ADVERTISEMENT

Women's championship game

Carson is doing to Iowa what Clark normally does to teams. Iowa is flustered

LSU is so talented and so deep; their use of the portal is the equivalent of a professional franchise using free agency to win championships.

Iowa scored 42 points in the first half and trail by 17? Caitlin’s 2nd offensive foul was retaliation for being grabbed……, as already stated, she lost control and that is a credit to Mulkey getting into her head, as she has the fouls to give.

Looks like Supergirls run is over. It took another team shooting the lights out.

Why was LSU a 3 seed with only two losses?

Reactions: Bardman
I have watched LSU play 3 times this year before this game and they have never looked this good. It is just their night everything they are throwing up is going in including that prayer before halftime.

Typical inconsistent calls by the refs. The horrendous officiating in WBB is on full display. And what makes it worse is that the announcers validate the poor officiating

Supposedly they are supposed to stay within the coaches box and that box does not include the court of play.

That ref decided the game on that tech. Took Czinano out when Iowa was making ground. Total game changer by the ref. That s... should get a fine on the ref and a suspension.

Reactions: KozmasAgain
That out of bounds call was telling on the refs. The LSU player steps out of bounds and the ref standing 10 feet away looking right at it made no call. The ref underneath the basket had to come over to make the call out of bounds.

The only thing Iowa is missing is a big that is tall, their current big is 6’3”.

I think the refs determined the outcome of this game in the 1st half.
It happens to often in WBB. Heck it happened to us in the Final 4 in Columbus against Miss ST. The refs pretty much gave them the game at the end.

I think that was his intent this year - just didn’t work out.

I think that was his intent this year - just didn’t work out.
Yes, he struck out on Jones and thought Verhultz was ready to make the move upward. He apparently wasn't aware Morgan couldn't shoot a lick and that Peyton would transfer.

It left him with virtually no wing forward threat except for Russell who was 3rd string going into the season.

Yes, he struck out on Jones and thought Verhultz was ready to make the move upward. He apparently wasn't aware Morgan couldn't shoot a lick and that Peyton would transfer.

It left him with virtually no wing forward threat except for Russell who was 3rd string going into the season.
Jones game apparently is drive to the basket and that was it. Worked at FSU but not here. Very disappointing

I told my wife 5 minutes into the game, “those officials were not going to let Iowa win“.

As it turned out, LSU did not need the officials help ……but they got it just in case. ESPN has a lot invested in the SEC, and they are influencing every way possible.

With the kind of ratings the women's games received hopefully there will be more scrutiny by the NCAA on the officiating. Nationally there are many decrying how badly the national championship game was officiated. Particularly the tech on Clark while Mulkey was allowed to get away with running on the court and twice bumping into a ref.

I was just watching national news and they were commenting on how bad the officiating was. Hopefully all these complaint’s won’t fall on deaf ears and the NCAA will do something about it. They could start by making a public announcement apologizing for how bad it was and let everyone know the 3 refs are under review. They should never work an NCAA tournament game again.

Reactions: CardX
LSU is so talented and so deep; their use of the portal is the equivalent of a professional franchise using free agency to win championships.

Iowa scored 42 points in the first half and trail by 17? Caitlin’s 2nd offensive foul was retaliation for being grabbed……, as already stated, she lost control and that is a credit to Mulkey getting into her head, as she has the fouls to give.
Texas won the volleyball championship with a total revamped roster.

LSU just won the basketball championship with a totally revamped roster.

Winning is all that matters, but, you kind of hate to see teams no longer building something fresh from scratch.

Can't help but wonder if McDonnell is missing the boat on use of the portal. Sure, we've got new players, but they either hail from the Juco ranks or are true frosh.

Here are some observations that I made, while watching the title game...

• I said it before... and I will say it again. Dawn Staley had no respect for Caitlin Clark. Their defense was lazy in guarding her. She had a decisive advantage in athleticism and size when compared to us. LSU chased Clark around and frustrated her. Sort if like we did, but with taller players, and they "stayed connected" to her more than we did... on the screens and double teams. She had 5x 3-pointers in 1st half... only 2 or 3 in 2nd half. Her 30 points, she really had to WORK hard for them... she also had a lot of turnovers...and not a lot of assists. This was the power of making her team mates work hard on both ends of the floor, while defending her. I think LSU had more athleticsm than we did, but certainly not more length.
  • Mulkey has watched a team "UNEXPECTEDLY" shoot bonkers-lights-out from 3-point range... against a team that not only was not prepared for it, but overlooked their opponents ability to shoot the 3. 2013 Sweet 16... when we knocked her Baylor Team out of the tournament under a barrage of 3's. So she clearly employed that strategy to just bomb Iowa into a 17 point lead in the 1st half. Iowa concentrated on LSU's to interior players who were Elite... And therefore, Mulky had her gaurds ready to hoist up 3-pointers no matter what. Iowa wasn't ready for that. 2nd half, they defended the 3-pointers, but LSU's 1 guard stepped up their "Mid-range" game.
  • The game was physical on both sides. Mulkey stepped out of the box alot... but so does Rick Pitino. If you know the refs, and they know you... they won't slap you until you tick em off real good. All ELITE\GOOD coaches have relationships with refs... that allows them to get away with different parts of the the rules as long as its not advantageous. Calling a Tech on a coach outside the coaches box does nothing for the game. Calling a tech on a coach who is outside of the coaching box, cussing\bawling screeching away the refs...degrades the game.
  • The tech against Clark... I just don't know. Clark whines a bit when she is getting fouled. It was a case of the ref realizing that they were about to get hit with a wave of emotion from the players and their jawing at them and each other. YES, players run and complain to the refs, about scratches, grabs, etc... Its ROUGH being a ref.... you have half the people in the stadium verbally jumping on you from fans to the players to the coaches, while the other half is bawling thier fists up in fury... Then you have aplayer who has been yapping all game at other players, and you... slap the ball out of bounds on the heals of your calling the biggest foul call of the game... did I tell you refs sometimes get caught up in emotionalism of the game too?
  • As for the taunting... pshhh Reese gets no negativitity from me. Clark, has been ramped up and amped up for past 3 years when she burst onto the scene. She trash talks like an old-school Larry Bird or Michael Jordan. She trash talked our girls at the end of the game and during the game...like it was nothing. I have seen her get into it with other teams, over the past 2 years... and the CC's and analysts make excuses for her like 'She is just passionate and fiery competitor". What did she tell HVL "Shut up you're down by 15". I get the feeling she got on Jeff's last nerves and he may her let her know she was nothing special, when he was coaching her for the U17 World games (or was it U18?).... and so she may have had it out for him to. At this stage, she is CERTAINLY good for the women's game.
  • Overall, I feel like Clark is Elite. On the college level she is the best player period. She is Sabrina Ionescu with more height... and more range.. albeit her shooting percentages and assist and rebounds are a tick less Sabrina's was, her scoring seems to be 2 or 3 ticks better.... I also wonder though if Iowa's system is what helps Clark a lot. Its literally the same as IU's, except less defense... and with Clark as a mad gunner. I mean you have 6 players shooting 37-43% from 3-point range...

Last edited:
Reactions: BooneCo_Card
Here are some observations that I made, while watching the title game...

• I said it before... and I will say it again. Dawn Staley had no respect for Caitlin Clark. Their defense was lazy in guarding her. She had a decisive advantage in athleticism and size when compared to us. LSU chased Clark around and frustrated her. Sort if like we did, but with taller players, and they "stayed connected" to her more than we did... on the screens and double teams. She had 5x 3-pointers in 1st half... only 2 or 3 in 2nd half. Her 30 points, she really had to WORK hard for them... she also had a lot of turnovers...and not a lot of assists. This was the power of making her team mates work hard on both ends of the floor, while defending her. I think LSU had more athleticsm than we did, but certainly not more length.
  • Mulkey has watched a team "UNEXPECTEDLY" shoot bonkers-lights-out from 3-point range... against a team that not only was not prepared for it, but overlooked their opponents ability to shoot the 3. 2013 Sweet 16... when we knocked her Baylor Team out of the tournament under a barrage of 3's. So she clearly employed that strategy to just bomb Iowa into a 17 point lead in the 1st half. Iowa concentrated on LSU's to interior players who were Elite... And therefore, Mulky had her gaurds ready to hoist up 3-pointers no matter what. Iowa wasn't ready for that. 2nd half, they defended the 3-pointers, but LSU's 1 guard stepped up their "Mid-range" game.
  • The game was physical on both sides. Mulkey stepped out of the box alot... but so does Rick Pitino. If you know the refs, and they know you... they won't slap you until you tick em off real good. All ELITE\GOOD coaches have relationships with refs... that allows them to get away with different parts of the the rules as long as its not advantageous. Calling a Tech on a coach outside the coaches box does nothing for the game. Calling a tech on a coach who is outside of the coaching box, cussing\bawling screeching away the refs...degrades the game.
  • The tech against Clark... I just don't know. Clark whines a bit when she is getting fouled. It was a case of the ref realizing that they were about to get hit with a wave of emotion from the players and their jawing at them and each other. YES, players run and complain to the refs, about scratches, grabs, etc... Its ROUGH being a ref.... you have half the people in the stadium verbally jumping on you from fans to the players to the coaches, while the other half is bawling thier fists up in fury... Then you have aplayer who has been yapping all game at other players, and you... slap the ball out of bounds on the heals of your calling the biggest foul call of the game... did I tell you refs sometimes get caught up in emotionalism of the game too?
  • As for the taunting... pshhh Reese gets no negativitity from me. Clark, has been ramped up and amped up for past 3 years when she burst onto the scene. She trash talks like an old-school Larry Bird or Michael Jordan. She trash talked our girls at the end of the game and during the game...like it was nothing. I have seen her get into it with other teams, over the past 2 years... and the CC's and analysts make excuses for her like 'She is just passionate and fiery competitor". What did she tell HVL "Shut up you're down by 15". I get the feeling she got on Jeff's last nerves and he may her let her know she was nothing special, when he was coaching her for the U17 World games (or was it U18?).... and so she may have had it out for him to. At this stage, she is CERTAINLY good for the women's game.
  • Overall, I feel like Clark is Elite. On the college level she is the best player period. She is Sabrina Ionescu with more height... and more range.. albeit her shooting percentages and assist and rebounds are a tick less Sabrina's was, her scoring seems to be 2 or 3 ticks better.... I also wonder though if Iowa's system is what helps Clark a lot. Its literally the same as IU's, except less defense... and with Clark as a mad gunner. I mean you have 6 players shooting 37-43% from 3-point range...
Excellent analysis and post.

What goes around comes around, Caitlin. He/she who laughs last, laughs best.

You are an immense talent, act like it. From what I read today, you have no problem with Reese's actions. Good for you.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT