ADVERTISEMENT

Beginning of the End for Governor's Cup?

UofL certainly does not need to play UK but they should play UK. Here’s why:

- it is considered a rivalry game, so it has some appeal to ESPN as it fits nicely in their TV lineup of rivalry week
- at the end of the season the game draws better than most other alternatives
- usually we will win and we then get credit for a Power 5 win
- it’s tough to envision any major P5 schools signing up for a tough non-conference game at the end of the season. Most schools are looking to lock in a win.

And your last “bullet point and sentence” is exactly why the coward kitties don’t want this game to be the last game of the season or, actually, want it at all. We are clearly the far better football program and they just cannot stand that. I like the rivalary game weekend because it gives us continued stance as a good P5 football program. The vast majority of college sports fans understand and accept that we are a major power in basketball and for them to see us in a P5 rivalary football game is good for our image even though most real football fans understand uahkay sucks at football and is not a good representative of $ec football.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

Yeah, I said the Cards don't need to play them either. Your reading comprehension level is really low. To the floor.

I understand when I post, you get really excited. Here's something else to keep your juices flowing.

images
Haha! I’m not the one who had to make 5 separate posts..

UofL certainly does not need to play UK but they should play UK. Here’s why:

- it is considered a rivalry game, so it has some appeal to ESPN as it fits nicely in their TV lineup of rivalry week
- at the end of the season the game draws better than most other alternatives
- usually we will win and we then get credit for a Power 5 win
- it’s tough to envision any major P5 schools signing up for a tough non-conference game at the end of the season. Most schools are looking to lock in a win.
And here's why it shouldn't be played...

- It's only relevant as a "rivalry" in Kentucky and among a few remaining fans of both schools. It has no relevance for 98% of the nation.

- The conferences force the game to be played at season's end where it draws less than before and attracts less attention. It's why the game is now buried inconspicuously in a noon time slot.

- While we usually win, the games we lose are magnified 10X the wins. IOW the game has asymmetric outcomes, positive for them and negative for us.

- We don't need a major draw for the last weekend of the season. If we can get a good P5 replacement, it will draw at least as well as LPT.

- If we replace LPT with a directional school in a given season, that's an extra home game every other year. Worth about $2 million to us each time that occurs.

- The slapd!cks don't care about their football program, so there's no reason we should care any longer either.

A rival is not a school or program that you don't respect. Alabama can't stomach Auburn, but they respect them. St. X respects Trinity. Does any U of L fan respect LPT?...

Reactions: Morgantown Card

- It's only relevant as a "rivalry" in Kentucky and among a few remaining fans of both schools. It has no relevance for 98% of the nation.

- The conferences force the game to be played at season's end where it draws less than before and attracts less attention. It's why the game is now buried inconspicuously in a noon time slot.

- While we usually win, the games we lose are magnified 10X the wins. IOW the game has asymmetric outcomes, positive for them and negative for us.

- We don't need a major draw for the last weekend of the season. If we can get a good P5 replacement, it will draw at least as well as LPT.

- If we replace LPT with a directional school in a given season, that's an extra home game every other year. Worth about $2 million to us each time that occurs.

- The slapd!cks don't care about their football program, so there's no reason we should care any longer either.

A rival is not a school or program that you don't respect. Alabama can't stomach Auburn, but they respect them. St. X respects Trinity. Does any U of L fan respect LPT?...
Last I checked I do live in Kentucky. I don’t care what the rest of the country thinks. I certainly don’t care about Miss St/Ole Miss. The only reason people seemingly care about Auburn/Alabama is that it usually has CFP implications. Even if those teams were unranked (unimaginable) they would still want to play because they’re rivals based on dislike not respect. Was it respect when they killed those trees? I’m sorry you want a better rival but it’s not your choice or mine.

Reactions: SoulSr and Mayoman
Last I checked I do live in Kentucky. I don’t care what the rest of the country thinks. I certainly don’t care about Miss St/Ole Miss. The only reason people seemingly care about Auburn/Alabama is that it usually has CFP implications. Even if those teams were unranked (unimaginable) they would still want to play because they’re rivals based on dislike not respect. Was it respect when they killed those trees? I’m sorry you want a better rival but it’s not your choice or mine.

Exactly. You could almost say, even feel, a certain degree of respectful dislike bordering on the hate/love emotions....so many competitors have for the other. (I.E. "How could we lose to those bums, but it sure feels good beating them again....and again, and again....to shut them up for even a little while each year as to who is the best team/program, etc."):D:p

One other point....anyone who says that they know for sure what 98% of the rest of country thinks or does or doesn't care about the game is full of ish.

No one knows or could possibly know.....one could develop this POV through personal bias but not with any degree of certainty.....it is foolish to state otherwise....and there are those foolish enough on this board who believe that very notion...and try to pass that off as fact when it is not to speak for all UofL fans.:rolleyes::rolleyes:o_Oo_O;);) You know who you are.

Exactly. You could almost say, even feel, a certain degree of respectful dislike bordering on the hate/love emotions....so many competitors have for the other. (I.E. "How could we lose to those bums, but it sure feels good beating them again....and again, and again....to shut them up for even a little while each year as to who is the best team/program, etc."):D:p

One other point....anyone who says that they know for sure what 98% of the rest of country thinks or does or doesn't care about the game is full of ish.

No one knows or could possibly know.....one could develop this POV through personal bias but not with any degree of certainty.....it is foolish to state otherwise....and there are those foolish enough on this board who believe that very notion...and try to pass that off as fact when it is not to speak for all UofL fans.:rolleyes::rolleyes:o_Oo_O;);) You know who you are.
There's no guessing involved. The basketball game has far more national relevance, and it barely registers on national TV ratings. Again, the football game is always at noon on a second-tier ESPN channel. It's meaningless.

You can respect LPT football, but that's not most fans. Again, ask them...

Nor should they. There's no reason for anyone to respect or seriously discuss their football program. Least of whom, us. They're a joke and a laughingstock...
And yet more proof why they want to beat us so bad and why we shouldn’t lose to them, but yet it happens, hopefully not this year or the next or the next...

There's no guessing involved. The basketball game has far more national relevance, and it barely registers on national TV ratings. Again, the football game is always at noon on a second-tier ESPN channel. It's meaningless.

Actually the basketball game is consistently one of the highest ranked TV games of the year. You made this statement many times in the past and you continue now repeating it despite the data that disproves your thought.

A few additional thoughts

- ESPN likes to include it in their rivalry week coverage and the ACC likes to generally count on the win, so there is an appetite for the game outside of KY.

- Look at the slate of games for that week. There are zero games involving respectable programs that are non-conference non-rivalry games. So to simply state, we “need a good P5 replacement” just isn’t realistic option based on the known data

Actually the basketball game is consistently one of the highest ranked TV games of the year. You made this statement many times in the past and you continue now repeating it despite the data that disproves your thought.
That's because college basketball sucks nationally during the regular season. You like being the biggest goldfish in the bowl. I'd prefer more relevancy. Why not be discussing the women's lacrosse team?...

A few additional thoughts

- ESPN likes to include it in their rivalry week coverage and the ACC likes to generally count on the win, so there is an appetite for the game outside of KY...
LOL at the ACC valuing U of L because of its football game with LPT. I've heard Swafford speak on numerous occasions, and that's never been mentioned. Good try.
...- Look at the slate of games for that week. There are zero games involving respectable programs that are non-conference non-rivalry games. So to simply state, we “need a good P5 replacement” just isn’t realistic option based on the known data
Or one team wearing red and the opponent wearing blue which has about the same relevancy. You don't know who's available to play that final game until you ask. The SEC is where I would start because the slappies have always wanted out of the game...

My opinion as a fan is that I like the game. But, LOL. Good Lord. Talk about a verbal bitch-slap. If I were a cayut fan and this was said to me, I'd just cry and go home.

It's meaningless to you and other fans of your ilk.....but not to all fans,especially those fans in KY and elsewhere(other states or countries) who enjoy rivalry games. Otherwise, why would the almighty ESPN televise it at all if there was no audience for it? Foolishness at its finest. And Tier 1,2 or 3 ESPN is still ESPN and is nationally telecast. Makes no difference to me and those like me which platform it is on....that dog don't hunt.

Not everyone....and likely not the majority agree with your biased POV....and that eats you up inside. I know you will reply to this because you always have to have the last word on an issue. So go ahead and knock yourself out.

Additionally, there are fans that prefer a noon kickoff for various reasons and it is nice to be the first game of for the day for those of us who do like that time of kick off. Another moot bogus point you seem to love.

Reactions: SoulSr

Let's ask WildCard and others who are not haters of all things UK. How about that?

LOL at the ACC valuing U of L because of its football game with LPT. I've heard Swafford speak on numerous occasions, and that's never been mentioned. Good try.

Or one team wearing red and the opponent wearing blue which has about the same relevancy. You don't know who's available to play that final game until you ask. The SEC is where I would start because the slappies have always wanted out of the game...

Every SEC school has either a conference game or non-conference rivalry game that week.

It's meaningless to you and other fans of your ilk...
I don't know who "ilk" includes, but TV ratings drive the bus. This football "rivalry" game is where it's supposed to be--at a time and place where no one watches it
Let's ask WildCard and others who are not haters of all things UK. How about that?
No offense to WC, but anecdotal evidence is even less important...

I don't know who "ilk" includes, but TV ratings drive the bus. This football "rivalry" game is where it's supposed to be--at a time and place where no one watches it

No offense to WC, but anecdotal evidence is even less important...

Wonder why ESPN televises the game then when as you say...no one watches it?

It was your idea....to ask others...not mine.

Ilk is in the dictionary....perhaps look it up. Here:( noun, Type or kind.)

LINK

19th most watchable game on the final weekend last season, just ahead of Boise-Fresno.

That's relevancy, baby...

LINK

19th most watchable game on the final weekend last season, just ahead of Boise-Fresno.

That's relevancy, baby...

That's what I would expect from a STATS man like you. This is not ratings for which games were actually watched, etc.....it was a 'proprietary model that gives a watchability score, etc, etc'.....see below explanation of the system.

IOW, theoritical STATs that means something only to those who believe in that ish. A biased prediction and not a FACT!!! This is just useless information and not reality. Your perception makes it your reality, but it is not based in fact and rational folks readily dismiss such ish for what it is....agenda driven ish.....and not my reality. Let that sink in...I do not buy it as accurate or truthful to this conversation.

From the article. "STATS’ data experts have developed a proprietary model that gives a watchability score to every college football game in a given week. That rating is a combination of analytics, including the projected score of each game from a model that factors in team production, explosiveness and “cleanliness” of play – a metric that includes turnovers, among other data points.

Team production includes evaluations of run and pass efficiency, explosive plays (20+ yards) and the defensive ratings also involved with the aforementioned metrics. Watchability Rating takes that data combined with talent level of each team based on other various STATS models and is adjusted based on the projected final score to produce a value of watchability.

Essentially, the model takes some randomness out of choosing which game to view, making for less channel-flipping while relaxing at home or fewer maneuvers through a bar crowd to place yourself nearest the television broadcasting a certain contest."

ME: Sic, sic: "a value of watchibility" WTH?
or a value of horse manure more like it.

That's what I would expect from a STATS man like you. This is not ratings for which games were actually watched, etc.....it was a 'proprietary model that gives a watchability score, etc, etc'.....see below explanation of the system.

IOW, theoritical STATs that means something only to those who believe in that ish. A biased prediction and not a FACT!!! This is just useless information and not reality. Your perception makes it your reality, but it is not based in fact and rational folks readily dismiss such ish for what it is....agenda driven ish.....and not my reality. Let that sink in...I do not buy it as accurate or truthful to this conversation.

From the article. "STATS’ data experts have developed a proprietary model that gives a watchability score to every college football game in a given week. That rating is a combination of analytics, including the projected score of each game from a model that factors in team production, explosiveness and “cleanliness” of play – a metric that includes turnovers, among other data points.

Team production includes evaluations of run and pass efficiency, explosive plays (20+ yards) and the defensive ratings also involved with the aforementioned metrics. Watchability Rating takes that data combined with talent level of each team based on other various STATS models and is adjusted based on the projected final score to produce a value of watchability.

Essentially, the model takes some randomness out of choosing which game to view, making for less channel-flipping while relaxing at home or fewer maneuvers through a bar crowd to place yourself nearest the television broadcasting a certain contest."

ME: Sic, sic: "a value of watchibility" WTH?
or a value of horse manure more like it.
So your analytics are???....

TidalDisruptions_HP_1440x6101.gif

So your analytics are???....

TidalDisruptions_HP_1440x6101.gif

Theoretical analytics is sorta like the Big Bang Theory.....we gotta start somewhere with this made up horse shit. Fitting that you eat that stuff up.

When you want to you just change the theory into a fact that does not exist. Have fun with that one oh great one. You are way to trusting of some made up model when it suits your agenda. Not so much when it doesn't:rolleyes::oops:o_O:D:D:D Who is the clown show now? With your juvenile pics, etc.

Theoretical analytics is sorta like the Big Bang Theory.....we gotta start somewhere with this made up horse shit. Fitting that you eat that stuff up.

When you want to you just change the theory into a fact that does not exist. Have fun with that one oh great one. You are way to trusting of some made up model when it suits your agenda. Not so much when it doesn't:rolleyes::oops:o_O:D:D:D Who is the clown show now? With your juvenile pics, etc.
So all of that means you don't have any analytics?

(BTW, that was a black hole...)

So all of that means you don't have any analytics?

(BTW, that was a black hole...)

And neither do you. What was the actual TV ratings on how many tuned in to compare to what was predicted as most watchable vs actually watched. That data would show factual results and not just predictions of a 'sic, model'.....I know you understand that.

I knew there was an excuse.

And I foo-barred... Hell, the game doesn't even justify 2nd or 3rd tier ESPN broadcasts anymore...

In 2016, it was on ESPN and rated as the 8th most watched game that day including games on the major networks.

And neither do you. What was the actual TV ratings on how many tuned in to compare to what was predicted as most watchable vs actually watched. That data would show factual results and not just predictions of a 'sic, model'.....I know you understand that.
Your no-analytics are better than mine. Got it...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT