ADVERTISEMENT

An interesting NFL playoff scenario

Louisvillian

6000+
Oct 27, 2006
Call it quirky or call it a potential nightmare scenario for the NFL. While we all know it's not going to happen, let's look at the situation.

Because the Washington Redskins have a tie on their record (8-6-1), they have created a unique playoff scenario. Sunday they play the Giants at 4:25pm, who most likely will be resting starters since they are locked into the 5 seed in the NFC. The Redskins are 8 point favorites at home. Should Washington win, they are in the playoffs....unless.....The Lions and Packers Tie. If that happens, both Detroit and Green Bay are in the playoffs and the Redskins are out no matter if they beat the Giants. Yikes.

Nobody realistically thinks that the Lions and Packers will do anything but give a blood and guts effort to win a division Title and secure 1 home playoff game but what if they got together before the game and said, he'll let's rest our starters and play 0-0 ball for 5 quarters and both be guaranteed a playoff spot? Because they play at 8:30 Sunday night they would already know what they needed to do assuming the Skins win.

No way it happens but if it did, Roger Goodell's head would explode. It's not like coaches haven't gotten together from opposite sides to rest players and take it easy on each other in meaningless week 17 games before.

Reactions: Cue Card
Goodell is one of the absolute worst commissioners of all time regardless of the sport. I know this wouldn't be anything he did to create this particular situation, but my opinion of him won't waiver. He's a crappy commissioner. If his head would actually explode, it would be worth seeing the Lions and Packers work out a under the table deal to make it happen.

JMO

Reactions: Louisvillian
Goodell is one of the absolute worst commissioners of all time regardless of the sport. I know this wouldn't be anything he did to create this particular situation, but my opinion of him won't waiver. He's a crappy commissioner. If his head would actually explode, it would be worth seeing the Lions and Packers work out a under the table deal to make it happen.

JMO

Nobody and I mean Nobody -(outside of the NFL Owners) likes Goodell...and you're correct...he is horrible

Goodell is working overtime to destroy the greatest sports juggernaut ever -the NFL. I didn't think anybody could destroy that league, but he's doing it - pretty fast, too.
BTW, their bump in TV ratings that just happened made them point to the election as the cause of their dip. That's BS. I have an alternate explanation: CFB season is over. I know I didn't really start paying attention until the Cards finished. I think they are losing out to CFB except in NY, Boston, and Philly.

Goodell is working overtime to destroy the greatest sports juggernaut ever -the NFL. I didn't think anybody could destroy that league, but he's doing it - pretty fast, too.
BTW, their bump in TV ratings that just happened made them point to the election as the cause of their dip. That's BS. I have an alternate explanation: CFB season is over. I know I didn't really start paying attention until the Cards finished. I think they are losing out to CFB except in NY, Boston, and Philly.

The main explaination I have is the rise of the Dallas Cowboys and Oakland Raiders...two Franchises that have World Wide Brands.

I think the recent bump in TV ratings has as much to do with the lack of attention being reported now regarding the anthem protest which was started by the San Francisco QB. Since that story has slipped off the front page, people are starting to forget about it and starting to tune back in.

Personally, I feel everyone has the right to speak their mind and to peacefully protest. I also have that same right, so I choose not to watch NFL games because of the decision to allow their employees to speak their mind in one direction only. It's OK to protest the anthem, yet not OK to honor fallen police officers with a freaking patch or sticker on the helmet. OK then.

As far as I'm concerned, all the NFL players can sit down during the anthem. My TV channel won't be tuning in to see it as long as Goodell is in charge.

Reactions: Mayoman
I think the recent bump in TV ratings has as much to do with the lack of attention being reported now regarding the anthem protest which was started by the San Francisco QB. Since that story has slipped off the front page, people are starting to forget about it and starting to tune back in.

Personally, I feel everyone has the right to speak their mind and to peacefully protest. I also have that same right, so I choose not to watch NFL games because of their decisions to allow their employees to speak their mind. As far as I'm concerned, all the NFL players can sit down during the anthem. My TV channel won't be tuning in to see it.

Not really a bump anymore...the NFL is now getting its highest ratings in years...kind of started with the Pittsburgh vs Dallas game...and I expect the Playoffs will be through the roof...especially with Dallas, New York Giants, Green Bay-(likely), Washington-(likely), New England, Miami, Pittsburgh and Oakland all in the post season...huge national followings and TV Markets and Goodell going to point to that as doing a good job...

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT