ADVERTISEMENT

Federal Corruption Charges for 10 in College Basketball

At this time, it appears that Adidas is the shoe company involved.
I have a BAD feeling about this.

Press Conference Advisory

There will be a press conference today at noon to announce charges of fraud and corruption in college basketball. Federal criminal charges have been brought against ten people, including four college basketball coaches, as well as managers, financial advisors, and representatives of a major international sportswear company. The press conference will be livestreamed on Facebook @USAOSDNY.

https://www.justice.gov/usao-sdny/pr/press-conference-advisory-2

Somewhere WWW is really nervous today!!!

Reactions: amosmouzon
DKp7yK6U8AADuRX.jpg
I am not a lawyer, but it seems to me the certification is false whether the coach knew about the payment or not. If there is no proof the coach knew about the payment then you would think the school would not be punished by the NCAA, especially since the player will have never played a game at the school.

What the sam hell are any of you talking about???? THIS is all I see regarding this story and I don't see where UofL is mentioned in any way, shape, or form. What am I missing?

NEW YORK -- Federal prosecutors have announced charges of fraud and corruption against 10 people involved in college basketball, including assistant coaches at Arizona, Auburn, Oklahoma State and USC.

The coaches named in court documents are Auburn's Chuck Person, Oklahoma State's Lamont Evans, Arizona's Emanuel "Book" Richardson and USC's Tony Bland. It was not immediately clear who would represent them at initial court appearances.

Other people charged in Manhattan federal court included managers, financial advisers and representatives of a major international sportswear company. The details were to be discussed at a news conference Tuesday at noon ET.

Other people named in the documents include James Gatto, director of global sports marketing at Adidas; Merl Code, who recently left Nike for Adidas; Christian Dawkins, an NBA agent who was fired in May from ASM Sports for charging approximately $42,000 in Uber charges on a player's credit card; Jonathan Brad Augustine, president of The League Initiative and program director of the Adidas-sponsored 1 Family AAU program; Munish Sood, a financial adviser; and Rashan Michel, a former NBA official who founded Thompson Bespoke Clothing, a custom clothier for athletes.

Since 2015, the FBI has been investigating the criminal influence of money on coaches and student-athletes in the NCAA, federal authorities said.

They said the probe has revealed numerous instances in which bribes were paid by athlete advisers, such as financial advisers and associate coaches, to other coaches to exert influence over student-athletes so the athletes would use the services of those paying the bribes.

In criminal complaints, investigators said coaches can provide access for the student-athletes to sports agents, financial advisers, business managers and others.

"Moreover, many such coaches have enormous influence over the student-athletes who play for them, in particular with respect to guiding those student-athletes through the process of selecting agents and other advisers when they prepare to leave college and enter the NBA," the complaints said.

"The investigation has revealed several instances in which coaches have exercised that influence by steering players and their families to retain particular advisers, not because of the merits of those advisers, but because the coaches were being bribed by the advisers to do so," the papers said.

Court documents state that Gatto, Code, Dawkins, Augustine and Sood allegedly made bribes to high school student-athletes and/or their families so that the recruits would play at two universities that are not explicitly named in the document.

Documents also state that Michel offered Person $50,000 in bribe payments "in exchange for using his official position at University-1 to steer student-athletes on University-1's NCAA Division I men's basketball team to retain the services of CW-1 and Michel."

According to court documents, Evans, Richardson and Bland all allegedly received benefits from Dawkins and Sood to influence student-athletes to use their services.

In a statement Tuesday, Adidas said it was unaware whether Gatto was allegedly arranging to pay high school players. "Today, we became aware that federal investigators arrested an adidas employee," the company said. "We are learning more about the situation. We're unaware of any misconduct and will fully cooperate with authorities to understand more."

Information from ESPN's Jeff Borzello and The Associated Press was used in this report.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...asketball-coaches-10-charged-fraud-corruption

This (if it turns to to be true), combined with the Powell ordeal, and I almost don't even care anymore. As sad for me to say.

I've been focusing my attention to the MLB as of late.

1) None of this is surprising

2) Reading the indictment and the number of people, institutions, businesses involved, I think this could go down as the largest college sports scandal since the point shaving scandals in 1940s.

3) This will expose the sordid underbelly of NCAA basketball and cause major changes

4) NBA's age requirement only made issues bigger

5) Rick Pitino and Tom Jurich will be fired

6) UofL hoops will not look the same for many years

Reactions: irishcat1965
I was blasted when I said Rick should resign following the Powell-scandal. I will once again go on record as saying he should resign.

The next few years of UofL hoops are going to be extremely trying. I think the next coach is going to require impeccable values and a lot of enthusiasm to help elevate the pall over the program and someone highly respected in the field. It needs to be someone who can come in knowing that winning will be tough and that their job is to navigate these tough waters and less focused on wins and losses.

The one person I can think of that fits this bill is --- Scotty Davenport.

Reactions: wilkie01
Serious bitter pill to swallow if true and the updated story on ESPN is now mentioning UofL. This is a sad cold dark day. IF this is indeed true then everyone involved with the UofL basketball program including Tom Jurich needs to be fired immediately.

The End.

"But everyone else does it to" is not a very good defense.
Especially
I was blasted when I said Rick should resign following the Powell-scandal. I will once again go on record as saying he should resign.

The next few years of UofL hoops are going to be extremely trying. I think the next coach is going to require impeccable values and a lot of enthusiasm to help elevate the pall over the program and someone highly respected in the field. It needs to be someone who can come in knowing that winning will be tough and that their job is to navigate these tough waters and less focused on wins and losses.

I was too...and I stand by it. Jurich and Pitino need to be gone, now! This is getting embarrassing. I wont even let my 5 year old wear UofL shirts at this point.

If they have a UofL coach on tape as participating in / soliciting bribes for a recruit - why wasn't that coach named in the indictment and, arrested?

Reactions: HRTheCard
Especially

I was too...and I stand by it. Jurich and Pitino need to be gone, now! This is getting embarrassing. I wont even let my 5 year old wear UofL shirts at this point.
You do realize that there is more the university than the sports programs - don't you? Certainly more than the basketball program. If you're changing your kid's attire - then my guess is that you don't.

If they have a UofL coach on tape as participating in / soliciting bribes for a recruit - why wasn't that coach named in the indictment and, arrested?

Because that coach didn't actually touch the money nor did he accept a bribe. The ones arrested this morning accepted bribes. Also, investigation is ongoing. I hope it blows up college basketball.

If this is true and Louisville is part of it, I may have to turn in my fan card for this program. This IS GETTING FU&*ING RIDICULOUS. Its almost becoming a joke.....are we being pranked?

Oh, NOW you're turning it in??

Press conference has come and gone and they never mentioned UofL. I'm not saying we are innocent...but this is frustrating, I just want to know if we are involved or not. Looks like this is going to drag out for a while.

Because that coach didn't actually touch the money nor did he accept a bribe. The ones arrested this morning accepted bribes. Also, investigation is ongoing. I hope it blows up college basketball.
Makes no sense to me but we do agree on one thing. I too hope this blows the lid off college basketball. The sleazy world of sports in general is making me feel dirty for being a fan. Period. I'm old and I'm tired. This might just be enough to push me away from sports altogether. Time for the rocking chair.

Press conference has come and gone and they never mentioned UofL. I'm not saying we are innocent...but this is frustrating, I just want to know if we are involved or not. Looks like this is going to drag out for a while.

Weren't mentioned because as of now no one from UofL broke federal law. However it appears that we broke the hell out of NCAA rules

Reactions: tluck28
What people dont realize is that was an FBI PRESS CONFERENCE......there are a lot of people involved in this and some may not have broken the "law" officially but they have broken the NCAA rules. That is my understanding. ESPN is mentioning UofL

So then, it is analogous to someone being told of an impending bank robbery by those individuals intent on robbing the bank. I’m pretty sure that falls under the definition of conspiracy and would get that person arrested as well.

So then, it is analogous to someone being told of an impending bank robbery by those individuals intent on robbing the bank. I’m pretty sure that falls under the definition of conspiracy and would get that person arrested as well.
I think it's important to note the Feds said the investigation is still on going with interviews and reviewing evidence, so there may be a lot more schools and coaches named later on.

Reactions: deheremike

Hell, he should have been fired for banging the ho in a public restaurant!

I think it's important to note the Feds said the investigation is still on going with interviews and reviewing evidence, so there may be a lot more schools and coaches named later on.
When do they ever say an investigation is concluded? This type of corruption obviously doesn’t only exist at a handful of schools - I’m going into full-on hate mode and will hope for this to involve every school that ever spit on the sidewalk.

They can continue their investigation in lexington - should keep them busy for years...

Facilitating the movement of money to a recruit is money laundering. Knowing that same recruit got adidas money and then signing some type of certification to the school is not a federal crime. The way the indictment reads no one at UofL is accused of violating federal law. For that reason the school and coach was not named in the indictment. That is common practice. However, if the assistant coach mentioned in the indictment knew Bowen got money that is a major NCAA violation.

Another concern is how long has this been going on at adidas? If any other Louisville player got adidas money or was funneled to a financial advisor/agent that player received impermissible benefits. We all know what happens to games where a player who got impermissible benefits played.

Did hear one report that one of the indicted adidas executives just moved there from Nike. Let's hope he cuts a deal to talk about that company's practices.

Reactions: BPGhost
If this is true, I AM SO DONE WITH THIS SLEEZY BASKETBALL PROGRAM. I want Rick Pitino GONE!!!!! From Fraud and corruption, to hookers on campus performing for recruits and players. To Rick Pitino cheating on his wife, sleeping with another woman, getting her pregnant and paying for her abortion. I am so glad that the UofL board is being cleaned out because this entire university as been corrupt for years. I am embarrassed to be a UofL fan, and I miss having the pride of wearing a UofL

Well, Jurich was hired to run a clean ship. Looks like he got wrecked by the Pitino Reef.

Supposedly the Feds have video of a UofL coach saying things need to be "low key" on the transfer of money. My guess is that the first indictments were to serve notice to others. Pretty sure there will be more indictments. For instance, I'm guessing these families didn't pay any taxes on this money.

Forgive me for jumping in. A good friend of mine and UofL alum told me the federal indictments were for coaches also receiving cash bribes. There is not indication UofL coaches did that but are allegations they there were involved with Bowmans family receiving payments. That info will be turned over to the NCAA.

This is much larger than one school and exposed a seedy side of college athletics. I suspect it's worse in college football.

I dont understand why our coaches are so idiotic and dumb. Should've cleaned the house for the last scandal. 1 month later, already cheating again. What an absolute disgrace to the name of the University. I am beside myself on why Pitino and all of them thought this would slide by. I want every person involved fired, even if means we go 2-30 for the next 10 seasons. Absolutely 100% pathetic. I can't defend it anymore just sitting here thinking about it. Always on the negative side of the headlines.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT