ADVERTISEMENT

Where is Kade McClure? (Baseball)

TheRealVille

5000+
Apr 27, 2015
Sorry Hoops fans, but since the baseball forum is premium for some unknown reason, many of us converse the Cards baseball team here.

The ACC announced its awards and all conference players today and the Cards dominated. Five on the 1st team. But for some reason that I haven't seen tried to be explained is how is P, Kade McClure nowhere to be seen? The dude is 11-0 with a 2.50 ERA. Yes, he pitched during the midweek but has beaten UK twice as well as Vandy. Doesn't he deserve some kind of accolade?

The ACC I guess doesn't want Louisville to be too dominate with a 10th player on the three all-conference teams. I think there needs to be some kind of explanation on why McClure was ignored despite his awesome stats on a top 5 team.

My only guess would be that the ACC only considered in-conference games and Cade only pitched in relief. Hopefully not too many teams know about how good he really is. We had a pretty good nonconference schedule with IU, Vandy, UK and ole Miss.

My only guess would be that the ACC only considered in-conference games and Cade only pitched in relief. Hopefully not too many teams know about how good he really is. We had a pretty good nonconference schedule with IU, Vandy, UK and ole Miss.
That can't be it can it?. What sport only counts conference games? All 9 of the Cards who made the all teams played in a lot of non-conference games. Would some position player be excluded if he batted 250 in conference games with 5 HR's but hit 395 with 10 HR's in non-conference games? His total numbers would be great. I wonder. I never considered that. Kade McClure is still a ACC player playing for a ACC team. He represents the ACC does he not?

Well when they quote stats for each player, they used in conference stats. Also the coaches vote for the players and since none of the team's faced McClure they couldn't rightly vote for him.

Midweek starters don't make all conference teams. Cade was a midweek starter because he could not break into the best rotation in college baseball. The Pitcher of The Year in the ACC was Drew Harrington who still may well be our third best pitcher, lol. Oh, I loved that he won the award - and he deserves it as much as anyone. Our best pitcher right now is probably Funk - who may very well still be drafted higher than last season. You don't throw 97 MPH during a regular season ballgame and expect major league scouts to overlook you. His velocity this year began the season at 89-92. He was obviously troubled and felt pressure. But that was then, ha ha.

If you want an egregious omission, consider that the little Mondue guy who we consistently punked for Wake made the first team over Nick Solak. Or that Devin Hairston with the .370 batting average (highest shortstop avg in the conference) and the unparalleled defensive POY at that position, made the third team. When Solak went down, he was hitting .456 - lol, an unheard of BA. He was widely considered the best second baseman in the college game - nationally, easily the All American at his position. Considering when he came back, his average now is 2 points below .400 means that he shook off a bit of rust and still charged right back into things. Defensively, no one in America can do what Nick does either, but that's maybe privileged information. But - and this may be larger - his return coincided with our winning streak and the fact that we won 95% of the games he returned and played in. Nick Solak made a 5th ranked team 20% better, just defensively. And he his third in the best lineup in the country.

I suspect the conference just couldn't pull the string for 2 more UofL guys making the first team. Local biases, Solak;s injury, Hairston's lack of preseason hype as sophomore gave an out to voters.

The BC coach said Louisville was the one of the best college teams he has ever seen play the game. I think we have something rare going on.........better watch while you can. No one will ever repeat what we have here now.

Initially I felt the same way about Solak but again you have to take into consideration that he missed a big part of the ACC regular season so I think to get him on the 2nd team was fortunate.

Did you see Mondue play? He was on the field last weekend with Solak out there. Or are you mentioning something out of a purely theoretical position?

It's not about how individual players against each other. If you are a coach you go back and look to see what that player did against your team. Chances are Mondue had good games against them. It's not about just looking at overall stats.

Senore,

You definitely have hit on something. Mondue had a so so season and didn't even rank in the top ACC categories. What he did have going for him is that he is a repeat All-ACC performer, which means the coaches still believe he deserved it even though he may not have had a great year... Plus again the fact that Solak was hurt.

More info on Mondue. He was a 3rd team all-American, 1st team all ACC, Dick Howser finalist, all District and USA Collegiate National Team alternate last year. So yes, he probably earned his All ACC status last year.

More info on Mondue. He was a 3rd team all-American, 1st team all ACC, Dick Howser finalist, all District and USA Collegiate National Team alternate last year. So yes, he probably earned his All ACC status last year.
During the game thread on another board, I said very loud and clear that I really liked Mondue. He is a scrappy little fireplug of a guy, gorgeous to watch in action. But I would take Nick, 10 times out of ten over him. More range, better hitter, maybe just as good a leader.

But yeah, last season's stats are what won it for him. Thanks for doing your homework - I didn't know any of that either, ha ha. I just went on the eye test. Nick is one reason our club has a low ERA. That's what defense does.

That's the other thing about baseball is stereotypes. When you think of an Allstar 2nd baseman, you automatically think of someone like Dustin Pedroia. Short, scrappy hustling, hard nosed ball player. Coaches look for those type of guys who fit the mold per say.

I like a hungry Nick Solak going into this part of the season.If he's hungry,his buddies are too.

Ditto that for the little guy playing shortstop.Couldn't be prouder of a position player wearing Red and Black than Hairston.

Ditto that for the little guy playing shortstop.Couldn't be prouder of a position player wearing Red and Black than Hairston.
Hairston's defense is breathtaking. Furthermore, proving his incredibleness, lol - he makes it look easy.

Back-to-back jacks by Smith and Solak make it 7-2 UofL.
Cade has officially arrived at the elite level of college pitching. After experiencing his introductory humiliation at post season play, he dominated their bats to a degree we have rarely seen from this team's national best pitching staff.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT