ADVERTISEMENT

Federal Corruption Charges for 10 in College Basketball

Steelers2012

Jan 5, 2012
At this time, it appears that Adidas is the shoe company involved.
I have a BAD feeling about this.

Press Conference Advisory

There will be a press conference today at noon to announce charges of fraud and corruption in college basketball. Federal criminal charges have been brought against ten people, including four college basketball coaches, as well as managers, financial advisors, and representatives of a major international sportswear company. The press conference will be livestreamed on Facebook @USAOSDNY.

https://www.justice.gov/usao-sdny/pr/press-conference-advisory-2

This is going to be insanity. It's one thing to be an NCAA investigation, an FBI investigation means they got you dead to rights on serious stuff. Some Adidas execs going to federal prison most likely.

Reactions: wilkie01
All the articles I read say 10 people where charged including 4 assistant coaches. No one at UofL has been charged

However, the FBI probe states a "top recruit" that made a surprise commitment and was one of the last top players to sign took a bribe. All of this points to Brian Bowen. I hope I am wrong.

dca.jpeg

Certainly looks like the FBI has proof that Bowen was paid $100k to commit, but I haven't seen Louisville officially linked to it. Could be that Adidas threw him the cash and just said "pick one of our schools."

There is basically no doubt that Brian Bowen is the recruit, so at a minimum he will never play. The hope is that UofL didn't have a rogue assistant privy to what was going on and that it was basically just adidas pulling the strings.

Reactions: JohnKBA
Certainly looks like the FBI has proof that Bowen was paid $100k to commit, but I haven't seen Louisville officially linked to it. Could be that Adidas threw him the cash and just said "pick one of our schools."
The report says Bowen was paid to commit to "School 6" which is the one people are speculating is U of L based on the details about enrollment and already being on probation.

And now they are saying there is tapes of the phone calls. Wiretapping was used to gather evidence.

There is basically no doubt that Brian Bowen is the recruit, so at a minimum he will never play. The hope is that UofL didn't have a rogue assistant privy to what was going on and that it was basically just adidas pulling the strings.

The way the whole thing is framed (not just the Bowen part,) this is how I took it Hank.

At this time, it appears that Adidas is the shoe company involved.
I have a BAD feeling about this.

Press Conference Advisory

There will be a press conference today at noon to announce charges of fraud and corruption in college basketball. Federal criminal charges have been brought against ten people, including four college basketball coaches, as well as managers, financial advisors, and representatives of a major international sportswear company. The press conference will be livestreamed on Facebook @USAOSDNY.

https://www.justice.gov/usao-sdny/pr/press-conference-advisory-2

Jim Gatto, Adidas’ director of global sports marketing for basketball, and Merl Code, director of Nike Elite Youth Basketball, also were named as defendants.

If I'm reading the FBI document correctly, Adidas funneled money to Bowen's family in exchange for his commitment to UofL without UofL higher ups knowing about it. "The bribe money was structured in a manner so as to conceal it from the NCAA and officials at University-6." That's the good news. The bad news, as the document goes on: "the scheme could only succeed, and Player-10 could only receive an athletic scholarship from Universit-6, if the scheme participants, including one or more coaches at University-6, made false certifications to University-6." So, that tells me an asst. coach was part of the transaction and lied to Pitino about it.

If I'm reading the FBI document correctly, Adidas funneled money to Bowen's family in exchange for his commitment to UofL without UofL higher ups knowing about it. "The bribe money was structured in a manner so as to conceal it from the NCAA and officials at University-6." That's the good news. The bad news, as the document goes on: "the scheme could only succeed, and Player-10 could only receive an athletic scholarship from Universit-6, if the scheme participants, including one or more coaches at University-6, made false certifications to University-6." So, that tells me an asst. coach was part of the transaction and lied to Pitino about it.

DKp7yK6U8AADuRX.jpg

I have a hard time believing this is ending with just Adidas schools. With all the crap going on at Nike schools like LSU this could get ugly and I wouldn’t be comfortable at any school.

Reactions: JohnKBA
Austin Wiley of Aubrun is being talked about by CBS sports as a recruit that was involved. Austin was the 38th overall rated prospect in last years class. Maybe he is the recruit that the report is talkkng about? An auburn asstant coach was charged.

The schools involved at this time are Arizona, Auburn, OK St, and USC. Apparently Adidas was bribing coaches to steer players toward managers, and agents.

Reactions: Philpot Cat
If this is true, I AM SO DONE WITH THIS SLEEZY BASKETBALL PROGRAM. I want Rick Pitino GONE!!!!! From Fraud and corruption, to hookers on campus performing for recruits and players. To Rick Pitino cheating on his wife, sleeping with another woman, getting her pregnant and paying for her abortion. I am so glad that the UofL board is being cleaned out because this entire university as been corrupt for years. I am embarrassed to be a UofL fan, and I miss having the pride of wearing a UofL

The better news is that the claim is that an Adidas rep paid Bowen without the University knowing. Like CardX said, the 2nd part of someone here having to false certify it is going to destroy us.

But something to think about:

1. Why was Louisville the only assistants that were NOT named in the report?

The basketball program won't be getting a dime from me this year. I am either selling my season tickets or demanding a refund. We have a bunch of asshats at the helm. The program deserves to burn at this point.
A little premature don't you think.

"A UofL assistant coach acknowledged to defendants that since the university was on probation, they needed to keep it on down low WOW"

"It is important to note that many of the allegations against defendants/U of L are either on wire tap, video or from undercover FBI."

Jason Riley@wdrb twitter

The basketball team is dead to me. If it all checks out, Rick needs to leave tonight!!!

Not saying that at all. If my school was involved so be it and let the chips fall where they may. The point is this has been going on and schools with extremely large, blue tinted windows should not be casting stones right now.
Aight, I'll give ya that. Same here. If the FBI is going though all the work, I can't imagine they didn't at least look at other companies than Adidas. I guess we'll all find out more with their press conference here in a bit.

I’m not jumping the gun on anything until charges are brought against someone at the University. It’s very odd knowing how the FBI works that no one at UL was not even indicted. Local news would love for us to be involved and are biting at the bit in hopes that we are. So I’ll wait to hear from the FBI to determine what’s going on. Local news like national news looks for the bang effect screw accuracy. They might be right but I’ll wait to see.

For what is worth, the local media in Louisville are the ONLY people mentioning "Louisville" and "Brian Bowen"

It may all turn out to be true but I haven't heard anyone in the national media or FBI state we were involved. I find they to be very odd considering multiple schools/coaches have been named.

Reactions: CardsFirst
For what is worth, the local media in Louisville are the ONLY people mentioning "Louisville" and "Brian Bowen"

It may all turn out to be true but I haven't heard anyone in the national media or FBI state we were involved. I find they to be very odd considering multiple schools/coaches have been named.

Exactly! This might all be hearsay or occurred above UL and our coach wasn’t involved. And if that’s the case our local media owes the University and fans a huge apology. Will see once the smoke clears

Yeah local media they went all in on this one...it's either a huge payoff if they're right or if I'm the University I sue WDRB and their managing group for A LOT of money. You have some of their employees posting what would amount to slanderous and grossly unprofessional behavior.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT