA when Wooden retired. Maybe Hurley would run back to Duke. I still think he would be a good one to lead the program through troubled waters for the next few years.

So, in the next 30 days, what good coach ready for U of L to hire is gonna find out what's in the FBI evidence? Who's gonna sign a contract that U of L can get out of for free even if he didn't know anything? Why would anyone in a secure contract elsewhere agree to that?

That type of contract only protects U of L. It offers no protection for the coach. Nor does it address the national fallout if U of L is AGAIN connected to a coach that cheats. It's just something Tyra thought up--I'm not sure current contracts don't offer the same protection--and as usual, it's inadequate.

(And under the circumstances, I'm OK with Davenport although I wasn't originally when Pitino was fired...)

Beginnings_zpspill7bd2.jpg
Then that potential coach can say thanks but no thanks, and we can all read the issues between the lines. You don't go about this timidly. Make the offers, use protective wording for UofL, and lets the chips fall where they may.

If Billy D is fired...sure, you 1,000% have to go after him with an open checkbook. I think you still ask him even if he isn't fired. My stance was that Billy D likely isn't going to be fired and probably won't leave OKC to coach UL.

I fully hope I'm wrong. Billy D is the absolutely best, homerun, grandslam, touchdown, absolute epic of all best case scenario hires that UL could make. I'm just skeptical it will happen.
I’m not suggesting that he is going to be fired this year - though it certainly could happen. I’m saying that his job security at OKC is about 5% of what Wright’s Is at Nova. If Billy D took an offer here - barring rules violations - his job security increases about 90%.

That’s an attractive option I’d say.

Fred Hoiberg is getting fired too. He’s in my top three, I’d take him today if he’d come.

Reactions: CGblue and Cue Card
Fred Hoiberg is getting fired too. He’s in my top three, I’d take him today if he’d come.
IDK if it's true or not, but Google is saying Hoiberg is making 1.6 million a year in Chicago. If that's true, then he is a viable option because the Cards can beat that offer and the guy is just 45 years old.

A home run hire is a coach no one thinks you can get easily. Too many of the guys I'm reading in this thread do not fit that mold. And these clowns need to deliver that...

parade%20of%20fools_zpskpipxzq5.jpg

I have this mental image of Papa drunk, being held up by those two younger guys in Louisville gear, interviewing potential coaches. Makes me belly laugh every time I think of it.

My guess is The Papa probably stays a little hammered nowadays for different reasons. However, I'm sure we're still benefiting from his great leadership and management skills...

Reactions: vivid_red
IDK if it's true or not, but Google is saying Hoiberg is making 1.6 million a year in Chicago. If that's true, then he is a viable option because the Cards can beat that offer and the guy is just 45 years old.
Hoiberg would be a home run hire IMO.

Reactions: CGblue
He would likely be a SAFE hire. No chance in hell a guy named "Fred" is a home run hire when most people don't have a clue who he is...

I agree with you here. Most people don't have a clue who he is.

College basketball people know who he is and how good his ISU teams were when he coached there. Just winning there is tantamount to a minor miracle. And what have you got against the name 'Fred'? :oops::rolleyes:;)

Not taking sides here.....but very few coaches that will seriously consider coming into the current climate at UofL will be a big home run hire.o_O

I would not do it without a great deal of money being involved.....Pitino, Calipari type of money. Would you?:rolleyes::oops:;)

I agree with you here. Most people don't have a clue who he is.

College basketball people know who he is and how good his ISU teams were when he coached there. Just winning there is tantamount to a minor miracle. And what have you got against the name 'Fred'? :oops::rolleyes:;)

Not taking sides here.....but very few coaches that will seriously consider coming into the current climate at UofL will be a big home run hire.o_O

I would not do it without a great deal of money being involved.....Pitino, Calipari type of money. Would you?
:rolleyes::oops:;)
I'm not dissing anyone named 'Fred'. Some of my favorite people have that name...

giphy.gif

My intention is to not reduce my standards for U of L athletics simply because of what's likely or pragmatic. That isn't the way this program has been managed for two decades. Jurich didn't settle for second best, and we've been told the clown show won't either. So fans shouldn't reduce their expectations...

I'm not dissing anyone named 'Fred'. Some of my favorite people have that name...

giphy.gif

My intention is to not reduce my standards for U of L athletics simply because of what's likely or pragmatic. That isn't the way this program has been managed for two decades. Jurich didn't settle for second best, and we've been told the clown show won't either. So fans shouldn't reduce their expectations...

Is this a contradiction for you? How do you explain hiring Kragthorpe?

And correct me if I am wrong.....but you seem to be favoring Padgett to be hired full time now too. Do you really believe that is who Jurich (if he was still AD here) would hire as FT MBB Coach? Really?

Seems you are clamoring for reduced expectations if you are pushing for CDP to get the gig....or am I taking you too serious based on comments you have made in other threads?

And lastly, would you take the job here if fn you were a high profile MBB Coach (2nd time asked)?

Is this a contradiction for you? How do you explain hiring Kragthorpe?

And correct me if I am wrong.....but you seem to be favoring Padgett to be hired full time now too. Do you really believe that is who Jurich (if he was still AD here) would hire as FT MBB Coach? Really?

Seems you are clamoring for reduced expectations if you are pushing for CDP to get the gig....or am I taking you too serious based on comments you have made in other threads?

And lastly, would you take the job here if fn you were a high profile MBB Coach (2nd time asked)?
Those are good questions, and no, I don't believe I'm being hypocritical...

The standards for a "home run hire" in basketball are not the same as football. Jurich wasn't gonna lose Petrino and bring in Nick Saban. There's ambitious, and then there's crazy. K-rag in 2007 was the football equivalent of Chris Mack in 2018, or so everyone thought. When we lose Petrino again--and unless he's won a couple of national championships before he goes--the 2020s version of K-rag would hopefully be our next hire. And maybe this time with a lot more success.

Overlay that BTW with all of this FBI uncertainty. Had K-rag been linked to Tulsa kids getting improper benefits as Mack has, we wouldn't have had the "K-rag years" in all likelihood. And Jurich may have had to reduce his sights in 2007 to be safe.

I have little doubt that Jurich would be pursuing the next basketball rock star if he was still AD. Supposedly, the AD we have now is no step back. So let him prove it, or at least try to...That's all I'm saying.

And IF by some quirk we had Padgett as interim basketball coach with Jurich as AD, I'm sure Jurich would have the guts to do what he thinks is right and not try to placate fans or risk further damage to the U of L brand. And he would know the consequences of guessing wrong. Jurich earned the privilege of making those kinds of decisions without being second-guessed, and based on nothing more than his track record. The so-called "AD" we have now has no track record.

"Would I take this job" if I was a good coach elsewhere?... Probably not if I have to sign a contract giving the clown show the option to fire me even if I didn't know what went on with a former player. IOW fire me using the NCAA standard of "should have known". No thanks, that's illogical. And it's why I think Tyra will in the end scare off a good coach who's clean with that kinda contract language. Not to mention, I'd have to work for the clown show! All of that factors into my analysis about retaining Padgett.

Not sure how well I've explained my POV. I assure you I have no intention of making life easy for anyone in U of L athletics. We had the gold standard, and silver or bronze doesn't have quite the sparkle...

Reactions: Mayoman
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT