ADVERTISEMENT

Dino Babers...

zipp

Elite Member
Jun 26, 2001
...I'm not into these "next coach" threads that go beyond Jeff Brohm, but I haven't seen his name mentioned. Why not?

I ll play along.

Because he'll come here win 9,10 games and will be poached by a blueblood or big boy within 3 years.

Your query suggest you have something against Brohm, since 90% of the fanbase is Brohm or Bust.

My facts is my data........

Reactions: shadowman4
I think again it would come down to money for any coach. The only way you all do not get Brohm is if it is hard to match another offer from Purdue or an Auburn/Blue Blood that could give him substantially more money.

Babers isn't highly paid now...but he will be getting an extension at the end of the year and a lot of other schools may put out feelers for his interest. Normally, money and support from TJ were the big selling factors for UofL...Tom is gone and the money is still there but is being allocated to buyouts and legal settlements.

...I'm not into these "next coach" threads that go beyond Jeff Brohm, but I haven't seen his name mentioned. Why not?

Probably because he went 4-8 the last 2 seasons. He is having a good year this season though. For our fanbase in particular, I'm sure it will be hard to look past him getting crushed by Petrino twice.

...Can the Cards afford Babers Zipp?...
That is the $15 million question. But I'll say this, you can probably better afford him and beat out his current school for his services. At least you're not competing against Big Ten football money.

You're also gonna need a Plan B list if/when Brohm turns toward greener pastures. And I haven't seen Babers on that list...

That is the $15 million question. But I'll say this, you can probably better afford him and beat out his current school for his services. At least you're not competing against Big Ten football money.

You're also gonna need a Plan B list if/when Brohm turns toward greener pastures. And I haven't seen Babers on that list...

If we hire Babers and he performs at the level we want, there is a risk he leaves also. I don't get fans who would rather have a guy that nobody else wants because they aren't good enough rather than risking a coach getting a better job.

Reactions: The Public Enemy
Babers has done as well at Syracuse as Brohm is doing. Did you check the latest college football poll?...

If we hire Babers and he performs at the level we want, there is a risk he leaves also. I don't get fans who would rather have a guy that nobody else wants because they aren't good enough rather than risking a coach getting a better job.

Jedi mind tricks.
This is what arena man does.
No P5 school will poach Babers.

Like Adazzio Babers was on the hot seat.
If Babers has another losing season next yr, he'll probably get the axe.

Babers has done as well at Syracuse as Brohm is doing. Did you check the latest college football poll?...

I said that Babers is doing well this year but his 1st 2 seasons were both 4-8. That is why is name isn't getting mentioned. Brohm will more than likely go to a bowl in his 1st to seasons at Purdue. If/when we fire Petrino, is Babers your 1st choice?

Damn Zipp, now you've hurt my feelings lol I mentioned Babers two months ago. I know most of my posts suck but as a squirrel family member I can find an acorn every now and then.

Reactions: zipp
Here's all I need to know about Babers. He beat Clemson last year and should have beat them this year. He always is in Clemson's face.

Babers is definitely someone to consider. He is energetic and runs an exciting offense. There is a ceiling to the success of Syracuse because it’s so difficult to recruit there. He would view UofL as a step up IMO. The good thing is that the coaching carousel this year doesn’t have a lot of horses.

Don't be so sure! If Southern Cal and Auburn make moves dominoes start falling. Also, are we sure Taggart isn't in trouble?

I don’t think Auburn makes a move. I can see USC changing coaches but I’ve heard they may let him switch up assistants for next year. Can’t see them giving up on Taggart yet. Jimbo left him one of the worst offensive lines in football.

I don’t think Auburn makes a move. I can see USC changing coaches but I’ve heard they may let him switch up assistants for next year. Can’t see them giving up on Taggart yet. Jimbo left him one of the worst offensive lines in football.

You could be right. But there's a lot of season left and unexpected things can happen.

Don't be so sure! If Southern Cal and Auburn make moves dominoes start falling. Also, are we sure Taggart isn't in trouble?
Rather big dominoes. I follow Auburn FB and Michigan along with the Cards. I cannot figure out the mindset of the power brokers there. They are the quickest to call for a coach's head at the 1st disappointing season. Malzahn was on the hotseat a few years back and then took them to the NC game. Before that Tuberville was dead man walking who led them to an undefeated season after they failed to poach CBP from us. A very impatient lot with a finger always on the trigger.

USC is another matter. Helton has clearly underperformed. Something will happen soon.

Reactions: genowe
Damn Zipp, now you've hurt my feelings lol I mentioned Babers two months ago. I know most of my posts suck but as a squirrel family member I can find an acorn every now and then.
Like I said, I don't closely track these "next coach" threads. :)

I think they're all moot anyway...we have no money, and that situation is getting worse.

...If/when we fire Petrino, is Babers your 1st choice?
I think we'd be idiots not to take a run at Brohm if that happens. If you spend yourself into a $14 million hole, why not dig it $5 million deeper? It's the American Way!

But Purdue will fight that move with $$$ they get from the Big Ten. You have to plan for the very real possibility that Brohm stays in what will be his gold palace in northern Indiana. Or central Alabama or southern California. Or you pick the NFL city...

I think we'd be idiots not to take a run at Brohm if that happens. If you spend yourself into a $14 million hole, why not dig it $5 million deeper? It's the American Way!

But Purdue will fight that move with $$$ they get from the Big Ten. You have to plan for the very real possibility that Brohm stays in what will be his gold palace in northern Indiana. Or central Alabama or southern California. Or you pick the NFL city...
That’s a big leap to make saying that Brohm is ready for the nfl or USC or Auburn after 2 moderately successful seasons at Purdue.

Plus, if Auburn is dumb enough to fire Malzahn, we could easily scoop him up and have a successful coach as a stop gap for a few years until he moves on to greener pastures again and then we can pick up Brohm towards the back end of his Purdue contract.

It is always wise to have a back up plan. Babers has done a terrific job at Syracuse. I am sure he is ready to get out of Syracuse. He will probably be very picky on his next job. I'm not sure if you steal a fellow conference members coach, but he would be a good choice.

Zipp, if I recall correctly, you knocked Jeff Brohm for a 4-5 record against ranked teams (and 2 of those losses were against #1 Alabama and #5 LSU while he was coaching WKU) and 9-9 against unranked P5 teams. Well, I think Babers combined Bowling Green/Syracuse record is 3-8 against ranked teams and 8-10 record against unranked P5 teams. I prefer the Brohm record.

Biggest obstacle might not be money. Jeff has recruited one full class. He is redshirting all but 5-6 of 23 2018 recruits. He has a class that could be Top 25 that will sign on 12/19. He has gone 7-6 and could finish 8-4 and have a chance for a New Year’s Day 6 Bowl shot with 8 wins in final 9 games. He will have 6-8 incoming players ranked as 4 stars by Rivals or 247Sports. His top QB recruit has not played a down. He has been winning with kids from recruiting classes ranked 51, 72, 80 and 67. He has a genuine shot at winning the BT West next year and being one game from a possible Playoff berth. Coaches take pride in what they build and recognize opportunities when they exist. Would he have a path to the ACC championship game in the next two years? Whatever he decides will likely have more to do with how he answers that question than on how much money he is offered.

Reactions: BigTimeAt69
Zipp, if I recall correctly, you knocked Jeff Brohm for a 4-5 record against ranked teams (and 2 of those losses were against #1 Alabama and #5 LSU while he was coaching WKU) and 9-9 against unranked P5 teams. Well, I think Babers combined Bowling Green/Syracuse record is 3-8 against ranked teams and 8-10 record against unranked P5 teams. I prefer the Brohm record.
Not that it's that important, but you're quoting out of context... I raised the issue about Brohm's record in opposition to Petrino haters who wanna talk about Petrino's comparable record(s). Petrino's been characterized as unable to beat good teams while Brohm is routinely losing to unranked P5 teams. That's trading one problem for another.

I'm not saying pick Brohm over Babers. No question who ticket-paying fans want. You're right that neither is head-and-shoulders ahead of the other, but that wasn't the comparison I was making...

Not that it's that important, but you're quoting out of context... I raised the issue about Brohm's record in opposition to Petrino haters who wanna talk about Petrino's comparable record(s). Petrino's been characterized as unable to beat good teams while Brohm is routinely losing to unranked P5 teams. That's trading one problem for another.

I'm not saying pick Brohm over Babers. No question who ticket-paying fans want. You're right that neither is head-and-shoulders ahead of the other, but that wasn't the comparison I was making...

No, you missed my point using your own metrics…. A 4-5 record against ranked teams (with two of the loses being at WKU versus # 1 and #5) versus 3-8 seems pretty clearly superior to me.

I will go a step further. At this time I characterize Petrino being unable to even compete against any teams good, bad, or in between.
It's not an argument about Petrino now; it's about Petrino at the time that argument was made.

At this juncture, Petrino's had a big hand in global warming...

Reactions: Rollem Cards
No, you missed my point using your own metrics…. A 4-5 record against ranked teams (with two of the loses being at WKU versus # 1 and #5) versus 3-8 seems pretty clearly superior to me.
Again, those stats were never grounded in Brohm vs. Babers. It was Brohm vs. Petrino. And if you wanna take comfort in 4-5 vs. 3-8, go right ahead.

If Brohm turns U of L down or the money becomes even more outrageous, his record is irrelevant. You're left with guys like Babers...

Again, those stats were never grounded in Brohm vs. Babers. It was Brohm vs. Petrino. And if you wanna take comfort in 4-5 vs. 3-8, go right ahead.

If Brohm turns U of L down or the money becomes even more outrageous, his record is irrelevant. You're left with guys like Babers...

You still haven't told me what your solution to all this is!

Reactions: zipp
Babers is a good coach, and I'm sure Tyra has him on his radar. He's done a good job building up that Syracuse program from nothing.

If you haven't seen him doing a pre-game pep talk, you're in for a treat. He knows how to get his team fired up to play!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT