ADVERTISEMENT

Besides Payne Returning Who Do You NOT Want As UofL Coach?

shadow force

Jun 8, 2010
Are there any potential coaching candidates that you don't want as the next Cards coach- provided they get rid of Payne after the season ends?

Hoping Mick is not the pick. I’m torn on Beard. The guy is an outstanding coach. He wasn’t convicted but it’s also hard to read that arrest report and think that nothing happened. Knowing our luck he’d punch someone and we’d have to fire him in the middle of the season.

Reactions: UofLouisville
Unless we hire a fence post anything would be an upgrade..

There's a lot of coaches I wouldn't want as my first choice though..

• Haha
Reactions: BPGhost
Hoping Mick is not the pick. I’m torn on Beard. The guy is an outstanding coach. He wasn’t convicted but it’s also hard to read that arrest report and think that nothing happened. Knowing our luck he’d punch someone and we’d have to fire him in the middle of the season.
I wish Kenny would punch someone, but I am pretty sure that lame ass does not have any fight in him, anywhere.

Reactions: UofLouisville
Cronin was fortunate to end up at UCLA when he did. He ended up with guys that played for 6 years and they where solid players. They are gone now and it doesn't seem he was able to reload.

Reactions: Ipartiedwithhopgood
Cronin was fortunate to end up at UCLA when he did. He ended up with guys that played for 6 years and they where solid players. They are gone now and it doesn't seem he was able to reload.
Also while it was a huge deal that ucla made it to the final four it is also important to note that they damn near didn’t make the tourney. They were in the First four as an 11 seed. There is some thought that the last bid was between us and them. Had we beat Duke in the ACC tourney (we had already beat Duke on Feb 27) then UCLA almost assuredly wouldn’t have been in the ncaa tourney to make a run.

Great question Shadow......its very hard to say bc there are very few cant miss coaches anymore. The game has changed so much, I dont know how anyone maintains solid footing in todays college basketball landscape. I dont really see any legends in the making, not to say there aren't just no one really stands out in that light.

I would rather not have Mick, but would take him over KP and thats really how feel about almost everyone outside of Beard and maybe Drew. Pitino, Self, Izzo, and probably Sampson are the last of that dying breed, so I am interested to see who steps up and builds a long standing program. Hurley seems the most obvious to do that, but is he in the middle of a dream ride or is he that good??

The first thing is, of course, getting rid of Payne. After that it's true that pretty much any coach would be better than him.

Coaches have to juggle so much now. They have to manage players, portal, NIL, and multiple transfers year by year. It makes it both easier for quick turnarounds with a lot of success and easier to have a down year if you screw up any combination of the things listed.

That said, you have to look at the full body of work of a potential new coach, especially what he's done the last few years in this new era. Just looking at one or just the current season probably isn't enough. Kind of like looking at Pitino being near .500 then saying he can't coach when he's a good coach.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT