ADVERTISEMENT

Beginning of the End for Governor's Cup?

LOL, I rest my case...
What you are not understanding is that unfortunately on a national level, it’s not just UK that doesn’t get respect. Admit it or not, we are still seen as a basketball school and all these issues with the program only damages or harms our football program. That could change if we were to consistently contend for an ACC title but we’re not there yet. So replacing UK with Cincinnati, Memphis, Tennessee won’t change anything and for people who live in KY you would lose fan interest.

Reactions: gocds
Your no-analytics are better than mine. Got it...

You said it.....never thought you would agree with me on anything.o_O:);)

Hey, I can make up things too if you choose to recognize BS.:D At least I am not a sheep blindly following what a few geeks are telling me is the 'Watchability Value Factor" (Oh My) BS to watch or not. Surprised a man of your integrity would accept such BS as factual. ;):)

Only a desperate person would cite this BS to stretch his POV to try to persuade others down that path. Baa! Baa! Bad sheep!

Reactions: gocds
I would hate to see the Governors Cup go. It's a great rivalry. UL and UK actually hate each other. That's what makes it so good and interesting. I could care less if it's not one of the biggest rivalries in college football, or must see TV. It's must see TV in the state and that's all that matters.

Besides, I think the Governors Cup is one reason why high school football has gotten a lot better in the state. It made football reverent and exciting for a lot of kids in the state. Kids that were a husky 6'0" plus and didn't have a natural position on the court have several options on the football field. I honestly think that's why high school basketball has taken a step backwards in the state. Those tweeners are now playing football. Then guys with your typical basketball builds like Mario Urritia, and Devante Parker who would have been pretty good basketball players played football instead.

Even when UK is having a bad season or we are the rivalry games is still exciting.

Plus it's a rivalry game. Who doesn't want to play their rivals? Oregon plays Oregon State every year. Does anybody outside of Oregon care? No. But folks in Oregon do. Same with Utah and Utah State, or any number of in state schools.

What you are not understanding is that unfortunately on a national level, it’s not just UK that doesn’t get respect. Admit it or not, we are still seen as a basketball school and all these issues with the program only damages or harms our football program. That could change if we were to consistently contend for an ACC title but we’re not there yet. So replacing UK with Cincinnati, Memphis, Tennessee won’t change anything and for people who live in KY you would lose fan interest.
U of L has a lot higher higher national standing than LPT. It brings us down to their level making that comparison. Our own fans are the most egregious offenders...

I would hate to see the Governors Cup go. It's a great rivalry. UL and UK actually hate each other. That's what makes it so good and interesting. I could care less if it's not one of the biggest rivalries in college football, or must see TV. It's must see TV in the state and that's all that matters.

Besides, I think the Governors Cup is one reason why high school football has gotten a lot better in the state. It made football reverent and exciting for a lot of kids in the state. Kids that were a husky 6'0" plus and didn't have a natural position on the court have several options on the football field. I honestly think that's why high school basketball has taken a step backwards in the state. Those tweeners are now playing football. Then guys with your typical basketball builds like Mario Urritia, and Devante Parker who would have been pretty good basketball players played football instead.

Even when UK is having a bad season or we are the rivalry games is still exciting.

Plus it's a rivalry game. Who doesn't want to play their rivals? Oregon plays Oregon State every year. Does anybody outside of Oregon care? No. But folks in Oregon do. Same with Utah and Utah State, or any number of in state schools.
We don't like Memphis--they're not on our schedule.

We don't like WVU--they're not on our schedule.

Even schools we respect and with whom we have some history are not on our schedule. All OOC teams are played because you want to, not HAVE to.

There's no cause-and-effect between this game and the prospects for KY high school football. That's discussed and never proven nor is it obvious.

The slappies are at best the 9th most important game on our schedule. This year it might be 10th. That's hardly must-see football...

Memphis and WVU are not in state rivals..

If we or UK were to drop the series do you really think that we would get another power 5 team to fill their spot? Especially since the trend in college football has been to schedule non power 5 OOC games unless it's a special neutral site game?

If nothing else having UK on our schedule gives us a "win" against a team from the SEC. I much rather play them that schedule WKU, Murray State, K State, Elon or some other non power 5 school that does nothing for our SOS.

Uk/UL may not be must see TV around the country, but they are must see TV in the state.

Memphis and WVU are not in state rivals..

If we or UK were to drop the series do you really think that we would get another power 5 team to fill their spot? Especially since the trend in college football has been to schedule non power 5 OOC games unless it's a special neutral site game?

If nothing else having UK on our schedule gives us a "win" against a team from the SEC. I much rather play them that schedule WKU, Murray State, K State, Elon or some other non power 5 school that does nothing for our SOS.

Uk/UL may not be must see TV around the country, but they are must see TV in the state.
You're not a state program any longer. You aspire to the national championship, not to be the best in KY. You're already there anyway, and LPT doesn't care. They don't care about football, just receiving an SEC paycheck.

The trend in big boy college football is to play better teams. And the lesser teams you play should at least bring YOU a paycheck, i.e., a home game. Why are we playing LPT in Lexington every other year?

Playing LPT doesn't help our SOS. And when you lose to them every once in awhile, it's a disgrace and an embarrassment. Sounds like a lose-lose scenario to me...

^^^ This...is all that matters to me. I love it and want to see it continue. My little corner of the world (family and friends) enjoy the hell out of it. I'm not really concerned with who agrees with my preference or what the national media think of it.

Reactions: Mayoman and gocds
There's only one of us "making up things." There are links to each of the statistical references I made...

What you fail to see or admit is that link of statistical reference is still BL...just made up criteria that one can accept or not accept that fits an agenda. Not based in reality Doesn't make it true or false...just made up criteria to try and prove a theory, etc. which does not make it factual.

Come back with the TV ratings of those games and compare that with the prediction and then you have statistical proof. Otherwise you have bogus analytics and you are spitting in the wind of geekhood. How can you not see that? The stat that is relevant is the ACTUAL TV rating not the guessed one by these geeks.

It is meaningless pablum for a geek who loves stats and who only sees that pablum as fact.....which IMO is useless in the grand scheme of things. Or IOW it is horse manure in its degree of relevancy to this discussion. You can believe what ever you want....I can think for myself and recognize horse manure when I see it. Not too amazed that you don't.

I'm getting less excited about the game as time goes because my uk family members are getting used to losing it, and are downplaying it more and more. Especially since we haven't been competitive in BB. They immediately downplay the importance of the FB game, and remind me how good they are in BB.

Now if we start winning in BB more, it will make the FB waayyy more important for me IMO because then they have NOTHING to hang their hat on. ;):p:D

If I were betting, when all is said and done and the truth were known, and drinks are being had in the bar after $EC meetings, MOST of them don't WANT to play uk either. :eek:

What does it do for AL, FL, TN, UGA, USC2, or LSU to HAVE to play uk? They're in the conf and it's required....:mad:.

What are the TV ratings for any of those vs uk? Can't be much.

The $EC lives with uk not only for the sure W it is for it's elites, but also because it LOVES the BB money uk brings in since they don't give a rat about BB. (And they loves the Vandy academic standing)

Quid pro quo

Do the National pundits not slobber on themselves touting the "tough" $EC? If uk is a "good" win for those guys...why is it not for us? uk is part of the "tough" and people need to point that out every chance they get.

I'm getting less excited about the game as time goes because my uk family members are getting used to losing it, and are downplaying it more and more. Especially since we haven't been competitive in BB. They immediately downplay the importance of the FB game, and remind me how good they are in BB.

Now if we start winning in BB more, it will make the FB waayyy more important for me IMO because then they have NOTHING to hang their hat on. ;):p:D

If I were betting, when all is said and done and the truth were known, and drinks are being had in the bar after $EC meetings, MOST of them don't WANT to play uk either. :eek:

What does it do for AL, FL, TN, UGA, USC2, or LSU to HAVE to play uk? They're in the conf and it's required....:mad:.

What are the TV ratings for any of those vs uk? Can't be much.

The $EC lives with uk not only for the sure W it is for it's elites, but also because it LOVES the BB money uk brings in since they don't give a rat about BB. (And they loves the Vandy academic standing)

Quid pro quo

Do the National pundits not slobber on themselves touting the "tough" $EC? If uk is a "good" win for those guys...why is it not for us? uk is part of the "tough" and people need to point that out every chance they get.

You could remind them about the baseball series over the past two or three years. Yeah and remind them that we’ve been to 4 College World Series and then ask them when they were last in Omaha. Just for information purposes only, they’ve NEVER been there. ALL they know or care about is basketball but there’s a whole world of sports out there.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

Reactions: zipp and Mayoman
I want to play Kentucky, and beat Kentucky, every year. It would be even better if they improved to the point that the win was nationally relevant, but beating them is a necessary part of the season, (for me, anyway). CBS Sports just put out a piece on the best football program in each state, and they surmised that even in the post Lamar Jackson world, Louisville is the best team in Kentucky by a wide margin. Now let’s go prove it (again and again).

What you fail to see or admit is that link of statistical reference is still BL...just made up criteria that one can accept or not accept that fits an agenda. Not based in reality Doesn't make it true or false...just made up criteria to try and prove a theory, etc. which does not make it factual.

Come back with the TV ratings of those games and compare that with the prediction and then you have statistical proof. Otherwise you have bogus analytics and you are spitting in the wind of geekhood. How can you not see that? The stat that is relevant is the ACTUAL TV rating not the guessed one by these geeks.

It is meaningless pablum for a geek who loves stats and who only sees that pablum as fact.....which IMO is useless in the grand scheme of things. Or IOW it is horse manure in its degree of relevancy to this discussion. You can believe what ever you want....I can think for myself and recognize horse manure when I see it. Not too amazed that you don't.
I gave you a reference to a stats-based approach--which you liking or disliking is irrelevant--and a list of TV ratings that didn't rank this game in 2017 . Neither proves the game has a national viewing audience.

And you offered no evidence that the game does.

At best, that's a stalemate--at best. How you can claim victory from that escapes me...

I want to play Kentucky, and beat Kentucky, every year. It would be even better if they improved to the point that the win was nationally relevant, but beating them is a necessary part of the season, (for me, anyway)...
And that attitude is fine--"a necessary part of the season for you". But that's what rivalry game advocates need to admit, that you simply for no reason other than need or desire, want to see the game remain on the schedule.

Be careful with that argument, however, because I'll morph it into little-brother-itis which is what is at the root of it for old timers who remember too much from too many years ago.

Get rid of that stuff. We don't play Cincy or Memphis or So Miss anymore either. And they have equal or better football programs. We play a school home-and-home that's nationally recognized as a joke, even by many of their own fans...

Good post

Reactions: wilkie01
^^^ This...is all that matters to me. I love it and want to see it continue. My little corner of the world (family and friends) enjoy the hell out of it. I'm not really concerned with who agrees with my preference or what the national media think of it.

His post was really good. The point about DeVante and Mario is something I never really thought about.

His post was really good. The point about DeVante and Mario is something I never really thought about.
I agree that many players in Kentucky who used to gravitate toward basketball now take up football. And that that explains to a large extent the decline in high school basketball talent in the State.

What I reject is that it has much to do with the U of L-LPT game. I'm still waiting to hear the first talented high school kid claim that this "rivalry" game was a factor in the kid choosing football.

And truth be told, would that reason even matter? If the kid chose basketball instead? Sounds like that sport can use the help...

You're not a state program any longer. You aspire to the national championship, not to be the best in KY. You're already there anyway, and LPT doesn't care. They don't care about football, just receiving an SEC paycheck.

The trend in big boy college football is to play better teams. And the lesser teams you play should at least bring YOU a paycheck, i.e., a home game. Why are we playing LPT in Lexington every other year?

Playing LPT doesn't help our SOS. And when you lose to them every once in awhile, it's a disgrace and an embarrassment. Sounds like a lose-lose scenario to me...
No playing Indiana St and possibly WKU hurts our SOS. And just because we are now in the same conference playing the dukes, Wake Forest, and BC are not the greatest football powerhouses.

Look start the season off by playing one of these Alabama, Auburn, Michigan, Ohio State or Georgia. Make the 2nd game against Cincinnati for the keg of nails. Play WVU the 3rd game. Then play your ACC schedule and keep UK last. I’ll bet you my last bottom dollar that CBP wouldn’t go for it. Why? Chances for a really good bowl game decrease.

The way bowl games are being skipped by players I'm much less inclined to go to a bowl today than I am a neutral season opener.

If teams are having home attendance problems, Bowls are facing a serious problem.

No playing Indiana St and possibly WKU hurts our SOS. And just because we are now in the same conference playing the dukes, Wake Forest, and BC are not the greatest football powerhouses.

Look start the season off by playing one of these Alabama, Auburn, Michigan, Ohio State or Georgia. Make the 2nd game against Cincinnati for the keg of nails. Play WVU the 3rd game. Then play your ACC schedule and keep UK last. I’ll bet you my last bottom dollar that CBP wouldn’t go for it. Why? Chances for a really good bowl game decrease.
You have to play conference games--no choice--and all of those games stand in the way of a conference championship, which is the second most important goal we have every season.

IN State and WKU are not on our schedule for SOS reasons. They are revenue games which we also need. LPT provides neither benefit...

Bingo. Great "rivalry"...
UL-LPT is a great rivalry. What makes it so great is all the off the field/court stuff...Adolph Rupp and his refusal to play UL because they had black players, LPT football following suit, Howard haranguing LPT into a series, which was itself the impetus for building Cardinal Stadium, the legislature getting involved, and going back further, the politics around UL coming into the state system and the friction with LPT over 2 medical schools, 2 law schools, 2 engineering schools, of course the city-country, Louisville- Lexington tug of war. There is just so much that goes into this rivalry because of the story behind UL from its founding to today. The hate goes beyond athletics. These two have to play in every sport, every year.

UL-LPT is a great rivalry. What makes it so great is all the off the field/court stuff...Adolph Rupp and his refusal to play UL because they had black players, LPT football following suit, Howard haranguing LPT into a series, which was itself the impetus for building Cardinal Stadium, the legislature getting involved, and going back further, the politics around UL coming into the state system and the friction with LPT over 2 medical schools, 2 law schools, 2 engineering schools, of course the city-country, Louisville- Lexington tug of war. There is just so much that goes into this rivalry because of the story behind UL from its founding to today. The hate goes beyond athletics. These two have to play in every sport, every year.
No they don't. They simply still do...

This same topic came up a few years ago, when the ACC was discussing a nine game slate. Tom Jurich was absolutely adamant that we would continue the game, no matter what. Tom understood the strategic and historical significance of the game, all of the blood, sweat and tears that went into making it happen, and how really big a role it played into our rise toward Howard’s dream. Play the game!

Reactions: Mayoman and gocds
This same topic came up a few years ago, when the ACC was discussing a nine game slate. Tom Jurich was absolutely adamant that we would continue the game, no matter what. Tom understood the strategic and historical significance of the game, all of the blood, sweat and tears that went into making it happen, and how really big a role it played into our rise toward Howard’s dream. Play the game!

Zipp will demand a link

I think u should drop UK for the following reasons .

Before the revival of the UK /UL series many UK fans like me were also ardent supporters of UL . I have many found memories of taking my kids to watch Otis Wilson in football and many many basketball games .

The rivalry changed that . It should change back.

Now that UL has cleaned up its act and has a fantastic President, AD, Basketball coach , general counsel and is cleaning up the Foundation it’s frankly hard to not like them .

My guess is your president will go down in history as the best you have ever had and will make UL a great Urban University.

Mack has been left a mess ( recruiting wise) but how can anybody not respect the job he and his staff are doing and cheer for them when they’re not playing their school .

Tyre is a solid individual doing a great job as AD .

So why not welcome tens of thousands of UK fans to help attendance and have a reason to cheer for both teams as my kids and I once did.

The rivalry is asinine and at a point in time where it is in every citizens interest to make UL a better university .

John Y Brown has served his purpose with the rivalry by making Louisville relevant nationally . However as has been pointed out by many posters above no longer does either UK or UL need each other now that UL is in the ACC.

Besides football only has a 12 game season . One loss is huge . Why shouldn’t we hope both teams go bowling instead of one knocking the other either out of a bowl or out of a good bowl .

Peace

Last edited:
I think u should drop UK for the following reasons .

Before the revival of the UK /UL series many UK fans like me were also ardent supporters of UL . I have many found memories of taking my kind do to watch Otis Wilson in football and many many basketball games .

The rivalry changed that . It should change back.

Now that UL has cleaned up its act and has a fantastic President, AD, Basketball coach , general counsel and is cleaning up the Foundation it’s frankly hard to not like them .

My guess is your president will go down in history as the best you have ever had and will make UL a great Urban University.

Mack has been left a mess ( recruiting wise) but how can anybody not respect the job he and his staff are doing and cheer for them when they’re not playing their school .

Tyre is a solid individual doing a great job as AD .

So why not welcome tens of thousands of UK fans to help attendance and have a reason to cheer for both teams as my kids and I once did.

The rivalry is asinine and at a point in time where it is in every citizens interest to make UL a better university .

John Y Brown has served his purpose with the rivalry by making Louisville relevant nationally . However as has been pointed out by many posters above no longer does either UK or UL need each other now that UL is in the ACC.

Besides football only has a 12 game season . One loss is huge . Why shouldn’t we hope both teams go bowling instead of one knocking the other either out of a bowl or out of a good bowl .

Peace
It took a slapd!ck to articulate in too much detail the biggest reason to continue the series...it drives slapd!cks away from our fanbase.

The guys on the other side of this debate from me thank you... :cool:

Reactions: nccardfan
Wrong as usual... LPT does not sell out the game, and we're having a problem lately as well.
I'm pretty sure the drop in attendance when we play each other is the fact that it's now the last game and thus usually the coldest. Our attendance always drops with each passing month of the season. Pretty sure UK does as well but I don't follow their attendance that much....other than laughing at the empty corners when shown on the news LOL

I'm pretty sure the drop in attendance when we play each other is the fact that it's now the last game and thus usually the coldest. Our attendance always drops with each passing month of the season. Pretty sure UK does as well but I don't follow their attendance that much....other than laughing at the empty corners when shown on the news LOL
Here are attendance numbers since the game was moved to Rivalry Weekend as well as the four previous years. Clearly, the slapd!ck numbers were in decline and continue at that pace. U of L's are down a tick. I wouldn't assign much of the decline to when the game is played...

Football%20attendance_zpsq1zzq4wx.jpg

Exactly. They was the only team you beat who had a winning record in regular season last year. With a returning heisman winner.
Your team played in one of the lamest divisions in college football to get those wins...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT