ADVERTISEMENT

Virginia Tech

These freaking announcers ...it's not Forbes,it's Williams calling the pitches.
It's been like this for years with announcers. Unless someone points out the pitches are called by the coach, most announcers assume the pitcher is making the pitch calls.

And they shouldn't because it's very obvious the pitches are not being decided by the pitchers. There's no pitchers shaking off pitches by the catcher. Yet, the announcers call the game like it's a MLB game.

By the way, I hate pitches being called by the coach. If I were a top HS pitcher, I would not go to a college that calls the pitches. It's like training wheels

Well, this is a total mismatch. VT making us look like a HS team. It is what it is I suppose. Cards apparently have only one pitcher good enough to compete with top hitting teams.

It's a long way from Funkhouser, McKay, Miller and Detmers.

Tried to tell you all. Maybe Heird needs another coaching search? McDonnell’s pissy attitude toward the university has done him in imo. If Napelton hadn’t hit 3 homers the first game we would have gotten swept. How often will someone hit 3 homers a game?

It's been like this for years with announcers. Unless someone points out the pitches are called by the coach, most announcers assume the pitcher is making the pitch calls.

And they shouldn't because it's very obvious the pitches are not being decided by the pitchers. There's no pitchers shaking off pitches by the catcher. Yet, the announcers call the game like it's a MLB game.

By the way, I hate pitches being called by the coach. If I were a top HS pitcher, I would not go to a college that calls the pitches. It's like training wheels
You’ll find most college teams call pitches from the dugout. It’s why you see so many catchers with a speaker in their ear.

Tried to tell you all. Maybe Heird needs another coaching search? McDonnell’s pissy attitude toward the university has done him in imo. If Napelton hadn’t hit 3 homers the first game we would have gotten swept. How often will someone hit 3 homers a game?
#4 of Va Tech has hit three today.

Reactions: earsky
Tried to tell you all. Maybe Heird needs another coaching search? McDonnell’s pissy attitude toward the university has done him in imo...
Why should CDM be happy that the school reneged on a major financial commitment? Find me a good coach who would say "no problem" at U of L or anywhere else.

The last thing we need is Heird trying to address another amazing coincidence...

Very disappointed. Going to be a tough year just due to how good the ACC has is.

Why should CDM be happy that the school reneged on a major financial commitment? Find me a good coach who would say "no problem" at U of L or anywhere else.

The last thing we need is Heird trying to address another amazing coincidence...
That doesn’t mean you tank, which he has.

It means there's a valid reason he's unhappy. Now we have fans saying it's justified starving nonrevenue sports because we have money problems.

Find me an unhappy employee who does a good job anyway...

It means there's a valid reason he's unhappy. Now we have fans saying it's justified starving nonrevenue sports because we have money problems.

All the wealthy folks willing to fork over $$$ to see Payne gone,where are the private donors for baseball? It's obvious that's the only way the baseball practice facility is getting done.

Reactions: the artist FKA zipp
We all want to win. And “just win baby” is a gross oversimplification of what’s required. Everything hangs together.

Donors and money didn’t mysteriously disappear anymore than they will magically reappear. I’ve talked to way too many fans in this community to believe that…

There are plenty of people not happy with their circumstances who work hard at their job…that’s an absurd statement. Especially Christians whom Dan claims to be.

Well, it happened in back to back games in this series.

There are plenty of people not happy with their circumstances who work hard at their job…that’s an absurd statement. Especially Christians whom Dan claims to be.
It ain’t about religion, and it’s not “absurd.” It’s about attitude. Try managing people sometime.

I agree that CDM’s may not be what it once was. A lot has changed.

He also does a lot more than “claim.” Stop hating, and quit showing your ignorance…

This is real simple. Since Covid they have totally missed on pitching. This pitching staff is garbage. Your Friday night starter is a transfer and a good one. Their Saturday starter is a guy that is a 5th year senior that was never a starter and he doesn’t break 90. Their Sunday starter is the whole staff. That is it. It has been crappy recruiting…..period. It has been crappy development.

It is complete BS is to blame funding as their issue. I played baseball. You can work on your pitching or hitting in a freaking garage. It is like Cal complaining about him not getting a practice facility. Anytime the weather is good they practice outside.

Now if NIL is an issue that is fine. The issue is he didn’t want to hit the portal hard. That is on him. He didn’t properly evaluate his currently pitching staff.

Reactions: TPACardsFan
…It is complete BS is to blame funding as their issue. I played baseball. You can work on your pitching or hitting in a freaking garage. It is like Cal complaining about him not getting a practice facility. Anytime the weather is good they practice outside…
CDM is a carryover from times when we invested to build these programs. The old adage was that Jurich would ask these coaches—all of them—what they needed to be successful. And if they convinced him, he went out and delivered it.

Unless you’re alleging CDM is exaggerating what he needs, with all due respect, I think I’ll take his word over yours. Not to mention and without acknowledging it, you’re also suggesting another amazing coincidence…

He has said over and over they have plenty of talent. Talent he recruited. At no point has he said it has impacted his ability to land recruits. Recruiting rankings also tell us that isn’t the issue.

Stick with your narrative. I know baseball and pitching has dropped significantly. Kroger is good example throws mid to high 90’s legit MLB arm has struggled every year. Nothing to do with investments. He can’t hit spots. Now if you have specifics on pitchers he missed because of this lacking of investment please share. You won’t which is typical.

He earned his status and he is a great coach but he needs to adjust to the portal. There is no reason he shouldn’t hit to portal hard for pitchers. Their pitchers aren’t developing. You can find legit starters in the portal, he proved that with their Friday night guy.

Look,as far back as I can remember,there's something a little off with the clubhouse over here. Too many guys looking towards the Draft,parents getting in the mix with sons not getting enough field time,heads hanging for the same reason,etc.

Our problems are inward. There is talented players,there are several talented guys this year,veterans not playing enough,youngsters feeling the same way. You've got to have players step up and lead.
It's not all on the coaching when you run a players first program intent on forwarding careers.

Yep, as I figured it has nothing the to do with the actual game of baseball.
I'd say the baseball coach has to do with baseball. You also raised the issue of "narrative."

Which BTW I'm not alone in sharing. The guy in post #87 made the focus on CDM. Or maybe others did previously. I was just agreeing with him/them...

Last edited:
I agree. I do think there has been something off. It is tough to maintain. I think college sports has shifted with the portal and developing players can’t be the sole focus. You have to mix in veteran guys with the young guys especially with pitchers.

The guys they are bringing in aren’t developing which is odd. I don’t understand how you go into the season with Webster as your Saturday guy and no one as your Sunday guy. How does that happen? To me it is on the coaches. Based of their actual performance expecting Koger, Corbin, Phillips, Grundy, Webster, and Campbell to carry the load was wishful thinking. Again, their Friday night guy is a stud and he is a transfer.

I think they have talent in the field and at the plate. The younger guys are better. They will be fine.

I really think this will be the worst Louisville team in his tenure. Their pitching is just a mess. You can survive poor hitting, you are screwed if you can’t pitch.

I'd say the baseball coach has to do with baseball. You also raised the issue of "narrative."

Which BTW I'm not alone in sharing. The guy is post #87 brought the issue up. I was just agreeing with him...
You aren’t discussing the actual play. You are adding in subjective issues. There is no way to prove or disprove your point.

My point pitching sucks because they suck. It is easy to see. If you want to address that with things that have actually happened that led to those results fine go ahead. You won’t you never do.

Reactions: The Flight Deck
You aren’t discussing the actual play. You are adding in subjective issues. There is no way to prove or disprove your point.

My point pitching sucks because they suck. It is easy to see. If you want to address that with things that have actually happened that led to those results fine go ahead. You won’t you never do.
Again, I didn’t raise the issue of CDM. You’re blaming me for a discussion of something “subjective” anyway. Get your facts straight.

And try as we might, everything can’t be “proven or disproven.” That doesn’t make the debate irrelevant. It may just mean it can’t be conclusively debated.

We may agree the problem is CDM, but WHY is important. I don’t necessarily agree with your theory on that. Coaches like him didn’t have issues when this athletic department was clocking along. To me, that’s significant…

Roger Williams calls too many fastballs,I know that much.
Sorry but if you know who Forbes is you know that's primarily all he has. He just couldn't keep the ball down. Notice when we to the junk pitchers, we actually started shutting them down. You don't call pitchers secondary stuff. But yes, Forbes was a bad matchup.

Sorry but if you know who Forbes is you know that's primarily all he has. He just couldn't keep the ball down. Notice when we to the junk pitchers, we actually started shutting them down. You don't call pitchers secondary stuff. But yes, Forbes was a bad matchup.
I think I made this post before the game started and I meant just in general. Tbs, there's nothing wrong with calling fastballs if you can locate them,much like their guy was. We've got some young arms that are really lively but can't keep that fastball down like you said or in the outer or inner part of the plate.

Credit the guy #4 for his accomplishments yesterday. Those were all off speed pitches he hit out. He just looked like he knew what was coming.

Btw, look for a couple of veterans to push their way back into possible weekend starting spots. Mac mentioned Koger and Corbett after the game

Heard that from CDM. Unfortunately he’s guessing with these pitchers. One has a good outing, maybe two, then he gets shelled in a starting role.

At least that’s been the pattern. I’d love to hear that he and Williams have figured this out, or at least something…

Heard that from CDM. Unfortunately he’s guessing with these pitchers. One has a good outing, maybe two, then he gets shelled in a starting role.

At least that’s been the pattern. I’d love to hear that he and Williams have figured this out, or at least something…
Scouting reports mean so much that inevitably it comes down to keeping the hitters off balance. It is but one game within the game but it's a big one. Koger has had some really good stuff of late and he may be the guy to get the Sunday start. I just didn't think Webster had his best stuff Saturday. It does fall on Williams to know his staff and their strengths,applying that to the pitch sequences for these elite hitters especially.

Look,as far back as I can remember,there's something a little off with the clubhouse over here. Too many guys looking towards the Draft,parents getting in the mix with sons not getting enough field time,heads hanging for the same reason,etc.

Our problems are inward. There is talented players,there are several talented guys this year,veterans not playing enough,youngsters feeling the same way. You've got to have players step up and lead.
It's not all on the coaching when you run a players first program intent on forwarding careers.
You would know better than I, but when I'm at games, they sure look like a unit, a team that shares the same goal. My thoughts on this past weekend are this- Va. Tech is a better team. Pitching woes have dogged the program for the last couple of seasons. Mac always says "throw strikes," "pound the zone." Well, our guys did that. Va Tech just lit them up. It wasn't ideal Va. Tech's 3rd starter tossed the game of his life yesterday.

It ain’t about religion, and it’s not “absurd.” It’s about attitude. Try managing people sometime.

I agree that CDM’s may not be what it once was. A lot has changed.

He also does a lot more than “claim.” Stop hating, and quit showing your ignorance…
Shut up Prick!

You would know better than I, but when I'm at games, they sure look like a unit, a team that shares the same goal.
Yeah I agree that they do but it's mostly the things we can't see. It's funny you mention Tech because they probably are loaded with a bunch of really good college players,a few that will be drafted and go on to have a career at this game. It just seems there are too many over here that aren't playing loosely like those Tech kids. Add to that guys worrying about not being on the field and they start squeezing the bat too hard when they are.
To me,if you concentrate on doing what's best as a player for the team and team goals,you'll shine as an individual. We thought it was a good problem to have with all the depth but maybe not if guys aren't willing to be happy with their roles. Unhappy players,unhappy coaches. Tough mix.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT