ADVERTISEMENT

Beginning of the End for Governor's Cup?

The way bowl games are being skipped by players I'm much less inclined to go to a bowl today than I am a neutral season opener.

If teams are having home attendance problems, Bowls are facing a serious problem.

The only real way to make the bowl system strong again is having a 16 team team playoff. Eight bowls in round one, four bowls in round two, two bowls in round three, and the champion ship round. So you now have 15 bowl games that mean something. In fact, if you use 32 teams, then you have 31 bowl games and they all have value! This would save the bowl system and increase revenue for the schools.

Last edited by a moderator:
Drifting off topic but got to be careful with extending the playoffs to too many teams - got a lot of big games last weekend of the season if you have teams clinching playoff spots with nothing but pride and a rivalry riding on the final game - key players sit.

Meaning, the rivalry games become even less meaningful.

Maybe not that far off topic.

Reactions: zipp
Drifting off topic but got to be careful with extending the playoffs to too many teams - got a lot of big games last weekend of the season if you have teams clinching playoff spots with nothing but pride and a rivalry riding on the final game - key players sit.

Meaning, the rivalry games become even less meaningful.

Maybe not that far off topic.
If rivalry games and conference playoff games are the casualty of a better playoff system, I'm down for that...

Reactions: wilkie01
If rivalry games and conference playoff games are the casualty of a better playoff system, I'm down for that...

It comes down to a fan's values. I can understand both sides. We've yet to see a scenario I described because we're sitting at a 4 team playoff. But if we move it to 16, which I could see happening at some point, it changes more than just the playoff.

Who's idea was it to play Alabama? LOL

44-17
maxresdefault.jpg

Reactions: zipp and Deeva
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT