ADVERTISEMENT

“We’ll Be Ready If The NBA Is Ever Ready For Us” - Dan Issel

Louisville is a terrific city to live in. It is solving traffic woes that hit Nashville's expansions like the kiss at the end of a hot wet fist. It grows slowly, keeping a reasonably fully employed citizenry above the Mendoza Line of feeding and housing. Already blessed with a ludicrous number of elegant middle class neighborhoods, Louisville strikes the visitor who explores extensively as completely well-planned....which it was, thanks to far seeing city fathers who hired Frederick Olmstead to plan the city and then implement it before the turn of the 20th Century. Really fortunate in that aspect, avoiding a laundry list of predictable physical civic problems. The building of the Waterfront Park, The Yum!, the new bridges, the exceptional care put into the Main Street tourist location including the best hotel in America - C 21 - the new Botanical Gardens being worked now - none of this is splashy like the new wave spikes of skyscrapers ripping the skies or looking purposefully attention-grabbing.

Louisville has the benefit of relaxation, reasonably good taste and some level of security which is not only admirable but which is decidedly human. It is a terrific place to live, by any criterion. I have lived in the Left Coasts world's great cities - Vancouver, Portland, Reno and San Francisco - and trust me, living here is every bit as interesting as you want to make it, with many of the same qualities of culture and better weather, lol. If, of course, you happen to not like rain every day and sunless months of the Northwest.
You should try Yew Dell gardens.

LOL, on Greece's debt being smaller than California. California has the 5th largest economy in the world. Greece is the 56th largest economy in the world. Remarkably, California has faced its debt demon and has voted to increase their own taxes.....as a result they now regularly pull in huge surpluses - in the billions - every year. It is absurdly expensive to live there and has become like the rest of America in general - widely divided economically between haves and have not's. So, hell yeah it has its problems, homelessness being one of them, particularly with their weather. California also experiences the same pensions issues as all the other states following the 2008 collapse of the financial system, which wiped out $21 Trillion in wealth, much of it pensions invested in hedge funds and other investment vehicles. Kentucky's pensions now in such disarray, in fact, were funded to 125% in 2004 when the legislature thought it might b wise to spread the wealth and dip into their teacher's and policemen's futures. But what could have been rebuilt went in to the shitter with the collapse. It was a bipartisan decision to raid the fund.
California is currently beset with messes caused by weird politics that do not favor their own citizens. It's like decay from the inside out. Nobody in Kentucky is attempting to correct the pension mess except the the current governor.

I thought Ky fans were too scared of Louisville? They always say how dangerous it is in Downtown Louisville. Which is it?

fe0b9a1fd1428a342c5286397496ae13ad4ef02580ac5e00ece0626b14b14c91.jpg

I’m starting to warm to the idea of an NBA team. But, only if it is called LOUISVILLE not Ky.
Completely agree with this. It absolutely should be the Louisville something or others. I've heard Distillers. Not sure I love that, but it's certainly unique and very much in keeping with the culture of the town and the bourbon boom.

...there is also the venue to consider. The YUM center is a big, big factor in this. It probably wouldn’t hurt to have some more cash coming in to pay for the joint.
You need more cash to pay out more... If it is zero sum, there is no more cash to pay anyone. Bailout Arena wouldn't be able to charge as much rent to each team, and local establishments would simply have the same number of people spread over more days of operation. That nets out to nothing...

Reactions: Ipartiedwithhopgood
Please see Lexington Herald Leader article published January 17, 2010 article which discusses no sales tax collected on thoroughbred yearling sales. The thoroughbred horse industry was then worth 3.9 billion in sales the loss in sales tax was 220 million in 2010.

Sorry, I don't have the knowledge to link an article. It was easily found on in a google search- sales tax on thoroughbred sales in ky.

Soooooo how long do we continue to let legal sales revenue in the state of ky be exempt from sales tax. I guess that is why they call it the sport of kings. Kings can afford it, can afford the sales tax, but continue to receive the benefits for being wealthy.

When will the legislature, governor, and residents of the state put an end to the tax shelter when the state is so strapped for revenue. Wake up!

Another article found from 2017 on ky and florida's thoroughbred industry noted that no sales is charged on a yearling under 2 yrs of age, and if the horse remains in the state of ky, and the owner is a nonresident of ky then there is no sales tax involved in the commercial use of the horse. There is also no sales tax collected on the resale of a horse in ky.

You need more cash to pay out more... If it is zero sum, there is no more cash to pay anyone. Bailout Arena wouldn't be able to charge as much rent to each team, and local establishments would simply have the same number of people spread over more days of operation. That nets out to nothing...
I’ll defer to you on the arena stuff. That’s your jam. But don’t overlook the other economic impacts. Hotels, restaurants, apparel sales, etc. An NBA team could very well be a job maker which is always good. Think big picture. North Carolina, Villanova, Michigan, Michigan state, Duke, etc.....they are all doing just fine with an nba franchise right down the road.

I am skeptical that nba attendance would be strong. I still think the cards attendance will be unaffected though. Is it a risk, yes. But does the city and region stand to gain? Yes. But I’m no expert. It just seems like the positives outweigh the negatives

I’ll defer to you on the arena stuff. That’s your jam. But don’t overlook the other economic impacts. Hotels, restaurants, apparel sales, etc. An NBA team could very well be a job maker which is always good. Think big picture. North Carolina, Villanova, Michigan, Michigan state, Duke, etc.....they are all doing just fine with an nba franchise right down the road.

I am skeptical that nba attendance would be strong. I still think the cards attendance will be unaffected though. Is it a risk, yes. But does the city and region stand to gain? Yes. But I’m no expert. It just seems like the positives outweigh the negatives
"Zero sum" means everything divided still adds up to the current number with one primary tenant. The only way ANY of what you're suggesting is true is if the sum is greater.

We're offering two different opinions, and you can't debate beyond that unless THAT becomes the debate...

Don't we all love it when sUcK fans tell us what is best for us? Senore2006 you bring up a great point sUcK fans want an NBA team in the state and they think Louisville is the best place for it. Once again proving that Louisville is superior over their crappy towns.
However, they also want to enjoy the product without the burden that Louisvillians will have to pay with tax increases. Memphis is a great example of what an NBA team can do to a local college team. Not all Nashville residents are happy about the Titans it doubled their property taxes. I sat put an NBA team in Lexington and let them suffer the consequences. It is their fan base that is pushing it.

Don't we all love it when sUcK fans tell us what is best for us? Senore2006 you bring up a great point sUcK fans want an NBA team in the state and they think Louisville is the best place for it. Once again proving that Louisville is superior over their crappy towns.
However, they also want to enjoy the product without the burden that Louisvillians will have to pay with tax increases. Memphis is a great example of what an NBA team can do to a local college team. Not all Nashville residents are happy about the Titans it doubled their property taxes. I sat put an NBA team in Lexington and let them suffer the consequences. It is their fan base that is pushing it.
Memphis sucks because cal left. Not because of the grizzlies.

I don’t get the vitriol over this nba thing. I almost feel like you guys hate the idea because you seem to think UK fans want it and no other reason. Don’t think small. Think big. I’d be proud if it could be in Lexington but Louisville makes more sense and the yum center is a major cog in the machine.

I don’t get the vitriol over this nba thing. I almost feel like you guys hate the idea because you seem to think UK fans want it and no other reason. Don’t think small. Think big. I’d be proud if it could be in Lexington but Louisville makes more sense and the yum center is a major cog in the machine.
You've already been schooled why Northern KY makes more sense. Get things going where it might fly...

There's no point in arguing...they believe an NBA team will hurt their athletics department financially and from a fan interest point.

This is just a small subset of UofL fans....and there are a lot of PRO SPORTS fans in the city of Louisville that could care less about UK or UofL that would love a pro sports team. You'd be surprised to know that there are people that only care during March maddness and think the college game is dumb. They'd love a home schedule of 41 games a year as opposed to under 20 games that are a lot of small time matchups.

It really doesn't matter though...the NBA is coming to Louisville whether they like it or not. The NBA is exploding with popularity. Ratings and revenue are going up every year...there will be expansion and Seattle and Louisville will be the two cities to get a team.

...This is just a small subset of UofL fans....and there are a lot of PRO SPORTS fans in the city of Louisville that could care less about UK or UofL that would love a pro sports team...
Same damn fanbase that thinks there are more slapd!cks in Louisville than U of L fans. While they're outnumbered 3-to-1...

You might want to start schooling the local investors. They’ve already signed up for 3 mil.

THREE MILLION? You gotta be kidding. It will take a billion bucks at least. Please inform all of us less knowledgeable UofL fan whom is going to come up with the rest of the money? You’re an idiot AND a uahkay fan and those two facts are undenieable and dangerous.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

Reactions: CommodoreCard
THREE MILLION? You gotta be kidding. It will take a billion bucks at least. Please inform all of us less knowledgeable UofL fan whom is going to come up with the rest of the money? You’re an idiot AND a uahkay fan and those two facts are undenieable and dangerous.

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!
Just like Zipp you’re missing my point. You guys are just too eager to insult the blue shirt. I’m saying that at least some people are on board already and placing money on the table. This makes getting a franchise a real possibility. The city is open to it, at least now more than ever.

I think I read that Seattle would be looking to build a 460 mil arena. So of course 3 mil is a minuscule number lol. But again, that wasn’t my point.

Good grief how so typical of a UK fan and how pathetically narrow minded. Big news, stud...Memphis sucked when Cal was there, lol. In fact, far be it from me to praise anything Mempiss at all - knowing them as well as any older UofL fan might and does - but they did very fine indeed for long years and were a regular in the Top 10 and terrific and bitterly-fought rivals long, long before Man Breasts arrived there. They were most certainly a team UK did not want to schedule, lol. The SEC was too ripe to venture away from.

And quit acting like the NBA is some plum for a town. Ask Seattle, Cincinatti, Vancouver and San Diego how they like it. You want it in Louisville because you want to see the UofL hoops franchise burn. You are repulsively predictable, lol.

California is currently beset with messes caused by weird politics that do not favor their own citizens. It's like decay from the inside out. Nobody in Kentucky is attempting to correct the pension mess except the the current governor.
I don't even have to ask if you have ever been there. People who think Bevin is cool have never traveled beyond Possum Trot.

But, by all means, let's debate California. I lived there for almost a decade. Maybe you'd be interested in a native's perspective? Ha ha, doubtful, isn't it? You do seem a bit stereotypical. And, yes, it would be nice to be wrong.

Reactions: CommodoreCard
So salty. All I’m asking is for a rundown of the drawbacks of bringing in a team. If you’re so proud of your city (as you should be) then why not highlight it and grow it on the back of a pro franchise? It’s clear that Louisville benefits from its population and proximity to other cities, which is why a team would not work in Lexington. Everyone knows this.
There is an exceedingly simple answer to that.

NBA franchises are massive leeches to a local economy. Because they are independently owned - and now almost exclusively by a class of unaccountable multi-billionaires - an entire region becomes captive to their whims.

There are scads of cultural benefits available in Louisville. The fan experience of following the local university has been adequate and occasionally exhilarating for decades and it directly addresses the local sports Jones just fine.... I doubt Louisvilians need the advice of a UK fan from Bumfart, Kentucky to be a little more objective about how they spend their entertainment and tax dollars. Good try though.

Yes I know that. My point was that folks are on board already. These people obviously haven’t consulted with the Z Man.
Just like Zipp you’re missing my point. You guys are just too eager to insult the blue shirt. I’m saying that at least some people are on board already and placing money on the table. This makes getting a franchise a real possibility. The city is open to it, at least now more than ever...
Gee, thanks for clarifying... I'm supposed to be impressed by "investors" willing to put up big money when enormous money is required. And when none of that money is forfeited if it doesn't happen. Yeah that's great stuff, and thanks again...

Reactions: Ipartiedwithhopgood
Good grief how so typical of a UK fan and how pathetically narrow minded. Big news, stud...Memphis sucked when Cal was there, lol. In fact, far be it from me to praise anything Mempiss at all - knowing them as well as any older UofL fan might and does - but they did very fine indeed for long years and were a regular in the Top 10 and terrific and bitterly-fought rivals long, long before Man Breasts arrived there. They were most certainly a team UK did not want to schedule, lol. The SEC was too ripe to venture away from.

And quit acting like the NBA is some plum for a town. Ask Seattle, Cincinatti, Vancouver and San Diego how they like it. You want it in Louisville because you want to see the UofL hoops franchise burn. You are repulsively predictable, lol.
Memphis was winning 30 plus games a year then something happened. Wonder what that was? Hmmmm. But whatever. How again is this the fault of the Memphis grizzlies?

You are very wrong about me in your second paragraph. There are a lot of reasons for UL to burn potentially but an NBA franchise isn’t one. That’s just silly. I’ve made the comparison before......UL = Pepsi while NBA franchise = Budweiser. One has nothing to do with the other. I think having a pro team in the state to call our own is cool. Nothing underhanded. You can’t find proof otherwise

To your point about Seattle, that city isn’t exactly resisting. A lot of folks miss the Sonics.

I don't even have to ask if you have ever been there. People who think Bevin is cool have never traveled beyond Possum Trot.

But, by all means, let's debate California. I lived there for almost a decade. Maybe you'd be interested in a native's perspective? Ha ha, doubtful, isn't it? You do seem a bit stereotypical. And, yes, it would be nice to be wrong.
You accused someone of being stereotypical in this post. This made me laugh so hard that you can hear me plum across possum trot. :p

Gee, thanks for clarifying... I'm supposed to be impressed by "investors" willing to put up big money when enormous money is required. And when none of that money is forfeited if it doesn't happen. Yeah that's great stuff, and thanks again...
Lol. I don’t expect you to be impressed by anything. You just misunderstood my point and I wanted to clarify.

Same damn fanbase that thinks there are more slapd!cks in Louisville than U of L fans. While they're outnumbered 3-to-1...
Yeah...but in reality there are a lot of people in the city of Louisville and the state of Kentucky who don't care that much about college sports.

Of course there is the casual fan who will rep UK/UofL during the tournament and when big games events come to town (Clemson/Gameday, Duke coming to town, etc.) but generally they like NFL/NBA more, there just isn't a team to cheer for in the city/state. And that's where the fear begins...that the casual fan will care more about a Louisville NBA team and the Cards are not the only team in town.

I mean there is not an example of a city that wants to get rid of their NBA team. Seattle lost their team after building a new NFL and MLB stadium and the city did not want to build another new arena....now they are begging for their team back. Charlotte lost the Hornets and it did not take them very long to get them right back. The Grizzlies add like $200+ million annually with 1,500 jobs on top of that...the arena is already built so there really isn't gonna be a need for the taxpayers to build them an arena. The economic argument is invalid.

Here is an interesting note about tourism...the city estimated they lost around $10 million dollars in tourism revenue during the 2011-12 strike. But hey, that money would bring bad things to the city of Louisville because sUcKs fans want it to happen lol

Louisville simply cannot support an NBA team, lol. This is not hard. If every UK and UofL fan in the city suddenly converted to rabid pro fans, then there is a chance they would pay increasingly high prices for tickets, yes, but the donations to the university which have allowed Louisville athletics to thrive will not be donated to an NBA team. They will find other outlets, undoubtedly not athletic. Combine that with the 40 games a year teams literally mail in because of the overexposure and you have a boring product. The beauty of the college game is effort, spirit and unfolding chemistry. Sometimes that happens with pro franchises, too. I guess you could wish it.

Calipari;s tenure at Memphis was an absolute study in tawdry, complaining mediocrity until he discovered World Wide Wes. LOL, even Memphis fans admit this. But congratulations on having him coach your franchise. He's quite the ethical midget.

Louisville simply cannot support an NBA team, lol. This is not hard. If every UK and UofL fan in the city suddenly converted to rabid pro fans, then there is a chance they would pay increasingly high prices for tickets, yes, but the donations to the university which have allowed Louisville athletics to thrive will not be donated to an NBA team. They will find other outlets, undoubtedly not athletic. Combine that with the 40 games a year teams literally mail in because of the overexposure and you have a boring product. The beauty of the college game is effort, spirit and unfolding chemistry. Sometimes that happens with pro franchises, too. I guess you could wish it.

Calipari;s tenure at Memphis was an absolute study in tawdry, complaining mediocrity until he discovered World Wide Wes. LOL, even Memphis fans admit this. But congratulations on having him coach your franchise. He's quite the ethical midget.
For the most part I can’t disagree. Bottom line is I’m not sure if attendance would be strong enough. Nobody will ditch their cards tickets for the nba team but will enough people attend the NBA games? Probably not, but at the same time I don’t know how big of a driver attendance is. I see a lot of empty seats on tv when watching the Miami heat and Atlanta hawks. Yet they ain’t going anywhere. So if you put a gun to my head I’d say it’s ultimately a pipe dream. But you don’t think it would be bad a$$ to see lebron roll into town to play the local team?

As far as Memphis goes, I don’t really care. I’m a UK fan not a Memphis fan. I’m still waiting for someone to tell me how the grizzlies is responsible for the Memphis tigers sucking. That was the original argument with Memphis.

For the most part I can’t disagree. Bottom line is I’m not sure if attendance would be strong enough. Nobody will ditch their cards tickets for the nba team but will enough people attend the NBA games? Probably not, but at the same time I don’t know how big of a driver attendance is. I see a lot of empty seats on tv when watching the Miami heat and Atlanta hawks. Yet they ain’t going anywhere. So if you put a gun to my head I’d say it’s ultimately a pipe dream. But you don’t think it would be bad a$$ to see lebron roll into town to play the local team?

As far as Memphis goes, I don’t really care. I’m a UK fan not a Memphis fan. I’m still waiting for someone to tell me how the grizzlies is responsible for the Memphis tigers sucking. That was the original argument with Memphis.
Memphis sucks a lot more often than they don't. There is no scientific reason or benefit to even explore it. With a fan base who throw knives on the court at players and opposing fans, they get what they actually deserve.

Josh Pastner and Tubby Smith is why Memphis has sucked for the last decade.

Before Cal married WWW, Memphis went to the NIT in 3 of his first 5 years while they were in Conference USA.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT