ADVERTISEMENT

BC Post Game Comments

shadow force

Jun 8, 2010
PAYNE: “I've taken some heat for this. Last year — you know, and this is just me, so I know I it may not make sense to you. What I inherited was broken. More than I could ever tell. It was broken. It wasn't just basketball. It was broken beyond broken. OK, so when you walk into a situation like that you're not coaching basketball. You're coaching, ‘JJ Traynor, lift your head up, lift your head up, you're good basketball player.’ . . . Are we one or two players away? Probably. But I can’t worry about that. I have to do my job. I have to let the chips fall where they may. I’ve got to push these kids every day. And that’s the reality of it.”

PAYNE: “I've taken some heat for this. Last year — you know, and this is just me, so I know I it may not make sense to you. What I inherited was broken. More than I could ever tell. It was broken. It wasn't just basketball. It was broken beyond broken. OK, so when you walk into a situation like that you're not coaching basketball. You're coaching, ‘JJ Traynor, lift your head up, lift your head up, you're good basketball player.’ . . . Are we one or two players away? Probably. But I can’t worry about that. I have to do my job. I have to let the chips fall where they may. I’ve got to push these kids every day. And that’s the reality of it.”
Broken, really? What does he think it is now? OMG what a load of crap

In the overall picture, it was a small thing, but I found the last play of the game interesting, and a bit heartening, that a few players, especially Clark, worked so hard to get Aidan McCool a shot. It didn't mean a thing in terms of the game, but I still appreciated it, and I'm sure McCool really did.

You know, I wonder what KP would have said on the day he was hired, if asked, "If you lose 50 games in your first two years, will you resign or understand why you should be fired?"

I think we all know what he would have said. No one imagined it was going to be this bad, so 50 losses would've been a no brainer reason for a change.

Broken or not, KP has done nothing but make it worse, in every single category. What does he do well as a head coach?

What would be an acceptable third season? After two collasal pathetic seasons, fans will need more than just a .500 record. Attendance will still suck if the Cards are 16 and 15.

But does anyone really believe KP would win 16 games next season?

I have watched a lot of sports in my 5 decades on this planet, and I have never seen a more over his head coach than KP.

He continues to play the victim. At the end of the day this is why he failed. Victims rarely take accountability, it is the circumstances and other people’s fault they failed. They also wrongly place the blame for their failures. What is clear KP and some of his supporters blamed everyone including Louisville for KP never being a head coach. Instead of blaming the guy that mentored him for the years they blamed Louisville. Cal clearly did zero to help KP. He used KP. He will use KP again if given the chance. At this level of competition playing victim gets you beat.

The players weren’t broken they lacked confidence. When talking about people broken isn’t the right word in this situation.

The best way to describe KP is he was an insecure leader. By all accounts he refused to take advice. In his brain paying attention to advice may be perceived as a social risk and make him appear as incompetent, insecure and perhaps even indecisive. At the end of the day maybe KP is the one that is broken.

I hate it for him because his initial instincts were dead on. He isn’t a head coach unfortunately that realization comes at a steep price for everyone involved. I wish nothing but the best for him and his family.

A former coach here once said, excuses are a sign of weakness. Most coaches would embrace the chance to build confidence and character along with a player’s skills. Unfortunately, KP embraced the easy way out by making excuses.

In today’s climate some always blame someone else for their mistakes and decisions. I hope this failed experience will open the eyes of the university and make the next hire more about building a winning program that the university and it’s fans can be excited about.

Reactions: vivid_red
Sadly, I don’t think this is simply him making excuses. When you don’t possess the knowledge or talent to fix a situation - said situation could certainly appear to be “broken beyond broken” to your untrained eye.

It’s why I take my car to the mechanic rather than making it worse by working on it myself.

Reactions: rentalman
I don't disagree that what he inherited was broken but what I have witness is that he's not the right coach to fix it, plain and simple.

KP is right that he could have used a few more players. He did have some bad breaks in losing Flowers, Traynor and Evans. Although I'm not sure Evans would have ever panned out. However, there was enough talent to win more games than we did. Our defense was mind-boggling bad. It never ceased to amaze me how many easy 3's we gave up each night.

I started following the Cards in 1975 and was a student at UL in 1980 when we won our first National Championship. I have followed the Cards closely since. I know what good basketball looks like. And
what we have seen the last two seasons is horrible basketball.

KP does not have what it takes. That is abundantly clear. Its time to move on. Hopefully, the Administration
allows JH to hire a top-notch Coach. Because I believe we are not far from the point of no return. We could be the next Georgetown if JH screws this up.

Funny, everyone gives KP props for being some kind of great recruiter based on results at uk. Has their recruiting taking some type of big dip since he left? He is a total phony in all aspects of college basketball. From his playing days here, to being a super recruiter, to a massively failed attempt at a head coach. To top it off he can't even be man enough to admit his failures. Please, please, please make him go away.

Funny, everyone gives KP props for being some kind of great recruiter based on results at uk. Has their recruiting taking some type of big dip since he left? He is a total phony in all aspects of college basketball. From his playing days here, to being a super recruiter, to a massively failed attempt at a head coach. To top it off he can't even be man enough to admit his failures. Please, please, please make him go away.
He certainly has been given credit for abilities that he doesn’t seem to possess. That seems to be a common occurrence in sports - someone is part of a successful organization so they’re deemed to be individually successful.

Kentucky hired him from Oregon primarily based upon his perceived strength as a recruiter - that was really a situation of Nike funneling players there. Despite the fact that to a large extent Kentucky recruits to itself - somehow the perception of Payne’s recruiting got strengthened even more. Now add “big man whisperer” to the mix - never mind that the yuts were getting 5* after 5* big men - most of which would have gone directly to the nba if not for the change in rules. Thus, the Legend of Kenny Payne was born.

And unfortunately for Cardinal fans - died a violent death over the course of the last two years.

He certainly has been given credit for abilities that he doesn’t seem to possess. That seems to be a common occurrence in sports - someone is part of a successful organization so they’re deemed to be individually successful.

Kentucky hired him from Oregon primarily based upon his perceived strength as a recruiter - that was really a situation of Nike funneling players there. Despite the fact that to a large extent Kentucky recruits to itself - somehow the perception of Payne’s recruiting got strengthened even more. Now add “big man whisperer” to the mix - never mind that the yuts were getting 5* after 5* big men - most of which would have gone directly to the nba if not for the change in rules. Thus, the Legend of Kenny Payne was born.

And unfortunately for Cardinal fans - died a violent death over the course of the last two years.
I believe KP's inroad to recruits was because of his relationship with World Wide Wes. Everyone thought that would continue. Like everything else said about Payne it turned out to be a big nothingburger.

I believe KP's inroad to recruits was because of his relationship with World Wide Wes. Everyone thought that would continue. Like everything else said about Payne it turned out to be a big nothingburger.
I'll have a side nothingpersonality to go with that nothingburger

A former coach here once said, excuses are a sign of weakness. Most coaches would embrace the chance to build confidence and character along with a player’s skills. Unfortunately, KP embraced the easy way out by making excuses.

In today’s climate some always blame someone else for their mistakes and decisions. I hope this failed experience will open the eyes of the university and make the next hire more about building a winning program that the university and it’s fans can be excited about.
True leaders appreciate a challenge of righting the ship. Putting their thumb print on it, being the fixer.
When I was in the military those were the assignments I loved best. Where’s the fun in just taking over a program that’s cruising along on cruise control.
Kenny kept looking back making excuse instead of ripping off the rear view mirrors and focusing on the future. Kenny is not a leader and that’s just a fact.

I said it when everyone was praising him for the recruiting he did while at SuCk. It’s different recruiting at SuCk, whether it’s Nike, the name , Wes, whatever it’s just different and I tried to tell people it wasn’t going to translate to here. KP isn’t a Rick Pitino so that should have been the expectations here. Plus the knucklehead wouldn’t use the portal or NIL.

I said it when everyone was praising him for the recruiting he did while at SuCk. It’s different recruiting at SuCk, whether it’s Nike, the name , Wes, whatever it’s just different and I tried to tell people it wasn’t going to translate to here. KP isn’t a Rick Pitino so that should have been the expectations here. Plus the knucklehead wouldn’t use the portal or NIL.
That his perceived success in recruiting wouldn’t translate here was a concern shared by many. As much as it disgusts me to say so - the yuts traditionally have had much more success in getting 5*’s than everyone not named Duke or Kansas - and certainly better than UofL.

I vividly remember when pitino was hired envisioning all of the 5*’s he was going to bring to UofL and even he was unable to get within shouting distance of his success with the yuts.

That his perceived success in recruiting wouldn’t translate here was a concern shared by many. As much as it disgusts me to say so - the yuts traditionally have had much more success in getting 5*’s than everyone not named Duke or Kansas - and certainly better than UofL.

I vividly remember when pitino was hired envisioning all of the 5*’s he was going to bring to UofL and even he was unable to get within shouting distance of his success with the yuts.
Ironically the few 5's RP did get didn't really pan out. VJ, a couple whose names I can't remember off the top of my head. Even Samardo Samuels wasn't the all world guy we thought he'd be. Peyton probably the highest profile guy that lived up to it. He got dudes without even a visit that were final four guys. I wasn't familiar with Taquan and Cisco and it was amazing what he did with Myles and Larry O.

Ironically the few 5's RP did get didn't really pan out. VJ, a couple whose names I can't remember off the top of my head. Even Samardo Samuels wasn't the all world guy we thought he'd be. Peyton probably the highest profile guy that lived up to it. He got dudes without even a visit that were final four guys. I wasn't familiar with Taquan and Cisco and it was amazing what he did with Myles and Larry O.
Exactly right. Pitino is just an amazing coach who can win with lesser talent.

Hell - Rivals had Karen Sypher as a 2*…

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT