ADVERTISEMENT

Virginia Tech

Based on how solid the bullpen has been? I would have had at least 1 more arm soft tossing. Gongora went 6. Wouldn't have damaged anything having somebody else ready.

Particularly knowing how CDM will let pitchers hang around. You don't want that hang around lead to disaster while someone needs to warm up.

Particularly knowing how CDM will let pitchers hang around. You don't want that hang around lead to disaster while someone needs to warm up.
Your thoughts are exactly why it’s fairly difficult managing a baseball team. Let them hang around. Don’t let them hang around. Loosen up the arms, but how many? All the while trying to win a game.

Reactions: UofLouisville
Nothing wrong with a little soft toss to warm up without overextended is all I'm saying. When your starter goes more than 5 it's not much on your bullpen. And if it is you got more problems than getting a couple of arms ready.

Reactions: Bardman
McDonnell left Phillips in way too long. He should not have been in to face that right handed hitter because of the threat of the 3 run homer.

Then after surrendering the 3 run shot, Phillips still wasn't removed. After another walk he was finally removed. Imagine how we all would feel had the Cards blew a 6 run 9th inning lead after getting the first two outs?

It never should have gotten that close. Phillips was obviously struggling and the pressure was building on him. Now I'm sure McDonnell was trying to maintain Phillips confidence to get out of trouble, but it didn't work and it got pretty scary there for a moment.

McDonnell is a players manager that's for sure, but sometimes that's going to backfire and it happens more with his pitching staff decisions. It's just who he is. I wouldn't have had Gongora start the 7th inning with 94 pitches and a 5 run lead.

It worked out this time, but next time it may not. Hopefully our bullpen gets figured out soon who the set up and closer are. Maybe McDonnell will go to the bullpen sooner when he has more confidence in who he brings in?

Reactions: rh62531 and Bardman
I think the other story in this game is our inability to bury the Hokies by leaving so many runners on base in those middle innings. I'm thrilled with the win,but there were some head scratching at bats.
I do think the guys will learn from it and try to do better pushing across every run they can. It damn near cost us today.

I think the other story in this game is our inability to bury the Hokies by leaving so many runners on base in those middle innings. I'm thrilled with the win,but there were some head scratching at bats.
I do think the guys will learn from it and try to do better pushing across every run they can. It damn near cost us today.
We hit well but your right, a few more hits in key spots and this game would have been outta reach

Anderson taking two strikes with the bases loaded wasn't good, but there was a lot of hard hit balls for outs with runners on. Nine runs should be good enough to win when your starting pitcher is on his game. It's the relief pitching that is in need of consistency.

Yeah,you can get away with it against lesser competition but not against ACC teams and really a team like Tech that knows how to knock it out of the park up and down their lineup. Expecting another doozy of a game today.
Let's get on our toes and get this series today Cards!

How many times is 1 player going to hit 3 home runs in a game? We got lucky, the next 2 will tell the tale.

It's not how,but how many. We had just enough. Good thing about this team is it could be somebody different on any given day. Tbs, I believe there are some guys that need to get it going in clutch situations.

Not starting Napleton today is a perfect example of McDonnel's questionable decision making. It just doesn't make any sense. I can't think of any hitter who went 3 for 3 with 3 homers, a walk and a sacrifice fly, who wouldn't be shocked not to start the next game.

See this is why I'm frustrated at McDonnell. Not having Napleton and Humphrey starting in game two of this series could cost the Cards the game.

Good thing Benson got the two out, two rbi hit to get the Cards within one run. Lippe should not be starting and leading off in this game. Hasn't the starting lineup been determined during the pre conference schedule?

I think the only starting spot that is in question is Hoy/Alicea. McDonnell shouldn't still be experimenting with the lineup in conference play. Just my opinion.

Reactions: UofLouisville
Left Webster in too long.
Not using Napleton as DH.
Second poor outing for Detmers.
We had Kayden ready for their lefty and Dan left Detmers in. Pop! Base hit.
Geez

McCoy still can’t hit the slider.
Lippe on deck for some reason.
Just don’t understand these decisions.
- Bring in anyone to hit for Lippe
- Logan for Anderson
- Why Alex over Hoy today?
CDM - I love’em; but, damn, some of these moves are really odd.

• Love
Reactions: earsky
Lippe has got an ugly hitch before he swings. I don't see how he gets around on a fastball. Also not sure why coach is asking for a sac bunt down so many runs, particularly with a guy batting over .400

McCoy still can’t hit the slider.
Lippe on deck for some reason.
Just don’t understand these decisions.
- Bring in anyone to hit for Lippe
- Logan for Anderson
- Why Alex over Hoy today?
CDM - I love’em; but, damn, some of these moves are really odd.
It's a real ball of confusion today

We've got this weird mix of guys that either jump on the first thing out of the pitcher's hand...or they sit up the guys that fall behind early swinging at balls in the dirt then watch as strike 3 goes by.
With runners in scoring position,you've got to fight.

It's like McDonnell is still undecided what his lineup is. I know he has a deep team, but there needs to be a consistent starting lineup, which includes platooning left/right hitters.

In the outfield, Benson, Moore and Humphrey should be the starters with King platooning with Humphrey.

Klein and Napleton rotating at catcher with the other DH. Rose could platoon at DH with Klein when Napleton starts at catcher.

The infield lineup is set with Beard being ready if Anderson or McCoy get into deep slumps.

Seems pretty simple to me. Lippe and Alicea need to be ready but wait for their turn.

So, does anyone know why Napleton was DNP? Bizarre.
I have a theory that basically everybody and their brother played in this game except for Napleton and Hoy🧐 and I can only explain that as either they caught a bug or curtain #2. Could be something as simple as breaking curfew. They're both at least 21 years old,so...🤷
That's the only thing that makes sense to me on one of the weirder days at Patterson in a minute. Hell,now that I think about it,did Humphries play?

I believe CDM will answer the question about an individual sitting out if he was asked.
No one talks about Roger Williams anymore; what’s up with that?

I believe CDM will answer the question about an individual sitting out if he was asked.
No one talks about Roger Williams anymore; what’s up with that?
Roger Williams calls too many fastballs,I know that much.

What happened? Turned on the game and we are already down a run. And…RH pitcher so we start a RH DH…???

What happened? Turned on the game and we are already down a run. And…RH pitcher so we start a RH DH…???
They're feasting on our pitchers,guessing right. Gonna have to score some runs to win

These freaking announcers ...it's not Forbes,it's Williams calling the pitches.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT