ADVERTISEMENT

Path to CFP - What to root for!

davecmc

Two-Star Poster
Sep 12, 2006
As rankings round out 10 games in, we are locked in at #9 and appear to need a few reasonable things to happen to garner one of the Four Playoff spots.

We win out and beat a 12-0 FSU team.

OSU beats Michigan as Big 10 Champ.
Georgia beats Bama as SEC champ.
(This likely takes double bids from a league out of play and is 2 of the spots).

Pac 12 winner of Wash vs Oregon rematch gets 3rd spot.

That leaves the final spot reserved for TX, if they win out and win rematch over OU. This is the biggest hurdle. We should all be anti TX fans every week. If they fall, we’re up if the above scenarios hold true.

A whole lot has to happen here, but a lot if it has to do with where you start the season. We were in unranked. When it’s the opinion bowl, there’s no way Looey-ville gets in over a big name.

Reactions: Guardman
As rankings round out 10 games in, we are locked in at #9 and appear to need a few reasonable things to happen to garner one of the Four Playoff spots.

We win out and beat a 12-0 FSU team.

OSU beats Michigan as Big 10 Champ.
Georgia beats Bama as SEC champ.
(This likely takes double bids from a league out of play and is 2 of the spots).

Pac 12 winner of Wash vs Oregon rematch gets 3rd spot.

That leaves the final spot reserved for TX, if they win out and win rematch over OU. This is the biggest hurdle. We should all be anti TX fans every week. If they fall, we’re up if the above scenarios hold true.
A couple of things here to note. Looking at the final two games of the Big 12 schedule appears to show a likely 3 way tie for 2nd place. Texas may not be playing Oklahoma, but Oklahoma State or Kansas State.

If Michigan loses to OSU they will have just the one loss and they have been near the top all season. No way would Louisville overtake Michigan for a playoff spot. Cards one loss is Pitt while Michigan's is OSU. Wouldn't matter at all that Michigan didn't play in the Big 10 championship game. Everyone knows their game against OSU is the real conference winner.

Of course Iowa could change all that by beating OSU, but that's as unlikely as it was UK beating Georgia and Alabama. It's not going to happen.

I don't see any way a 12 and 1 Louisville team getting in over a 1 loss team like Michigan, OSU, Georgia, Alabama, or Washington.

There would have to be some serious upsets for the Cards to make the playoff.

I don’t know about Michigan being a sure thing. I think they have to go undefeated for it to happen since the signal stealing accusations. There is a lot of angst against them right now they might get blackballed. I think I remember TCU getting into the playoffs last year so much for the Big Name schools getting in over the non traditional powers.

• Wow
Reactions: Mayoman
I see Michigan getting in regardless of them losing to OSU because, A. Michigan and B. money. If we win out, 12-1 is a tasty record and I will be raising alot if toasts to CJB on New Years no matter what bowl because we will be playing the cream of the crop and looking at a year two that will more than likely have us ranked fairly high to start and much less ground to make up. Still not giving up hope we can squeeze in this year though. Go Cards!

A 12-1 Louisville versus an 11-1 Michigan or Ohio State would be a debate. Louisville would start out behind the OSU-Michigan loser, getting dinged for the bad loss to Pitt, but would get two bumps, one for playing in the ACCCG, and the other bigger bump for winning the game over a previously undefeated FSU.

• Wow
Reactions: Mayoman
I will be fine with beating UK at home and playing in a meaningful Bowl game.
I agree, and honestly you really have to be. Otherwise you’re setting the acceptable standard at “unobtainable “. That leads to preordained heartache. We lost any chance at the CFP when we lost to Pitt.

I tend to agree with this. Of course making the playoff is the ultimate goal, but do we really believe Louisville would have any chance at winning it?

Not in year one of the Brohm era with a toned down offense with a less than confident QB. Making and winning the ACC championship is within reach and if that indeed happens, that will lead to a top notch bowl game.

Imagine playing Alabama or Texas or Oregon. That for me would be good enough. However, as things are, I do like Louisville possibly being the monkey in the wrench, causing the playoff committee controversy. At the same time, I wouldn't necessarily agree that Michigan should be passed over due to the sign stealing controversy.

Don't get me wrong, I would be excited if Louisville were to actually get there, but I wouldn't be too upset if a 12 and 1 Cards team doesn’t.

Every poster on here should be extraordinarily pleased with a 12-1 finish, if it happens, to be followed by a great bowl game. None of us could have conceived of this possibility in August. This team and all its parts have overperformed to the max. Tremendously. One bad half to a desperate bad team on their Homecoming on a very rainy day on a crappy slog field.

This team was very fortunate to have a really easy schedule in a disrespected league without much power this year. But they've taken every advantage of the situation.

I cannot be any prouder of any team that I can remember. Total turnaround from mediocrity.

...I wouldn't necessarily agree that Michigan should be passed over due to the sign stealing controversy.
I agree on the sign stealing non sense.

If they lose a game & we win out, we should go ahead of them based on merit alone. U of L would be conference champ and have a stronger strength of schedule.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT