ADVERTISEMENT

Heird: "...we knew that this was going to be another rebuilding year..."

It was an atrocious hire. It does make everyone question the process. We can debate why KP was selected. I won’t go down that rabbit hole because the leadership at the University was in flux at the time. It was a perfect time for key boosters-community leaders to throw around their influence.

There was a plan there just wasn’t a plan for these results. When it comes to the basketball program the University and Athletic Department decided to play the victim. KP is managing the program like it is a victim. Leaders never play the victim. The players and program didn’t need healing they needed leaders.

Here is the question why is the leadership lacking at the University and Athletic Department only as it relates to basketball? All the other sports are thriving. If leadership is bad it is usually across the board.
A few questions…

Why were we still in flux nearly five years after the regime takeover?

Why do you think their mismanagement “only relates to basketball?” What did you know about the status of the primary revenue sport (football) in 2023? Maybe recency bias at work?

What have they done to improve the profile of the remaining sports? There’s close to 20 of them.

And you wanna talk about our finances?…

A few questions…

Why were we still in flux nearly five years after the regime takeover?

Why do you think their mismanagement “only relates to basketball?” What did you know about the status of the primary revenue sport (football) in 2023? Maybe recency bias at work?

What have they done to improve the profile of the remaining sports? There’s close to 20 of them.

And you wanna talk about our finances?…
I will ask you the question where is the mismanagement in the other sports? Unlike you I evaluate programs based off their on the field performance.

This is a Louisville basketball problem and has been for 6-7 years.

I will ask you the question where is the mismanagement in the other sports? Unlike you I evaluate programs based off their on the field performance.

This is a Louisville basketball problem and has been for 6-7 years.
Who’s been in charge for those 6-7 years? Where are men’s basketball programs like Kansas and Arizona in 2024? They were in the FBI crosshairs too.

Where was the football program a little more than a year ago? Attendance was the lowest since K-rag. Football season tickets were around 30K. (Stadium capacity in 1998 was 38K.) I can list stadium operating revenues as further evidence.

Men’s basketball was already in the dirt, and football was headed that way. In the latter case, the current Cincy coach bailed us out.

Which U of L sport under the leadership of a coach hired since 2017 is killing it like a Walz or Busboom-Kelly does? None come to mind.

Which programs have seen new capital investment of any significance since 2017?

This is an athletic department currently living off its past and assets that were left behind, now fully depleted. It’s why we have no working capital and no liquidity. It’s why paying big buyout money is a pipe dream, and we have a fledgling AD tap dancing in front of a camera…

Reactions: swurv99
Who’s been in charge for those 6-7 years? Where are men’s basketball programs like Kansas and Arizona in 2024? They were in the FBI crosshairs too.

Where was the football program a little more than a year ago? Attendance was the lowest since K-rag. Football season tickets were around 30K. (Stadium capacity in 1998 was 38K.) I can list stadium operating revenues as further evidence.

Men’s basketball was already in the dirt, and football was headed that way. In the latter case, the current Cincy coach bailed us out.

Which U of L sport under the leadership of a coach hired since 2017 is killing it like a Walz or Busboom-Kelly does? None come to mind.

Which programs have seen new capital investment of any significance since 2017?

This is an athletic department currently living off its past and assets that were left behind, now fully depleted. It’s why we have no working capital and no liquidity. It’s why paying big buyout money is a pipe dream, and we have a fledgling AD tap dancing in front of a camera…
Didn’t answer the question. What specifically has been mismanaged besides basketball? You won’t answer because they haven’t been. Coaches leave all the time you yourself have called them
Mercenaries. Strange the leadership is so bad they all stayed.

There has been different people in leadership the last 6-7 years.

We all agree basketball has been mismanaged but stop dragging the whole department down. As a whole it has been pretty damn good.

Last edited:
Didn’t answer the question. What specifically has been mismanaged besides basketball? You won’t answer because they haven’t been. Coaches leave all the time you yourself have called them
Mercenaries. Strange the leadership is so bad they all stayed.

There has been different people in leadership the last 6-7 years.

We all agree basketball has been mismanaged but stop dragging the whole department down. As a whole it has been pretty damn good.
Nothing besides mens basketball. When I hear regime I think of sandinistas. I guess we have commie regime in charge of the university. Every other sport is just fine. We have just replaced jurich and porchino with payne. Nothing is hurting other than the payne part.

Let me spell it out for everyone…

The two revenue sports were dog $hit and rapidly heading for dog $hit.

Basketball needs no discussion.

Football attendance in 2022 was 41,692. We averaged over 50K in the stadium between the expansion year of 2010 and 2017. Game day revenues in football were down almost 40% or $8.8 million between 2017 and the 2022 season adjusting for inflation. Season ticket sales in 2022 were barely 30K, the lowest since the new stadium opened.

HALF of the head coaches here in 2017 were replaced within a few years. None of those replacement coaches are doing anything noteworthy.

The only thing a new regime apologist can hang its hat on is Jeff Brohm, a guy we were supposed to hire five years ago. (Clowns are in frequent need of mulligans...) And the plan for 2023 was to bring back Satterfield who along with our stellar management team led us to the remarkable football accomplishments I just chronicled. That was until Satterfield gave us a gift from heaven. And we got a coach now who's never wanted to be anywhere else long term.

THAT is about as succinctly as I can describe an athletic department that sets a new standard almost daily, and with too many fans who can't recognize--or refuse to--what's going on...

Last edited:
Reactions: swurv99
What athletic program at Louisville has shit the bed over the last 10 years? Basketball? You know, that ass you have as an avatar? We used to have the top earning basketball program in the NCAA. not any more. Now we have an uneducated moron coaching our program because of the scandals Pitino created. I mean seriously, he coached at UK, He left. Ended up at Louisville. Traitor Rick creates scandals at the entire states opponent. You don't think the hammer will drop from Frankfurt? He was a good coach but he, and he alone is responsible for the crap we are dealing with now. So the short and long answer is Pitino and Pitino. Downhill since his shit. Adultery, strippers and paying players. The 3 horseman of the apocalypse.

Oh, and let's not forget the huge buyout for petrino. If a guy is going to leave a buyout is fine but 17 mil? He wasn't Jesus Christ. Your heros are just as responsible for the deficit we are in as anyone, if not more so.

Yeah I don’t recall talking much about my life experiences. Nice try, stalker…
Perhaps not, but plenty of others here have dummy. And given much of the information seems rather sordid, it’s no surprise that you’d be ashamed enough to be silent about it.

There is nothing gained by mis-directing UL financial woes to Pitino. The statement that “he (Pitino) alone is responsible“ is inaccurate. The Sypher affair was indeed humiliating, but it did not cost UL a single penny. The strippergate affair goes directly to McGee, and there was never any evidence that Pitino was engaged in payments to Bowen family.

This is not a defense of Pitino, just pointing out the distortion that “Pitino alone” is responsible for the on-court and off-court mess that UL is experiencing.

It should be clear that Postel and the BoT that fired Tom Jurich without cause and without the benefit of an internal investigation is responsible for the colossal financial damage.

Reactions: the artist FKA zipp
We all understand your issue is strictly financial mismanagement because of the hires made in the 2 revenue sports. You keep condemning people that weren’t in leadership for the 6-7 years. You always deflect Jurich and Pitinio’s responsibility in what started the ball rolling.

Since you are $$$ guy explain how UCONN which is running constantly at a deficit is elite in men’s and women’s basketball? The answer is pretty simple it’s their coaches, the players, and boosters those coaches attract. The right coach turns this around. The days of $40m may never come back but the right coach can make it an elite program again.

Money follows leadership and winning.

Reactions: TPACardsFan
Funny you use UConn as an example; do you have any understanding as to just how financially strong UConn is? UConn is uniquely endowed, and the Storrs community has no in-state competitors for its support.

It is not “just about money”, but why do you think UL cannot rid itself of Payne? We had leadership before Dr Ramsey was ushered out.

I know they have fans that a very passionate about their basketball. No denying that. They almost had to shut down football.

The ACC in all the other non revenue sports is elite. Louisville competes for titles in those sports. The football team just played in the ACC Title game. He has one of the top transfer classes again which all cost money. Soccer was ranked all year. Volleyball elite 8. Swimming and diving is excellent. Women’s basketball lives in the Elite 8. Track and field is competitive. Yeah there is zero leadership, come on.

Did I miss the press release that KP is coming back for year 3? Let’s see what happens.

What athletic program at Louisville has shit the bed over the last 10 years? Basketball? You know, that ass you have as an avatar? We used to have the top earning basketball program in the NCAA. not any more. Now we have an uneducated moron coaching our program because of the scandals Pitino created. I mean seriously, he coached at UK, He left. Ended up at Louisville. Traitor Rick creates scandals at the entire states opponent. You don't think the hammer will drop from Frankfurt? He was a good coach but he, and he alone is responsible for the crap we are dealing with now. So the short and long answer is Pitino and Pitino. Downhill since his shit. Adultery, strippers and paying players. The 3 horseman of the apocalypse.
You obviously don’t know the football program numbers which in 2024 is far and away your major revenue sport…

Oh, and let's not forget the huge buyout for petrino. If a guy is going to leave a buyout is fine but 17 mil? He wasn't Jesus Christ. Your heros are just as responsible for the deficit we are in as anyone, if not more so.
Petrino’s buyout before he arrived here the 2nd time was $18 MILLION at Arkansas. Looks like $14 million was a deal…

I know they have fans that a very passionate about their basketball. No denying that. They almost had to shut down football.

The ACC in all the other non revenue sports is elite. Louisville competes for titles in those sports. The football team just played in the ACC Title game. He has one of the top transfer classes again which all cost money. Soccer was ranked all year. Volleyball elite 8. Swimming and diving is excellent. Women’s basketball lives in the Elite 8. Track and field is competitive. Yeah there is zero leadership, come on.

Did I miss the press release that KP is coming back for year 3? Let’s see what happens.
Cycle: first, I need to apologize, as my earlier response to you was misdirected, as I assumed that your post was directed to me. After reviewing the thread, I believe it was intended towards Zipp.

With that said, my point about "lack of leadership" was not confined to sports, but more about the University in general, sports is just the most visible.

"The football team just played in the ACC Title game. He has one of the top transfer classes again which all cost money. Soccer was ranked all year. Volleyball elite 8. Swimming and diving is excellent. Women’s basketball lives in the Elite 8. Track and field is competitive. Yeah there is zero leadership, come on."

Most if not all of the sports that you identified (except football), I believe qualify as Title IX, and are essentially non-revenue by nature. Women's BB may be the exception as well, but regardless your point is still well-made. I believe UL history, and its past leadership explains virtually everything that is indeed healthy and successful at UL right now, but to be honest I think the leadership that took over for Dr Ramsey and Tom Jurich are the beneficiaries of past hires and management.

Hindsight is 20/20, so I concede that it is easy for me to imagine "what if" here. However, had Postel and the BOT allowed TJ the time and resources to run his investigation into the FBI Report; UL could very well have avoided the calamity that we experienced ever since and that continues. Kansas serves as an example of a school and an Administration that refused to terminate the AD and Bill Self when the accusations came out about his paying players.

Watching Rick Pitino back at St John's serves as a reminder of the value in being patient and resistant to the "rush to judgement", particularly when the sources are media and/or government (FBI).

…Since you are $$$ guy explain how UCONN which is running constantly at a deficit is elite in men’s and women’s basketball? The answer is pretty simple it’s their coaches, the players, and boosters those coaches attract. The right coach turns this around. The days of $40m may never come back but the right coach can make it an elite program again.

Money follows leadership and winning.
No, UConn isn’t in the ACC. Our finances would be where UConn’s are otherwise. Our numbers are terrible even with almost $50 million of media revenues coming in annually.

We’re on athletics welfare now from the ACC and the University…

Last edited:
Pro tip - if you don’t want people to be made aware of your malfeasance - don’t conduct yourself in a malfeasant way.

lol - “ferret it out”… 😂
I don’t owe you or anyone else a damn thing to be able to post here ON TOPIC.

You’re trying to cover for your pathetic obsession. Own who/what you are…

How far back are we going on the administration slamming for all athletics being bad? Our men’s championship basketball banners once hung in freedom hall. Thank you Denny. It was Coach Howard Schnellenberger who made U of L believe we could succeed in football. And those tickets shouldn’t come with a cup of gas station coffee. All our great coaches in non revenue sports have been retained and seem happy here.

We all know what Jurich did and built here as AD. But the shortcuts, and pushing the envelope by Ramsey, Jurich and Pitino gave the governor all the reason needed to clean house on the board. It wasn’t just the athletic stuff. There were questions about university foundation funds that were being stonewalled. Even the university’s accreditation was being investigated.

It’s ok to have rose colored glasses about a hero or two or three. Some of these arguments also require them to have a heavy covering of horsecrap for that view.

No, UConn isn’t in the ACC. Our finances would be where UConn’s are otherwise. Our numbers are terrible even with almost $50 million of media revenues coming in annually.

We’re on athletics welfare now from the ACC and the University…
I agree but they are still Elite in basketball. It goes deeper than $$ which is my point.

They stick with Payne or blow the next hire by trying to meet quota’s or get in the way of the next guy I am all ears to the lack of leadership.

I don’t owe you or anyone else a damn thing to be able to post here ON TOPIC.

You’re trying to cover for your pathetic obsession. Own who/what you are…
Lol - your unhappiness with being called out is once again leading you to project your failings onto others in the most banal and textbook way.

Sad.

Reactions: TPACardsFan
...But the shortcuts, and pushing the envelope by Ramsey, Jurich and Pitino gave the governor all the reason needed to clean house on the board...
That's just opinion and rehetoric...
...There were questions about university foundation funds that were being stonewalled. Even the university’s accreditation was being investigated...
...And that's unsubstantiated by the KY Auditor's report in the aftermath, nor was it confirmed by any criminal prosecutions. Stealing money is a criminal offense last time I checked. You're just mud slinging.

What were the results of that "investigation" into accreditation?...
...It’s ok to have rose colored glasses about a hero or two or three. Some of these arguments also require them to have a heavy covering of horsecrap for that view.
I'll simply check our finances since these alleged perpetrators left the scene for all of the proof I need of what was going on...

Last edited:
I agree but they are still Elite in basketball. It goes deeper than $$ which is my point...
UConn is subsidizing its athletics programs. That's spending, not revenue.

When they have to balance their budget using only revenue that athletics generates, let me know how good their basketball program is...

It’s not opinion and rhetoric that the governor sacked the U of L board amidst an onslaught of bad press, and scandals in the front office. That was the Ramsey guy.

The state may have let the athletic woes play out in the NCAA investigation. Or even the FBI one. Remember University 6? My bifocals are clear. So people pushing fuzzy math, revisionist history or superheroes can carry that cross alone.

Reactions: BPGhost
It’s not opinion and rhetoric that the governor sacked the U of L board amidst an onslaught of bad press, and scandals in the front office. That was the Ramsey guy.

The state may have let the athletic woes play out in the NCAA investigation. Or even the FBI one. Remember University 6? My bifocals are clear. So people pushing fuzzy math, revisionist history or superheroes can carry that cross alone.
You didn't state it factually. You said "gave the governor all the reason" which means you THINK he was justified. That's an opinion.

And nothing was done by anyone. Investigation after investigation. Allegation is not finding. And the record speaks for itself...

Yes the record does speak for itself. We don't have an NCAA men's banner from anyone but the coach Tom fired. Fans can say we won those games, but check the sports almanac. Also looks like football revenues are trending up after the hiring of CJB.

May be another thread, but wasn't he an assistant here once and fired by a previous coach and AD?

• Haha
Reactions: Ipartiedwithhopgood
There is nothing gained by mis-directing UL financial woes to Pitino. The statement that “he (Pitino) alone is responsible“ is inaccurate. The Sypher affair was indeed humiliating, but it did not cost UL a single penny. The strippergate affair goes directly to McGee, and there was never any evidence that Pitino was engaged in payments to Bowen family.

This is not a defense of Pitino, just pointing out the distortion that “Pitino alone” is responsible for the on-court and off-court mess that UL is experiencing.

It should be clear that Postel and the BoT that fired Tom Jurich without cause and without the benefit of an internal investigation is responsible for the colossal financial damage.
Who put Jurich in the position to be railroaded by Postel and the BOT? I mean it wasn't just an out of the blue snap decision because everything was squeaky clean right? Whether Pitino was responsible or evidence was lacking is irrelevant. Captain of the ship and all. Once? OK a slap on the wrist? Although I wouldn't call having a title vacated as a slap on the wrist. Twice? Time to be shown the door since he obviously couldn't hire trustworthy assistants anymore. Add Sypher in at the beginning to start the slide and here we are. Yes more bad hires followed both administration and coaching but it is not hard to figure where it started.

• Haha
Reactions: Ipartiedwithhopgood
UConn is subsidizing its athletics programs. That's spending, not revenue.

When they have to balance their budget using only revenue that athletics generates, let me know how good their basketball program is...
I agree, it really isn’t about leadership in the athletic program.

It is about leadership on the court. That is my point. Jeff Brohm has shown the value of having a great leader in charge of the program. The return is almost immediate. We will have to see if he can sustain it.

Louisville doesn’t have to invest in buildings thanks to Jurich. Now it is about obtaining-retaining leaders for their programs. Now it’s about having NIL competitive. They screwed up the basketball hire just like UConn did with Kevin Ollie. Let’s see if they can find our version of Hurley before saying the current leadership is a mess.

Who put Jurich in the position to be railroaded by Postel and the BOT? I mean it wasn't just an out of the blue snap decision because everything was squeaky clean right? Whether Pitino was responsible or evidence was lacking is irrelevant. Captain of the ship and all. Once? OK a slap on the wrist? Although I wouldn't call having a title vacated as a slap on the wrist. Twice? Time to be shown the door since he obviously couldn't hire trustworthy assistants anymore. Add Sypher in at the beginning to start the slide and here we are. Yes more bad hires followed both administration and coaching but it is not hard to figure where it started.
The hiring of TJ was one of the best decisions this University ever made. The decision to terminate him was one of the worst decisions any University ever made.

Remember the ultimatum that Postel delivered to Jurich, and more importantly recall what TJ requested …….. “just time to perform an investigation into the accusations that were leveled towards UL BB Program”. All of which were identified in an unprecedented FBI Report, that included innuendo and misrepresentations, some of which were proven to be false during Grand Jury testimony.

The consequences of those decisions are what prompts these exchanges. UL is living it out in real time now.

Reactions: the artist FKA zipp
I got it. You're a we-don't-deserve-that-banner pu$$y.

Anything else you wanna clarify for me?...
Wow. You are melting down. Chevelle has reduced you to a vulgar personal insult bomb thrower.

You are also serving him up a straw man debate. Now this is on brand but the vulgarity is new. He never said the banner wasn't deserved. He correctly pointed out the banner is down.

In this life what you deserve is irrelevant. You are more likely to get what you work for. Self imposing a post season ban means you will not earn a national title that year. It may stop a deeper more damaging investigation into other actions. CRP went on to coach again because he is an awesome basketball coach.

I have learned this a pointless argument. People claim there is a KP Mafia it is nothing like the Jurich Mafia. He did no wrong, he is the sole reason every Louisville team won and is still winning games. The losses and problems were all someone else’s fault, coaches, players, administrators and politicians.

They can’t admit these 2 things are true he was a great AD and he was a big factor in both revenue programs demise. They can’t admit he created enemies. They eventually got him. Then he doubles down and intentionally hurts the atheltic department that he supposedly loved. He loved his power.

Reactions: Mike'sMarbles
Nothing in Heird’s comment was in support of KP on the contrary he was just stretching the time without saying anything about supporting KP. KPs gone and Heird will make the call when the time is right.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT