ADVERTISEMENT

UofL baseball thread

A homecoming of sorts tonight. Chris Lemonis, former asst at U of L returns as HC at Indiana along with Kyle Cheeseborough. Chris is 31-18 in only his 2nd year and IU is ranked 27th nationally in some polls. We love you Chris but we can't give up our 18 game home win streak.

Reactions: earsky
Pretty iffy. Only a 15% chance at 6 but increases to 40% by 7 pm. With our field it only has to be not raining hard or have lightning not to get the game in. With postseason coming up, they'll want to get this game in if possible. McClure goes for 11-0!!!

Cards need FSU to take 2 games from Miami this weekend, which is possible, while sweeping Wake Forest on the road!!
That would give Cards a .700 win percentage and Miami a .689, giving us the overall best record in the ACC.
Go Cards!

Reactions: American Male
Dang, Miami came back and beat FSU last night. Cards beat WF as McKay got his 11 win. Hairston with a HR. That pretty much wraps up the division but still need Miami to lose the last two to get top overall seed.

The fine tuning continues.Not quite as clean as the past weekend,but I'll take it.We're playing a very hungry group that needs one win in this series to get in ACC Tourney.It won't be easy,but I think it keeps the team focused on what's coming.

Maybe not as clean, but very, very forceful, lol. McKay struggled the entire game but, instead of getting the shutout, Corey screwed up a simple single and turned it into a home run. It was a gift to them, calling it anything but a single and a 3 base error.

But McKay willed that game into a win. He didn't have his A stuff at all.

Reactions: zipp and earsky
But McKay willed that game into a win. He didn't have his A stuff at all.
Yes he did.And when I said it wasn't clean,it was that play by Corey and Rosey's base running gaffe that kept it from being clean.I guess I've gotten spoiled lately watching this team play seamlessly.

Yes he did.And when I said it wasn't clean,it was that play by Corey and Rosey's base running gaffe that kept it from being clean.I guess I've gotten spoiled lately watching this team play seamlessly.
LOL, there are worser things in the world. You could be a UK fan, :)

Reactions: American Male
Ha! Definitely could be worse.

I didn't see the game today,but listened on 93.9.It sounded like Funk battled back strong again after falling behind early.I'm rootin for him big time.

Someone could be getting a bargain with Funk in a few weeks. His draft stock has gone down, but the guy can still throw with the best. If this mental stuff is just a phase and he works thru it, he'll be fine. Years to go...

Reactions: Senore2006
He was throwing faster than ever yesterday, clocked at 96-97. He's actually getting better. A different grip and he could get more movement on his heater, which is all he lacks. He'll probably go second round. No one in the college game has his raw stuff. He could easily throw 120 pitches a game - every game - and he will last a season instead of needing shutting down. He is a born workhorse. The coaches mention he has been a bit snakebit this season and they are more or less correct. Yesterday, we played a Wake team fighting for its life and they knew they had to jump on him early - they had no other plan. He badly hung a curve to the Chinese Home Run by the first guy and Sheets turned on the ball like he will as a major leaguer, bouncing it off the foul pole. After that, Funk absolutely owned them - and it wasn't close.

He'll pitch the Championship Game in the ACC Tourney next Sunday. Judge him then. It's coming up on money time.

Reactions: earsky
He was throwing faster than ever yesterday, clocked at 96-97. He's actually getting better. A different grip and he could get more movement on his heater, which is all he lacks. He'll probably go second round. No one in the college game has his raw stuff. He could easily throw 120 pitches a game - every game - and he will last a season instead of needing shutting down. He is a born workhorse. The coaches mention he has been a bit snakebit this season and they are more or less correct. Yesterday, we played a Wake team fighting for its life and they knew they had to jump on him early - they had no other plan. He badly hung a curve to the Chinese Home Run by the first guy and Sheets turned on the ball like he will as a major leaguer, bouncing it off the foul pole. After that, Funk absolutely owned them - and it wasn't close.

He'll pitch the Championship Game in the ACC Tourney next Sunday. Judge him then. It's coming up on money time.
Don't know if he will pitch the championship game yet or not. ACC tournament plays a round robin pool play tournament as opposed to double elimination. Everyone plays at least 3 games. This is going to test just how deep our pitching staff really is. I feel really good with MCClure this year. Worried about how effective Kidston can be if we need him.

I think it's obvious that we stick with our rotation. If we were to face a team with 4-5 lefthanded batters, I guess we might juggle things to get Harrington or McKay going against them. I feel the same about McClure. We are absurdly deep with quality arms. With Burdi to mop up, things are awesome.

Incidentally, in the teleconference call today with all the ACC coaches, the BC coach said "Louisville may be the best college baseball team I have ever seen."

Reactions: nccardfan
Senore,

I think you were right. Looks like Funk for the championship game if it plays out like we hope!
Harrington might be the best but I like giving the ball to Funk. I think he has earned it!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT