ADVERTISEMENT

What’s going on to our east?

The players did return after the Disciplinary Board decision. Coach Stoops announced Saturday morning that all were suspended from football activity (again) pending the legal process.

The way this has been reported has been extremely difficult to get a handle on. That's not a condemnation of any particular reporter , just a lot coming out at once.

I still think the timing of this has more to do with the courts finally 'catching up' to it due to the Covid court lockdowns.

Just two phrases I want to drop in here..
'Innocent until proven guilty' is one.
'Where theres smoke theres fire' another.
Buncha smoke. Hoping it's not a house fire.

The story has been out in the Lexington community for several months; as there were too many witnesses who saw and experienced the assaults to remain quiet. However, the timing of this event, coupled with the racial component, were sufficient to discourage the local media from wanting to report it.

The contrast between the manner in which local media cover UK and UL are striking. It took almost 5 months before the CJ and LH ran this story, and while the University continues its investigation, it is doubtful that any curious news reporters will be pushing editorials for the victims to receive justice. On the other hand, if this event took place at UL, we would be the subject of continuous editorials updating the lack of progress in penalizing the players, the coaches and the administrators.

Stoops only held the players out from Spring practice; all have since returned ”pending further investigation“. This UK story will not be covered anywhere close to how it would be reported if it was UL. There are already efforts by the University to penalize the fraternity; you cannot make this stuff up.
233 your comments are spot on. You are guilty of some understatement with the first sentence of your second paragraph. 😂👍👏. The editors of these newspapers along with the reporters for other media should be ashamed of themselves for their blatant treatment of UofL stories versus any and all uahkay stories. But what we have with those folks is the status quo and I do not foresee any change forthcoming. And that’s a darn shame. Either report ALL news accurately and fairly or just don’t report it at all.

GO CARDS!!!

Reactions: luv2hit63
The players did return after the Disciplinary Board decision. Coach Stoops announced Saturday morning that all were suspended from football activity (again) pending the legal process.

The way this has been reported has been extremely difficult to get a handle on. That's not a condemnation of any particular reporter , just a lot coming out at once.

I still think the timing of this has more to do with the courts finally 'catching up' to it due to the Covid court lockdowns.

Just two phrases I want to drop in here..
'Innocent until proven guilty' is one.
'Where theres smoke theres fire' another.
Buncha smoke. Hoping it's not a house fire.
Billoliver I think your comments have a “blue” shade to them. I agree that the “innocent until proven guilty” comment is accurate but media history locally proves that this is only true for uahkay stories as opposed to any story about UofL academically OR athletically. All UofL people want is fairness and honesty in reporting not fear from uahkay fans and authorities.

GO CARDS!!!

233 your comments are spot on. You are guilty of some understatement with the first sentence of your second paragraph. 😂👍👏. The editors of these newspapers along with the reporters for other media should be ashamed of themselves for their blatant treatment of UofL stories versus any and all uahkay stories. But what we have with those folks is the status quo and I do not foresee any change forthcoming. And that’s a darn shame. Either report ALL news accurately and fairly or just don’t report it at all.

GO CARDS!!!
Your last statement about reporting the news is exactly why I canceled my subscription to the CJ and refrain from watching the news except for the weather forecast. This behavior has been the norm for the last several years.

The story has been out in the Lexington community for several months; as there were too many witnesses who saw and experienced the assaults to remain quiet. However, the timing of this event, coupled with the racial component, were sufficient to discourage the local media from wanting to report it.

The contrast between the manner in which local media cover UK and UL are striking. It took almost 5 months before the CJ and LH ran this story, and while the University continues its investigation, it is doubtful that any curious news reporters will be pushing editorials for the victims to receive justice. On the other hand, if this event took place at UL, we would be the subject of continuous editorials updating the lack of progress in penalizing the players, the coaches and the administrators.

Stoops only held the players out from Spring practice; all have since returned ”pending further investigation“. This UK story will not be covered anywhere close to how it would be reported if it was UL. There are already efforts by the University to penalize the fraternity; you cannot make this stuff up.
Comments are spot on. There is nothing positive about this situation.

GO CARDS!!!

All players pleaded not guilty.
Mark Stoops has suspended all players from football activity pending the legal process. Also pointed the players have not been heard.

The gun is the thing.
I will say that the story Crawford put out while incredibly bad has some questions that we dont have any answers for.
It WAS a mighty precise description of an individual given by someone that was understandably scared...at 3 am, after a pretty long party night.
AND... a girl being pinned to a wall being beaten by a football player would seem to have been hospitalization instead of police saying "go home"......but perhaps that's where the photos came from.

Dunno....other than this is really bad in a ton of ways for everyone from the students to the UK Disciplinary Board to the Head Coach.

I think there is a hearing next week. We find out more then.

If this story and statements are accurate, then jail time is likely.

What a waste of opportunity.
This isn’t the first time this has occurred on a campus, and your correct they haven’t been heard. But the simple fact they were there is suspicious and why on earth would UK students go after their own FB players. Yeah this just does not look good for the players involved. And if proven to be true they threw an opportunity away for what? Dummies

This isn’t the first time this has occurred on a campus, and your correct they haven’t been heard. But the simple fact they were there is suspicious and why on earth would UK students go after their own FB players. Yeah this just does not look good for the players involved. And if proven to be true they threw an opportunity away for what? Dummies
Reasonable enough. I wish I had an answer of why people throw away those kinds of opportunities....I dont.

My comments earlier about the media are not to cover. As in any case, there are a lot of questions....how does a girl get thrown against the wall by an SEC safety and reportedly get beaten repeatedly get told by police to go home and not to the hospital? In the days of everyone has social media and a camera where have the pics and vids been? How do you remember the details of a persons attire down to color of basketball shorts when seen scared at 3 am after a night of partying. Given the details of the witness statement, why burglary and not assault and battery...along with forced entry?

On the other hand, and maybe a bigger question, is why come back to a place you're told twice you ain't wanted if you're a player? What gives you the right to force your way in? Why in the sam hill would six football players think they need a gun?

So yeah...lotta questions. Evidentiary hearing coming Wednesday. Even Mark Stoops wants (or says he wants) to see if there is new evidence not previously submitted. If there is, I would say at least one and maybe all these guys are done...and if there was a firearm, should be.
We find out about Wednesday evening.

But yeah.....this is a black eye on these players AND the program. Even if in some bizarre way proven untrue, this is gonna hang on everyone for years on end.

Actions have consequences.

Last edited:
Reactions: CardsFirst
When bad behavior is overlooked or the punishment isn’t severe/tough enough, some will continue with bad behavior. Word is more bad behavior happened long after that night.
Eric Crawford is the only sports writer in this city that has the 🏈🏀⚽️⚽️⚾️ to stick with this story.

Reasonable enough. I wish I had an answer of why people throw away those kinds of opportunities....I dont.

My comments earlier about the media are not to cover. As in any case, there are a lot of questions....how does a girl get thrown against the wall by an SEC safety and reportedly get beaten repeatedly get told by police to go home and not to the hospital? In the days of everyone has social media and a camera where have the pics and vids been? How do you remember the details of a persons attire down to color of basketball shorts when seen scared at 3 am after a night of partying. Given the details of the witness statement, why burglary and not assault and battery...along with forced entry?

On the other hand, and maybe a bigger question, is why come back to a place you're told twice you ain't wanted if you're a player? What gives you the right to force your way in? Why in the sam hill would six football players think they need a gun?

So yeah...lotta questions. Evidentiary hearing coming Wednesday. Even Mark Stoops wants (or says he wants) to see if there is new evidence not previously submitted. If there is, I would say at least one and maybe all these guys are done...and if there was a firearm, should be.
We find out about Wednesday evening.

But yeah.....this is a black eye on these players AND the program. Even if in some bizarre way proven untrue, this is gonna hang on everyone for years on end.

Actions have consequences.
I’m not sure individuals didn’t get medical treatment. Some aren’t willing to talk out of fear. Apparently according to the hearing the other day the players were stalking the fraternity. If true what in the world has gone there to empower players to that extent. The judge ordered the players to remain clear of the fraternity.

Reactions: rh62531
When bad behavior is overlooked or the punishment isn’t severe/tough enough, some will continue with bad behavior. Word is more bad behavior happened long after that night.
Eric Crawford is the only sports writer in this city that has the 🏈🏀⚽️⚽️⚾️ to stick with this story.
I agree. The others like picking on Louisville because they don’t fear our fan base. They’re terrified of UK fans. We’re talking about a fan base that has threatened a ref.

I’m not sure individuals didn’t get medical treatment. Some aren’t willing to talk out of fear. Apparently according to the hearing the other day the players were stalking the fraternity. If true what in the world has gone there to empower players to that extent. The judge ordered the players to remain clear of the fraternity.
I live several hours from Lexington, so am later than some on hearing news.
Stalking fraternity members is a major issue.
AND part of the evidence from Wednesday could be medical reports.
I am not surprised a judge ordered all parties to stay apart.
How you do that at a University may be questionable....or not. Athletes can be required to stay in certain areas.

Wednesday will provide some interesting information.

To correct a statement I have made more than once....
Under Kentucky Law, the KRS actually does list that in this case the charge would indeed be Burglary, possibly up a first degree felony if done with possession of a weapon or explosive device.
My apologies for questioning the charge. Assault and battery in the commission of a burglary elevate the charge.

What has escaped most here is the timing of Stoops suspending the accused. Stoops held the six (6) out of Spring practices following the March event; however his decision to reinstate for fall practice “as the legal process works out”, is totally disingenuous when we learn the Saturday’s decision to suspend them occurs only after the story went public the days preceding his statement.

BillOliver: I am framing this thread in terms of the contrast between the way the media (particularly local news print) treats UL vs UK. “Innocent until proven guilty” is a legal term, one that does not apply to public opinion. In this instance the witnesses who made statements at the time of the assault are a matter of record, and there can be no denial as to the events that occurred. With respect to the legal process; make no mistake about the amount of pressure that will be applied to the victims, in an effort to encourage dropping the charges, or accepting the lenient plea deals that so often accompany Fayette Co prosecutor recommendations when UK athletes are arraigned.

Someone will try to pay witnesses to recant. Then, if they take the money, they have them (witness) over a barrel.

Their worst nightmare in these things is a rich kid who goes to uk solely for a major field of study and does not “bleed blue”.

It may have already happened and that’s why the players were practicing.

I guess we’ll find out. Maybe. :rolleyes:

Ya know, nothing to see here, just good kids having fun bringing guns to threaten a bunch of wimpy frat kids. Sweep it under the rug. Hide it and cover it up Stoops and Lexghanistan Media!

• Haha
Reactions: katfanuno
Heres as many true facts as I can gather:
The Alpha Sigma Phi fraternity was put on probation for the following after this incident: failure to comply, hazing, misuse of alcohol, violation of Covid policies.(note...."failure to comply" may include not following direction from University or law enforcement, failure to identify themselves to authorities, and other issues). The probation runs to April 21st 2022.

Police reports that are released as now state a "physical altercation with unspecified injuries".

Entering a premises when the primary resident refuses entry is "Burglary" under Kentucky Law. (This charge can rise from 3rd to 1st degree with various factors)
"Burglary" is a felony in Kentucky, carrying a minimum of 1 year in prison at Judge discretion.
All 6 UK football players are charged with 1st degree burglary.
In Kentucky, burglary does not require immediate jail unless there is flight risk.
The school and coaching staff were notified in March when this occurred and all players suspended until review.
In June, the UK Disciplinary board met and determined they had not received evidence at that time that the 6 student athletes should be expelled. The players were allowed to practice.
When a Court hearing date was announced, the head football coach suspended the 6 players again with the statements of waiting the legal process and seeing if more evidence is produced other than what was given the university.

The Judge has told the players to stay away from the house and those that filed the complaint.

These are as solid a set of facts that I can find at this moment.
More to come, I'm sure.

Yes I believe they did. But Frats are on the hit list anyway.

The witness can always grow a pair and overcome bullying, but if they take payment for their silence? Their credibility is shot.

Folks and young so called adults usually grow a pair when stalking and harassment follow. College kids will do stupid with drinking, avoiding Covid by going off campus to party, hazing etc. All called dangerous.

But what happened was done by thugs.

Yes I believe they did. But Frats are on the hit list anyway.

The witness can always grow a pair and overcome bullying, but if they take payment for their silence? Their credibility is shot.
If there's one thing true, you hit the nail on the head. University's everywhere are trying to destroy fraternity life and make is a milk and cookies social club. I do agree issues of sexual violence against women in that culture needs to be addressed, but my nephew got in trouble at his school because he sent his pledges on a scavenger hunt because it's called hazing.

This is a perfect storm. UK can save their football team by blaming toxic white male frat culture.

If there's one thing true, you hit the nail on the head. University's everywhere are trying to destroy fraternity life and make is a milk and cookies social club. I do agree issues of sexual violence against women in that culture needs to be addressed, but my nephew got in trouble at his school because he sent his pledges on a scavenger hunt because it's called hazing.

This is a perfect storm. UK can save their football team by blaming toxic white male frat culture.
Except in this particular situation there are actually black members of the fraternity and a black women was actually hit.
Also heard on the radio today the judge hearing the case, well his son graduated from UK two years ago. And guess what his son played FB for Stoops. You can’t make this crap up. Not sure how this will shake out in court now..

Reactions: rh62531
Not a clue. Too many unknowns for me to be sure......but I dont this will be dismissed unless everything that has been written is incorrect.
Ten witness statements give indication everything is not incorrect.

I do not expect all six to be tried together if this progresses.

By the way, since the fraternity is off campus, local police department and courts are involved. Question the University admonishing of fraternity when members and others at the party were subjected to this event. There were several witnesses that came forward. Have heard of photos/video by some witnesses.

Except in this particular situation there are actually black members of the fraternity and a black women was actually hit.
Also heard on the radio today the judge hearing the case, well his son graduated from UK two years ago. And guess what his son played FB for Stoops. You can’t make this crap up. Not sure how this will shake out in court now..
The law says fair & impartial. Don’t believe this judge connected can or will oversee this case.

Reactions: CardsFirst
BillOliver: that was a most responsible update, and I for one appreciate “facts” regardless of which side it comes from.

I caught just a portion of yesterday’s UL sports radio program that appeared to be in direct communication with several of the witnesses. Perhaps not entirely an objective source, but it appeared from what I heard, there is a lot of support for the victims, and they are not going away.

The items the fraternity are cited for are generalized.....alcohol rules are general rules and get violated often. Hazing can be anything from wearing funny clothes to deadly, failure to comply could be anything. Violation of Covid policies is what it is. Because of the incident these were brought out and while possibly (probably?) Minor, the Student discipline board acted on those. I know of frats back in my day that wore 'probation' as a badge of honor. At this moment, that probation seems irrelevant to this case.

As to the Judge.....in this day of media scrutiny I dont know if what was listed is benefit for anyone. More relevant would be the judicial ruling history on past cases....and I dont know any of those.

I do not expect this case to go away. If it for some reason doesnt progress as a criminal trial (and there can be many reasons) I expect a following Civil suit.

At least half of everyone will not 'like' how this is decided. Everyone is somebody's friend, classmate, team mate, kid.

Like all these kinds of incidents at every school, it didn't have to happen.

But here we are.

I dont care what University these kids attend. Im tired of crap being swept under the rug good or bad for the football team!!! But then again some of the coaches arent setting the best examples either. Lefors4ever agree completely with the lexghanistan mafia comment. Hope you guys have a great season.

I dont care what University these kids attend. Im tired of crap being swept under the rug good or bad for the football team!!! But then again some of the coaches arent setting the best examples either. Lefors4ever agree completely with the lexghanistan mafia comment. Hope you guys have a great season.
Kids fail because of adults failing to be responsible. We see that in a lot of places, not just in this state, but all over. UK's staff is setting a toxic example it seems.

But to all involved, I want everyone safe and healthy for the Thanksgiving weekend game. No excuses, I want their best shot and it will be sweeeeet to beat them with the 6 brawlers.

Reactions: PHCARD
Waived to the Grand Jury. The judge has granted this to proceed, so on to the next step.....whenever that is. Living down in Todd County I have no clue to when the Fayette County/District Grand Jury meets.
In the hands of the prosecutor and Grand Jury to decide to proceed or not now.

Kids fail because of adults failing to be responsible. We see that in a lot of places, not just in this state, but all over. UK's staff is setting a toxic example it seems.

But to all involved, I want everyone safe and healthy for the Thanksgiving weekend game. No excuses, I want their best shot and it will be sweeeeet to beat them with the 6 brawlers.
I agree with the health wishes. Both our programs have had tragedy in the past few seasons...the Chris Oats situation breaks my heart every time I think about it.
Honestly as far as the players charged, one could have shown a good bit of action in Vito Tisdale, McClain could have seen some, but most of the others weren't likely to be heavy in the rotation this year.

By the way, totally off subject.... both our teams lost some NFL guys the past couple days.....Drake Jackson and J. Hawkins waived and Lynn Bowden on IR...his season is over.

The law says fair & impartial. Don’t believe this judge connected can or will oversee this case.
What’s funny is that one of the police officers on the scene that night was a UK graduate oh and he played FB for Stoops🧐

Reactions: PHCARD
According to PHCard the judge waived the case to the Grand Jury
The story is in local media now (WDRB) but there’s not a sports reporter name attached to the story. Why wouldn’t Eric Crawford carry on what he started? I believe we can figure that out.

Reactions: CommodoreCard
The LH, the CJ, and most every media outlet in Jefferson and Fayette Co will avoid addressing this story until there are criminal indictments. That will depend entirely on whether the prosecutor arrived at this stage wanting an exoneration or taking this to the next legal process. The old “ham sandwich” analogy applied to Grand Juries will apply here, and it rests with the intent of the prosecutor.

Where is BOZO? Sullivan? Forde? ESPN? Why is Drew punkass Franklin not spouting his normal puke. Double standard and it makes me sick!

Reactions: CommodoreCard
Does anyone have a pic of the new shirt design calling out the UK player that was “strapped “, “L’s up guns down “?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT