ADVERTISEMENT

Contrast between FSU and UL; one has courage and the other does not

Four-Star Poster
Nov 28, 2002
The FSU lawsuit serves as an example of how one University has the courage and conviction to defend itself, despite having voluntarily signed a most enforceable Contract Agreement.

While I have no idea as to FSU’s ability to prevail in their legal challenge to the ACC Grant of Rights Agreement, most will concede that their decision to sue, will ultimately result at the very least in some reduced financial penalty as they exit from the ACC.

My only point here, is to demonstrate the contrast between how FSU is pursuing every possible legal remedy to protect the future integrity of the University, the citizens of the State of FL, and the huge Seminole Fanbase; versus the predictable and weak manner in which this UL Administration continues to take when faced with obstacles. In this instance, the University is placing it’s interest in one HC, a few basketball players and the selfish concerns coming from a very small portion within our community ………… over the much larger interest in the future of this University, the community as a whole and our own fanbase.

Any one who has any experience with Contract law will tell you that despite the strength of any legal document, there are always effective arguments that can successfully challenge the enforcement of both the terms and the language. Regardless of what may appear to be a strong contract, once there is a legal challenge, the likely result will be a negotiated settlement.

Proving “termination for cause” with respect to KP‘s performance will require the University to begin with deciding what is more important; the financial reward of an employee who has failed to perform anywhere close to his expectations, or the short and long term future of its Men’s Basketball Program, and what is in the best interest of this community?

I do not support FSU, or their efforts to challenge the ACC Grant of Rights. However, I must confess that I envy the sort of leadership FSU is exhibiting with this lawsuit; regrettably our University leadership will not follow that same path.

Pretty sure termination for cause is not anywhere on anyone’s radar when it comes to Kenny Payne. I can’t imagine the sh!t storm of negative publicity that UofL would receive for paying Bobby Petrino’s full $14 million contract and then we turn around and fight Kenny Payne’s $10 million-ish buyout.

The University of Louisville is not a very strong university ... in any regard. And that's only now. Not to mention how fast we are becoming even weaker. We are not poorly run. We are just adequately run. We do not have high aspirations.

No way would we take high-risk positions in lawsuits or negotiations. We don't have a state which would back us.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT