ADVERTISEMENT

AP voters still not convinced

TheRealVille

5000+
Apr 27, 2015
I know, I know. Polls don't mean anything yet. Just keep winning and the Cards will be ranked.

Now, with that out of the way, no one needs to reply with that assessment.

For me, it's ridiculous that Louisville is not ranked in the top 25. Missouri is, Fresno State is. Kansas is. Why not Louisville?

UK and their 4 scrimmage wins have more votes than UofL. It's like I've said for awhile now. Voters don't want to vote for Louisville until they have to.

There is no benefit of the doubt. Despite all the pre season metrics advertising a possible, even likely 4 and 0 start, only 23 people voted for Louisville.

Yet, computers have the Cards ranked, websites have the Cards ranked, but not the AP and the coaches will probably follow suit.

Louisville is favored at NC State. Remember in the pre season when one computer had Louisville as one of only a few teams favored in all 12 games? Well, the majority of AP voters still don't have enough will to vote for Louisville.

If the Cards win in Raleigh this Friday, they should then be in every poll out there, but wouldn't be surprised if they're the 26th team receiving votes in the AP poll.

Reactions: SoulSr
Honestly, I think IU crapping the bed against Akron was the culprit. Sure, IU won in OT, but it was ugly. I think a lot of people who watch college football know that IU isn't the same IU, but when games like that happen, old perceptions kick back in. Because other than that, Ga Tech beat an undefeated Wake Forrest team, which helps our SOS, and UofL throttled BC who gave FSU all they could handle. All that stuff adds up, plays a role.

Reactions: Wildcat40229
MO beat a good KS St team that was #15 at the time. Fresno has b2b 10 win seasons so they might have just had a slight head start on the Cards.

KU has been atrocious for our entire lives and our ancestors too probably. There's some sympathy vote pouring in for those guys since they are off to another good start just like last year. They do have the same system HC/QB/RB/WR continuity so maybe they take it a step further than they did last year.

I just think UofL is more of an afterthought than a team the voters are choosing to disrespect. GT, IU, BC not really any brand recognition there.

If we're being honest it's a soft 4-0 but these 3 teams that are ranked while UofL remains unranked all seem pretty similar really.

Watching the Huddle on ACC, one of them said it exactly what I've believed when he says people were saying all summer to watch out for Louisville because of Brohm and several other metrics but he had to see it first.

The mindset was like Louisville was some occasional winning team when it's the exact opposite. After the 9 wins last season and the hiring of Brohm and with one of the top transfer classes, Louisville should have been pre-season ranked but the Cards didn't even receive a single vote.

There's for sure a good ol' boy frat and if you aren't a part of that you're always an outsider.

Voters are in love with that Cinderella storyline a perennial crap program provides. You saw it with Colorado a little bit, we start to see it with KU. Duke too, though I tend to see them as more legit than the others maybe. If Northwestern or Vandy had a pulse they'd be getting some love too.

I know, I know. Polls don't mean anything yet. Just keep winning and the Cards will be ranked.

For me, it's ridiculous that Louisville is not ranked in the top 25. Missouri is, Fresno State is. Kansas is. Why not Louisville?

UK and their 4 scrimmage wins have more votes than UofL. It's like I've said for awhile now. Voters don't want to vote for Louisville until they have to.

There is no benefit of the doubt. Despite all the pre season metrics advertising a possible, even likely 4 and 0 start, only 23 people voted for Louisville.

Yet, computers have the Cards ranked, websites have the Cards ranked, but not the AP and the coaches will probably follow suit.

Louisville is favored at NC State. Remember in the pre season when one computer had Louisville as one of only a few teams favored in all 12 games? Well, the majority of AP voters still don't have enough will to vote for Louisville.

If the Cards win in Raleigh this Friday, they should then be in every poll out there, but wouldn't be surprised if they're the 26th team receiving votes in the AP poll.
I think they’ll be some movement. CU plays USC they lose and they’ll drop. I also think the CUSE best Clemson, they’ll also drop out.
But we have to win in a tough place to win.

Wouldn’t it be nice if there was a real playoff whose participants weren’t decided with opinions? Then these polls would mean what they should mean - nothing.

I think the fact that pollsters recognized early on that UL did not have FSU, Clemson and UNC on our ACC schedule, combined with having minimal expectations from GT, IU and BC explains why the voters are not ready to give the Cards much respect.

In truth, GT upsetting WF, IU’s defense exceeding anyone’s expectations and no one predicting Castellanos stepping into BC’s offense is catching pollsters unaware.

Winning at NCST will provide some boost, but nothing will give this UL team much consideration until we play ND.

Computer rankings do not like UL right now. Sagarin says our SOS is just 112. So they look at that, and voters think we have not played anyone. Which of course I do not agree with.

Computer rankings don't like the ACC either. Sagarin does not have an ACC Team in it's Top Ten. They only rake ND at #10, if you want to count them as part of the ACC.

As another poster noted. Just keep winning baby. Beating NCST on the road will move us into the Top 25, at around between 23-20. Then beat ND at home, and we will be knocking on the door of the Top 10. coming in at between 11 to 14. Go Cards

Once you start winning games you're not supposed to,it's on. Not only in the polls but in the talking heads daily banter,which raises the national awareness of what's happening over on Floyd Street.
I know we're favored but it's a true ACC road game against a 3-1 team. The perception of this program takes a turn if the Cards can go get this one.

Reactions: Guardman
18 teams in the top 25 are 4-0; so, it's way too early to worry about polling. There are five (5) SEC teams with 3-1 records that are still well inside the top 25; further evidence that it's still all about traditional reputations for most of the voters.

The irony about polling is that if we beat NCST Friday but go on to lose to ND (provided its a close and respectable game), it will raise UL up in the polling.

It’s just lazy voting IMO. They see the SEC, BIG10, big12 and that’s all they seemingly vote towards.
But they’ll all learn it’s a new awakening here at UofL

All we can do is just keep playing our best. If we end up undefeated and in the ACC title game, then we’ll be ok.

But for now, I just think the voters haven’t thought too much about us. Our only game on a bigger network was the GT game we were heavily favored. We aren’t on the radar now, but keep winning and we will be

Heck, I'm not sold myself and its not because I'm not a great fan. What I have seen is what I have known is that Jeff Brohm is offensive minded and can be creative. I'm not sure a team that doesn't put pressure on the opposing QB with 4 rushers will be able to contain teams with above average offenses. I don't simply want to outscore opponents (been there with BP 1.0). I almost want a combination of Brohm's offense and the really good Charlie Strong defenses. Then we can start talking again about meaningful bowls and rankings.

Reactions: cocoa
Heck, I'm not sold myself and its not because I'm not a great fan. What I have seen is what I have known is that Jeff Brohm is offensive minded and can be creative. I'm not sure a team that doesn't put pressure on the opposing QB with 4 rushers will be able to contain teams with above average offenses. I don't simply want to outscore opponents (been there with BP 1.0). I almost want a combination of Brohm's offense and the really good Charlie Strong defenses. Then we can start talking again about meaningful bowls and rankings.
So you right now don't believe Louisville should be ranked? Do you think Kansas and Fresno State fans think that about their 4 and 0 teams?

The point isn't is Louisville a playoff team, but a team that deserves to be in the top 25. It's not complicated. You don't need every question to be answered to be ranked.

Defense Wins Championships!! End of Story!! Always has always will.

We had zero momentum in the polls the first 3 weeks, but after going 4-0 we are starting to get a little bit of movement.

I'm not sure whether winning against NC State will get us in the Top 25. It's likely a 50-50 thing. I think for this week, a lot depends on how the teams above us do. Whoever loses the UK-Florida game (GO GATORS!) will drop below us. All the others could easily win or lose.

I agree this isn't terribly important and we just need to win to move up. We are still eligible for everything in the post-season.

Reactions: Morgantown Card

The Cards haven't beaten anyone yet. NCST isn't Bama but that game should give us a good indication of where the Cards are.

Reactions: nccardfan
So you right now don't believe Louisville should be ranked? Do you think Kansas and Fresno State fans think that about their 4 and 0 teams?

The point isn't is Louisville a playoff team, but a team that deserves to be in the top 25. It's not complicated. You don't need every question to be answered to be ranked.
Didn't say anything about the Cards being ranked. To me ranking doesn't mean squat until they decide the Championship playoffs.. All I did was comment on where I think this team stands at 4-0 against the competition I have seen.

Didn't say anything about the Cards being ranked. To me ranking doesn't mean squat until they decide the Championship playoffs.. All I did was comment on where I think this team stands at 4-0 against the competition I have seen.
Okay. Since this thread is about the AP rankings, I assumed it had something to do with your comments.

Okay. Since this thread is about the AP rankings, I assumed it had something to do with your comments.
See if you can follow along. The thread is about the AP voters not convinced that the Cardinals should be ranked. I merely expressed my concerns about other issues than worrying about being "ranked" at this point in the season.

I think I know what the thread is about. I started it. Yes, you can add other points of view but you said you weren't sold yourself about Louisville being ranked. That sure sounded to me like you have an opinion on the Cards ranking or lack thereof.

So I asked you if you agreed the Cards shouldn't be ranked ahead of some other teams and you responded you weren't talking about rankings. So which is it? Why not answer?

I promise I will be able to follow along.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT