ADVERTISEMENT

Beginning of the End for Governor's Cup?

Just my opinion but I can't see The SEC and mainly ESPN, both The ACC and SEC's broadcast partner allowing UK to walk away from one of its Rivalry Saturday match-ups. The Saturday after Thanksgiving has become a quasi SEC/ACC football challenge with our game along with Clemson/South Carolina and Georgia Tech/Georgia.

I would look for ESPN to push both conferences to play each other more because of the SEC/ACC Networks, not less. Maybe add Florida State or Miami / Florida to the slate of games.

UK can whine all they want about having too many tough games. Playing Louisville every year on ESPN on Rivalry Saturday is something they'll have to do to earn that big SEC football paycheck every year. Isn't it the least they can do.
CJ

Just my opinion but I can't see The SEC and mainly ESPN, both The ACC and SEC's broadcast partner allowing UK to walk away from one of its Rivalry Saturday match-ups. The Saturday after Thanksgiving has become a quasi SEC/ACC football challenge with our game along with Clemson/South Carolina and Georgia Tech/Georgia.

I would look for ESPN to push both conferences to play each other more because of the SEC/ACC Networks, not less. Maybe add Florida State or Miami / Florida to the slate of games.

UK can whine all they want about having too many tough games. Playing Louisville every year on ESPN on Rivalry Saturday is something they'll have to do to earn that big SEC football paycheck every year. Isn't it the least they can do.
CJ

Good point. FYI Florida State plays Florida each year. The in state rivals are the most entertaining games to me.

The issue of losing to slappies in football is two-fold: (1) it WILL happen at some frequency, and (2) how does the fanbase react? I'm fine playing the game if a majority of fans in that situation say "no big deal--a blind squirrel finds an acorn occasionally." But experience shows that is NOT what happens.

That's the problem; the negative is far more significant than the positive. And you're stupid continuing to play a game with asymmetric outcomes, not to mention, we give up a home game every other year presently that costs us a couple million. Another P5 school replacing LPT would still be home-and-home, but at least it might be a better opponent.

Playing slapd!cks in any sport besides basketball makes no sense, and I can argue it doesn't help us much in basketball...

While I understand everything your saying, I don't think your taking into account the fact that high school football in the state is on the rise. The class of 2019 and 2020 has some kids that could really help both programs and until Stoops proves otherwise Petrino clearly is better at developing talent, especially for kids with higher aspirations. Why quit the series even if the blind squirrel finds an acorn occasionally, Louisville has perpetually ruled the series, kids see that.

While I understand everything your saying, I don't think your taking into account the fact that high school football in the state is on the rise...
The issue is there's really no evidence that this game matters to KY kids playing high school football...

The issue is there's really no evidence that this game matters to KY kids playing high school football...

So where is the evidence that it doesn't matter to KY kids playing high school football? That sword cuts both ways as you know.

So where is the evidence that it doesn't matter to KY kids playing high school football? That sword cuts both ways as you know.
This thread is about or has morphed into reasons to play the game. And not reasons NOT to. The particular point was raised to justify playing the game; I didn't bring it up...

Ok let me put it like this I have a high school senior who's being recruited as a D1 football player. Does he really care if Louisville plays UK absolutely not. Does he look at who's winning the game from year to year and would that affect his decision if he was offered by both schools absolutely. Yes there are other factors in play but I promise you if UK offered I'd rather he take his offer from Woodford that he's strongly considering if Louisville offered then he'd better be arranging a visit. The persona is, and will be as long as Louisville continues to dominate the series, that U of L is a program on the rise while UK continues to be subpar. Need more proof then who's been getting the in state recruits over the last few years, it ain't UK!!

Ok let me put it like this I have a high school senior who's being recruited as a D1 football player. Does he really care if Louisville plays UK absolutely not. Does he look at who's winning the game from year to year and would that affect his decision if he was offered by both schools absolutely. Yes there are other factors in play but I promise you if UK offered I'd rather he take his offer from Woodford that he's strongly considering if Louisville offered then he'd better be arranging a visit. The persona is, and will be as long as Louisville continues to dominate the series, that U of L is a program on the rise while UK continues to be subpar. Need more proof then who's been getting the in state recruits over the last few years, it ain't UK!!
Understood, but does it take U of L beating up on LPT in football to demonstrate that we have the much better program? I hope not...

The persona is, and will be as long as Louisville continues to dominate the series, that U of L is a program on the rise while UK continues to be subpar.
But.....

It's been this way for the last 57 years. (Since 1961 when uk fired the last HC with a winning record) KYHS FB players have been watching uk struggle year after year after year........and just keep going there. Like sheep to the slaughter. Never making a difference.

Apparently they just LOVE being in the shadow of the BB team their whole career.

Playing this game make NO difference to 95% of the players out in the state IMO. If they grew up blue, they'll die blue. If they're sharp, and are watching the standings and the drafts, they will go anywhere but uk.

Maybe even UL.

But.....

It's been this way for the last 57 years. (Since 1961 when uk fired the last HC with a winning record) KYHS FB players have been watching uk struggle year after year after year........and just keep going there. Like sheep to the slaughter. Never making a difference.

Apparently they just LOVE being in the shadow of the BB team their whole career.

Playing this game make NO difference to 95% of the players out in the state IMO. If they grew up blue, they'll die blue. If they're sharp, and are watching the standings and the drafts, they will go anywhere but uk.

Maybe even UL.
True...if you want to go to the league you can either go and play for Bobby who puts guys there year in and year out, or play for poops who didnt even have a players name called on draft day last year.

True...if you want to go to the league you can either go and play for Bobby who puts guys there year in and year out, or play for poops who didnt even have a players name called on draft day last year.
But wait! Next year they should have up to 18 guys picked.

There really isn't a reason not to play the game. Within the next few years, I see P5 conferences going to 9 conference games, which leaves 3 non-conference. I, also think 2 out of 3 of those will be against P5 schools (if you want to compete for playoff spots), so if we have an in-state rival that causes excitement for both fanbases (and we just happen to beat most years), why not keep it.

Understood, but does it take U of L beating up on LPT in football to demonstrate that we have the much better program? I hope not...
Yes it does. That’s how you demonstrate superiority: beating the other guy.

If we replaced LPT with another $EC or Big XII school, you may have a case, but I fear we would just plug in Murray State or Marshall. Let’s not be the one to walk away. They avoided us for years and made all kinds of excuses for not playing us. If they walk out with a modern losing record, so be it. They just admitted they can’t beat us and never will consistently. That would be sweet.

Clearly we are the better football program, and by a huge margin. We have big time bowl games and a much higher placement in a very good P5 conference and uahkay has absolutely none of that. Plus we place guys in the NFL and uahkay not so much. But I do like proving our superiority on the field soooooo, yes, I’m in favor of continuing the series. And, guess what, so is the ACC and the $ec and those are the guys that call the shots. And that’s the way things are in college football here in the Commonwealth.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

I don't think we would replace LPT with a Murray St. We need the nonconference SOS help most years, and LPT doesn't help that. We also need to keep people coming to games. This "rivalry" game is already losing attendance.

A nine-game conference schedule--which is inevitable--will just obsolete the series more...

But.....

Maybe even UL.

There's an element to truth in this however football isn't basketball I see more kids leaning your way in football, I'd be surprised if the Robinson kid doesn't go to Bama and commits to Louisville

Not necessarily but it sure doesn't hurt imo
That's just weak sauce. It "doesn't hurt" playing Western every year, but we don't do it. And playing Western doesn't cost us a home game every other year...

Perhaps conferences going to a 9 game schedule would make an annual game versus uahkay obsolete but I don’t think so. I don’t believe either the ACC or $ec want to give up the “rivalary weekend”. Apparently there is a good deal of money generated for the conferences and, therefore, for their members. And I’m not sure there’s another potential game that would really take the place of the uahkay game. Perhaps an annual game versus WVU might do the trick and it would most certainly be far more beneficial for our SOS. But I cannot come up with another potential “P5 rival” that would really be interested in doing a home and home with UofL. Maybe IU or Purdue (and Purdue might be better for our SOS) but no $ec school. You’ll have to come up with someone better than uahkay that would peak the interest of UofL fans. And please don’t say Cincy. Plus they ain’t P5. WTH they don’t even go to their home games much less travel to Louisville for a game in numbers that would actually pay for themselves. Just my own opinions here.

That's just weak sauce. It "doesn't hurt" playing Western every year, but we don't do it. And playing Western doesn't cost us a home game every other year...
As I have said before, Western is not a true rival. Not speaking from a competitive POV, we just don’t “hate” Western like we do the kitties or anyone else for that matter. Throw out all the extraneous factors, records, whatever... I just enjoy beating the cats every opportunity we get, in whatever we do. Tiddlywinks, cornhole, beer pong, etc. When we get to the level of the Alabama’s, Clemson’s, etc. I might think differently but I doubt it.

PS - I think a good comparison is Clemson and South Carolina. I lived in Charlotte for 25 years and know the rivalry well but still don’t believe it comes close to ours. There is a lot of hate there, sort of state school vs urban school with USC being the city school. Go ask Clemson fans if they want to give up beating on their arch rival? These things go in cycles. When spurrier was there, USC was top dog. Now Carolina just needs to find a coach that can beat Clemson. Ask any Gamecock fan and he’ll tell you the same.

Last edited:
Reactions: gocds
"Doesn't hurt" doesn't read like "hate" to me.

There are also thousands of empty seats now showing up with "hate" for each of these "rivalry" games.

A lotta quotation marks in there nowadays 'cuz I don't believe most of those terms apply, at least not anymore...

Perhaps conferences going to a 9 game schedule would make an annual game versus uahkay obsolete but I don’t think so. I don’t believe either the ACC or $ec want to give up the “rivalary weekend”. Apparently there is a good deal of money generated for the conferences and, therefore, for their members. And I’m not sure there’s another potential game that would really take the place of the uahkay game. Perhaps an annual game versus WVU might do the trick and it would most certainly be far more beneficial for our SOS. But I cannot come up with another potential “P5 rival” that would really be interested in doing a home and home with UofL. Maybe IU or Purdue (and Purdue might be better for our SOS) but no $ec school. You’ll have to come up with someone better than uahkay that would peak the interest of UofL fans. And please don’t say Cincy. Plus they ain’t P5. WTH they don’t even go to their home games much less travel to Louisville for a game in numbers that would actually pay for themselves. Just my own opinions here...
I don't believe there's one extra dime in revenue to the ACC and SEC for those weekend games. Most would be on TV anyway because of the teams involved.

If anything, I recall that the LPT game used to be in more primetime locations on the schedule before we moved to the ACC. That was at least true for the Louisville home games...

Clearly we are the better football program, and by a huge margin. We have big time bowl games and a much higher placement in a very good P5 conference, and a Heisman trophy. and uahkay has absolutely none of that. Plus we place guys in the NFL and uahkay not so much. But I do like proving our superiority on the field soooooo, yes, I’m in favor of continuing the series. And, guess what, so is the ACC and the $ec and those are the guys that call the shots. And that’s the way things are in college football here in the Commonwealth.

Fixed it for ya

Reactions: gocds
"Doesn't hurt" doesn't read like "hate" to me.

There are also thousands of empty seats now showing up with "hate" for each of these "rivalry" games.

A lotta quotation marks in there nowadays 'cuz I don't believe most of those terms apply, at least not anymore...
The issue isn’t the series itself it’s whether by the time they play whether the game has extra meaning or value. If there’s nothing at stake but bragging rights, because of TV, people don’t spend the money and stay home. If say a team has 1 loss and has aspirations for the CFP the team has more to play for. Or if one team is trying to keep one team from being bowl eligible, the fans are more into it. I seem to remember not too long ago, the coaches and players getting into a ruckus. Both sides claim the other one started it but doesn’t matter, that’s emotion. You can’t say you would get that from UC, Memphis State or Tennessee every year. Maybe if both teams were undefeated but that’s unlikely as both UK and U of L being undefeated.

Zipp I don't care if they play or not it's honestly not a game I even worry about watching so I understand exactly what your saying, I still think it helps you recruiting wise but that's just me.

Reactions: zipp
It was very clear who started the fight.

Not only that, but it was clear that it was orchestrated.

Then, last year, they tried to get LJ kicked out of the game when THEY assaulted HIM.

They're poorly coached, and because of this they're dirty and undisciplined.

As a fan, I like the game. It's also a reliable P5 win in years that Steve Kragthorpe isn't the head coach.

If UK is dropped, I'd like to see a home & home series with WVU. They became a fun rival during the Big East years. They are pretty aggressive in their OOC scheduling so this is very doable. I can tell you their fans would love the game because so few of their away games are drivable.

Cards need to play UK about as badly as the Cards need to play IU or Vandy.

Well, since IU and Vandy are not located in the state of Kentucky you might be onto something. NOT!

And they are both worse opponents than uk is currently....not that that matters to folks who want to emulate the late Adolph's mantra. That elitist attitude just refuses to die out though 50 years after his coaching demise.

Well, since IU and Vandy are not located in the state of Kentucky you might be onto something. NOT!

And they are both worse opponents than uk is currently..

IU and Vandy may not be inside the KY border but those two garbage programs mirror UK's program close enough for the context of this discussion. So no it really doesn't matter if UK wins the pillow fight if the 3 are locked in a room.

This is like arguing about which restaurant is better, Denny's or Applebee's, or Olive Garden. Seriously - They all suck, no matter what they do with a menu, and that's a universal opinion.

And it's not like I said remove them from the schedule, I just said UofL doesn't need to play UK, because they don't.

IU and Vandy may not be inside the KY border but those two garbage programs mirror UK's program close enough for the context of this discussion. So no it really doesn't matter if UK wins the pillow fight if the 3 are locked in a room.

This is like arguing about which restaurant is better, Denny's or Applebee's, or Olive Garden. Seriously - They all suck, no matter what they do with a menu, and that's a universal opinion.

And it's not like I said remove them from the schedule, I just said UofL doesn't need to play UK, because they don't.
Your argument fails miserably. You won’t get near the fan interest playing either IU or Vandy and if you’re asking if I want Italian I prefer Olive Garden over Applebee’s or Denny’s hands down.

Tell us who they need to play? Oklahoma, Michigan, Penn State, Texas or maybe you want Bearcats, Tigers and the Herd.

This extreme response is par for you. They don't need to play elite programs out of conference every year either.

Such hostility.

They don't need to play bottom feeders. It's not some extreme slant guy.

Last edited:
You won’t get near the fan interest playing either IU or Vandy .

Yeah, I said the Cards don't need to play them either. Your reading comprehension level is really low. To the floor.

I understand when I post, you get really excited. Here's something else to keep your juices flowing.

images

UofL certainly does not need to play UK but they should play UK. Here’s why:

- it is considered a rivalry game, so it has some appeal to ESPN as it fits nicely in their TV lineup of rivalry week
- at the end of the season the game draws better than most other alternatives
- usually we will win and we then get credit for a Power 5 win
- it’s tough to envision any major P5 schools signing up for a tough non-conference game at the end of the season. Most schools are looking to lock in a win.

Reactions: Mayoman and gocds
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT