ADVERTISEMENT

ACC WBBT

Wow! You can tell with that answer how frustrated Walz is with the mental lapses of this team.

Damn I just hate it when HVL shoots too much... or I could argue she's probably the only one who should be shooting sometimes. Why can't we make putbacks and layups? Go Cards! Cochran again a fouling machine because she can't move her feet.

It looked to me they got a bit fatigued. Playing with lots of energy and getting a big lead due to it, a letdown is natural. But missing layups has got to stop.

Well we came out strong and pushed the lead back up to 21. Now let’s see if we can maintain it and finish strong. I agree I think we ran out of gas at the end of the first half. I hope we don’t run out of gas at the end of the 4th.

Reactions: PushupMan
Now it’s Wake’s turn to look tired. On offense, I’d like to see us running motion to really take their legs away.

This team cannot shift gears. Meaning: when they’re playing fast and Walz wants them to slow the game, they just can’t do that without losing focus and keeping up the quality shooting.

Reactions: KozmasAgain
That WF player making those NBA range 3 pointers is ridiculous. That is a very low percentage shot.

Spear is amazing. Shut out in the first half yesterday, exploded for 19 in their second half onslaught. You just cannot leave her open.

Reactions: CardsFirst
Looks like we are clicking right now I like that HVL could break the tournament scoring record for Louisville. Better yet I like what we are doing in the 2nd half where everyone is scoring. Glad to se CC getting on track and Cochran had been strong. Morgan has had some success here lately. It would be important to get her back on track.

I meant 18 point lead.
Just finished watching the game... We should have won by 40 points.
We literally lost intensity and focus towards the middle part of the 3rd quarter and then let the "Air out of the ball" for the remainder of the game.
HVL lost steam. Even Kasa had a bad pass that was intercepted...
It was the same team that has played all season long. And you could see in bursts what WFU could bring to the table. I feel like HVL is the best shooter on the floor...and Kasa... wish wish wish she was starter the entire season... she is averaging something like 8 assist ever since she was placed in the starting line up. I don't know if we have ever seen anything like that, even with Shoni and Dana. Spears and Williams are very very very talented guards. They have the right combination of size and shooting... the problem is that WFU was exhausted. They looked tired... They came out and tried to hit us in the mouth, but lost gas when their shots wouldn't connect. It will be a different story with NC State and Notre Dame... the 2 worst matchups for us in the entire conference... We matchup better against VT than we do the taller NC State and ND squads.

We just don't have that elite look and feel. We certainly brought it... If we beat ND or NC State tomorrow, I will change my assessment. But for now, we are still a 2nd round, maybe Sweet 16 team.

Sorry guys, trying to be a realist.. and not a Debbie Downer. We won... and we won BIG today. This was our best ACC win of the season. We looked good offensively... and defensively we were in the right place to make plays.. which we did which forced WFU to make some TOUGH shots...which they rarely did...

7.3 assists per game... Robinson has averaged since she started the Syracuse game... amazing...

Since being inserted into the starting lineup, she has averaged
7.3 assists per game
7.3 rebounds per game
2.1 steals per game...

Simply amazing...

Reactions: Bardman
Damn I just hate it when HVL shoots too much... or I could argue she's probably the only one who should be shooting sometimes. Why can't we make putbacks and layups? Go Cards! Cochran again a fouling machine because she can't move her feet.
Alright all I had to do what start criticizing Olivia! Way to go big girl!

Reactions: PushupMan
I think we have the size to match both ND or UNCST it just depends on whether CJW wants to use it. He really loves small ball but the further you get in the tournament that won’t work. I like the use of our bench today but I would substitute earlier in the game so we don’t have starters running out of gas before halftime.

I don’t think we should do mass substitute but 2 players at a time to give players a breather. Our bigs played really good today they have been nonexistent in some of our games this year. I know this if we play UNCST we are going to have to change things up. CJW is going to have to think outside the box with a game strategy. State had had our number the past few years they know how to beat us.

Without Miles, ND is not a bad matchup for Louisville. They're playing mostly 6 to 7 players now and they're game today against NC State is going to take a lot out of them physically if they win and play Louisville tomorrow.

This time, Walz will concentrate the defense on Citron and she's not that good to dominate the entire game. The Irish are also having to play a lot of zone to stay out of foul trouble.

If the Cards perform tomorrow like they did today, they should beat both teams, especially the shorthanded Irish.

What I liked the most was Morgan Jones defensive intensity in that first half; granted it was great total team defense, but Jones length and her athleticism helped take WF out of their half court offense, as she literally denied the ball to anyone she was matched up with.

I had to remind myself that Morgan was hurt a few games back and that might explain the limited court time she saw over the last several weeks, and I have a suspicion that she sat a lot in the second half as away to prepare her for tomorrow. Jones can make a big difference against ND when guarding Citron.

Without Miles, ND is not a bad matchup for Louisville. They're playing mostly 6 to 7 players now and they're game today against NC State is going to take a lot out of them physically if they win and play Louisville tomorrow.

This time, Walz will concentrate the defense on Citron and she's not that good to dominate the entire game. The Irish are also having to play a lot of zone to stay out of foul trouble.

If the Cards perform tomorrow like they did today, they should beat both teams, especially the shorthanded Irish.
Just remember we made a lineup switch as well. I look for one of ND's bigger guards to deny CC and another one to faceguard and double team HVT. As CJW says, we need other players to step up consistently. Mykasa needs to continue to look to drive and either pass OR shoot! Cochran cannot get in foul trouble about Nemo (sp?)

All these games you better be strong rebounding and play tough defense. In our last matchup I thought our bigs were really aggressive on the boards. We know they will double team HVL our open player needs to be able to hit the open shot. We have to shutdown Citron which should be our focus.

Reactions: 2330859
I watched the defense of Wake Forest closely after the first quarter and HCL was face guarded and denied the ball all over the court. It helped get others free, however, and the gap continued to widen.

Celeste Taylor of Duke was awarded Defensive Player of the Year in the ACC. I think she is a good player but she doesn’t disrupt the game like Mykasa does. She had one block and no steals I don’t get it.

Reactions: 2330859
Only one team team left from the state of North Carolina. It will be interesting to see how many fans are at the championship game if Duke doesn’t make it to the finals.

The emergence of Cochran and Jones yesterday was most encouraging. Jeff was obviously concerned with ND size last Sunday, and elected to go tall and leave Carr on the the bench; not sure he will follow that same strategy today particulalrly whenever ND goes zone.

There were indications that UL continued to rise in its seeding, now slated as a 5. It is conceivable that we could be a 4 seed with a win today and Sunday. Remarkable when considering that as recently as 3 weeks ago we were a 9 seed.

Who would of thought our 74 points against WF would be the high for the tournament so far.

Really an ugly game by both teams nothing falling for either team. Defense for both teams is really good whoever gets hot first will have the advantage.

Reactions: CardsFirst
But… Sonia Citron. Jeez,
Who would of thought our 74 points against WF would be the high for the tournament so far.

Third most. Miami scored 84 against BC and NC State had 83 against Syracuse.

Your point is a very good one - a lot of defense being played in this tournament!

Liz came down awkwardly after that body block by KK Bransford. Hope she is okay. Should have been a flagrant foul.

Missing 2 FTs with .4 seconds left is an opportunity lost; Olivia needs to respond

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT