ADVERTISEMENT

Federal Corruption Charges for 10 in College Basketball

I must admit I haven't kept up with our Asst. Coaches (as they change so frequently). Who are the possibilities in this?

Kenny Johnson - been here 2 yrs.
David Padgett - been here 2 yrs.
Jordan Fair - been here 1 year
Wayne Turner - been here 2 yrs. as Asst. Coach for player development

Who was here before these guys? Any ideas on who might be the ones indicated in report?

Jordan Fair and Kenny Johnson, Fair specifically sticks out to me because that's when the recruiting has REALLY picked up.

Some sleuth UofL Twitter people that are pretty knowledgeable seem to think the 2 assistants would be Kenny Johnson and Jordan Fair.

This is going to grow. Adidas was in a bidding war with the another apparel company. Apparently the guy with Adidas was with Nike before.

The NCAA will look at all schools who have done business with Adidas and Nike.

Don't forget about the sponsored AAU teams.

This is BAD. Real BAD. :mad:

Who is Player-10?

The U.S. attorney’s complaint says “Player-10” on or about June 3 committed to "University-6."

On June 2, the Courier-Journal reported that McDonald's All-American Brian Bowen was enrolling at U of L. Bowen later tweeted his commitment on June 3.

According to the complaint, “Player-10” came to “University-6” in return for Gatto, his company and others working to funnel $100,000 to the family of “Player-10” and to sign with Gatto’s company once “Player-10” made it to the NBA.

Who is Player-11?
A second basketball player, identified only as "Player-11" was described as a 2019 recruit for "University-6." His family was to receive monthly payments.

Are any U of L coaches indicted?
The U.S. attorney’s criminal complaint doesn’t name any U of L personnel directly. It does, however, note that “others known and unknown, including basketball coaches employed by University-6” participated in the scheme to defraud, by telephone, email, and wire transfers of funds.

It highlights two coaches from “University-6,” identified only as "Coach-1” and “Coach-2.”

The charges say “Coach-1” is on an FBI video recording inside of a Las Vegas hotel room.

According to the complaint, that person, who is identified as an assistant coach, agreed that University-6 was already on probation with the NCAA. It goes on to say that the assistant coach also agreed that they needed to be particularly careful with how they passed money to "Player-11."

"Coach-1" said, "we gotta be very low key.” According to the complaint, "Coach-1" also describes another University-6 coach as so influential “that all (Coach-2 has to do) is pick up the phone and call somebody, (and say) these are my guys, they're taking care of us."

A spokeswoman with the U.S. attorney's office in New York declined to say whether the apparent Louisville coach will be charged and whether they’ve arrested any of the coaches.

Reporter Phillip M. Bailey can be reached at 502-582-4475- or pbailey@courier-journal.com.

Not good at all. It's especially bad when you consider and couple this with the other things Pitino has done or said lately. Specifically as it relates to having a mini NBA combine and the comments he made last week on 93.9 in an interview with Perrin Johnson. I am paraphrasing here, Louisville is recruiting or looking to bring in 5 star recruits and 5 star people. I believe he stated, "we have changed our recruiting." Someone else that maybe heard this interview as well can maybe clean this up, but looking back those comments made during that interview are strikingly odd considering the news today.

What changed? I mean obviously Louisville has recruited 5 star talent. They have landed some and lost some, but those comments along with the combine seem oddly strange now.

I may be reaching here. It's just seems strange that a coach of Pitino's stature would change his approach this drastically at this stage of his career.

This is going to grow. Adidas was in a bidding war with the another apparel company. Apparently the guy with Adidas was with Nike before.

The NCAA will look at all schools who have done business with Adidas and Nike.

Don't forget about the sponsored AAU teams.
The NCAA isn't going to do a damn thing until the FEDERAL BUREAU OF INVESTIGATIONS is done. This is a big deal. The FEDS are handing out indictments and arresting people and the investigation is ongoing. It's just the start.

UofL is university 6. Bowen is player 10. The assistant coach who hasn't been charged yet most likely will be and the basketball program is all but dead for a few years once the hammer drops. We're toast.

If they have a UofL coach on tape as participating in / soliciting bribes for a recruit - why wasn't that coach named in the indictment and, arrested?
He can always be charged later, it is quite possible that whoever it is will be offered a deal to cooperate in which case he may never be charged but will have to testify. This is how the feds work a unimportant assistant basketball coach can walk free if he can get you the one you really want. I am sincere in the fact that I hope everything isn't as bad as what I'm reading would really hate this for your school.

Bad news Tuesday. UofL may be one of the first, but this could end up getting most of the big shots in both major sports.

Not good at all. It's especially bad when you consider and couple this with the other things Pitino has done or said lately. Specifically as it relates to having a mini NBA combine and the comments he made last week on 93.9 in an interview with Perrin Johnson. I am paraphrasing here, Louisville is recruiting or looking to bring in 5 star recruits and 5 star people. I believe he stated, "we have changed our recruiting." Someone else that maybe heard this interview as well can maybe clean this up, but looking back those comments made during that interview are strikingly odd considering the news today.

What changed? I mean obviously Louisville has recruited 5 star talent. They have landed some and lost some, but those comments along with the combine seem oddly strange now.

I may be reaching here. It's just seems strange that a coach of Pitino's stature would change his approach this drastically at this stage of his career.
Is it reaching or is it just common sense?. With what little we know at the moment combined with what we already knew, it's not an unlogical conclusion to come to terms with.

I don't wish to speak for anyone else, but I sincerely hope this blows up college basketball and cleans it up completely. I know our blue blooded neighbors are feeling all giddy right about now, but they need to take a wait and see approach because the guy who worked for Adidas just started there aftter leaving NIKE, and he could be THE guy to bring all of this crashing down from a criminal standpoint for all of college basketball. Getting 4 or 5 five star recruits each year is going to finally get exposed or at least I hope that's the case. This is a FEDERAL case now. The NCAA won't be allowed to protect their cash COWS any longer.

Last edited:
Is it reaching or is it just common sense. With what little we know at the moment combined with what we already knew, it's not an unlogical conclusion to come to terms with.

I don't wish to speak for anyone else, but I sincerely hope this blows up college basketball and cleans it up completely. I know our blue blooded neighbors are feeling all giddy right about now, but they need to take a wait and see approach because the guy who worked for Adidas just started there aftter leaving NIKE, and he could be THE guy to bring all of this crashing down from a criminal standpoint for all of college basketball. Getting 4 or 5 five star recruits each year is going to finally get exposed or at least I hope that's the case. This is a FEDERAL case now. The NCAA won't be allowed to protect their cash COWS any longer.

For the most part, there have been what, four schools bringing in 5 star guys consistently? We've now heard that there is alleged evidence that there were open bidding wars for more than one player.

As a UK fan that worries me. Why do a handful of schools get the lion's share of the elite talent? Logic says they are going to the highest bidder. I would think that Duke, Kansas, Zona (who had a guy arrested) fans should also be concerned.

I think a lot of fans have felt and assumed that CBB and CFB are dirty businesses. I agree with Cue - if this thing blows it all up and puts everyone on the same playing field, I'm good with it.

For any trolls visiting this thread, cool it with the schadenfreude. The investigation is ongoing, the defendants, especially Gatto of Adidas, likely to tell all about his primary competition in order to aid the investigation and save his own ass. No school is safe at this point. There will be many to feel the consequences of this nationwide corruption.
You are delusional to throw all schools into your problems. Tugs would have been at Creighton if it wasn't for the widespread corruption in the football conference(s). This kid is going to be a poster boy with the scarlet letter moving forward and they (family) or himself were not even asking for it, it was introduced to them in the 25th hour of his school selection. Clean your hands/program and move on, there is no other option.

As a Kentucky fan I have never felt so clean. Someone, anyone would love to blow the lid if something was happening at Kentucky.

I just find it amazing that North Carolina still hasn't been punished.
LOL. You honestly don't get it, do you. This is now an FBI investigation. This has NOTHING to do with the NCAA or its associated members. This is a CRIMINAL investigation which involves criminal activity with indictments being handed down. The investigation is ongoing, and people are going to make deals to get themselves out of the dirt. As a UofK fan, you SHOULD BE more concerned than practically all others because this CRIMINAL investigation is showing ALL how the money gets moved and how the players get paid. Only the best players are GETTING paid you dufus. THINK about it.

For any trolls visiting this thread, cool it with the schadenfreude. The investigation is ongoing, the defendants, especially Gatto of Adidas, likely to tell all about his primary competition in order to aid the investigation and save his own ass. No school is safe at this point. There will be many to feel the consequences of this nationwide corruption.
You are delusional to throw all schools into your problems. Tugs would have been at Creighton if it wasn't for the widespread corruption in the football conference(s). This kid is going to be a poster boy with the scarlet letter moving forward and they (family) or himself were not even asking for it, it was introduced to them in the 25th hour of his school selection. Clean your hands/program and move on, there is no other option.

You are delusional if you think it ends here and today. Another company has already been mentioned in the investigation. And if that company is Nike, which anyone with half a brain knows that is where all this crap started well the hole damn NCAA is going down. We will take are lumps because we don’t want any part of this nor do we condone it. But anyone out there that thinks this ends today is either naive or stupid.

As a Kentucky fan I have never felt so clean. Someone, anyone would love to blow the lid if something was happening at Kentucky.

Once this arrested AAU coach starts squealing, he will name NCAA programs and other AAU programs. Then when those newly accused AAU coaches are staring at tax fraud convictions on their accepted bribes, they will squeal on other bigger fish. That's how these things work. There will be slot of schools affected.

Reactions: RobCary
Is it reaching or is it just common sens?. With what little we know at the moment combined with what we already knew, it's not an unlogical conclusion to come to terms with.

For the most part, there have been what, four schools bringing in 5 star guys consistently? We've now heard that there is alleged evidence that there were open bidding wars for more than one player.

As a UK fan that worries me. Why do a handful of schools get the lion's share of the elite talent? Logic says they are going to the highest bidder. I would think that Duke, Kansas, Zona (who had a guy arrested) fans should also be concerned.

I think a lot of fans have felt and assumed that CBB and CFB are dirty businesses. I agree with Cue - if this thing blows it all up and puts everyone on the same playing field, I'm good with it.

Agree. Same here hope it blows up CBB.

Today should not really come as a surprise. Most have known this or thought that this type of thing was and has been going on for sometime now.

Sad and disappointing that it's Louisville. Especially coming off of the most recent scandal.

It's sad and unfortunate that a legendary coach's career is going to end like this.

Reactions: Cue Card
Figured the thread could use some levity. What better way than cat GIF's?

I don't think you quite know what's going on.

LOL. You honestly don't get it, do you. This is now an FBI investigation. This has NOTHING to do with the NCAA or its associated members. This is a CRIMINAL investigation which involves criminal activity with indictments being handed down. The investigation is ongoing, and people are going to make deals to get themselves out of the dirt. As a UofK fan, you SHOULD BE more concerned than practically all others because this CRIMINAL investigation is showing ALL how the money gets moved and how the players get paid. Only the best players are GETTING paid you dufus. THINK about it.
I have thought about it. A lot. Which is why I feel so clean. How many shady recruitments have we been involved in? Terrence jones?How many eligibility questions? Kanter? He didn't play a minute and was drafted #3. I think we could have benefited from being a little more shady.

Once this arrested AAU coach starts squealing, he will name NCAA programs and other AAU programs. Then when those newly accused AAU coaches are staring at tax fraud convictions on their accepted bribes, they will squeal on other bigger fish. That's how these things work. There will be slot of schools affected.

I agree that this is the tip of the iceberg. That iceberg just isn't connected in Lexington.

Very aware this is the tip of the iceberg, however, not ALL schools are participating in this corruption. There are plenty, if not most D1 programs, who have ethics that run from top to bottom of their programs. Don't turn a blind eye, Pitino is shady and has allowed for your program to be in this situation. I truly feel for you all as this is going to be a long road to recovery

If you're a Nike, or Adidas, or UA sponsored school, you're involved.

I have thought about it. A lot. Which is why I feel so clean. How many shady recruitments have we been involved in? Terrence jones?How many eligibility questions? Kanter? He didn't play a minute and was drafted #3. I think we could have benefited from being a little more shady.

I agree that this is the tip of the iceberg. That iceberg just isn't connected in Lexington.

I think every major college bball program will have dirt revealed.

Reactions: EEResistable
The NCAA isn't going to do a damn thing until the FEDERAL BUREAU OF INVESTIGATIONS is done. This is a big deal. The FEDS are handing out indictments and arresting people and the investigation is ongoing. It's just the start.

UofL is university 6. Bowen is player 10. The assistant coach who hasn't been charged yet most likely will be and the basketball program is all but dead for a few years once the hammer drops. We're toast.

Never said anything about when. Only that it was going to grow. The NCAA will not do anything to us until the transcripts/tapes are made public.

As for the program and the penalty, we'll have to wait and see. We will be in a long line of schools who will be facing a multitude of problems.

If you're a Nike, or Adidas, or UA sponsored school, you're involved.
Yep and now that indictments are getting handed out with people facing the possibility of going to PRISON; deals are going to be made to blow the top off this pressure cooker. You can bet on it.

Yep and now that indictments are getting handed out with people facing the possibility of going to PRISON; deals are going to be made to blow the top off this pressure cooker. You can bet on it.

I have a buddy who is a guard at a federal prison. No Bueno.

I don't know if your school is clean or not, but this is the FBI and not the NCAA investigating. Big difference

You are delusional if you think it ends here and today. Another company has already been mentioned in the investigation. And if that company is Nike, which anyone with half a brain knows that is where all this crap started well the hole damn NCAA is going down. We will take are lumps because we don’t want any part of this nor do we condone it. But anyone out there that thinks this ends today is either naive or stupid.
Very aware this is the tip of the iceberg, however, not ALL schools are participating in this corruption. There are plenty, if not most D1 programs, who have ethics that run from top to bottom of their programs. Don't turn a blind eye, Pitino is shady and has allowed for your program to be in this situation. I truly feel for you all as this is going to be a long road to recovery[/

Your right not every single school. But some schools will involve FB some BB. But I think a lot more than most would believe. All it takes is one misguided assistant. This goes very deep and I wouldn’t draw a line because whether is 1K or 100K it’s cheating and a felony. And the FBI is relentless.

I have thought about it. A lot. Which is why I feel so clean.

giphy.gif

I’m glad you thought about it so I guess that makes them clean. Hope your right but you have had a lot of players jump ship from one school to yours and a Nike school. Oh yeah WWW tied to you.

How are you amazed that UNC hasn’t been punished? UNC “scandal” is completely different and they were cleared by the NCAA to begin with. The whole UNC case, for most who have taken the time to look into, is an extra benefits case. Has nothing to do with cheating or fraud or strippers, etc. The reason why UNC will not get punished is because hey have exposed the NCAA and also because the “paper classes” were offered to all students not just athletes in which they are being charged for extra benefits. What they did was not right by any means but the fact is they will not get punished. The NCAA may and that’s a Big IF, may try and hammer them only to lose in court. The NCAA does not want to get embarrassed. This is why UNC has not and will not be punished. They investigated everything themselves, paid for it themselves, cooperated with authorities involved. What they are being charged with is completely different than most think. What they have been charged with, extra benefits (easy classes) happen at every school and the NCAA knows it also.

Reactions: coleknob
Please Cue. You and Kerry have compared CRP/Cal and UL/UK enough. Think for a minute. As you question Cal; What kind of example for kids has CRP set for you and UL's other fans? Leave UK and Cal out of this mess. Secondly, if you want a "mole" to blame, I would look more at your brethren on Tobacco Road who are up to their necks too. Honest UNC is breathing a sigh of relief at UL's problems. Do you think UNC/Duke consider UL more than a "place holder" in the "Good ol Boy" ACC? If you have ever lived there, you would know the answer. Don't worry though, Zipp will be here to "Lawyer Up" any minute.
Not worried at all. I'm GLAD this is all coming out and I am very hopeful this cleans up the whole mess which is the World Wide Wes's of college basketball. It's TIME this gets exposed for what it is. The AUU circuit has been a bathtub of filth and corruption for decades. Since the FBI is handing out indictments, deals will be offered up next for people to talk, and people will take the deals to stay out of prison. This is just the start of it, and I THANK my God for this happening. This is a blessing in disguise. Wait and see. Once the stench of corruption is removed, it'll be better for everyone.

In both major sports?
In all revenue making college sports. Yes. It ALL needs to be cleaned up. Since the FBI isn't interested in cleaning up the swamp we know as our nations capitol, then just maybe they'll clean up college sports.

We'll see.

In all revenue making college sports. Yes. It ALL needs to be cleaned up. Since the FBI isn't interested in cleaning up the swamp we know as our nations capitol, then just maybe they'll clean up college sports.

We'll see.

Understand now.

Not worried at all. I'm GLAD this is all coming out and I am very hopeful this cleans up the whole mess which is the World Wide Wes's of college basketball. It's TIME this gets exposed for what it is. The AUU circuit has been a bathtub of filth and corruption for decades. Since the FBI is handing out indictments, deals will be offered up next for people to talk, and people will take the deals to stay out of prison. This is just the start of it, and I THANK my God for this happening. This is a blessing in disguise. Wait and see. Once the stench of corruption is removed, it'll be better for everyone.
You sir, are correct on all points. It is about time.

Is it reaching or is it just common sense. With what little we know at the moment combined with what we already knew, it's not an unlogical conclusion to come to terms with.

It is dirty and hopefully in the long run this will clean it up. This is going to be huge and we’ve seen just the tip of the iceberg.

How are you amazed that UNC hasn’t been punished? UNC “scandal” is completely different and they were cleared by the NCAA to begin with. The whole UNC case, for most who have taken the time to look into, is an extra benefits case. Has nothing to do with cheating or fraud or strippers, etc. The reason why UNC will not get punished is because hey have exposed the NCAA and also because the “paper classes” were offered to all students not just athletes in which they are being charged for extra benefits. What they did was not right by any means but the fact is they will not get punished. The NCAA may and that’s a Big IF, may try and hammer them only to lose in court. The NCAA does not want to get embarrassed. This is why UNC has not and will not be punished. They investigated everything themselves, paid for it themselves, cooperated with authorities involved. What they are being charged with is completely different than most think. What they have been charged with, extra benefits (easy classes) happen at every school and the NCAA knows it also.

You haven't been paying attention. At the UNC hearing the NCAA already said the "classes for everyone" defense won't work for UNC. They made that clear. Everything UNC tried to use an an excuse ... the NCAA dismissed. Just sayin'

Reactions: drshreve
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT