ADVERTISEMENT

Congrats NECNHeel...

zipp

Elite Member
Jun 26, 2001
...on a great season and a great job representing the ACC throughout the tourney right up to that final shot. All you can do is put yourself in a position for a miracle shot to beat you.

Looking forward to our baseball series in a month. Congrats again!...

...on a great season and a great job representing the ACC throughout the tourney right up to that final shot. All you can do is put yourself in a position for a miracle shot to beat you.

Looking forward to our baseball series in a month. Congrats again!...
One incredible BB game. Your guys represented well. Don't be a stranger.

Reactions: NENCHeel
Thanks folks. It's going to take a while to digest that game. I'm OK but I know our kids are in a bad place now.

Nova earned it. Wright is one heckuva of a Coach. I'll be around for some hardball talk. :)

I'm in rationalization mode right now. Glad we got to compete against a great great team, glad it wasn't dook or the kitties that beat us, glad the end of the "Death Penalty' taunts is coming...glad the kids acted like true SAs afterwards.

I find it head scratching how so many on other boards, including the main board, want to treat last night's game like it was a huge trolling worthy embarrassment for UNC that they got beat on a last second shot. From where I sit, UNC MADE a last second shot that would have won the National Championship, if not for a bigger last second shot. They are the National Runnerup...2nd place for the entire 2015-16 NCAA basketball season. Does the way they lost hurt? I'm sure it does, but they DO have the satisfaction of being in The Final Game, and only ONE other team finished the season better. When programs are comparing accomplishments, UNC now has one more National Title Game to their credit. Kudos and congrats to them...and Villanova, of course.

Last edited:
Here's my perspective, there was some media attention towards UNC, especially during the Syracuse - UNC matchup between two teams that took different approaches to NCAA violations. There probably would have still been some discussions regarding Syracuse if they had beat the Tarheels such as Was the punishment enough? Didn't seem to affect them this year? The only thing I will say is that this UNC team was very talented and well deserving and there should not be an asterisk by this UNC team's name. But if the time comes, there definitely should be one next to the 2005 National Championship team.

Got no skin in the game because I live in Pittsburgh and got unc friends, but Bilas called the referring unfortunately bad. I agree and thought it was shaded toward Nova especially last part of game. Hey Carolina made shots down the stretch so hold your head high. cards will get the hardware back in 17 for the AACC

...The only thing I will say is that this UNC team was very talented and well deserving and there should not be an asterisk by this UNC team's name. But if the time comes, there definitely should be one next to the 2005 National Championship team.
And you know that how?? :rolleyes:

I agree with the refs not trying to take anything from Villanova because they have a great team. However, there sure we're some bad calls favoring Villanova.

I won't complain about the refs. I try to never do that. But if I see an escaped zebra running loose around my part of North Carolina, he's going down...fast and hard.

Sorry, still some post-game frustration. :)

Here's my perspective, there was some media attention towards UNC, especially during the Syracuse - UNC matchup between two teams that took different approaches to NCAA violations. There probably would have still been some discussions regarding Syracuse if they had beat the Tarheels such as Was the punishment enough? Didn't seem to affect them this year? The only thing I will say is that this UNC team was very talented and well deserving and there should not be an asterisk by this UNC team's name. But if the time comes, there definitely should be one next to the 2005 National Championship team.
When you post, it's hard for me not to imagine that you're not Charlie Brown's school teacher.... I keep reading wahwahwahwahwah!!!!

Got no skin in the game because I live in Pittsburgh and got unc friends, but Bilas called the referring unfortunately bad. I agree and thought it was shaded toward Nova especially last part of game. Hey Carolina made shots down the stretch so hold your head high. cards will get the hardware back in 17 for the AACC
I agree that the refereeing was not up to the calibre of the two teams on the floor, but I felt Jenkins got hosed on the 1st PF and most definitely on his 4th.

And you know that how?? :rolleyes:
Zipp and rocky,

I lived in NC for the last 25 years and you think our scandal has dragged on? Please google UNC tutoring scandal. The tutor did not even have a college education although she said she was "taking" classes at Duke and UNC but yet has not been substantiated. I will let it go at that.

Reactions: eastwood45789
North Carolina is not an honorable program and I'm glad Villanova won. You won't see them with any self imposed sanctions. The best thing this season was beating North Carolina and Duke, the two bastions of the arrogant.

North Carolina is not an honorable program and I'm glad Villanova won. You won't see them with any self imposed sanctions. The best thing this season was beating North Carolina and Duke, the two bastions of the arrogant.
Well then,there are probably very few "honorable" programs at all.If you think about how many programs have gotten away with the slightest of infractions and knowingly,it's still cheating.Just because you get away with it,don't make you honorable.

Reactions: zipp
Well then,there are probably very few "honorable" programs at all.If you think about how many programs have gotten away with the slightest of infractions and knowingly,it's still cheating.Just because you get away with it,don't make you honorable.
That's right. There was one program not long ago that had never ever had any type of major infraction. It was considered THE model program for all of collegiate sports. That program was
>
>
>
>
>
PENN STATE

Now what?

Then, welcome to the club of the dishonorable.

100715-centric-news-Katina-Powell.jpg

"Elite program", my a$$...

I think it was a Jerry Sandusky issue that could have happened at any major university.
I agree. It could have happened at any university, and any university could have covered it up while pretending to be the poster child program of integrity.

Yes?

I agree. It could have happened at any university, and any university could have covered it up while pretending to be the poster child program of integrity.

Yes?
The university as a collective entity, no, but certain individuals involved with the university, yes. Which on certain fronts is related to our case. In UNC's case there was a concerted attempt to "assist" those who needed academic assistance. However, that got exploited further into making sure certain athletes were "eligible to participate in college athletics".

As to omega's claim, there was no benefit to Paterno. He didn't know how to properly deal with it and did not know the extent of it.

Reactions: Louisville JD
The university as a collective entity, no, but certain individuals involved with the university, yes. Which on certain fronts is related to our case. In UNC's case there was a concerted attempt to "assist" those who needed academic assistance. However, that got exploited further into making sure certain athletes were "eligible to participate in college athletics".

As to omega's claim, there was no benefit to Paterno. He didn't know how to properly deal with it and did not know the extent of it.

Of course I don't know for sure...and neither do you. But it is not crazy to assume Sandusky had dirt on JP and that's why he was allowed to stick around.

You forgot Andre.
That ain't the point... When you live in a glass house, you're an idiot throwing stones. I made this point a year ago to Carolina bashers in our fanbase and before this McGee/Powell issue.

We're in no better position throwing stones at UNC than LPT is throwing stones at us. And spare me a debate how bad these episodes are compared to each another.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: CardsFirst
That ain't the point... When you live in a glass house, you're an idiot throwing stones. I made this point a year ago to Carolina bashers in our fanbase and before this McGee/Powell issue.

We're in no better position throwing stones at UNC than LPT is throwing stones at us. And spare me a debate how bad these episodes are compared to each another, like nccardfan is trying to do.

Zippisms at its best!! The first paragraph Zipp links the Carolina situation with ours and the the 2nd paragraph he scolds me for pointing out similarities and differences. Thanks for the chuckle...

And I didn't even ask for the guy to help me make my point.

Please cease fire and go to your respective corners. There is no reason you can't both "do you" without mentioning each other.

We're in no better position throwing stones at UNC than LPT is throwing stones at us. And spare me a debate how bad these episodes are compared to each another.

Everyone cheats. Too much money and too much to lose without trying. The point is ...It seems that there's a small handful that get to live in brick houses. 100k jewelry loans (wouldn't a respectable merchant lawsuit be stronger evidence than any hoe's deposition?) and grade rigging? And then the outrage/ESPN investigations into a college party with strippers?

Last edited:
Everyone cheats. Too much money and too much to lose without trying. The point is ...It seems that there's a small handful that get to live in brick houses. 100k jewelry loans (wouldn't a respectable merchant lawsuit be stronger evidence than any hoe's deposition?) and grade rigging? And then the outrage/ESPN investigations into a college party with strippers?
If I understand your point, let's not blame the NCAA or the system for us sitting home while UNC nearly wins another championship. We gave ourselves a postseason ban, no one else did. Carolina is letting the process play out. And time will tell whether those were the right decisions by each school.

If I understand your point, let's not blame the NCAA or the system for us sitting home while UNC nearly wins another championship. We gave ourselves a postseason ban, no one else did. Carolina is letting the process play out. And time will tell whether those were the right decisions by each school.

I am actually pleased that we have an AD who wanted to get out in front of this instead of waiting, and waiting, and waiting for an outcome that could end up being devastating to the program. He's being proactive to a fault according to some. UNC took a different path and it might pay off for them. It probably will. Being a brand new member to the big boy table, I don't think we had much choice but to be proactive.

Reactions: nccardfan

nm

Last edited:
I am actually pleased that we have an AD who wanted to get out in front of this instead of waiting, and waiting, and waiting for an outcome that could end up being devastating to the program. He's being proactive to a fault according to some. UNC took a different path and it might pay off for them. It probably will. Being a brand new member to the big boy table, I don't think we had much choice but to be proactive.
Cue, the only issue with your POV is I'm not at all sure that Jurich was behind the ban. I'm 100% a Jurich supporter, and if I truly thought that this was his invention, I'd agree with you. But if you believe what people were saying on February 5th--and not Pitino a day later--this was Doc's decision. Supposedly, Jurich was part of the investigation and like Pitino not privy to what Ramsey and Smrt were. Only when the lynch mob was forming did this become Jurich's decision. And if you try to read people at that presser, Jurich who's the one guy we want to hear from the most, said the least.

I believe this was in fact Ramsey's and Smrt's decision, and both players in that capacity bother me quite a bit. I'm not one of the Doc haters out there. But his track record in making athletic department decisions of this magnitude is limited. Jurich is the man. And I reflect back on how he handled the Clint Hurtt show-cause ruling by the NCAA to guide me on how he handles tough decisions. In the near future, we'll know one way or the other whether Ramsey just dragged us all onto that sword.

Reactions: OneEarWonder
Cue, the only issue with your POV is I'm not at all sure that Jurich was behind the ban. I'm 100% a Jurich supporter, and if I truly thought that this was his invention, I'd agree with you. But if you believe what people were saying on February 5th--and not Pitino a day later--this was Doc's decision. Supposedly, Jurich was part of the investigation and like Pitino not privy to what Ramsey and Smrt were. Only when the lynch mob was forming did this become Jurich's decision. And if you try to read people at that presser, Jurich who's the one guy we want to hear from the most, said the least.

I believe this was in fact Ramsey's and Smrt's decision, and both players in that capacity bother me quite a bit. I'm not one of the Doc haters out there. But his track record in making athletic department decisions of this magnitude is limited. Jurich is the man. And I reflect back on how he handled the Clint Hurtt show-cause ruling by the NCAA to guide me on how he handles tough decisions. In the near future, we'll know one way or the other whether Ramsey just dragged us all onto that sword.

I'm sorry but you are just nieve to think that Ramsay acted alone and then again on these sanctions. He's in so much hot water and scrutiny he would be dumb to take more action. Also Smrt is a paid consultant, he's not a U of L employee, he's not making the decision when the only person who should be is the AD. I think Tom is just fulfilling his obligations by not being able to say anything because he does not want to jeopardize the University.

I'm sorry but you are just nieve to think that Ramsay acted alone and then again on these sanctions. He's in so much hot water and scrutiny he would be dumb to take more action. Also Smrt is a paid consultant, he's not a U of L employee, he's not making the decision when the only person who should be is the AD. I think Tom is just fulfilling his obligations by not being able to say anything because he does not want to jeopardize the University.
Then, why did Ramsey say "I" and "my" a half dozen times during the presser and in his letter to boosters and alumni? Flies in the face of what you're saying.

Like I said, the story only changed when banners started hanging off of buildings and people were ready to run him out of town. And BTW, I've never heard Ramsey himself change that story.

It's like the president of the US, anything and everything that happens at U of L, whether we agree or not falls under the responsibility of the President. If he starts saying that's the AD's responsibility or CRP's that only demonstrates to the NCAA, there is a lack of institutional control at U of L and while we may WANT Ramsey to say as you put it, fall on the sword, this is clearly an athletics issue not an academic one. Putting the blame on someone else does nothing for the NCAA.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT