ADVERTISEMENT

“We’ll Be Ready If The NBA Is Ever Ready For Us” - Dan Issel

There is no way you can compare Louisville to any of the cities mentioned. I still compare Louisville to Nashville and Indy but I think Louisville is a little nicer than Nashville right now.

There is no way you can compare Louisville to any of the cities mentioned. I still compare Louisville to Nashville and Indy but I think Louisville is a little nicer than Nashville right now.
With respect, that is simply not true at all. Nashville is hands down nicer, cleaner, better public schools, better food, better culture and just a better city than Louisville.

I go there once a year and have family that live there...there really is no comparison whatsoever. That is one of the few cities I feel that I could and would move to in a second.

wouldn’t walk across the street to watch an NBA game.
Nor would I,but I'm not opposed to a franchise here. Sure,some inconveniences for UofL,but nothing that hurts our brand. Jmo.

Lol at those calling our city a dump btw.

In regards to Nashville I have a brother living there and a lot of friends living there. I like Nashville but like all cities it depends on where you live. If you live in a place like Brentwood it is really nice but Nashville like Kiuisville has some bad areas. Like Louisville Nashville has more good areas than bad areas.
In regards to food I think both cities are dead even, I think Louisville has better fish restaurants than Nashville. To me Nashville & Louisville are similar geographically & demographically. Religiously Louisville has more Catholics than Baptist and Nashville has more Baptust than Catholics. These two cities are very much alike.

Just as a start all of those cities are heavily into welfare and Memphis is considered a sanctuary city. The states that I mentioned as being the most heavily in debt all have large sanctuary cities.

Memphis is not a sanctuary city. So now there is a correlation between being a sanctuary city. Minneapolis is a sanctuary city and resides in a state with one of the lower debt per capita rankings. Ditto for Salt Lake City and its state.

Memphis is a sanctuary city and a welfare city. The Mayor of Memphis announced he would not enforce immigration laws months ago.
Minnesota's success is based on good business they have 17 Fortune 500 companies in the Twin Cities.

In regards to Utah the Mayor of Salt Lake City and the Salt Lake Police Department both say they are not a sanctuary city. They will turn over gang members, drug dealers and other criminals to ICE.

Reactions: Cue Card
They will turn over gang members, drug dealers and other criminals to ICE.
As should ALL cities. See, nobody and I really believe this, NOBODY is anti-immigrant. Like President Obama said, that's who we are. Everyone SHOULD BE anti-ILLEGAL immigrant though. For the life of me, I just cannot wrap my head around why this is any type of issue in this country.

LOL, on Greece's debt being smaller than California. California has the 5th largest economy in the world. Greece is the 56th largest economy in the world. Remarkably, California has faced its debt demon and has voted to increase their own taxes.....as a result they now regularly pull in huge surpluses - in the billions - every year. It is absurdly expensive to live there and has become like the rest of America in general - widely divided economically between haves and have not's. So, hell yeah it has its problems, homelessness being one of them, particularly with their weather. California also experiences the same pensions issues as all the other states following the 2008 collapse of the financial system, which wiped out $21 Trillion in wealth, much of it pensions invested in hedge funds and other investment vehicles. Kentucky's pensions now in such disarray, in fact, were funded to 125% in 2004 when the legislature thought it might b wise to spread the wealth and dip into their teacher's and policemen's futures. But what could have been rebuilt went in to the shitter with the collapse. It was a bipartisan decision to raid the fund.

LOL, on Greece's debt being smaller than California. California has the 5th largest economy in the world. Greece is the 56th largest economy in the world. Remarkably, California has faced its debt demon and has voted to increase their own taxes.....as a result they now regularly pull in huge surpluses - in the billions - every year. It is absurdly expensive to live there and has become like the rest of America in general - widely divided economically between haves and have not's. So, hell yeah it has its problems, homelessness being one of them, particularly with their weather. California also experiences the same pensions issues as all the other states following the 2008 collapse of the financial system, which wiped out $21 Trillion in wealth, much of it pensions invested in hedge funds and other investment vehicles. Kentucky's pensions now in such disarray, in fact, were funded to 125% in 2004 when the legislature thought it might b wise to spread the wealth and dip into their teacher's and policemen's futures. But what could have been rebuilt went in to the shitter with the collapse. It was a bipartisan decision to raid the fund.
Louisville is a terrific city to live in. It is solving traffic woes that hit Nashville's expansions like the kiss at the end of a hot wet fist. It grows slowly, keeping a reasonably fully employed citizenry above the Mendoza Line of feeding and housing. Already blessed with a ludicrous number of elegant middle class neighborhoods, Louisville strikes the visitor who explores extensively as completely well-planned....which it was, thanks to far seeing city fathers who hired Frederick Olmstead to plan the city and then implement it before the turn of the 20th Century. Really fortunate in that aspect, avoiding a laundry list of predictable physical civic problems. The building of the Waterfront Park, The Yum!, the new bridges, the exceptional care put into the Main Street tourist location including the best hotel in America - C 21 - the new Botanical Gardens being worked now - none of this is splashy like the new wave spikes of skyscrapers ripping the skies or looking purposefully attention-grabbing.

Louisville has the benefit of relaxation, reasonably good taste and some level of security which is not only admirable but which is decidedly human. It is a terrific place to live, by any criterion. I have lived in the Left Coasts world's great cities - Vancouver, Portland, Reno and San Francisco - and trust me, living here is every bit as interesting as you want to make it, with many of the same qualities of culture and better weather, lol. If, of course, you happen to not like rain every day and sunless months of the Northwest.

Why not put the NBA in Lexington it seems the emphasis comes from blue fans who who want to see their one-an-doners. Maybe if the state charged sales tax on the sale of thoroughbred horses we could get the arabs to pay for something for us. Wouldn't that be a welcomed change for once.

Reactions: KozmasAgain
Why not put the NBA in Lexington it seems the emphasis comes from blue fans who who want to see their one-an-doners. Maybe if the state charged sales tax on the sale of thoroughbred horses we could get the arabs to pay for something for us. Wouldn't that be a welcomed change for once.
Does Kentucky really not charge sales or use taxes on thoroughbred horses? Can you site the law that excludes horses. I didn't know that.

Does Kentucky really not charge sales or use taxes on thoroughbred horses? Can you site the law that excludes horses. I didn't know that.
I am not going to look it up but at the Keenland sales they pay no taxes on the millions of dollars of horses they sell every year.......

If you can remember the Colonel games you can also remember U of L was only drawing about 11,000 a game at that time. I don't think the city will support 2 teams.

But the Colonels were an ABA team. I think more would show up if an NBA team established here.

To note, I'm more or less indifferent to a team coming.

Was that ever proven on the court?

Did the ABA ever get to face off with the NBA ala the AF vs the NFL? Did I miss that?
This video offers a brief description. Cue forward to the 6-1/2 minute mark. The two leagues competed in exhibitions over three years 1973-75. Here were the results:

ABA advantage 15-10
ABA advantage 16-7
ABA advantage 31-17

Reactions: Mayoman and gocds
Team Canada Nashville & Indy our peer cities from the 70's have one thing that Louisville does not have, and will never have. They are the Capital cities of the states they are in. That makes the center of Money, Power, and People for the entire state. That , and only that is why they passed Louisville by. Which IMO is just fine for Louisville. Like my others feel Louisville is small enough to know you, and large enough to offer all the things needed. This would include Top Quality Basketball that is home grown, and residents can grow to support & love. Also guess what ? Louisville basketball franchise has been here since they starting playing basketball, and they won't be leaving any time period , no matter who offers more money, or a Bigger Better Arena deal!! A lot to like there IMO.

I’d love to have a pro team in ky. I see no disadvantages in bringing one to the state in terms of infrastructure and economy. The only major risk I see would be on-court failures. It takes time and patience with expansion/start ups.

Zipp you say an NBA team would poison the community and that makes no sense to me. It’s a basketball team not a terrorist organization.

I imagine the mascot would be horse themed. That kind of sucks

I’d love to have a pro team in ky. I see no disadvantages in bringing one to the state in terms of infrastructure and economy. The only major risk I see would be on-court failures. It takes time and patience with expansion/start ups.

Zipp you say an NBA team would poison the community and that makes no sense to me. It’s a basketball team not a terrorist organization.

I imagine the mascot would be horse themed. That kind of sucks
A UK fan will always be the first to mention how positive a Pro Team in "Kentucky" would be. Naturally, there is no other city than Louisville who could begin to think of hosting a pro franchise, lol.

Knowing UK fans as we do, it is borderline hilarious watching them pose as objective assessors of pro possibilities. lol. Like eveything else, you still depend on Louisville to make your wishes come true. What a bent experience that must be.

A UK fan will always be the first to mention how positive a Pro Team in "Kentucky" would be. Naturally, there is no other city than Louisville who could begin to think of hosting a pro franchise, lol.

Knowing UK fans as we do, it is borderline hilarious watching them pose as objective assessors of pro possibilities. lol. Like eveything else, you still depend on Louisville to make your wishes come true. What a bent experience that must be.
So salty. All I’m asking is for a rundown of the drawbacks of bringing in a team. If you’re so proud of your city (as you should be) then why not highlight it and grow it on the back of a pro franchise? It’s clear that Louisville benefits from its population and proximity to other cities, which is why a team would not work in Lexington. Everyone knows this.

...Zipp you say an NBA team would poison the community and that makes no sense to me. It’s a basketball team not a terrorist organization...
The ownership would have no local commitment. They would extort money in the form of rent and facilities offsetting whatever tax benefit they provide. The owners know those calculations before they come in. And if it ever tilts to their disadvantage, they move or start threatening to.

As far as fan and corporate support, it's largely a zero-sum game involving U of L and an NBA team. This is certainly true of corporate support. Any gain a franchise makes would come at U of L's expense.

And the NBA "culture" is undesirable. It's full of prima donnas and misfits. I don't want them near where I live.

I'm good with a franchise locating in Lexington and northern Kentucky...

Reactions: gocds and Mayoman
The drawbacks of Louisville getting an NBA franchise? The only drawback are UofL fans thinking it would take money away from their program. You all think that a program will take away attendance, sponsorship, media attention, and political influence. You all do not want sUcKs fans in "your" arena and think that no one else is allowed in that arena...in your heads an NBA team represents some strange UK/UofL battle and that an NBA team coming represents a UK win...its bigger than that trust me

I have lived in Louisville at one point and my grandparents have lived there for 50 years and just because I'm not a Card fan does not mean that I don't have any say in the city. I like when UofL and the city thrives and the rest of the state does too..the state is way bigger and the city of Louisville is bigger than a little college sports rivalry. The only reason you all do not want it is because in your heads you think money is the only way you all will stay on top...newsflash it does not matter.

Louisville Cardinals are an established name and program in all of the NCAA sports in the powerful ACC. You have a fanbase that brings 20k to every basketball game and 40k-60k to every football game. The TV revenue from the ACC will bring in plenty of money...Louisville is also big enough to where you will still get plenty of sponsors no matter if a pro-team is there or not.

And what are the drawbacks of a pro-team? A "big-mean" owner holding the city hostage over some money...I've read too many of Zipp's posts and know that the YUM has plenty of financial issues on its own without a pro sports team owners? I mean its not like you're legalizing organized crime or hard drugs, its a professional sports teams. I mean is an NBA team going to bring crime and lower property values....rather than jobs and an economy boost 41 nights a year. And how is pro-sports selling your soul...yet I read on here how corrupt the NCAA is...so college is pure yet pro-ball is not?

Last year, you all had 17 regular season home game...plus 2 exhibitions and the NIT games. An NBA regular season has 41 home games. What was the BIG TIME matchup at the Yum during one of the few home games you had...UNC came once....Duke and UK weren't on the schedule. Lets say an NBA team in in Louisville...LeBron comes to town 2-3 times....Steph and KD come to town...James Harden...Westbrook...Donovan Mitchell? Seems like NBA games would be a better event to go watch than any game you all hosted last year.

Maybe you guys don't care...ok so don't go to the games? Its not that hard really considering I would say that a majority of people in the city of Louisville support a pro sports team. You may not care to watch...but I guarentee 18k-20k 41 nights a year...(and a lot of them may not even care about college basketball)...will pack that arena.

The drawbacks of Louisville getting an NBA franchise? The only drawback are UofL fans thinking it would take money away from their program. You all think that a program will take away attendance, sponsorship, media attention, and political influence. You all do not want sUcKs fans in "your" arena and think that no one else is allowed in that arena...in your heads an NBA team represents some strange UK/UofL battle and that an NBA team coming represents a UK win...its bigger than that trust me

I have lived in Louisville at one point and my grandparents have lived there for 50 years and just because I'm not a Card fan does not mean that I don't have any say in the city. I like when UofL and the city thrives and the rest of the state does too..the state is way bigger and the city of Louisville is bigger than a little college sports rivalry. The only reason you all do not want it is because in your heads you think money is the only way you all will stay on top...newsflash it does not matter.

Louisville Cardinals are an established name and program in all of the NCAA sports in the powerful ACC. You have a fanbase that brings 20k to every basketball game and 40k-60k to every football game. The TV revenue from the ACC will bring in plenty of money...Louisville is also big enough to where you will still get plenty of sponsors no matter if a pro-team is there or not.

And what are the drawbacks of a pro-team? A "big-mean" owner holding the city hostage over some money...I've read too many of Zipp's posts and know that the YUM has plenty of financial issues on its own without a pro sports team owners? I mean its not like you're legalizing organized crime or hard drugs, its a professional sports teams. I mean is an NBA team going to bring crime and lower property values....rather than jobs and an economy boost 41 nights a year. And how is pro-sports selling your soul...yet I read on here how corrupt the NCAA is...so college is pure yet pro-ball is not?

Last year, you all had 17 regular season home game...plus 2 exhibitions and the NIT games. An NBA regular season has 41 home games. What was the BIG TIME matchup at the Yum during one of the few home games you had...UNC came once....Duke and UK weren't on the schedule. Lets say an NBA team in in Louisville...LeBron comes to town 2-3 times....Steph and KD come to town...James Harden...Westbrook...Donovan Mitchell? Seems like NBA games would be a better event to go watch than any game you all hosted last year.

Maybe you guys don't care...ok so don't go to the games? Its not that hard really considering I would say that a majority of people in the city of Louisville support a pro sports team. You may not care to watch...but I guarentee 18k-20k 41 nights a year...(and a lot of them may not even care about college basketball)...will pack that arena.
All of those stats in a way-too-long post were achieved WITHOUT an NBA team here. They have little relevance to a scenario where BOTH U of L and an NBA team coexist in the same place. You can't say "see, look at the past!" Doesn't matter.

And the other rhetoric and anecdotal stuff in your post are just your opinions...opinions that no one asked for.

Reactions: CommodoreCard
The ownership would have no local commitment. They would extort money in the form of rent and facilities offsetting whatever tax benefit they provide. The owners know those calculations before they come in. And if it ever tilts to their disadvantage, they move or start threatening to.

As far as fan and corporate support, it's largely a zero-sum game involving U of L and an NBA team. This is certainly true of corporate support. Any gain a franchise makes would come at U of L's expense.

And the NBA "culture" is undesirable. It's full of prima donnas and misfits. I don't want them near where I live.

I'm good with a franchise locating in Lexington and northern Kentucky...
I think you’re being melodramatic. NBA franchise = apples. Louisville cards = oranges. You are right that UL wouldn’t directly benefit from a franchise coming in, but why would it? Why should it? Does Budweiser Hurt Pepsi? They are both drinks In a can but that’s where the similarities end.

What exactly is the “NBA culture” as it pertains to the community? As for not wanting “them” where you live, are you talking about fans? Because they are already living next to you. Teams don’t ship in their fan bases. Are you talking about the players? Because I doubt they move to Louisville by in large. Even still I’m sure your NBA superstar neighbors will keep the noise down. They are on the road a lot. I can’t imagine your everyday life will be impacted by an nba team in town. A lot of what you’re saying just screams “get off my lawn!”

Reactions: Atwood8665
As was said earlier, if Kentucky fans are so warm to the idea, you should probably ask why. Put the team in Lexington. There are smaller markets than Lexington with professional franchises.

As was said earlier, if Kentucky fans are so warm to the idea, you should probably ask why. Put the team in Lexington. There are smaller markets than Lexington with professional franchises.
Having a team in Louisville instead of Lexington is a no brainer due to television market and population pocket. I am warm to the idea and I can’t understand why you wouldn’t be.

Last edited:
Having a team in Louisville instead of Lexington is a no brained due to television market and population pocket. I am warm to the idea and I can’t understand why you wouldn’t be.
That's factually wrong. Northern Kentucky (encompassing Cincy) and Lexington is combined a larger market than metro Louisville. And that location wouldn't preclude the few NBA fans in Louisville from attending.

I think that's the ideal location esp. considering slapd!ck interest in a franchise and U of L's lack thereof. It oughta be situated among more slappies...

Reactions: gocds
I thought Ky fans were too scared of Louisville? They always say how dangerous it is in Downtown Louisville. Which is it?

Reactions: Cue Card
That's factually wrong. Northern Kentucky (encompassing Cincy) and Lexington is combined a larger market than metro Louisville. And that location wouldn't preclude the few NBA fans in Louisville from attending.

I think that's the ideal location esp. considering slapd!ck interest in a franchise and U of L's lack thereof. It oughta be situated among more slappies...
I was all for it but after hearing what all you said I’m afraid that it will poison the community lol. But seriously I would love it. But there is also the venue to consider. The YUM center is a big, big factor in this. It probably wouldn’t hurt to have some more cash coming in to pay for the joint.

I was all for it but after hearing what all you said I’m afraid that it will poison the community lol. But seriously I would love it. But there is also the venue to consider. The YUM center is a big, big factor in this. It probably wouldn’t hurt to have some more cash coming in to pay for the joint.
Its not about the CITY of Louisville benefiting, its about the UNIVERSITY of Louisville benefiting in that world. You're in an argument going nowhere.

The only argument they can fall back on is greedy owners forcing the city to pay for an arena(even though one is already built and could afford 41 more big revenue nights a year) and UK fans want it so it has to be bad. Everything else is about corporate sponsors diverting some of their funds to a pro team.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT