ADVERTISEMENT

New Coach Top 5 Candidates....

Gotta hope he doesn't go to Rupp instead once Cal is gone.
Next%20Big%2012%20Champs_zpsq91cjk2r.png
I want yalls' coach, here at UofL 😎

I'll add this which I posted in another thread:

Aside from being incredibly successful, consistent, an Adidas guy, smart, young enough to have a long tenure…

Another selling point is his neutrality. No association with our past history - positive or negative. No doubt he knows of Louisville basketball, and I’m sure respects the tradition, but he also isn’t burdened with following a legend whom he will be compared against. Louisville basketball is like finding the Biltmore Estate on foreclosure.

If Josh is smart, and I believe he is, this guy will be a top (if not THE top) candidate, and if he brings him in for an interview, he brings the whole family.

And I don’t want to hear sh*t about “but can he recruit at the P5 level”

This isn’t college football where you need 3-deep on the OL and DL to even think about competing with the elite.

This is NCAA basketball. The right coach can take any team/school to the final four. The really good ones can do it more than once. Mark Few didn’t take the job at Gonzaga and start hauling in blue-chippers. Neither did Jay Wright at Villanova. Or Chris Beard at Texas Tech. Loyola-Chicago. Wichita State. Butler. VCU.

We need a coach who knows what he is doing, and is great at doing it! That alone with Louisville’s tradition and facilities will open doors to a higher caliber athlete than he has ever had access to. But most importantly, I want him to get baller that he wants. Ones that fit his system.

Let that school down the road continue hauling in the OADs, having high expectations and then failing to meet them with clueless freshmen that run an AAU system. I want to be back to being a regular in the Sweet 16/Elite 8.

Let's go get him. What would it take to fire KP mid-season?

Ok, I can't take this death by papercut anymore. KP has to go at the end of the season. If so, who realistically do you think would be our top 5 options?

1. Nate Oats
2. Richard Pitino
3. Travis Ford
4. Sean Miller
5. Grant McCasland

Thoughts...?
Richard Pitino and Travis Ford? 😂

Mick Cronin
Eric Musselman

Am I remembering correctly that someone said on here that Matt Painter would listen? He wouldn’t be a bad option. Not my first choice, but a good one nonetheless

So an updated list then...
1. Mussleman
1a. Nate Oats
2. Mick Cronin
3. Ben McCollum
4. Matt Painter
5. Travis Ford

Early for the list but chances are someone mentioned in this thread will be the next head coach. Even people like me that wanted KP to work can see it isn’t likely to happen.

I think everyone (well most people) wanted KP to work. I don’t think there’s many getting on Josh for making the original choice. The flyer he took on a first time HC in his late 50s was a risk worth taking at the time.

We’re 36 games in now including exhibitions and 2 off-seasons of evaluation. There’s enough data now at 6-30 including 4 exhibitions. Throw in all the press conferences and ‘non game responsibilities’ to evaluate the choice. Josh’s next question should be things like is there an advantage to parting ways now and moving through this season with an interim tag on Nolan or keep Kenny?

When Denny started to fade, everyone was asking “where’s the money to fire him?” They found it.

When Kragthorpe sucked, everyone was asking “where’s the money to fire him? They found it.

When Petrino 2.0 essentially quit on the team, everyone was asking “where’s the money to fire him? They found it.

This is Louisville basketball. It’s pretty important. The money will be there to fire him. Josh just needs the balls to get it done. Time’s a wasting.

I think everyone (well most people) wanted KP to work. I don’t think there’s many getting on Josh for making the original choice. The flyer he took on a first time HC in his late 50s was a risk worth taking at the time.

We’re 36 games in now including exhibitions and 2 off-seasons of evaluation. There’s enough data now at 6-30 including 4 exhibitions. Throw in all the press conferences and ‘non game responsibilities’ to evaluate the choice. Josh’s next question should be things like is there an advantage to parting ways now and moving through this season with an interim tag on Nolan or keep Kenny?
No thanks on Nolan. He doesn't have enough experience. He already looked into bailing, no matter how he tried to brush it off.

On this topic….Nolan, we don’t blame you for wanting out. Most of us would have done the same knowing this season would look very much like last season. Don’t give up, there will be other opportunities to move on from this mess.

You obviously want to still preach defense, but I want to see freelance offense and not Huntley-Hatfield passing it off to perimeter players at the top of the key every single time

Cronin might comparing the cost of living from California to Kentucky would be a big pay raise.

When Denny started to fade, everyone was asking “where’s the money to fire him?” They found it.

When Kragthorpe sucked, everyone was asking “where’s the money to fire him? They found it.

When Petrino 2.0 essentially quit on the team, everyone was asking “where’s the money to fire him? They found it.

This is Louisville basketball. It’s pretty important. The money will be there to fire him. Josh just needs the balls to get it done. Time’s a wasting.
Totally agree. Josh gets credit for Brohm and football success but he also takes heat for Payne and this travesty.

Reactions: the artist FKA zipp
Just don't pay it. Let him sue us and prove we didn't have cause. Being incompetent at the job you were hired for is cause. And if he wins the lawsuit make him take it in monthly payments over 25 years..
While I don’t necessarily disagree, I can visualize the community AA backlash when we dick over our only AA coach. Should be epic. As well as AA recruiting…

While I don’t necessarily disagree, I can visualize the community AA backlash when we dick over our only AA coach. Should be epic. As well as AA recruiting…
At this point I'm rolling those dice. Hell these days people forget about things in a month or two because they're on to the next hot topic. If anybody can't see that him be an AA has nothing to do with him being an epic failure as a coach then they don't matter anyway..

Reactions: MethodUK
Cronin might comparing the cost of living from California to Kentucky would be a big pay raise.
I was told Cronin does not like the current AD and would have come if he wasn't in charge. This was from 2 past UL players. I then dug a little and looks like Josh was at Cincy the same time as Cronin so maybe some truth to it. Who the hell knows... All I know is UL deserves better and hopefully help comes sooner than later..

• Haha
Reactions: KingHenry_X
Cronin reportedly has a huge buyout to hire him on top of paying for Payne's. If true, there's no point in talking about him...

At this point I'm rolling those dice. Hell these days people forget about things in a month or two because they're on to the next hot topic. If anybody can't see that him be an AA has nothing to do with him being an epic failure as a coach then they don't matter anyway..
It depends on the contract language which is usually very coach friendly. Really don’t disagree with your suggestion but that contract would have to be heavily slanted toward Louisville.

It’s already getting racial. KP supporters are already causing controversy when there is none. He sucks at his job just like Kragthorpe sucked at his. Not about race, not at all. Not even close.

It depends on the contract language which is usually very coach friendly. Really don’t disagree with your suggestion but that contract would have to be heavily slanted toward Louisville.
I haven't read his contract but I'm sure the firing without cause is pretty simple. However, I don't think it would be very hard for the University to make a good case for firing him WITH cause..

Being an epic failure and costing the University Millions in lost income from ticket sales, merchandise, and concessions is a pretty damn good cause for firing somebody.

Under performance has to be cause.

Totally agree. Josh gets credit for Brohm and football success but he also takes heat for Payne and this travesty.
Josh got freight trained from all sides into hiring Payne. Any legitimate coaching search could have found someone better than a career recruiter, who's recruiting contacts would be for a competitor of the school he was being hired at. Seriously, who is going to hire a career assistant coach thats 60 years old at a top 10 program unless a gun is being held to your head? Don't blame Josh for this mess, blame the folks who pressured him into making the hire or else.

Josh got freight trained from all sides into hiring Payne. Any legitimate coaching search could have found someone better than a career recruiter, who's recruiting contacts would be for a competitor of the school he was being hired at. Seriously, who is going to hire a career assistant coach thats 60 years old at a top 10 program unless a gun is being held to your head? Don't blame Josh for this mess, blame the folks who pressured him into making the hire or else.
Josh needs to act and pull the trigger pretty quickly or he’ll find himself in a position he won’t want to be in.

What’s to discuss? He will lose them that in revenue in half a season.
I'd like to believe the payback with firing Payne would be that fast, but there's no chance. Our basketball revenue would have to double overnight. We weren't a lot higher compared to where we are now when Mack was still here...

I haven't read his contract but I'm sure the firing without cause is pretty simple. However, I don't think it would be very hard for the University to make a good case for firing him WITH cause...
In every contract I've read for a head coach, there are stipulated offenses that the coach must not commit such as NCAA violations. The termination for cause language refers back to those offenses if they're committed.

And if those offenses are not committed, there's no basis for a for-cause firing. That doesn't mean you can't fire him anyway and try to negotiate something less as a buyout. But again, anyone who thinks you're going to easily screw over your only AA coach going out the door is kidding himself. Ain't happening...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT