ADVERTISEMENT

Vs Virginia Tech

TheRealVille

5000+
Apr 27, 2015
The women have the same turnover problem that the men have. A lot of unforced and careless turnovers.

Officiating in the women's game is notoriously subpar, but this year it seems to have been better. However, that hasn't been the case in this game tonight.

Carr hasn't made a 3 and we're down only 4. If we limit the turnovers in the 2nd half, we should pull out the win.

Their TOs tonight have been minimal. HVL has been stellar and Morgan is having a really good game. Refs are letting Kitley do whatever she wants. If we bump her at all they blow the whistle.

Neither Carr or Jones are impressive. Carr over penetrates and takes ill advised shots and Jones can’t hold on to the ball. She’s had three really bad turnovers because she simply loses the ball.

I am unable to watch the game so I am keeping up with it by checking the score every few minutes. I can’t say it is any less stressful doing it this way.

Louisville just can't get the loose balls. Every single time they couldn't grab the loose ball, VT would score, usually with a 3 pointer. Every single time. It's unreal.

Louisville would have a 3 or 4 point lead and it looks like they made a stop, only to not get the loose ball. Boom, 3 pointer. And the officials are horrible, calling phantom fouls on 3 point plays.

This weird season continues.

Reactions: CardsFirst
That was a horrible shot. Should have been Jones to the inside

Their TOs tonight have been minimal. HVL has been stellar and Morgan is having a really good game. Refs are letting Kitley do whatever she wants. If we bump her at all they blow the whistle.
They had 10 first half turnovers leading to 12 VT points. That's not minimal.

The 2nd half they can't seem to get the loose balls.

I couldn’t watch the game but looking at the box score we lost this game in the 1st period. When we play good teams you can’t get off to a slow start and we seem to do that a lot.

They had 10 first half turnovers leading to 12 VT points. That's not minimal.

The 2nd half they can't seem to get the loose balls.
Compared to what they have been doing - it was minimal. Lots of home cooking for the Hokies.

Reactions: Deeva
Soule. Talking trash all night. They could have hit her with about three technical fouls.

Harris played pretty well first half, I’m not sure she got in 2nd half.

Reactions: Bardman
How many bigs do the Cards need? They have 4. Cochran and Dixon, Williams and Harris. Walz went small because he needed Robinson out there. Williams played well but fouls got her too. Harris played well when she was in.

They didn't lose this game because of a lack of front court players. They lost because of the turnovers and the foul trouble. They still almost won despite all of that.

Still, Walz has to clamp down on the reckless turnovers. VT would have lost by 6 tonight had Louisville had committed only half of their turnovers.

At the risk of being too superstitious, this loss tonight looked like one of those "meant to be" games. It didn't matter what the Cards did to get a 4+ point lead, something fortunate would happen for VT to get the lead back.

This season is starting to look like a "meant to be season." A lot of teams are getting back at the Cardinals for years of domination. It's so hard to believe we have 6 losses this early with the abundance of talent on this roster.

Maybe it's coach Walz's turn for one of those weird seasons? It happened to coach McDonnell a couple years ago when the usually dominant baseball team didn't make the post season.

2013 was the year of the Cardinals but ten years later, it's the year of beating the Cardinals. Hopefully the baseball team will start a new season of winning which will continue with the football team and conclude with both hoops teams.

Reactions: HiStepper
If we can keep improving and learn from our mistakes we could be a really dangerous and overlooked team come tournament time.
This I do agree. I think Jones played better tonight and Williams should get more minutes.

HVL is a absolute star who's also the anchor on the court. Walz just needs to figure out how to play Robinson with the bigs on the court and get Carr more 3 point shots. I would also like to see Harris on the court.

With all this depth and ability, Louisville should be a team no one wants to face come March. Remember the 85/86 men's champions who lost their 7th game with only like 16 wins? With all that talent and a great coach?

They didn't lose again.

I, too, thought Dixon and Williams (the true two posts) played well. Olivia: 1. Commits too many silly fouls and she also gets some garbage calls against her. 2. To me, her bread and butter is in the paint. Yet, so many of her touches are on the perimeter. She needs the ball in the paint and let her get to work. HVL was amazing last night. Morgan has lapses; she cleans up those lapses and plays like she did last night we’ll really make a jump forward.

How many bigs do the Cards need? They have 4. Cochran and Dixon, Williams and Harris. Walz went small because he needed Robinson out there. Williams played well but fouls got her too. Harris played well when she was in.

They didn't lose this game because of a lack of front court players. They lost because of the turnovers and the foul trouble. They still almost won despite all of that.

Still, Walz has to clamp down on the reckless turnovers. VT would have lost by 6 tonight had Louisville had committed only half of their turnovers.
Walz always has to go small if he wants his team to play defense. Cochran averages less than 10 pts. She got into foul trouble, usually not defending the post but when she tries to guard a quicker player. Velhurst is still our 5th leading scorer and she hasn't played in over 2 weeks. Dixon and Harris are both about 5 pts and while I agree Williams needs to play more, she averages 3.8. She's a bigger post player but doesn't run the court as good as Olivia. I guess I should have said "effective front court players". We couldn't stop Kitley or Soule in the first half and then their guards hit big shots in the 3rd and 4th quarters.

Reactions: Bardman
One of the things that Olivia does really well, is rebound on the defensive end and her foul situation forced her to the bench ..........resulting in most of those offensive rebounds that punished the otherwise excellent half-court defense that we exhibited all the way down to late in the shot clock.

There were some really bad calls at the most critical times against the Cards; one in particular, was when Kitley went over HVL's back to get a rebound and put back late in the game that cost us 3 critical points. CJW, HVL and those in attendance could not believe they called the foul on Hailey.

Losing by 1 point on the road at VT, with a healthy Kitley back in the lineup, tells me we are actually making progress. That may sound strange, but the home court advantage in the ACC this year is huge, and we are still in the hunt.

When this team learns to play better defense especially team help defense their fortune will change. This team has not demonstrated they can play the lock down defense other Walz teams have played. As Realville pointed out this just may be one of those seasons when you pay so to speak for all your previous luck and success.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT