ADVERTISEMENT

Federal Corruption Charges for 10 in College Basketball

Current mood...
HTTP3N0cmVhbTEuZ2lmc291cC5jb20vdmlldy8xNzQxNTIvYmx1dG8tby5naWYlog.gif

Youre the lucky one.

I dont drink :(

"Shoe money" has been funneled to basketball players for years. and most of it was probably thru AAU channels.
Travel ball is an expensive enterprise. I coached a team once, and actually traveled out of town to one tournament. I funded the tournament out of my pocket, less Hotel and food expenses for the players. It cost me 700.00.
Imagine traveling every week with hotel and food expenses. who pays for this ?
Adias, Nike, Converse, UnderArmor ???????

Will Pitino resign today? I would be surprised if he doesn't. There is no way to untangle from this. He openly boasted that UofL essentially had to do little work to get Bowen. That should've sent red flags up all over the place.

Hire Scotty Davenport for the next few years until the program is revamped.

For any trolls visiting this thread, cool it with the schadenfreude. The investigation is ongoing, the defendants, especially Gatto of Adidas, likely to tell all about his primary competition in order to aid the investigation and save his own ass. No school is safe at this point. There will be many to feel the consequences of this nationwide corruption.

Really always liked your team and how hard your team plays!!

I JUST WONDER HOW AND WHY THE REAL CROOKS IN YOUR STATE ALWAYS GET OFF "SCOTT FREE"?? Can u say Kensucky??

You Card fans/officials need to somehow help expose them once and for all!

Dont shoot the messenger here. But i have a family member in the u of l athletics dept. I had posted here after the powell incident that coach pitino was goong to remain coach. The conversation i just had with family member isnt good for rick. Expect a news conference by Thursday announcing him gone. Sorry for the news and all card fans

Love my team and school and always will. Such is life. Hire new, start again enjoy the rebuild (America love's comebacks). Ticket prices *should* be cheaper for the next few years, positive there. Feel bad for the current recruits who were not part of schemes out there (at all schools) who will be impacted by this. Always the innocent getting hurt.

My only hope is that the FBI bags as many as possible in this. Take down the whole system down. My real fear is that the schools that have this process down to a science won't get caught up in it as they are too insulated. The one former Nike Executive that switched to Addias who was referred to could be the key to getting into that web and ensuring their top schools ALSO get what's deserved. The economic fallout is also going to be substantive; if both schools are hit in the end, there's going to be real jobs impacted (for people that will never be mentioned in a tweet). NOBODY in the state should be rooting for that as we have enough problems in the Commonwealth to be having more unemployment.

For any trolls visiting this thread, cool it with the schadenfreude. The investigation is ongoing, the defendants, especially Gatto of Adidas, likely to tell all about his primary competition in order to aid the investigation and save his own ass. No school is safe at this point. There will be many to feel the consequences of this nationwide corruption.

I can name two schools who are safe.
Their primary colours are bleu.

Theyve dominated recruiting for years, yet theyre untouchable............

Reactions: Mike-D

The circumstances have changed. As the FBI said today, "We have your playbook."

This is only the beginning.

Reactions: BigBlueFanGA
For those wanting to bail as UL fans remember this; we are UL that is the students and fans. None of us condoned this nor wanted this. We don’t want a win at all cost program. So coaches will come and go and we remain. I defended Pitino the last two times not this time at the least Pitino needs to resign....go. And Jurich, well we really need to think that too. But if all the other programs are clean maybe he can be saved. But I’m good either way.

Just looked at the list of players that have come through Brad Augustine's 1 Florida Hoops AAU program. Oh boy. Basically every major program has recruited through there. If he starts talking (which I hope he does) this thing is gonna be big.

The NCAA hates Calipari, if Cal was cheating he wouldn't been caught years ago. I'll never understand why fans think UK cheats....is it that difficult to fathom that he sells the NBA? That "if you play for me, you'll be taken in the first round in less than a year and out of the ghetto?"
If you weren't such a huge UL fan, and you were living in a apartment making 25k a year, would you hope your son plays for UK or someone else? Your hate might be too sever to make a rational decision, so never mind.

The NCAA hates Calipari, if Cal was cheating he wouldn't been caught years ago. I'll never understand why fans think UK cheats....is it that difficult to fathom that he sells the NBA? That "if you play for me, you'll be taken in the first round in less than a year and out of the ghetto?"
If you weren't such a huge UL fan, and you were living in a apartment making 25k a year, would you hope your son plays for UK or someone else?

You cannot be serious.
Dont waste our time.........

They just said on 93.9 that the university will be making more "announcements" (plural) throughout the course of the day. Given the hour, my expectation is we are going to hear names and firings.

If you weren't such a huge UL fan, and you were living in a apartment making 25k a year, would you hope your son plays for UK or someone else? Your hate might be too sever to make a rational decision, so never mind.
Yeah, those guys need Cal to mold them...lol

This is BAD. Real BAD. :mad:

Who is Player-10?

The U.S. attorney’s complaint says “Player-10” on or about June 3 committed to "University-6."

On June 2, the Courier-Journal reported that McDonald's All-American Brian Bowen was enrolling at U of L. Bowen later tweeted his commitment on June 3.

According to the complaint, “Player-10” came to “University-6” in return for Gatto, his company and others working to funnel $100,000 to the family of “Player-10” and to sign with Gatto’s company once “Player-10” made it to the NBA.

Who is Player-11?
A second basketball player, identified only as "Player-11" was described as a 2019 recruit for "University-6." His family was to receive monthly payments.

Are any U of L coaches indicted?
The U.S. attorney’s criminal complaint doesn’t name any U of L personnel directly. It does, however, note that “others known and unknown, including basketball coaches employed by University-6” participated in the scheme to defraud, by telephone, email, and wire transfers of funds.

It highlights two coaches from “University-6,” identified only as "Coach-1” and “Coach-2.”

The charges say “Coach-1” is on an FBI video recording inside of a Las Vegas hotel room.

According to the complaint, that person, who is identified as an assistant coach, agreed that University-6 was already on probation with the NCAA. It goes on to say that the assistant coach also agreed that they needed to be particularly careful with how they passed money to "Player-11."

"Coach-1" said, "we gotta be very low key.” According to the complaint, "Coach-1" also describes another University-6 coach as so influential “that all (Coach-2 has to do) is pick up the phone and call somebody, (and say) these are my guys, they're taking care of us."

A spokeswoman with the U.S. attorney's office in New York declined to say whether the apparent Louisville coach will be charged and whether they’ve arrested any of the coaches.

Reporter Phillip M. Bailey can be reached at 502-582-4475- or pbailey@courier-journal.com.

Reactions: Nova69
Goodbye Cards fan. I am deleting all web links to all things U of L. Let’s go Rose! Rose Hulman. Been following Cards since 1975. My last post.

Reactions: YOTHN
I must admit I haven't kept up with our Asst. Coaches (as they change so frequently). Who are the possibilities in this?

Kenny Johnson - been here 2 yrs.
David Padgett - been here 2 yrs.
Jordan Fair - been here 1 year
Wayne Turner - been here 2 yrs. as Asst. Coach for player development

Who was here before these guys? Any ideas on who might be the ones indicated in report?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT