ADVERTISEMENT

Federal Corruption Charges for 10 in College Basketball

These are RICO charges. That is raqueteering, bribery, wire fraud and tax evasion. It is also fraudulent representation to a minor across state lines. There is actually statements in the affidavit that specifically point out charges that are normally handed down in mob cases. This is not only bad, this is going to put a lot of people into jail. And I don’t know of any major program after the AAU coaches turn States evidence will not be impacted if they have recruited and landed a 5* over the past 5 years. Someone got paid by somebody and since the NCAA didn’t clean it up, now the Feds are going to make an example of the whole stinking mess. So it won’t matter if it is U of L, KY, Duke, UNC, Zona, USC, UCLA, Kansas etc. somebody did something and there is a pretty good chance when it is all over there will be a pretty large group of high visibility individuals in the activity who will be serving a lot of time, including players. They took the money. RICO charges have long sentences. This may be good in the long run, but it is going to really suck for a lot of programs in the short run.

The NCAA hates Calipari, if Cal was cheating he wouldn't been caught years ago. I'll never understand why fans think UK cheats....is it that difficult to fathom that he sells the NBA? That "if you play for me, you'll be taken in the first round in less than a year and out of the ghetto?"
If you weren't such a huge UL fan, and you were living in a apartment making 25k a year, would you hope your son plays for UK or someone else?

You cannot be serious.
Dont waste our time.........

Really the NCAA hates Cal how do you know this? That’s a typical UK fan everyone hates us they hate our coach. Whatever. You have no more clue to whether he’s cheating then we did about this. All the news stations here in town covering UL like glove and they didn’t know, neither did the NCAA. Do you actually think those stations in Lexington dig deep into anything at UK. And we no the NCAA can’t find anything unless it’s put right on their lap. So I don’t think anyone at any university should sleep well tonight especially Nike schools. Who do you think started all of this crap.

These are RICO charges. That is raqueteering, bribery, wire fraud and tax evasion. It is also fraudulent representation to a minor across state lines. There is actually statements in the affidavit that specifically point out charges that are normally handed down in mob cases. This is not only bad, this is going to put a lot of people into jail. And I don’t know of any major program after the AAU coaches turn States evidence will not be impacted if they have recruited and landed a 5* over the past 5 years. Someone got paid by somebody and since the NCAA didn’t clean it up, now the Feds are going to make an example of the whole stinking mess. So it won’t matter if it is U of L, KY, Duke, UNC, Zona, USC, UCLA, Kansas etc. somebody did something and there is a pretty good chance when it is all over there will be a pretty large group of high visibility individuals in the activity who will be serving a lot of time, including players. They took the money. RICO charge

And this is where we are. This is going go far and wide. Buckle up for the ride. We may get out of this as one of less offenders. Still bad nor do I condone what happened. I’m tired of all BS surrounding recruiting. And it has touched FB yet.

Reactions: LouVol
How are you amazed that UNC hasn’t been punished? UNC “scandal” is completely different and they were cleared by the NCAA to begin with. The whole UNC case, for most who have taken the time to look into, is an extra benefits case. Has nothing to do with cheating or fraud or strippers, etc. The reason why UNC will not get punished is because hey have exposed the NCAA and also because the “paper classes” were offered to all students not just athletes in which they are being charged for extra benefits. What they did was not right by any means but the fact is they will not get punished. The NCAA may and that’s a Big IF, may try and hammer them only to lose in court. The NCAA does not want to get embarrassed. This is why UNC has not and will not be punished. They investigated everything themselves, paid for it themselves, cooperated with authorities involved. What they are being charged with is completely different than most think. What they have been charged with, extra benefits (easy classes) happen at every school and the NCAA knows it also.

Just so you know, UNC was recruiting several targets from 1 Florida AAU which was headed by the newly arrested Brad Augustine.

I have thought about it. A lot. Which is why I feel so clean. How many shady recruitments have we been involved in? Terrence jones?How many eligibility questions? Kanter? He didn't play a minute and was drafted #3. I think we could have benefited from being a little more shady.

I agree that this is the tip of the iceberg. That iceberg just isn't connected in Lexington.
The Anthony Davis recruitment comes to mind. It was widely rumored and reported that AD received $200k to sign. Where did he go to school again? When the investigation continues and it will continue, FBI will go back at least 7 years....

These are RICO charges. That is raqueteering, bribery, wire fraud and tax evasion. It is also fraudulent representation to a minor across state lines. There is actually statements in the affidavit that specifically point out charges that are normally handed down in mob cases. This is not only bad, this is going to put a lot of people into jail. And I don’t know of any major program after the AAU coaches turn States evidence will not be impacted if they have recruited and landed a 5* over the past 5 years. Someone got paid by somebody and since the NCAA didn’t clean it up, now the Feds are going to make an example of the whole stinking mess. So it won’t matter if it is U of L, KY, Duke, UNC, Zona, USC, UCLA, Kansas etc. somebody did something and there is a pretty good chance when it is all over there will be a pretty large group of high visibility individuals in the activity who will be serving a lot of time, including players. They took the money. RICO charges have long sentences. This may be good in the long run, but it is going to really suck for a lot of programs in the short run.

This is 100% right. But this needed to happen eventually. NCAA needs to team up with the NBA too. College basketball is a cesspool if we are being honest. Lot of kids being pimped out by grown adults.

This feels like January 1st of this year when I received a phone call from Dad that my Mother had died, after battling cancer and dementia. It was a gut shot to me...just like today. I think about all the time, money, sacrifice and grief supporting this program. We have lost coaches to bigger schools because of money...or flat out sucked. We lost recruits and players because of money. To think that the coaches and players have betrayed our trust because of money. No more games with these people...no more Pitino....No more Hi rich...No more. The 2012 FF and the 2013 Championship are gone. Quite honestly, UofL needs to investigate all coaches and Staff. God of the questionable and move on. As a fan, we are done with UofL sports for a very long time. Very Sad. This is going to affect this city for next 25 year's. Our neighbors in Lexington are laughing their asses off. Thanks Pitino...you ruined a good thing.

Reactions: truth79
You haven't been paying attention. At the UNC hearing the NCAA already said the "classes for everyone" defense won't work for UNC. They made that clear. Everything UNC tried to use an an excuse ... the NCAA dismissed. Just sayin'

Show me proof of where this was said? I follow this case pretty darn close and have not seen this anywhere. The inside right now on this is the NCAA and UNC are in talks behind the scenes to come to a agreement of punishment. The NCAA will most likely go back to the 2nd NOA and It will most likely be women’s BBall getting the harshest punishment. Men’s b-ball and football was not in this for the 2nd NOA. You have had also so many come out now including analyst (duke grad) Jay Bilas that also that know the legality of everything and said UNC has a damn good case and will destroy the NCAA in court. The NCAA does not want this to go to court and be embarrassed!

This feels like January 1st of this year when I received a phone call from Dad that my Mother had died, after battling cancer and dementia. It was a gut shot to me...just like today. I think about all the time, money, sacrifice and grief supporting this program. We have lost coaches to bigger schools because of money...or flat out sucked. We lost recruits and players because of money. To think that the coaches and players have betrayed our trust because of money. No more games with these people...no more Pitino....No more Hi rich...No more. The 2012 FF and the 2013 Championship are gone. Quite honestly, UofL needs to investigate all coaches and Staff. God of the questionable and move on. As a fan, we are done with UofL sports for a very long time. Very Sad. This is going to affect this city for next 25 year's. Our neighbors in Lexington are laughing their asses off. Thanks Pitino...you ruined a good thing.
Sorry about your Mom. Today's news shouldn't remotely compare to that.

The shame of it to me, is that it hurts because a lot of us look to sports as an escape and a refuge .

Last edited:
Merl Code, another Adidas employee arrested and charged via the FBI probe, is a veteran of the Nike grassroots before going to Adidas. “He’s the key,” said a grassroots basketball source. “That’s what no one is talking about. He knows where all the bodies were buried at both Nike and Adidas.”

From Pete Thamel article on Yahoo.

Reactions: BPGhost and Sec221
This could be the beginning of the end for the NCAA

In a way, the NCAA governing body are enablers for this type of environment in the P5. Slaps on the wrist being given out for major infractions are an all too common occurrence for the big boys. On the governance and infraction side, I can't imagine it would be too hard to play connect-the-dots with the governing body itself being influenced by 'favors', corruption, and even outright cash payments,

Reactions: Steve91562
What came of that?
Nothing when the NCAA was in charge of looking into it.

Psss, the FBI isn't the NCAA. This obviously hasn't sunk in to your very thick head just yet, but having the FBI involved in this is a tad more serious than having the NCAA involved. This issue is going to grow and branch out and the NCAA is powerless to stop it.

Reactions: BPGhost
Merl Code, another Adidas employee arrested and charged via the FBI probe, is a veteran of the Nike grassroots before going to Adidas. “He’s the key,” said a grassroots basketball source. “That’s what no one is talking about. He knows where all the bodies were buried at both Nike and Adidas.”

From Pete Thamel article on Yahoo.
With Code looking at possible prison time, that should worry a whole lot of people.

When they get finished with all the Nike ties, Kenny Johnson or whatever dumbass assistant they have on recording might look like small potatoes.

Nothing when the NCAA was in charge of looking into it.

Psss, the FBI isn't the NCAA. This obviously hasn't sunk in to your very thick head just yet, but having the FBI involved in this is a tad more serious than having the NCAA involved. This issue is going to grow and branch out and the NCAA is powerless to stop it.
Like I said I'm confident that day is not on the horizon

Reactions: ukalum1992
Like I said I'm confident that day is not on the horizon
Really? You just said this could be the end of the NCAA earlier in this very thread, and now you are saying you're confident that day is not on the horizon. A bit confused are you?

If you're not scared this will grow and expand; you should be. This won't end well for the Cards basketball program. I've accepted that. I understand that. It won't end well for a whole lot of college basketball programs. I wonder which one has been blessed with unbelievable amounts of 5 star talent in the past 5 years or so? Remember, people are going to cut deals with the FEDS to stay out of prison. ALL bets are off on who is safe and who isn't.

Really? You just said this could be the end of the NCAA earlier in this very thread, and now you are saying you're confident that day is not on the horizon. A bit confused are you?

If you're not scared this will grow and expand; you should be. This won't end well for the Cards basketball program. I've accepted that. I understand that. It won't end well for a whole lot of college basketball programs. I wonder which one has been blessed with unbelievable amounts of 5 star talent in the past 5 years or so? Remember, people are going to cut deals with the FEDS to stay out of prison. ALL bets are off on who is safe and who isn't.
My bad man I replied to the wrong person. I meant I am confident the day is not on the horizon that U.K. Gets the ax in this mess.

I am very confident that all this is leading to the end of the NCAA though like I said earlier

Last edited:
Reactions: bloodguard13
My bad man I replied to the wrong person. I meant I am confident the day is not on the horizon that U.K. Gets the ax in this mess.

I am very confident that all this is leading to the end of the NCAA though like I said early
Oh, OK. You replied to the wrong person. LOL. Whatever. This will be the reset button on college sports in general. For you to think UofK will get away from this unscathed is very naive on your part especially considering who the UofK head coach is and his personal ties to William Wesley. Very naive indeed.

Oh, OK. You replied to the wrong person. LOL. Whatever. This will be the reset button on college sports in general. For you to think UofK will get away from this unscathed is very naive on your part especially considering who the UofK head coach is and his personal ties to William Wesley. Very naive indeed.
I personally feel as if anything was going on that could be blown up about Kentucky it will be blown up or would have been

I wonder how they will view the player who went on to sign the contracts with Adidas, or Nike, or UH? Wouldn't they materially be participating to extend the crime?

I wonder how they will view the player who went on to sign the contracts with Adidas, or Nike, or UH? Wouldn't they materially be participating to extend the crime?
Great question. Could this spread to professional sports in general? NBA? NFL? MLB?

The FBI can get warrants for the wiretaps, and under cover agents and whatever other tools they need. The NCAA can't. The NCAA won't be able to extend this investigation out much further than what info the FBI supplied them. And the FBI isn't investigating college basketball, they are after the guys cooking the books at Adidas and the coaches taking bribes for players. It just happens the money is going to college coaches and not another company or executive. They aren't working with the NCAA, the NCAA didn't even know about the investigation until everyone else did. I doubt FBI cares anything about the NCAA outside the scope of their investigation in this case. BUT, the feds did say they are turning over info they've gathered to the NCAA so there is not telling how much more is there than what was released today.

The sun will come up tomorrow ☀️
Then what look forward to our coach being gone. Then having a terrible BB program for years to come!. Not to mention another NCAA infractions to follow in the coming years . The bleeding is never going to stop

Then what look forward to our coach being gone. Then having a terrible BB program for years to come!. Not to mention another NCAA infractions to follow in the coming years . The bleeding is never going to stop

It feels that way tonight, but the bleeding will eventually stop. This is a major setback though for sure.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT