ADVERTISEMENT

If you thought College Basketball was down this year, next year is worse

Ipartiedwithhopgood

Five-Star Poster
Jan 20, 2011
I was sunshine pumping our program last year when a lot of people were towing the negativity line. Reason being, I took a look at the broad picture and felt the quality of play overall was so bad, and given Rick's track record, we were going to be in line for a nice run - I was pretty much right, though I admit I did have us making the FF and missed by one round.

Anyway, fast forward to next year, and nobody really knows who to rate #1. Yes a lot of FR are unsigned, but the class is not as good as it's been over the years.

UNC had an inside track on preseason #1, but Tokoto went pro and they did lose 12 games last year. UVA may, just may get #1 but I believe they won't because voters don't trust their style. It is highly possible UK garners #1 preseason if they get a bunch of remaining top rated players, but I feel the loss of experienced players like Stein and the Harrison's could hurt them.

What I'm getting at is, there is a sense of doom and gloom here as Rick just kind of throws together the roster, but again, if you look around, there's not much out there. I think Rick could take 5 posters from this board and compete. He's throwing together a lot of youth with absolutely no returning scoring that scares anybody, yet, I have this suspicion we're going to drop games early but get hot late.

The ACC is tough, teams like Miami, NC St, Pitt, and Clemson are going to be improved and the standard top teams will also be good, so the league could eat us up.

I'm relatively optimistic, need to see us play. I think we could get to .500 in the league and make some noise. We'll see.

Originally posted by Ipartiedwithhopgood:

I was sunshine pumping our program last year when a lot of people were towing the negativity line. Reason being, I took a look at the broad picture and felt the quality of play overall was so bad, and given Rick's track record, we were going to be in line for a nice run - I was pretty much right, though I admit I did have us making the FF and missed by one round.

Anyway, fast forward to next year, and nobody really knows who to rate #1. Yes a lot of FR are unsigned, but the class is not as good as it's been over the years.

UNC had an inside track on preseason #1, but Tokoto went pro and they did lose 12 games last year. UVA may, just may get #1 but I believe they won't because voters don't trust their style. It is highly possible UK garners #1 preseason if they get a bunch of remaining top rated players, but I feel the loss of experienced players like Stein and the Harrison's could hurt them.

What I'm getting at is, there is a sense of doom and gloom here as Rick just kind of throws together the roster, but again, if you look around, there's not much out there. I think Rick could take 5 posters from this board and compete. He's throwing together a lot of youth with absolutely no returning scoring that scares anybody, yet, I have this suspicion we're going to drop games early but get hot late.

The ACC is tough, teams like Miami, NC St, Pitt, and Clemson are going to be improved and the standard top teams will also be good, so the league could eat us up.

I'm relatively optimistic, need to see us play. I think we could get to .500 in the league and make some noise. We'll see.
Preseason polls are useless but I can promise UofK will be ranked #1 due to the ESPN hype machine being put into overdrive. They'll pimp every new recruit, and the returning players will become can't miss first round draft choices. They will hype UofK because it will draw people to the SEC network which ESPN owns.

The Cards are going to struggle early but once the team gels, they'll be fine. I look for another solid year with at least a sweet sixteen run in the NCAA tourney.

Originally posted by Cue Card:

Preseason polls are useless but I can promise UofK will be ranked #1 due to the ESPN hype machine being put into overdrive. They'll pimp every new recruit, and the returning players will become can't miss first round draft choices. They will hype UofK because it will draw people to the SEC network which ESPN owns.

The Cards are going to struggle early but once the team gels, they'll be fine. I look for another solid year with at least a sweet sixteen run in the NCAA tourney.
I disagree depending on your definition of struggle. I think RP loads up the front end of the schedule with cupcakes, so we won't take many losses. May play poor, but talent will win out in most of them.

I see 2006 all over again. Start with all the easy games you can, then get into league play and things go south quickly. We wound up in NIT in 06, and with the brutality of the ACC schedule I can see it possibly happening again this year.

Originally posted by Kratz:
Originally posted by Cue Card:

I disagree depending on your definition of struggle. I think RP loads up the front end of the schedule with cupcakes, so we won't take many losses. May play poor, but talent will win out in most of them.

I see 2006 all over again. Start with all the easy games you can, then get into league play and things go south quickly. We wound up in NIT in 06, and with the brutality of the ACC schedule I can see it possibly happening again this year.
I don't see it near that bad. I see a 11-7 or 10-8 ACC slate and 1 or 2 losses in the non conference schedule. We'll end up around a 5 to 7 seed in the NCAA tourney with a shot at a 5th sweet sixteen. I admit my expectations for next year are lower than this past year. I don't think we'll be as strong, but we won't have a huge drop off either.

If Pitino lands Lee look out in the tourney. Rick will be able to press and trap with Q, trey, Mitchell and Lee unlike this year. We'll be better at the point and the 5 spot for sure. I'm hoping the press and trap D will yield good results.. Rick could not do that this year and we're a Mango outback from getting to the F4. Pitino has that fire which is soooo rare for a 60 year old! Don't count out the Cards!

hop makes an excellent point. The "how good are we?" question is always answered in a relative context..."How good is anyone else?"

If the overall quality of the game is declining--and it may well be--the contradiction is that you can be worse next year and still be better. As big time basketball fans, we don't really care. The ultimate indicator is wins and losses...

Originally posted by Louisville JD:
If Pitino lands Lee look out in the tourney. Rick will be able to press and trap with Q, trey, Mitchell and Lee unlike this year. We'll be better at the point and the 5 spot for sure. I'm hoping the press and trap D will yield good results.. Rick could not do that this year and we're a Mango outback from getting to the F4. Pitino has that fire which is soooo rare for a 60 year old! Don't count out the Cards!
Nailed it.This team and its coach will never go back to something they never were.They will compete at the highest level,maybe taking some lumps along the way early because of the newness of roles.

Team play and a desire to win will push this group much further ahead of what most expect.I'll come back and eat crow if they don't.

I think RP loads up the front end of the schedule with cupcakes, so we won't take many losses.

We play UK and IU, two teams that will be highly rated, and neither game will be a home game, so I think what you think is incorrect.

I see 2006 all over again.

We know you think this, you've produced roughly 50 posts in the last week stating this.

We wound up in NIT in 06, and with the brutality of the ACC schedule I can see it possibly happening again this year.

Again, we know you think this. I don't think ANYBODY has claimed this team is going to cut down nets next year.

However, as I've stated a couple times, some people aren't willing to punt on first down and want to at least give the team a chance. It's just so odd to see a UofL fan sharing so many negativity literally a few days after a season concluded, one in which we went to the E8 for what is now the 5th time in the last 8 years. I'm sure you're a great guy, but you don't come off very appreciative at all for what this program has done for the fans over the years.

It's just so strange to read somebody fire off so much doom and gloom for a program that has been sitting high for awhile now.

If this program was coming off a number of disappointing seasons I would understand your style, and probably join you. But, we've been good, and you just come off entitled and unappreciative.

laugh.r191677.gif
There is no chance we end up in the NIT next year. We will probably do about what we did this year. We won't be at the bottom of the ACC.

I see 2006 all over again.

Next year will be 2015/2016 so an NIT berth once every 9/10 years is not a big deal - nearly all programs go to the NIT on occasion.

UK, considered arguably the top program now, has ben to the NIT twice since 2006. UNC went to the NIT in 2010.

Trying to give you perspective, though it seems you aren't really interested.

Don't look now but our roster is shaping up and it looks like we're going to be competitive yet again.

Most teams have used a zone defense against us in recent years but it looks like Rick has loaded up w/ some shooting this off season, so we bring a different look.

Don't look now but our roster is shaping up and it looks like we're going to be competitive yet again.

Most teams have used a zone defense against us in recent years but it looks like Rick has loaded up w/ some shooting this off season, so we bring a different look.

That's what I'm really hoping for with this team. I got tired of seeing other teams play that packed in zone against the Cards and would love for this team to be able to make opponents pay with great outside shooting.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT