ADVERTISEMENT

What defensive sets will Brian Van Gorder be running?

I heard someone say he runs a 4-3. We are building up to that with the emphasis on DL recruiting. I think we have a decent group of LBs but we haven’t pulled enough top flight guys lately to remain in that base defense. Hicks, Etheridge, Stewart, Abdullah, Pass, and Avery are the only guys I can think of that play LB and 3 are converted DBs. We just brought in 6 DL, 4 of which I believe can crack the rotation day 1:
Boykin
Love
Goldwire
Jackson
On top of that we have Greenard returning to play DE and GG at DT.
We are looking at 4 down linemen for the next defensive set IMO.

I love a 4-3-4 for the base defense and 4-2-5 for specific passing situations. But you need a special 5th back that is a strong safety-small linebacker hybrid type.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cardinal Cash
I love a 4-3-4 for the base defense and 4-2-5 for specific passing situations. But you need a special 5th cack that is a strong safety-small linebacker hybrid type.
We have khane and Avery for that role. I agree with you 100%. 4-3 and 4-2-5 is the way to go. It’s always been a solid defense at all levels. I believe it’s the best way to stop the run. Have an extra DL and let linebackers fill the gaps. You have to have linebackers who are good in coverage and diagnosing the play though. Hopefully Hicks, Etheridge, etc. prove to be a formidable group that can understand the system.

I heard someone say he runs a 4-3. We are building up to that with the emphasis on DL recruiting. I think we have a decent group of LBs but we haven’t pulled enough top flight guys lately to remain in that base defense. Hicks, Etheridge, Stewart, Abdullah, Pass, and Avery are the only guys I can think of that play LB and 3 are converted DBs. We just brought in 6 DL, 4 of which I believe can crack the rotation day 1:
Boykin
Love
Goldwire
Jackson
On top of that we have Greenard returning to play DE and GG at DT.
We are looking at 4 down linemen for the next defensive set IMO.
PJ Blue is an athletic large body. I think he'll be on the field somewhere next year(if healthy). I would definitely include him in the mix to be able to play 1 of our outside lb spots.

PJ Blue is an athletic large body. I think he'll be on the field somewhere next year(if healthy). I would definitely include him in the mix to be able to play 1 of our outside lb spots.
I always forget about Blue because of his injury troubles. He should be a good addition.

Reactions: Lifelongcard
Also, will our current talent work in his sets? This is very major short term issue.

I think once he gets a handle on the roster, and familiarizes himself with the personnel, then he'll be able to develop scheme. His MO, by all accounts, is that he likes to pressure the QB. I'm all for it.

I think once he gets a handle on the roster, and familiarizes himself with the personnel, then he'll be able to develop scheme. His MO, by all accounts, is that he likes to pressure the QB. I'm all for it.
^^^THIS. I've watched multiple You tubes on the guy and he is gonna play with the hand he is dealt. If he doesn't have adequate personnel to run a certain defense he won't run it as his base defense. He talks like his D will be personnel dictated and he can coach ANY type defense. He also says it's a good thing to have a number of defensive fronts depending on the opponents. So the guy seems to be flexible and not just stuck with one particular base defense. Kids are gonna have to be smart it seems to play for this guy as it seems to me he is gonna ask a lot in terms of switching defense at particular times as well as cross training individual positions.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT