ADVERTISEMENT

Beginning of the End for Governor's Cup?

Sultan__of__Swine

15000+
Gold Member
Aug 12, 2004
Malzahn joins Saban in wanting SEC to goto 9 SEC games. That's two of the more influential coaches in the SEC calling for this change. If that happens then I would expect to see UK wanting to back out of the annual game against Louisville. They would justify the decision by saying that they need the flexibility to schedule their 3 out-of-conference games. Tying up one of the 3 out-of-conference games would be too restrictive. Especially when they would prefer to have 3-winnable games on the schedule each year.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...ban-in-advocating-for-nine-game-sec-schedule/

Curry%20Schnellenberger%201993

1994 Game One

Reactions: wilkie01
uk might want to replace us with a Kansas or Illinois.

The Illini are too scart to play uk....so that will never happen!:rolleyes::eek:o_O

And KU is likely the only team in all of P5 that can match up with the Wildcats futility in FB.

But then again...misery loves company.....so just maybe uk would sign up to play them.....stranger things have been known to happen.

Reactions: Cue Card
It will hurt attendance and ticket sales. For both schools this is one game on the schedule that fans will attend even if both teams are not playing well.
Wrong as usual... LPT does not sell out the game, and we're having a problem lately as well.

Reactions: CardsFirst
Playing slapd!cks has been a losing proposition for us in most sports. They get more outta the games than we do. The games either don't help our schedule (sports except basketball), or we don't need the SOS help (basketball).

Football should be the springboard to drop them in ALL sports...

Zipp, I don't get your logic. Why should we stop playing our biggest rival?

Football: I will not get tired of beating them. (Admittedly, it's like a gut punch when they find the acorn once in awhile, but still...) Unless Tennessee or Ohio State is blowing up our phone to schedule a game, I don't see a reason to cancel with UKy.

Men's Basketball: Dropping them will be perceived as running away, since they've had the upper hand since the series began, pretty much. Also, UofL fought so hard to get this series, there is no way to justify dropping it, from UofL's perspective.

Women's Basketball: It's a competitive game that sells tickets and gets fans excited. I don't see any problem here.

Other sports: I don't see how the rivalry game hurts. The non-revenue sports need as many games to move the meter as they can get.

Playing slapd!cks has been a losing proposition for us in most sports. They get more outta the games than we do. The games either don't help our schedule (sports except basketball), or we don't need the SOS help (basketball).

Football should be the springboard to drop them in ALL sports...

until the ACC , uk was our measuring stick as they were in a big conference playing the National contenders. We could Quasi-guess how’d we do in their games vicariously.
Howard was the last era to get the big boys to come out on the road and i MISS those days.
We have to keep it. It’s fun!! I had a random woman kiss me in freedom hall when we won!! It can happen to you !!

Zipp, I don't get your logic. Why should we stop playing our biggest rival?

Football: I will not get tired of beating them. (Admittedly, it's like a gut punch when they find the acorn once in awhile, but still...) Unless Tennessee or Ohio State is blowing up our phone to schedule a game, I don't see a reason to cancel with UKy.

Men's Basketball: Dropping them will be perceived as running away, since they've had the upper hand since the series began, pretty much. Also, UofL fought so hard to get this series, there is no way to justify dropping it, from UofL's perspective.

Women's Basketball: It's a competitive game that sells tickets and gets fans excited. I don't see any problem here.

Other sports: I don't see how the rivalry game hurts. The non-revenue sports need as many games to move the meter as they can get.
They’ve been pretty good in baseball too. We need to keep thisvrival, since we’ve apparently dropped Cincinnati in everything.

Zipp, I don't get your logic. Why should we stop playing our biggest rival?...
until the ACC , uk was our measuring stick as they were in a big conference playing the National contenders...
This is one valid argument... Once upon a time, we needed teams like LPT on our schedules based on perception...a State school from a P5 program. Those days are over, and they ended for sure with our move to the ACC.

It's embarrassing calling LPT a "rival" in any sport but basketball. They either suck or don't care about the sport. Would anyone call Western KY a "rival"? IMO a precursor to a rivalry is mutual respect. If you respect LPT outside of basketball, you probably respect them more than THEY respect themselves.

They have the upper hand in basketball just as we do in football. Winning and losing have little to do with a decision not to play them. It's about what WE get outta the game vs. what they do. If that's consistently out of balance, you need to question why the game is played. And we're on the short end of that stick in almost every game...

The fact of the matter is that most fans enjoy the “rivalary” until, of course, they lose a game. I dare anyone (UofL fans) to tell me that they enjoyed the basketball game last December. Or any uahkay fan to do the same considering the results of last year’s UofL/uahkay football game. I do, in fact, enjoy these games and I see their worth to promote the specific sport. Especially football and baseball. Some others not so much. I do not believe the supposition of the OP that a 9 game conference schedule would end these type rivalary games. That type schedule would still allow for a rival game (USCjr/Clemson, UF/FSU, UofL/uahkay, UGA/GaTech) plus a couple of spots for patsy scheduling. I still think the small school presidents will apply pressure on their peers at the larger P5 schools not to go to the 9 game conference schedules as they desperately need the “paycheck” from playing a big school.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

Keep the LPT game. Helps HS football in the state.

Also, we have to beat them consistently for perception. We are named after a city, they are named after a state. It’s crazy, but the perception is that they are the big boys for that reason only. It’s why they have so much support out in the state. If they were the “University of Lexington” maybe not so much. It’s not rational, but I think it’s real.

Keep the LPT game. Helps HS football in the state...
That's also a myth, or at least it can't be proven. Find me a few kids who say they took up football as a youth because U of L plays LPT in football. I've never heard that uttered by anyone...

Sure was impressive to see Howard helicopter in to see that Trigg county boy play Manual that night. I think Curry ended up with him.
If Schtoopze had any nuts, he and Bobby could go toe to toe and make it a big thing but as it stands it’s a one-legged man contest.

I’m not sure SuCk will have much choice. The game was switched to the end of year by an agreement between the ACC and the SEC. I’m betting the conferences will want to keep the in state rivals.

I personally could careless whether we play them.

Having thought some more, I think we are where uk was in the 80’s. We have nothing to gain playing them. Nothing.

If we win, we prove nothing to anybody. If we lose, we prove something to everybody. We can’t beat an $EC bottom feeder.

There aren’t enough recruits in KY to worry about, and in reality, they grew up blue and all think they will be the ones to turn uk around.

Maybe we play them every other year. Or even every third.

Yeah. I LOVE beating them, but other than making me/us happy....what does it do for us?

Reactions: zipp
Having thought some more, I think we are where uk was in the 80’s. We have nothing to gain playing them. Nothing.

If we win, we prove nothing to anybody. If we lose, we prove something to everybody. We can’t beat an $EC bottom feeder.

There aren’t enough recruits in KY to worry about, and in reality, they grew up blue and all think they will be the ones to turn uk around.

Yeah. I LOVE beating them, but other than making me/us happy....what does it do for us?
What does beating any nonconference opponent do? What does beating Charlotte, Indiana State or Murray State do? It’s a win! At least UK is in a P5 conference. You want that elusive 12 win season? You think filling your non conference schedule with Alabama, Michigan, Penn State or Ohio State is going to get you there. Maybe but not right now. Let’s focus on beating the Clemson’s and FSU’s on a regular basis first.

Having thought some more, I think we are where uk was in the 80’s. We have nothing to gain playing them. Nothing...
While I might not say "nothing", you're pretty close. We didn't like the LPT stance before these "rivalry" games were played. But guys like Joe B. were not incorrect. It's why we don't play WKU home-and-home every year.

And it's a little hypocritical to argue otherwise...

What does beating any nonconference opponent do? What does beating Charlotte, Indiana State or Murray State do? It’s a win! At least UK is in a P5 conference. You want that elusive 12 win season? You think filling your non conference schedule with Alabama, Michigan, Penn State or Ohio State is going to get you there. Maybe but not right now. Let’s focus on beating the Clemson’s and FSU’s on a regular basis first.
If you followed the thread I said earlier that I’d like to see uk replaced with Tennessee.

I don’t want another Charlotte either, but there’s not a hellava lot of difference. :p

Tell me what’s going to help rankings more. Beating TN, OKST, Wisconsin, Mich St, etc, or uk?

Same question if we lose. What hurts more?

The pollsters say “they beat Kentucky. So what?” Or “They lost to Kentucky? WTF?”

It does nothing for us. Give me any number of other P5 teams.

Or, as Zipp has said numerous times, we can’t bitch when we lose. And we will again sooner or later.

Reactions: zipp and CardsFirst
Wrong. Go look at Arkansas’ schedule.

Arkansas got a special exemption when Michigan backed out. The rule has existed since about 2016 that SEC schools have to schedule 1 P5 opponent.

Link: http://www.fbschedules.com/2018/03/power-teams-wont-play-power-opponent-2018/

UK will have to schedule a P5 opponent. And no one else in P5 but UofL wants to play UK. The Kansas thing won't work. Can you imagine Kansas or anyone else trying to sell UK as a home game to their fans? The only other team it might work with is IU but there is so much bad blood between those schools over basketball scheduling right now that I don't see it happening.

If you followed the thread I said earlier that I’d like to see uk replaced with Tennessee.

I don’t want another Charlotte either, but there’s not a hellava lot of difference. :p

Tell me what’s going to help rankings more. Beating TN, OKST, Wisconsin, Mich St, etc, or uk?

Same question if we lose. What hurts more?

The pollsters say “they beat Kentucky. So what?” Or “They lost to Kentucky? WTF?”

It does nothing for us. Give me any number of other P5 teams.

Or, as Zipp has said numerous times, we can’t bitch when we lose. And we will again sooner or later.
So I see. That’s what you’re afraid of? Losing to them? So again show me the proof that says we could compete on a yearly basis with those teams you listed Okla St., Wisconsin, TN? Why did you pick mid level P5 teams? And if you say we will lose again to UK, how does that justify playing teams that are better. You think UK is not on our level to be our rival but he’ll those teams probably don’t consider us on their level to be a rival. I don’t believe you understand what a rival is? WKU is not a rival. You want to know why? It’s not because they aren’t on the same level, it’s because we don’t hate them like UK. Many of our family and friends, kids of our friends went to WKU.

What do I have to be scared of?

I’m just saying we’ll lose sooner or later and bitch and moan about it.

Meanwhile, you want to question our ability to beat those I listed?

Starting to show your true colors.

What do I have to be scared of?

I’m just saying we’ll lose sooner or later and bitch and moan about it.

Meanwhile, you want to question our ability to beat those I listed?

Starting to show your true colors.
Nothing to do with colors but being realistic. First you say we don’t need them but then mentioned we would probably lose to them. That’s showing true colors. So you want to play UT? Why because they’re down? You have to beat the teams on your schedule now before you go dreaming of beating bigger fish. I guess all the ACC folks that picked us 5th are really UK fans.

I think what we have to gain is to stay in the good graces of the ACC. I would think both the ACC and the SEC would want to continue the “rivalary weekend” as it does draw good TV ratings. Obviously, some draw better than others but as a whole they are pretty good. And I do believe staying in the good graces of the administration of your conference is a good thing to do.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

Arkansas got a special exemption when Michigan backed out. The rule has existed since about 2016 that SEC schools have to schedule 1 P5 opponent.

Link: http://www.fbschedules.com/2018/03/power-teams-wont-play-power-opponent-2018/

UK will have to schedule a P5 opponent. And no one else in P5 but UofL wants to play UK. The Kansas thing won't work. Can you imagine Kansas or anyone else trying to sell UK as a home game to their fans? The only other team it might work with is IU but there is so much bad blood between those schools over basketball scheduling right now that I don't see it happening.

Since catfans are boasting about poaching the great players out of Ohio, maybe the OSU would like a crack at the Mildcats to teach them a lesson or two about what good FB is all about!:rolleyes::oops:o_O;)

How about it Urban....put them in their place.:p:D Or maybe the Bobcats of Solich's Ohio team would be more like it.:D

Reactions: gocds
The issue of losing to slappies in football is two-fold: (1) it WILL happen at some frequency, and (2) how does the fanbase react? I'm fine playing the game if a majority of fans in that situation say "no big deal--a blind squirrel finds an acorn occasionally." But experience shows that is NOT what happens.

That's the problem; the negative is far more significant than the positive. And you're stupid continuing to play a game with asymmetric outcomes, not to mention, we give up a home game every other year presently that costs us a couple million. Another P5 school replacing LPT would still be home-and-home, but at least it might be a better opponent.

Playing slapd!cks in any sport besides basketball makes no sense, and I can argue it doesn't help us much in basketball...

What else does it have to do? The game has lost too many rivalries- Texas-Texas A&M, Mizzou-Kansas, West Virginia-Pitt (which sucks); heck even we dropped the keg-o- nails. Rivalries are good for CFB, and we need to keep playing LPT, and they us.

I agree. Keep the game at all costs. We also need to bear down and keep our outsized success in the series alive. The amount of derision we had to endure at their very outspoken arrogance compels me to remind us of where we came from. We need to go Conan on their asses and "crush our enemy". Make no mistake - that is how we are viewed. Letting them get up is a big mistake - they will take shots from a distance and try and change history in their favor. Come on, for Pete Sakes - we know those people. When your foot is on your enemy's neck, you push harder, lol. Sports are a game of dominance and football more than any.

I agree. Keep the game at all costs. We also need to bear down and keep our outsized success in the series alive. The amount of derision we had to endure at their very outspoken arrogance compels me to remind us of where we came from. We need to go Conan on their asses and "crush our enemy". Make no mistake - that is how we are viewed. Letting them get up is a big mistake - they will take shots from a distance and try and change history in their favor. Come on, for Pete Sakes - we know those people. When your foot is on your enemy's neck, you push harder, lol. Sports are a game of dominance and football more than any.
You are by far the weirdest poster on here.

You are by far the weirdest poster on here.
Is this supposed to make me come to Jesus, silly ass? I'm probably older than your Dad - the stuff I have seen would blind you for life. Being called different from the you who posted that is ironically rather empowering - thank you. The irony that the name you sport is the son of one of my best competitors and friends in Owensboro hasn't escaped me either,

Is this supposed to make me come to Jesus, silly ass? I'm probably older than your Dad - the stuff I have seen would blind you for life. Being called different from the you who posted that is ironically rather empowering - thank you. The irony that the name you sport is the son of one of my best competitors and friends in Owensboro hasn't escaped me either,
I used to walk in snow and ice barefoot just to get a piece of bread. Lol

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT